Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The best game is Xenoblade Chronicles X because it's by far the dumbest. There's a whole sidequest chain involving getting aliens addicted to pizza, the game is fascinated with the running gag of cooking and eating the obnoxious Nopon sidekick, you're given three extra party slots with like twenty characters to choose from yet have to have two specific characters with you for 90% of quests, and there's literally a character named Murderess whose hobby is murdering people. It also has a delightfully crazy OST.

It may be the best but apparently isn't worth finishing an LP over :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chronicles X is one of the best games I ever played and that's including massive minuses for the weird story, obnoxious vocal mix on the cutscenes music and all around annoying bullshit.

The world exploration in XCX amazing and has completely ruined open worlds for me including Zelda BotW. It's such a perfect mix of offline MMO, incremental exploration rewards, and just getting to places is fun in itself. It couldn't have been economical, can't be economical, and I don't think I'm going to see anything like it again.

Character progression is delightfully dumb. You go from getting eaten by everything, to at least surviving a but as you do an overly long quest line to get giant robots, then your giant robots is like drat I'm big. But then, the giant robot gets deprecated too. You look up a weird build on the internet and you learn how to arbitrarily trigger going super Saiyan and get a weird techno song to play while you shut out laser beams.

XCX is a game of contrasts. The main story is awful monster if the week stuff with ooh evil aliens but you have delightful bullshit about integrating with aliens and messing with nopons and a lady named Murderess. The music invoiced cutscenes at dramatic moments have vocals playing in the background, but some of the tracks on their own are awesome, buttrock, and awesome buttrock.

It's all so dumb. It's all so awesome. It's maybe the one game I want to take an amnesia pill and play again cause I know it's not going to be as good a second time. It's definitely gonna lose something in an LP even if someone manages to wrangle that quixotic insane game into a post by post format.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 7, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenogears has giant robots and motorcycles and flying techno cities but it never really stops feeling like a Fantasy game and I'm never sure why.

It's because it falls into the trap of sci-fi RPGs that nosedive into fantasy. There are giant robots and flying cities that Soylent Green their people but most of the towns you visit have strong religion/fantasy vibes, plus there's such a strong presence of Jewish mysticism/religion all over the place, down to a lot of the town names. FF6 kind of gives me a similar vibe, there's an evil techno empire with robots and a castle with a giant engine that lets it go underground, but the fantasy influences are way stronger.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Xenosaga also had a bit of a horror vibe that set it apart from other RPGs. And the shotgun approach to religious iconography probably appealed to anyone who went through an Eva phase.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1478616607299862528?t=evmeRd0zbzJ7Li3EXmUnQg&s=19

Has this been mentioned

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh gently caress this looks really cool

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well hello hello hello

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's because it falls into the trap of sci-fi RPGs that nosedive into fantasy. There are giant robots and flying cities that Soylent Green their people but most of the towns you visit have strong religion/fantasy vibes, plus there's such a strong presence of Jewish mysticism/religion all over the place, down to a lot of the town names. FF6 kind of gives me a similar vibe, there's an evil techno empire with robots and a castle with a giant engine that lets it go underground, but the fantasy influences are way stronger.

There's a pretty valid reason for that in the story, though.

Compared with Star Ocean which is basically just "oh we went to a planet that just happens to be exactly like medieval Europe with dragons and poo poo".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

I still inexplicably want the DS version that combines Episode 1 and 2 into a single game

I imported it and beat it, despite knowing zero Japanese. Supposedly it tweaks some of the XS2 story to better fit but uh, I couldn't tell you lmao

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Someone earlier in this thread was listing *the* epic moment for each mainline game and for 2 they said it was "I'm the emperor of hell now!" or something but it's really Guy speak beaver

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Which guy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's only one Guy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That guy?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Stop talking about XBX because you're gonna make me plug in my Wii U to play that delightfully stupid and weird game again.
Nintendo really needs to port that poo poo to the Switch. God knows I'd buy it.

Yeah! Huh! Yeah!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It'd probably be easier to just play it on an emulator

Wind Walker HD was really gorgeous at 4K

e: I'm 100% sure you can use a Wiimote with Citra but only 99% sure you can use a WiiU gamepad

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lol for all players Aerith is assigned the freelancer job

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kazuya Takahashi posted this to his Twitter. Further solidifying my belief that Jill will be the Dominant of Shiva in FFXVI.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha yes. My team looks amazing.
Cloud the Monk, Tifa the Knight, Cait Sith the Sage...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

lmao that owns

But also it makes sense. She carries you through the early game when some of your characters might have nothing but atack, and then when you get to disc 2 you should have enough stuff that you don't need her anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just noticed a pretty annoying oversight. The Thief has Steal-As-Well but nothing it can use it with.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ImpAtom posted:

Just noticed a pretty annoying oversight. The Thief has Steal-As-Well but nothing it can use it with.

