Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The way the localization handled Rhajat is kind of interesting because, in the original version, she was distinctly softer compared to Tharja. The localization made her meaner, which brings her closer to what Tharja was before related media made her a Big Titty Goth GF Sexywoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tharja is one of the awakening parents that eclipses the fates cast as a bad parent

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tharja as a parent is just...weird. You want a fun exercise in the pitfalls of generic supports, pair her with Robin and try to reconcile any two supports in that family with each other.

The main localization change I know about with Rhajat is them changing her FCorrin support to be the same as the MCorrin one which, considering that one is pretty much "yep, Rhajat sure is a stalker, haha. Now they're married potentially!" is definitely...a choice?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tharja at least has some explanations behind why she is the way she is. Plegia in general is just not a great country to live in, and in particular every single Grimleal you meet is immensely screwed up. And then Tharja in the bad future that Noire comes from has had years of, well, the bad future to spiral into an even worse person.

Rhajat on the other hand is just the way she is with no real given reason or explanation.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, she was also raised in magic baby zone growing older than her father and hardly seeing her parents before being brought out to go to war.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
They don't intentionally give a reason, but she's one of the most reasonable children based on the incredibly hosed up reason they accidentally gave all children.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I kind of just ignore that one big issue, simply because the game itself wants to pretend that this incredibly absurd thing that would likely warp most people is in fact completely fine and normal.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You are a very generous person.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
I found myself preferring Rhajat to Tharja because she lacks her precedessor's awful parenting, but she has a few nice support chains if you're willing to dig into that. The one with Mitama is very :3: as I recall.

Of course, I'd rather have a completely original character over an expy, but you know.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

I kind of just ignore that one big issue, simply because the game itself wants to pretend that this incredibly absurd thing that would likely warp most people is in fact completely fine and normal.
Seemed to me like the translators just tried too hard to make her a Tharja expy by pushing the stalking in Corrin's supports, since the originals were reportedly better and Rhajat's other supports emphasize how and why she puts on the act. Most people probably wouldn't dig for them, however, after being (reasonably) turned off by her first impressions.

Still more interesting than, say, Hisame ended up.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Apparently Hisame is just supposed to be a guy who acts like an old man in JP. Doesn’t even have his weird pickle lover gimmick.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Well I was wrong about there not being enough Master Seals in the shop, there's 7 of them! Unfortunately I only have enough gold to buy one. I can't believe I keep having money problems in Birthright, it's slightly embarrassing...

Forget deciding between my two fake adoptive families, this is the real hardest choice. Do I promote my worst unit so they can be better, or my best one so they can continue to earn EXP through combat? I can't decide...

Okay this choice is too hard I'm selling some stuff. I got a lot of use out of the Lightning tome in my Conquest LP, and the Snake Spirit is even stronger, but Birthright really doesn't have much use for a brave tome. All the enemies are slow and nobody has Wary Fighter, and the debuff is too much of a pain to deal with... Also it's an A rank tome which literally nobody is capable of using at this point in time. If I really really want this back I'll buy another one but somehow I don't think I'll want it.

The Wakizashi just kinda sucks tbh. 2 range only weapons are hard to use and it has too many drawbacks for me to consistently get use out of it. Concoctions can be good but I have enough healing rods that I can get by without them, and tbh their usefuless does not outweight the benefits of selling them.

3 Master Seals! So now I'm deciding who doesn't get promoted, not who does. Orochi and Caeldori spend most of their time paired up together so not promoting one of them seems like the obvious choice.

Blacksmith vs Oni Chieftain is a choice between speed and skill and everything else. Even if this Rinkah had failed to gain magic a single time I'd still think Chief was the better choice, the extra power and bulk helps her more than the extra speed and accuracy. It is a bit of a shame to pass up the 7 extra skill though.

21 strength and 13 magic, very very nice. I could easily replace Rinkah's Throwing Club with a Rat Spirit now, she'll hit a little less hard but she'll also be much more accurate with it. I'm not sure what that thing on her back is... Is it a water bottle???

Wow, the different between bulk between Merchant and Master of Arms is way less than I thought. It's interesting that the fast and fragile Mozu gets to choose between 2 bulky promotion options... I'm going to reclass her into Spear Master ASAP so I'll just take the option with better stats.

And that is Master of Arms. If she reaches level 5 in this class she could have 3 different seal skills simultaneously... Missing out on Profiteer is a bit of a shame, but I'll have Midori to do that much better.

This choice is obvious. Normally Kinshi Knight's lower offensive stats syngergises better with Caeldori's personal skill, but I can't mess up her growths with a slow magical mother and then not have her make the most of her magic stat.

Shame about that extra strength though. Even if she primarily uses the Bolt Naginata, that extra strength is going to make it harder for her to activate Progidy.

