Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hello I just did all this research for weeks and was gonna get the valve index, decided the HP Reverb G2 would be a better fit for me overall, got it last night spent all this time getting the hang of this learning curve with the janky windows mixed reality, steam VR and I have a pretty beefy PC and was getting pumped for this and finally loaded up some games to fire some guns and immediately realized I overlooked one giant problem i'm gonna have with this poo poo forever lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

njsykora posted:

Component cost, manufacturing cost, shipping and packaging and also marketing are all costs there as well. I’d wager the Quest 2 isn’t costing Facebook less than $300 per unit to make, especially since I think they’re the only ones using the Snapdragon XR2 so Qualcomm probably aren’t undercharging them for that. Plus it’s a time honoured tradition in gaming for companies to eat a loss on the hardware with the expectation that they’ll make up the difference in software.

This is true, in addition to R&D and overhead and fees and distribution contracts and lawyers and and and. Generally, if you're not selling a tech product for more the 2.5-3 times it's component cost, you're operating at a loss. Facebook is absolutely taking a bath on the Quest hardware to a very large degree.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

this looks so loving pleasant

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

beep by grandpa posted:

hello I just did all this research for weeks and was gonna get the valve index, decided the HP Reverb G2 would be a better fit for me overall, got it last night spent all this time getting the hang of this learning curve with the janky windows mixed reality, steam VR and I have a pretty beefy PC and was getting pumped for this and finally loaded up some games to fire some guns and immediately realized I overlooked one giant problem i'm gonna have with this poo poo forever lmao

what game are you trying to play that doesn't have any option for left/right handed? Its pretty standard at this point to have options for that in the settings.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah if we're talking total return on investment over time for the entire enterprise, but the manufacturing cost is what is relevant when you're talking about whether a company makes money (or recoups money) with each unit shipped or ships it below cost to get people into their ecosystem.

If you spend $1 billion to R&D a device and then sell it for just the manufacturing cost, you are by definition subsidizing the device because you just lost $1 billion, and your investors are really going to want you to have a plan to make it back through the device somehow. Or you're Facebook and are swimming in so much money that that $1 billion is essentially a rounding error.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dupersaurus posted:

If you spend $1 billion to R&D a device and then sell it for just the manufacturing cost, you are by definition subsidizing the device because you just lost $1 billion, and your investors are really going to want you to have a plan to make it back through the device somehow. Or you're Facebook and are swimming in so much money that that $1 billion is essentially a rounding error.

Yeah, that's the question I originally had though. Are we sure these are actually being sold at/below manufacturing cost?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah, that's the question I originally had though. Are we sure these are actually being sold at/below manufacturing cost?

I'm saying that it doesn't matter. If they're not selling it as at price that in itself would reasonably work to offset the R&D costs, then it's being subsidized.

That said, I don't know if we know exactly what the true price of a Quest should be (which can be fussy because of accounting anyway), but the preponderance of evidence seems to be that they're low-balling the price in a way that no other VR maker can.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tom Guycot posted:

what game are you trying to play that doesn't have any option for left/right handed? Its pretty standard at this point to have options for that in the settings.

Yeah I'm left handed and haven't had any issues

Even old as poo poo games like Arizona Sunshine have left handed options

You'll often have to dig for them though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

I'm saying that it doesn't matter. If they're not selling it as at price that in itself would reasonably work to offset the R&D costs, then it's being subsidized.

That said, I don't know if we know exactly what the true price of a Quest should be (which can be fussy because of accounting anyway), but the preponderance of evidence seems to be that they're low-balling the price in a way that no other VR maker can.

I dunno, I think Valve, Microsoft, and Google all could. But it's not like taking a risk on it in this way is a sure thing; if it were, I imagine we would be seeing other companies do it

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I got the Valve Index this week and it's been cool playing around with it but I've been having an issue with audio.