This is why when I came up with jobs for FF7 I just ignored Thief in favor of Ninja so it could use Throw, Poison, Mystify and Seal, all of which work with Steal As Well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't save aerith

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is why when I came up with jobs for FF7 I just ignored Thief in favor of Ninja so it could use Throw, Poison, Mystify and Seal, all of which work with Steal As Well.

In this case it's relatively easily solved by just giving it one of Sense/Morph/Throw/Deathblow/Manipulate. Throw or Morph would make the most sense I think.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't save aerith

Well maybe I like her being dead

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Pairs well with steal

ImpAtom posted:

In this case it's relatively easily solved by just giving it one of Sense/Morph/Throw/Deathblow/Manipulate. Throw or Morph would make the most sense I think.

Thief has morph though in his list of available materia?

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 8, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/1479718679093063686

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ahh that makes more sense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Ahh that makes more sense

Yeah, I contacted the guy and asked about it.

Kind of interested in doing a writeup of my playthrough since hey, why not?

Team
Cloud - Monk
Barret -Summoner
Tifa - Knight
Cait Sith - Thief (It said Sage at first but upon reload changed to Thief so whatevs!)
Red XIII - Black Mage
Yuffie - Time Mage
Vincent - Mimic
Cid - Ranger
Aerith - I won't be using her at all unless she is a plot-mandated part member just for added challenge.

Team Analysis
The definition of starting off weak and getting stronger. I won't have any healing magic until I recruit Cid since I'll need Mystify to get White Wind. This means also that Vincent is going to be effectively a permanent member of my party because Enemy Skill is already OP as gently caress and it being my only healing option will just amplify that. Prior to that it's going to be all potions.

That said once things get going it's going to be easy street. I have Thief which means I can do Chocobo Breeding and Summoner which means I can use KotR so even if nothing else worked out I have an insta-win backup plan though I'm going to try to go without that. I suspect my team is going to end up being (Leader Character)/Vincent/RedXIII but I could see Red being swapped out.

Midgar to Junon
The early part of the game really isn't much to talk about. I have almost nil in the way of ability choices. Tifa can get Cover and... yeah that's about it. That said I can make sure to grab Steal, the various Elemental Materia, Enemy Skill, and so-on. Anything I can't use or don't need gets sold for precious Gil which I then spend on grenades. During Midgar grenades are effectively stronger than a limit break so I can just spam them during boss fights to get them over quicker and minimize potion usage.

Upon leaving Midgar I can toss a bunch of magic materia on Red XIII and get Barret Choco/Mog so he can contribute in a way that isn't just shooting. I also make sure to grab Chocobo Lure so I can start the process of leveling it up. If I had someone more durable who could use Enemy Skill I'd probably grab Beta as well but unfortunately Aerith would be my only choice and even if I broke my self-imposed rule she'd need a lot of grinding to get to the 600 HP needed to not die even with Element-Fire so I'll have to go without.

Mythril Mine gets me Long Range for Cid later. As soon as I leave I poke around the forests until I find Yuffie and recruit her, even though she's got nothing she can equip but All materia for a while. I stop by Fort Condor and do the first mission to get Red XIII's Magic Comb, since double AP growth is going to matter a lot both in terms of his power growth and because the sooner I can master an All materia the sooner money becomes a nonissue for the rest of the game.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Are there any FF5 jobs that I can safely ignore? I always end up getting stopping and getting bored midway because I end up grinding for those precious job points even though its not needed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

poe meater posted:

Are there any FF5 jobs that I can safely ignore? I always end up getting stopping and getting bored midway because I end up grinding for those precious job points even though its not needed.

Any of them can be ignored safely. You might try Four Job Fiesta rules if you can't keep yourself from grinding.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I kind of dont want to restrict myself since I actually havent beaten it, but maybe you're right

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, you don't need to be as strict as all that, either.

The real trick is that the most interesting things that most jobs can do is the stuff they learn at level 1 or 2. Simply don't grind until you're outside the final boss chamber is what I usually do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

poe meater posted:

I kind of dont want to restrict myself since I actually havent beaten it, but maybe you're right
You have 2 physical attackers and 2 magic attackers. Go nuts switching classes and dipping around within those archetypes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Me: What is this “Trial Mode” in FFXII The Zodiac Age?

One hour later

*Resets for the 127th time hoping this time I’ll steal a ribbon from Hashmal*

Edit: GOT ONE

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 8, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junon to Nibelheim

The boss fight against Bottomswell could potentially be a problem if I didn't bring Barret as nobody else in the team but Red XIII can attack him without long range. This means Cloud is on item duty for the fight. Another potential wrinkle is that Red XIII is the only person who can break the bubbles. If he gets Bubbled he needs to die and then eat a phoenix down. (Using Aerith obviously nullifies this but that is why I'm not using her. I want to encounter interesting situations.)