Rhajat has temporarily been promoted to Orochi and is granted access to her menagerie of scrolls. I still have a leftover Ox Spirit after forging this one...

A lot of supports this chapter. The first 3 were all accidental... I don't know if it's worth persuing any of these further. Basara Azama could be fun maybe?

Kaden and Rinkah hit their A support, and so do Kaze and Setsuna somehow. I guess they've somehow ended up as good friends without me trying?

Rhajat meets her parents and Caeldori A supports Orochi. I think I've come around on Rhajat's strawberry blonde (?) hair, it does kind of fit her somehow. Oh and Hayato is younger than his own daughter.

My army's starting to look quite a bit different to what it first started out as. Soon I'll have replaced all my bad units with better second generation ones... Completely invalidating the point of a mediocre units only playthrough. Am I still doing that? I'm not sure I ever was...

Time for another child analysis. It turns out I had a lot to say about Caeldori and her interesting personal skill, but somehow I doubt that'll be the case for the rest of them. I really don't know what I'm going to have to say about, say, Selkie...

Rhajat
Diviner (HS: Oni Savage (Hayato), Troubadour (Felicia))
A+ Support Partners: Caeldori (Sky Knight), Mitama (Shrine Maiden), Selkie (?)
Personal Skill: Vendetta (When user triggers a battle against an enemy they've already fought in this map, +4 damage dealt)
Growths (With Default Class) [Base]:
HP: 40% (40) [40]
STR: 12.5% (17.5) [15]
MAG: 47.5% (62.5) [60]
SKL: 20% (30) [10]
SPD: 45% (60) [50]
LCK: 42.5% (47.5) [30]
DEF: 20% (20) [25]
RES: 35% (45) [35]

Okay first of all Felicia only has a 35% base magic growth?? I really thought it was higher than that... Even with the 15% boost from the Diviner class Rhajat's only just about able to surpass her default magic growth... At least her HP is exactly the same.

In terms of raw stats Rhajat is possibly the best mage in Birthright. She's guaranteed to start with at least 14 (+2) magic and 13 speed in her base class of Diviner at level 10 no matter who her parents are, and her natural 60% magic growth and 50% speed growth are both hard to ruin with all but the worst mother. Ophelia is often considered to be one of if not the best child in Conquest and even she's only got a natural 45% growth in both speed and magic. Unfortunately unlike Ophelia Rhajat doesn't have a paralogue filled with rare and powerful tomes, or access to Nosferatu... She's also reliant on S supporting Hayato with someone to exist, a unit much less useful than Odin is without a huge amount of investment. Otherwise I don't think it's too unfair a comparison to say that Rhajat is the Ophelia of Birthright?

Unlike Ophelia however, Rhajat's stats that aren't magic or speed or resistance are all mediocre to terrible. Much like the original Tharja her luck and skill are both quite bad. Rhajat in fact has the lowest (non-Gunter) skill growth out of any unit in the entire game, although her mother is at least guaranteed to boost it slightly beyond its base value. Her 15% strength growth has her draw with various other magically inclined kids for lowest out of all second generation units, so she's unlikely to be much of a mixed attacker. 40% HP and 25% defense aren't terrible, but the most powerful magical mothers Rhajat can have are likely to make those defenses worse. Otherwise Rhajat is fairly resistant to bad parents - even a mother with a 0% base magic growth like Setsuna is going to leave her with 30% magic growth (45 as a Diviner), and that's still okay by Birthright standards. Just don't waste someone like Kagero on her!

Onmyoji is an obvious promotion choice for Rhajat. Basara can work and will make her a bit bulkier, but even Kagero!Rhajat is going to be stuck using Brass Naginatas for a while so don't count on her being competent as a physical attacker. A unit with skill as poor as Rhajat won't be activating Rend Heaven very often either. A Rhajat with either Sakura or Oboro as a mother could however inherit cross-class skills through her promotion choice, so keep that in mind. Oni Chieftain will hugely increase her bulk while still allowing her to use scrolls, but be wary of her skill and luck - it'll only make them worse. Blacksmith isn't really worth considering unless you really want her to grab Lancebreaker, and even then it's a level 15 skill. Felicia!Rhajat could also go Strategist - her magic will be on par with Onmyoji and the extra movement will help a lot, although it'll make her defenses even worse and she might struggle to survive against foes even with the Horse Spirit. I'm sure Flame Shuriken Maid Rhajat would also work if you had 2 Arms Scrolls to spare and you really want to put Tharja in a maid outfit.

I had a lot to say about Vendetta until I checked how it works on the wiki, and it turns out it's just a much more situational Quick Draw. It only activates on player phase so I can't combine it with Strong Riposte like I thought I could... +4 damage when attacking is still very nice, but being limited only to foes Rhajat has fought in the same chapter means it's most likely only going to be effective against foes who have already been weakened.