If I fire up SteamVR or a game the headset will boot up and the audio output will switch to the "Index HMD" sound device, but no audio would be playing. The workaround I found online is as follows:

1) Close down game + SteamVR
2) Open Device Manager
3) Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers
4) Uninstall any High Definition Audio Devices (I have 2, not sure what the other one is associated with.)
5) Select Action -> Scan for hardware changes
6) Relaunch Game / SteamVR

This resolves the issue but it seems to reappear between sessions. Any tips or advice on how to get this resolved in a more permanent way?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know that I'd uninstall them. Try disabling them instead? Uninstalling means it'll just reinstall the next time Windows decides it wants to.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Well, predictably, Air Link does not behave very well with my old non-wifi-6 router. Just lots of micro-stuttering more than anything else.

I've picked up Virtual Desktop (begrudgingly) to see if that behaves any better, are there any other hot tips?

Actually as I typed this I realised I could be having that weird 3070 driver problem people mentioned so I'll look into that as well

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

So it's animal crossing, likely without the nintendo charm and depth of content? Seems fun for 15-20.

edit: oh it's Neat Corp of Budget Cuts. cool - that means the basics will work well.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well, predictably, Air Link does not behave very well with my old non-wifi-6 router. Just lots of micro-stuttering more than anything else.

I've picked up Virtual Desktop (begrudgingly) to see if that behaves any better, are there any other hot tips?

Actually as I typed this I realised I could be having that weird 3070 driver problem people mentioned so I'll look into that as well

turn on the stream diagnostics/info for virtual desktop and tell us what's going on with then numbers. The setting should be in "streaming" and in the bottom right corner

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Do you have the 5ghz band enabled? That's the most important thing of all.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

forest spirit posted:

turn on the stream diagnostics/info for virtual desktop and tell us what's going on with then numbers. The setting should be in "streaming" and in the bottom right corner
will do! I was looking for a similar setting in STEAMER or Oculus Link, was surprised that there wasn't anything.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Do you have the 5ghz band enabled? That's the most important thing of all.
Yep. It seems to be sharing the band with my and my partner's phones, and another device which may be her work laptop but I'm not 100%. Neither of us were doing anything heavy duty when I was trying to play, but I might try switching everything else to 2.4ghz

E: pleased to report my phone autocorrects SteamVR to STEAMER, not fixing that

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sleepy gary posted:

post the clips, wuss.

https://streamable.com/l6gud7

Id have to dig to find more. Its been a few years since I streamed.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Randomly happened to boot up Skyrim VR in Virtual Desktop instead of the better performing AirLink and Natural Locomotion informs me I can use the Quest 2's thumb rests to activate it as long as I'm using Virtual Desktop.

I completely forgot the Quest actually HAD active thumbrests. Does anything even use them? Not even AirLink itself supports it (according to Nat Loco anyways).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

VRChat, I guess. I'm pretty sure they work in AirLink, at least for VRC.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

beep by grandpa posted:

Not left-handed but I feel you on this. Too many games don't account for shorter players very well/at all and after 30+ years I don't think I'm growing out of this problem.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Walrus posted:

So it's animal crossing, likely without the nintendo charm and depth of content? Seems fun for 15-20.

edit: oh it's Neat Corp of Budget Cuts. cool - that means the basics will work well.
It also seems to be playable now, in the early access version? I don't suppose anyone here has firsthand experience? It looks pretty fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm almost through Leon's story in RE2, even with no real VR mechanics outside the shooting it's been a blast. I was chatting with people on discord and screamed very loudly when Mr X burst through a wall right next to me.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

will do! I was looking for a similar setting in STEAMER or Oculus Link, was surprised that there wasn't anything.