Save Priscilla, get Shiva, Jump With Dolphin, Do Parade, Loot Junon. I decided to go for the Force Stealer just because Cloud can't do much besides items so I'd rather him have the attack power, plus I can buy HP Plus materia sooner. (Even if they're costly.) Jenova is a little rough due to lack of healing magic but potions carry the day.

In Costa I get a Fire Ring which will make getting Beta a breeze later if I want so that's nice. Theoretically I could go do it once I have the buggy but that'd involve using Aerith. Man, Costa Del Sol is going to be frigging wild in the remake. Coral Mountain is a nonissue. Man, Coral being all "We want to keep using COAL, it's all we got" sure feels a lot shittier in 2021.

The Gold Saucer is likewise very straightforward. I can't really get any of the materia yet so it's mostly recruit Cait -> Into The Pit -> Fight Dyne. Dyne is basically impossible to lose to though he loses a bit of drama when you ram an adorable chocobo and mog into his face. Ramuh gets grabbed along the way.

Gongaga is a worthwhile side trip. Turks get smashed. I get Deathblow for Cloud which I probably won't use too much but better than nothing. I invest most of my side money into Mystify. I could grab Time for Yuffie but right now that just isn't a worthwhile investment especially since I need money for other stuff.

That other stuff being Cosmo Canyon where I have just enough to buy two HP Plus materia. (Probably should have just gone for the prize but oh well in retrospect.) The more of these I can get the better because due to the limit on Cloud's material options this is going to be basically the only filler materia I can get for him. This also helps because I'm starting to feel the lack of healing magic.

Cave of Gi is a bit stressful. I couldn't afford upgraded armor so the healing is actually becoming more significant. I ended up swapping my HP plus materia to Tifa and using Cover to reduce the damage I'm taking. The Boss, being undead, is easily dispatched by a strong healing item. I honestly can't tell you what this boss' gimmick is because I can't remember the last time I haven't oneshot him.

And that's everything to Nibelheim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nibelheim to Wutai

First step up is recruiting Vincent. This means beating Lost Number, which has the potential to be rough. I end up using a team of Red, Cloud and Tifa, with Cloud doing Deathblows and Red using magic until he's at about half heath. I use Red to push him into Magic Mode and then unleash limit breaks and deathblows until he dies. Still takes a ton of resources but I get Cosmo Memory, Odin and of course Vincent out of it.

Vincent instantly goes into the party and gets E. Skill thrown on him. He doesn't have any skills yet but Flamethrower and Trine are easily gotten on Mt. Nibel. Materia Keeper hits hard but not hard enough and I really only have to survive until he's at half HP and uses Trine at which point Vincent can mop up.

Rocket Town is quick and simple. I upgrade my armor but nothing else much. Cid joins and I get the Tiny Bronco which means it is time for a road trip! .. only to discover that Zemzelett is immune to confuse. Which means the only way I can get White Wind is from the Wind Wing on Disc 2. Better get to loving those healing potions. Thankfully the trip isn't a total waste since Fire Ring means getting Beta is trivial and now Vincent can basically solo huge chunks of the game.

Next stop is Wutai. Oh no! All my materia is gone! This is a nonissue and basically the game continues as normal. Once I get my Materia back I hop to the beaches to steal a couple of Adaman Bangles. Since Tifa and Cloud don't have a huge need for Materia slots this is a huge boon for them. I would grab Magic Hammer but it turns out it is yet another skill that requires Manipulate to get so... woo. I also get the HP and MP absorb materias but the former is literally useless until I can get into the Ancient Forest which sort of sucks. I feel like the people who came up with the jobs picked based off names instead of actual viable combination of skills.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leal posted:

It may be the best but apparently isn't worth finishing an LP over :thunk:

Can't finish an LP if the game itself isn't finished. :eng101:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So many parts of FF7 make it hard to replay:

The first five hours that are fantastic in story, and completely linear in gameplay.

The unskippable flashback.

The execrable Junon level with that horrendous music.

Getting soft-locked by those frogs outside Gongaga.

Following the emotional boiling-point with the horrible Northern Continent. Sucks that Aeris died, anyway watch me do this sick flip off a ramp.

That forest that combines jumping puzzles with random encounters. The steam version doesnt have Encounter-None.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those all own actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Following the emotional boiling-point with the horrible Northern Continent. Sucks that Aeris died, anyway watch me do this sick flip off a ramp.

Everyone deals with grief differently.