I don't think the Sky Knight class has much to offer Rhajat besides Darting Blow and Rally Speed - so many other units could do a Bolt Naginata Falcon Knight build with much less effort, although Rhajat's high magic would make it work. Shrine Maiden has nothing for her but Rally Luck, and by the time you've reached an A+ support Rhajat would be able to go Onmoyji anyway. I genuinely have no idea what classes an A+ support with Selkie would give her access to - presumably either Apothecary or whatever class Selkie's mother has? She can't inherit Kitsune and she already has Diviner by default...

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
I've attempted to use Rhajat as an Oni Chieftain and I think she barely broke double digit skill. Nyx was her mother, I believe, which certainly didn't help, but still. :negative: I hope yours turns out well, but that 8 skill brought up so many bad memories...

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

midnight lasagna posted:

...and you really want to put Tharja in a maid outfit.

Well there's your answer right there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bogart posted:

Apparently Hisame is just supposed to be a guy who acts like an old man in JP. Doesn’t even have his weird pickle lover gimmick.
No. In jp he still has the gimmick, but hes into pickling stuff, in general. As in hes a cook. Sort of. He talks about pickling various foods, foods they taste best with, etc. The tl made him obsessed with specifically just pickles for... some reason. Like its a one note gimmick either way but one is more explicable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also that thing on the oni chieftains back is a sake gourd. Oni were huge drinkers in jp mythology, most art depicts them with a sword in one hand and a drink in the other.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Endorph posted:

most art depicts them with a sword in one hand and a drink in the other.

same

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I was a little behind so it's not entirely relevant anymore but for whatever reason Caeldori uses a slightly modified version of a map from Thracia 776, specifically the map where you fight Reinhardt. One of the hardest maps in the series.
I think I must have blocked that map from my memory. Reinhardt is the worst, both in this own game and in Heroes.

Cythereal posted:

I believe there is, I have it installed but haven't made much headway in Revelation yet.

Could be a fun twist if you get it in your head to do Revelation, no one's done a complete Revelation LP or any Fates (or Awakening) with the gay mods.
I think I might have said something about considering this in my Conquest LP? I like the idea, but in all honestly by the time I'm finished with Birthright I'll probably be burned out and I feel as if the idea would be better suited to someone else anyway. My idea of how the LP would go is full audience participation, viewers choose pairings and unit classes and there's tons of grinding to make everything work. Hopefully fun to read, but not something I would have fun making myself... Maybe I should put it in the LP request thread, idk.

Faillen Angel posted:

The way the localization handled Rhajat is kind of interesting because, in the original version, she was distinctly softer compared to Tharja. The localization made her meaner, which brings her closer to what Tharja was before related media made her a Big Titty Goth GF Sexywoman.
I was surprised to hear people say this since all the Rhajat supports I've seen made me think of her as a nicer Tharja, she feels less actively malicious and more like a grumpy standoffish teen to me, introductory chapter aside. I've only read a small hanful of them so I guess I just got lucky with the ones I picked?

Ventadour posted:

I've attempted to use Rhajat as an Oni Chieftain and I think she barely broke double digit skill. Nyx was her mother, I believe, which certainly didn't help, but still. :negative: I hope yours turns out well, but that 8 skill brought up so many bad memories...
Oh dear. Reminds me of an Oni Chieftain Hayato I once had, his magic and defense were excellent but he was stuck with ~60% hit rates at best with his Bolt Axe.

Endorph posted:

Also that thing on the oni chieftains back is a sake gourd. Oni were huge drinkers in jp mythology, most art depicts them with a sword in one hand and a drink in the other.
Oh, interesting. The localisation calls it a "water gourd" in the Accessory Shop, I wouldn't have thought a game with this age rating would need to remove mentions of alcohol. Nice to know that Rinkah's equipped to perform a keg stand at any time.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to visit Garon's personal Pleasure Palace! Maybe this is where Garon kept all of his concubines? A horny Garon is uncomfortable to imagine.

I had never noticed that light on the left before... It's a literal sexy lamp. Definitely looks more like a student prank than intentional decor.

Takumi's contracted a mysterious disease from the Wolfskin, but thankfully Ryoma's withheld enough medicine from little girls to know a thing or two about ailments and how to cure them. Considering what happens in Conquest's endgame I'd be more worried about the wolves contracting Takumi disease.

Oh and Iago and Flora are here. I love how Felicia and Kevin's classes don't match the situation at all, Kevin is trying his best to look menacing with a staff while ignoring the injured Flora right next to him, who is currently being tended to by Felicia with a giant sword in her hand.

Anyway, Takumi has contracted pineapple rot so we must rush to find a cure for him, although because this is Birthright this map is actually a rout with no time limit. Much like Elise in Conquest's Chapter 12 he cannot be deployed, but since my rules forbid me from using him in the first place it doesn't really matter.