Yep. It seems to be sharing the band with my and my partner's phones, and another device which may be her work laptop but I'm not 100%. Neither of us were doing anything heavy duty when I was trying to play, but I might try switching everything else to 2.4ghz

E: pleased to report my phone autocorrects SteamVR to STEAMER, not fixing that

Yeah take your phones off the 5ghz band

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I played the early access version like a year ago or something and it was really thin on content and I returned it. I did send some positive feedback that I was definitely going to consider the finished project, and I'm probably going to get it eventually

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If I looooove RE4 on my Quest 2, is Saints and Sinners worthwhile?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

yes

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a good Quest 2 co-op zombie killing game? Not PCVR, we won't have a PC where we're going.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
wow I finally fired up Moss and man, its just really enjoyable. We need more games like this

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd avoid project terminus. God that was a disappointment. From not being able to figure out how to drink something, to not being able to pick poo poo up off the floor because the game assumes you want your cell phone instead, it's just an exercise in frustration.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Argue posted:

Is there a good Quest 2 co-op zombie killing game? Not PCVR, we won't have a PC where we're going.

after the fall is basically left 4 dead VR and it's cross buy and cross play

it's pretty good

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice

D O R K Y posted:

I got the Valve Index this week and it's been cool playing around with it but I've been having an issue with audio.

If I fire up SteamVR or a game the headset will boot up and the audio output will switch to the "Index HMD" sound device, but no audio would be playing. The workaround I found online is as follows:

1) Close down game + SteamVR
2) Open Device Manager
3) Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers
4) Uninstall any High Definition Audio Devices (I have 2, not sure what the other one is associated with.)
5) Select Action -> Scan for hardware changes
6) Relaunch Game / SteamVR

This resolves the issue but it seems to reappear between sessions. Any tips or advice on how to get this resolved in a more permanent way?

I started getting this problem after a recent Windows update, this PowerSettings registry tweak to prevent it disabling the audio device fixed it for me:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c72pg0/discussion_and_troubleshooting_for_index_hardware/esmjkz4/

quote:

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\xxxx\PowerSettings

Where 'xxxx' is one of keys which contains DriverDesc value 'Nvidia High Definition Audio'. (Mine was '0000')

Note: There may be multiple ones containing PowerSettings, for example 'Realtek High Definition Audio'. Do not change those.

Within PowerSettings, You'll find there are three binary values and set them to:

ConservationIdleTime = ff ff ff ff;

IdlePowerState = 00 00 00 00;

PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff.

Default values are all 00 00 00 00 which disables power settings, but driver somehow overrides it with 0a 00 00 00 which is 10 seconds (0x0a = 10) and is by default in driver.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alctel posted:

Yeah take your phones off the 5ghz band

huh, that completely fixed it. It's nice when the simplest and easiest solution actually works!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Reek posted:

wow I finally fired up Moss and man, its just really enjoyable. We need more games like this

Good news the sequel is due out this year sometime.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

dunno what it was but skyrim VR looked like complete rear end when i tried it out. like alyx looks amazing graphically, and even wabbajack modded skyrim VR was grainy as hell and just looked real bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

I started getting this problem after a recent Windows update, this PowerSettings registry tweak to prevent it disabling the audio device fixed it for me:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c72pg0/discussion_and_troubleshooting_for_index_hardware/esmjkz4/

Out of curiosity, wouldn't the Power Settings toggle in SteamVR's Developer Mode also provide the same fix?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

queeb posted:

dunno what it was but skyrim VR looked like complete rear end when i tried it out. like alyx looks amazing graphically, and even wabbajack modded skyrim VR was grainy as hell and just looked real bad.

Turn off dynamic resolution, it's busted. There's also ini tweaks you can make to the TAA to sharpen it (I don't recommend turning it off entirely).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I cant imagine too many games that would require reaching above my head yet I keep ending up playing them. There needs to be a "I have a ceiling fan" toggle in these games.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I yanked the ceiling fan out of my office and replaced it with a low profile LED fixture within the first week of owning a Rift lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Reek posted:

Yeah VR games work great for “dollhouse” style platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tom Guycot posted:

While games do have a setting sometimes they also switch movement/turning as (southpaw controls I guess?) I never got used to those. Thankfully most games now let you switch weapons to left handed and keep movement like you are right handed.