This map continues Birthright's streak of slightly tricky maps, at least if you're not solving every problem by throwing Ryoma at it. There might be no time limit to get Takumi's medicine, but there is a small time incentive in that there are Outlaws who will attempt to run off with some treasure. They have a fairly large head start over your army but they also have to double back a considerable distance to escape with their loot. Without that small time pressure this map would be easy, but needing to reach the exit before the thieves escape means you can't just lure out every enemy individually.

Iago shows up as a boss for the first time. He's got Bowbreaker and the fairly scary Vengeance skill, and he will move to attack you while also being in a room full of other enemies who's range overlaps his. His stats aren't too threatening compared to what you might see from Sorcerers in paralogue chapters, but the added difficulty of having to deal with a bunch of his cronies at the same time make him a bit more intimidating.

This map also marks the first appearence of seige weapons in Birthright. These Fire Orbs don't deal a huge amount of damage, and their range mostly overlaps with that of other magical attackers, so you're unlikely to have your low res tanks get sniped by accident. Just make sure to take their damage into account when baiting the Hero in the corridor to the left of them.

There are 2 treasure rooms with 2 chests each, one at the start of the map and one at the end. The Outlaws in each of the rooms near the start will open the door immediately on the first turn, letting out all the enemies inside to attack your units. The Sorcerer and the Hero in the rightmost room can be very scary if you weren't expecting them to be able to reach you!

There's also a single Maid who has forgone the use of staves to instead attack with knives. Maids are nowhere as near as threatning as Master Ninjas offensively, but they can be slightly hard to kill and the Silver Knife debuffs are still quite nasty even if the attacks themselves can't hurt you.

For some reason there is a giant empty room immediately behind your starting point. I have no idea why - nothing spawns in there, and it doesn't lead to anywhere. The two guards right in front of it will have to be dispatched in order to clear the map's rout condition, but otherwise it's just pointless decoration?

Orochi has been benched since she's level 20 and not massivley useful in combat anyway. I could have gotten rid of Hana or Hinata for her but the former is supporting Setsuna and the latter I think will contribute a little more than she would here.

First things first, I want to dispose of that nasty Hero lurking above my units in this dead-end corridor. He's just a little bit stronger than Caeldori, allowing her Progidy skill to activate so she can kill him exactly. The Fighters surrounding him will kill her on enemy phase however...

Setsuna can remove one of them but she has to do it without being adjacent to a wall that a Dark Mage could attack her over. Some of the walls here are 2 tiles thick, some aren't. It can catch you out!

That hero in the room on the right will be able to attack whoever's standing on this tile as soon as enemy phase begins and an Outlaw pops open his door. I'd like to start making progress towards the chests as soon as possible, but overextending could easily get someone killed here.

Like so. He showed up right at the end of a harrowing series of fights in which Rinkah perfectly timed her dual guards in order to avoid being killed by the 4 Dark Mages who all piled on her...

Getting rid of these enemies will allow me to make a chokepoint of my own here, but it will also put my army in range of a lot of units. I want my two bulkiest attackers to take the place of these two paired up Knights ideally.

Or I could have Rinkah overextend just a little bit to take this guy out. She avoid the Hero just barely by standing here, she should be safe if I block the door below her...

...I really need to stop mashing the "skip combat" button with the assumption that all my attacks are going to connect. It's very anticlimatic to say I'm going to kill someone and then immediately cut to a still image of them standing there being not dead.

Speaking of poor hitrates, Rhajat really wishes she was a Dark Mage like Tharja. Awakening's Dark Mages had 2 different skills to lower the avoid of enemies near them to make up for Tharja's nonexistent skill and luck, Rhajat's got nothing like that to rely on. At least she hit both of these!

Mozu can help finish this guy off. She's bulky enough to take a few hits even when holding a Javelin thanks to Oboro's help and her weirdly blessed defense. Ideally the enemies would be throwing themselves at Rinkah and her Bolt Axe instead of Mozu, but what can you do.

I know what these guys are here for! They're here to give Hinata something to do. It would be funny to put Hinata in the big empty time out room and leave him there but I would actually like him to level up, his growths could still help Hisame have slightly better bases.

Mozu is surprisingly dodgy considering the -20% avoid penalty her Javelin is giving her. I was worried I might have doomed her by putting her where I did...

It's not over yet, the doors are coming open and now she's going to have to endure a few more attacks. The plan was to block the leftmost door with someone tough, but that didn't work out...

I'm just glad this obstacle is the first thing I have to face in this map and not one of the last. Last attempt these mages all went for Rinkah, this time it seems they'd rather try their luck with shaky hit percentages against Mozu than risk being ORKO'd by Rinkah's Bolt Axe.

Not being able to check the danger radius of units behind doors leads to me making oopsies like this one. For some reason the enemy Fighter supporting this Dark Mage decided to move to set up this dual attack without attacking himself, possibly saving Mozu from taking too much damage...

Well that's turn 1 survived, but the turn after might be a problem. I could reposition my units and go for another chokepoint, but I don't think I have anybody who wants to take an attack from a Sorcerer, a Hero, and then however many of these other units are able to attack.

Oh and this guy spawned in at the top of the map, he'll slowly make his way to the chests in the southeast corner. I don't have to worry about him just yet.

The combined effect of Kaden's Beastrune and Rinkah's support bonuses give him almost as much defense as her, except he's also got much higher HP and resistance and avoid to back it all up. I don't think I can take out all of these guys in one turn, but if I set up a chokepoint somewhere along the corridor and take out enough enemies then Kaden should be able to survive being out in the open like this.

It is a little bit of a shame to have to keep two of my best tanks paired up like this though. Maybe when I recruit Selkie she can take Kaden's place as Rinkah's support partner, or maybe she'll outclass him entirely.

Good thing all my other units and here and unpaired to take down as many enemies as possible. Unfortunately with all the rooms and corridors it's hard to find places to stand that are completely safe, so some of these people are going to have to take a hit or two.

I wish I could delete this guys from the map because they're not even rewarding to kill, all my promoted units gain only a single point of EXP from defeating level 15 Fighters. At least the Faceless in Rhajat's paralogue were worth something... I guess they do at least provide WEXP, I've got a lot of freshly promoted units that are still stuck with E rank weapons.

Didn't quite kill every last one of them, but this looks much safer than before. Mozu is on like 7 HP and Kevin can't get near her without taking a fatal hit, but I have a plan...

It's not a perfect plan, Wane Festals are terrible. Kaze managed to swap Mozu to a Guard Naginata so she should be able to survive even with this much HP!

He capped it!!! Now I don't have to worry about missing all those offensive staff charges I have literally none of. I couldn't afford any from the shop...

Oh there's one. I'll have to steal it back, but that should be easy. Silences are buyable in Birthright and there's much less scary magic users than in Conquest, so don't worry about saving these.

Seems like Azama is the most desirable target now that Mozu's no longer wielding a joke weapon. I like that one Naruto-running Dark Mage, what's he even going to do with all that momentum?

This chapter is peppered with mildly irritating reinforcements from various stairs around the map which don't do much besides annoy you. Rhajat and Hinata are the only people who will earn double digit EXP from killing any of these guys.

I guess this is nice if Scarlet's going to be stuck in this class for 2 more levels. I'm surprised at how useful she's been with just a Brass Yumi, despite the Adventurer class's mediocre strength she's been 1 rounding most of her foes with ease.

Azama wants those sweet offensive stats now that he has a weapon in his hands. Shame about the poor skill though, it's not normally this bad...

With some Outlaws having Locktouch and some not, it's hard to keep track of who's going to attack and who's going to ignore my units in favour of loot. I think this guy would have preferred to go after another chest than attack Setsuna but I'm glad I spotted him regardless.

I really want all my best units rushing forward but someone has to block this corridor to keep the reinforcements out, and right now my best option is Mozu. Hinata and Rhajat are both far away...

Kaden with Rinkah's support and his rune is effectively immortal right now, he can charge ahead with no worries. I just wish he had some form of ranged attack...

Did you know that Mozu and Oboro are the same height? I looked up a fanmade chart of heights in characters in Fates and while the numbers might be estimates, the relative heights of each character are taken straight from their models. They're both 168cm tall, or a little over 5 foot 5. Seems odd when Oboro looks tall despite leaning back in her portrait while Mozu I always thought of as being tiny.

...this screenshot sucks but I wanted it as an excuse to share this pointless trivia. One of my benched royals must have activated the earthquake dragon vein in Conquest's version of this map by accident...

One turn later and Azama can take over door duty. This will be a good way for him to build lance rank, even if he's not earning any EXP. I really want him using actual weapons as soon as possible.

Not using my full movement like this will slow me down, but putting Kaden here will force 1-2 attackers to attack him at 1 range. Hopefully the Sorcerer moves first followed by the other 2, but things don't always work out like that.

Kaze is on chest cleanup duty and okay I seriously need to start using these, I was doing good at first but then I fell off the wagon.

This room here can be a bit of a tricky obstacle. The two mages and that Strategist hit hard, while one of those Fighters has a Great Club... None of them are all that powerful on their own, but not many units are good at taking both physical and magical attacks in Birthright. Except Ryoma. If I were using Ryoma this chapter would be over by now!

Of course I have to actually reach that room first, something made tricky thanks to my own plan backfiring on me. I want to move Kaden forward, but he's blocking a tile I could use to attack this Maid, and nobody except him can 1 round her from 1 range...

The two of them will just have to stay put to finish her off. I love the image of a huge buff warrior holding a paper fan and attacking with tiny magical rats, it's very silly. It's like that one Roughneck in Diamond and Pearl who only sends out a single Cleffa.

All fairly handy stats for this chapter, thanks Setsuna. Did you know she only has a 25% strength growth as a Kinshi Knight? The difference between 25% and the 35% she'd have as a Sniper really isn't all that big, but it's slightly depressing all the same.

I was able to lure the Strategist away from her friends entirely by accident. Were this Conquest she would not have moved until someone was in range of the Great Club Fighter... Also she'd have like 5,000 seal skills and probably Lunge as well.

Time to enter the range of all these Flame Orbs. They don't deal a lot of damage, they're not really worth worrying about. A fragile unit might be at risk of dying from the combined might of two orb attacks and that one Hero down at the bottom, but anybody with a halfway decent resistance stat won't be taking any damage from them at all.

Still though, that Silver Axe hurts! I wish silver weapons weren't so bad in this game because they look really cool.

The treasure room has finally been popped open, but it'll still be a few turns before the thieves can escape with their loot. I don't actually know where they escape from...

Strength! Sure, why not. It'll take more than a few levels like this before her magic gets as bad as her father's.

Isn't this Garon's villa we're in? He won't be happy to see Nohrians stealing from him.

Birthright's cast might not have good physical bulk, but most of them have pretty good resistance. These orbs only have 15 might and they aren't affected by magic, so anybody with 15 or over res won't take damage at all.

Outlaws will start spawning from these stairs in large numbers from turn 8. They're slightly annoying if you're relying on fliers to catch the escaping thieves, but Rinkah can easily farm them for scroll EXP.

I want this, but it almost feels wasteful to use it on someone who's already halfway to D rank. I might spend it on Rinkah anyway.

Somehow Kevin is one of my most magically fragile units. I thought Troubadours were meant to have high res?

Enemies in Fates aren't blocked from spawning if another enemy is stood on their spawn point, this Fighter who was meant to come from the stairs has somehow spawned in behind my chokepoint.

Oh, is that where the enemy thieves escape from? This is either turn 10 or turn 11 I think, so maybe the turn limit is tighter than I thought.

Here's Birthright once again pulling one of its favourite pranks to pull, a unit that doesn't move paired with one that does. The range of the Sorcerer paired with this General also happens to overlap with Iago's attack radius, so this is quite a dangerous area to stand...

This General is however the only non-magical enemy in this last room, so if he's gone then you only have to worry about resistance and not defense. Kaden and Caeldori take him down while blocking the entrance to the room.

Magic... Kaden, what happened? Where's the strength?

I kind of wish there was a magical beaststone in this game. Transforming units don't have any 2 range attacks, and every beast except Keaton has at least a 5% magic growth. Of course it would make Conquest's Kitsune Lair even more hellish if they did exist so maybe it's for the best that they don't...

I wouldn't act so cocky if I were him, he's being outdamaged in magic by a pegasus.

His weapon also halves his magic after combat, so now he's stuck with a magic stat not even Gharnef could be proud of...

His lowered magic does however mean that Caeldori can't activate Progidy against him anymore... Was this his plan all along???

Just kidding he still dies regardless. Or "dies". This jerk's not going to stay dead until like Chapter 25.

15 turns! Surprisingly fast by my standards. I hope you enjoyed this, because this is the last good chapter before Birthright's midgame streak of lame and boring maps that'll last until like Chapter 23.

A traitor, huh? Who could that be... It surely can't be Flora who just joined us but not as a playable unit.

This is the third time "among us" has appeared in this game's script, but I had the restraint not to take a screencap of the second appearence so I can't celebrate this rule of three by ending the update with a giant page-scrollingly large "when the impostor is sus" face. I'm sure everybody would have found that very funny.

Next time: Conquest's Chapter 8 but bad

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wonder if the Grisly Wound skill that Ninetails and Wolfsenger share could be changed to something like Countermagic; attack with half of your normal BeastX damage back at half range. Put Grisly Wound as the Master Ninja skill instead. Or an Oni skill? I'm just spitballing.

Or just give them the silly Card items that the Herons could use to attack with in FE10.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 13, 2022

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
What I'm getting from this is that Scarlet is a lot of fun and I should use her the next time I have the chance.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You should always use Scarlet. And Reina. Always.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also, the debuffs from Silver weapons should activate on Player Phase, so you can use them when baiting an enemy and switch to something else when attacking. They're still not worth the money though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I have a sudden image of a Nohrian military parade where you have horsemen, spearmen, swordsmen... and a battalion of women in French maid costumes.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Walla posted:

Also, the debuffs from Silver weapons should activate on Player Phase, so you can use them when baiting an enemy and switch to something else when attacking. They're still not worth the money though.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this, but the self-debuffs from Silver Weapons activate if you attack at all, rather than if you initiate the attack.

Unless Fates has been tricking me (and probably a good chunk of the internet) for a good 5~6 years.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I always forget about Marcath and its arbitrary illnesses. It's just a deeply pointless interlude on both routes. At least in Conquest it's where Peri and Laslow join, so you get a boon?

I definitely didn't know that about Mozu and Oboro being the same height. Fully agreed, their portraits make them look like they have much more of a difference.

Tales From Gay Fates unit notes from the last analysis: You know who's actually a very appropriate mother for Rhajat it's slightly surprising wasn't an option in canon Revelation? Elise! Pair up the two "the game is very insistent you know they're legally adults and it's Not Weird, Okay" mages, and you get a Rhajat who can best be described as a magic nuke even more than Ophelia. Plus if you're feeling ambitious you can let her inherit one of the Malig Knight skills. (In terms of actual pairings, her S with Selkie is a nice capstone and her fully original chain with Sophie is really very sweet. She tries to hex Avel into obedience and passivity because she's worried he's going to legitimately kill his rider one of these days.)

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Rhajat is definitely nicer than Tharja, but the localization specifically made her a lot more prickly. It's not a huge deal, but it is worth noting.

Silver weapons always have, like, one moment per playthrough where they go on a run-saving rampage that cleans out a map of like 30, and then they spend the rest of the game rotting in my inventory.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
If memory serves, Silver weapons can be used for Dual Attacks without triggering the debuff, at least. I specifically remember having to rely on that loophole in one of the DLCs relating to the Conquest-side Awakening characters...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's weird because Brave Weapons are in every way better than Silvers but only very slightly rarer.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Jadecore posted:

Tales From Gay Fates unit notes from the last analysis: You know who's actually a very appropriate mother for Rhajat it's slightly surprising wasn't an option in canon Revelation? Elise! Pair up the two "the game is very insistent you know they're legally adults and it's Not Weird, Okay" mages, and you get a Rhajat who can best be described as a magic nuke even more than Ophelia.

I considered doing this but I balked at Elise's bad skill hurting Rhajat's even more, was that a big issue? What class did you stick her in? If I want to use Rhajat I make Sakura her mother, personally.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Checking the numbers, it doesn't look like that big a difference. Sakura gives her a 25% skill growth, Elise would give her 17.5. I haven't actually tried that one myself, gave up on leaping through the ever-shifting hoops to make homebrew work and decided after one go that optimizing pairings with the hack was, while a fun one-time thought experiment, an absolute *clusterfuck* in practice from the knock-on effects of them opening up almost every pairing option within each gen. But I doubt her accuracy issues'd be all that much worse with Elise than they'd be with Sakura or Nyx.

Sakura's my go-to for her on normal runs too, if largely so I can get the pairing done, get off-brand Ricken back to the bench where he belongs, and get on with it ASAP.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Capped skill! How beautiful, and how incredibly pointless. Or maybe not entirely pointless... The final boss of this game is vulnerable to the Hexing Rod, which means every extra point of skill is a little more reliability towards me halving the HP of the last boss in a single action.

Looting Garon's personal villa and shaking down all the thieves trying to do the same thing has temporarily solved my money woes. Now all I have to worry about is the shop stocking enough Master Seals... I'm still not sure what I should do with all this, my impulsive spending habits were what caused these woes in the first place.

Strategist seems like the obvious choice here - Kevin's not allowed to equip a weapon according to my ruleset, so Bulter's slightly better weapon type and higher physical bulk is pretty meaningless compared to 2 extra movement and higher magic for heals. I was originally going to pick it...

...and to be honest, I probably should have. Butler will mean Kevin's giving Scarlet 2 extra speed when paired up with her, but it comes at the cost of not giving extra movement. For some reason more speed seemed like the better option at the time. As an Adventurer she absolutely does not need it, but as a Malig she might?

Or maybe there's one other reason - more skill. More skill is funny. He's going to be the most dextrous Butler ever!

It's better not to think of this as a choice between going mixed or pure magic, but rather between better bulk and Rend Heaven or staff access and higher magic. Orochi has no business using a naginata anyway.

I think I would prefer the magic. I wonder how much longer Orochi's going to stay on the team? She's still fairly decent, but Caeldori and Rhajat both seem to be doing her job a little better.

Only after looking at this screenshot did I realise that I had bought the wrong thing - I though the Moon Festal was an upgraded Wane Festal, but it's merely a more powerful Sun Festal. It won't restore all of a unit's HP like a Recover staff does, but even with Azama's crappy magic it should get pretty close. It's not the worst thing I could have bought?

An entirely accidental A support between Kevin and Rinkah, and a B support for Kevin / Scarlet and Mozu / Oboro. If I recall correctly Scarlet's supports are entirely different depending on your Corrin - M!Corrin gets a conversation about weapon decorating, while with F!Corrin the two of them go stargazing together. IIRC a lot of the Corrinsexuals have different supports like this, presumably to give them slightly more dialogue? In both Scarlet and Flora's case the F!Corrin support chain feels way more romantic and yet does not lead to an S support.

Two C supports for Azama as well. I do love Azama, he's endearingly terrible.

Enough is enough, I am forcing myself to use these. That's a Goddess Icon and a Secret Book for Setsuna, plus a Spirit Dust for Rinkah and a Secret Book for Rhajat.

The second Spirit Dust I'm saving for Scarlet, although considering she can't really benefit from it yet I'm holding onto it until she reclasses into Malig. The Speedwings I'm unsure about - I might be benching Orochi at some point. Rinkah might be a good candidate?

Finally some forges to cap it all off. The Tiger Spirit forge is just because I had 2 of them spare, the Steel Naginata forge is so Mozu's damage output can be as great as her speed and bulk.

Just Rhajat left to promote now... And Hinata if I feel like it. And maybe Hana if I have a seal spare, I dunno. Unfortunately this also means everybody is now going to be earning very little EXP per kill, because unpromoted enemies don't stop appearing until Chapter 23 in Birthright.

Kagero
Ninja (HS: Diviner)
A+ Support Partners: Rinkah (Oni Savage), Orochi (Diviner), Setsuna (Archer)
Personal Skill: Shuriken Mastery (When unit receives damage from a dagger or shuriken, deal half of the damage, and stat debuffs suffered back to the enemy)
Pair-Up Stats (C B A S): Str Res Str Spd+Res
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 30% (35)
STR: 65% (70)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 20% (40)
SPD: 50% (70)
LCK: 30% (30)
DEF: 25% (30)
RES: 40% (55)

It's Kagero! I forgot her last time, and was about to forget her again when I started writing an analysis for Kaden by mistake. Did you know she's the tallest Hoshidan girl in all of Fates? I hope you're ready for non-stop HEIGHT FACTS from here on out.

Kagero is in my opinion the worst of the 3 first generation Ninjas, but that's really not anything to be ashamed of. All the ninjas are great, and Kagero's still pretty good... She's just not got Kaze's availability and immediate usefulness or Saizo's high physical bulk. Her gimmick is instead her ludicrously high strength - Kagero draws with Effie for highest strength growth in all of Fates, although her class gives her a lot less than Effie does. When considering effective strength growths combining character and class bases, she takes fourth place just after Keaton and Charlotte. Kagero's effective speed draws with her strength at 70%, and then her resistance follows behind at 55%. All of her other stats are unfortunately quite terrible.

Kagero's biggest immediate problem is her somewhat questionable start. She joins just after Chapter 10, annoyingly missing out on what would have been her best oppurtunity to make use of her personal skill. Her base stats are fairly mediocre, with her above average strength being her most noticeable asset, and even then her mediocre starting speed drags that down a little. If you thought Saizo's starting speed was a bit shaky, Kagero starts with only a single point more despite joining 3 chapters later and 3 levels higher. Once her amazing strength and speed growths start to kick in she'll soon becoming capable of doubling and even one-rounding a large number of foes with the right weapon and perhaps the right support partner, but it will take some work to get her there. A trained Kagero will mow down enemies in a way that Kaze and even Saizo will struggle to do, but her physical bulk will be even worse than Kaze's and her poor skill and luck might make accuracy an issue, something shuriken users normally do not have to worry about. She can still tear apart enemies on enemy phase, she might just need a little more support and careful positioning to do so safely.

Mechanist gives Kagero higher movement, physical bulk, and a slightly higher strength cap that she won't immediately ram into. Master Ninja on the other hand gives her speed and some much needed accuracy and crit avoid, as well as complementing her high resistance more. Even if Kagero's speed growth is high, her mediocre base drags her down - as a Mechanist she might end up quite slow. I've never done it before and it's not something I usually do, but a Kagero promoted as soon as she joins might perform well? As a Master Ninja she just barely hits her strength cap on average at 10/20, and as a Mechanist she can smack flying foes with a Brass Yumi for effective damage from a base strength of 19.

Diviner is a borderline joke class for Kagero. Rend Heaven from Basara might be useful on her as it is for everyone, but keep in mind her skill isn't great even as a Master Ninja. Oni Savage Kagero can be incredibly fun to use, although it'll tank her accuracy even more. Blacksmith Kagero will have absolutely insane strength and just about decent stats in everything also besides HP, and while not better than Ninja it can be a very fun class for her to try if you want to mess around. Rinkah's also a pretty great support partner for Kagero so long as she's having no issues with her speed, although Rinkah's also a good support partner for just about anyone. Archer Kagero I can imagine being fairly decent too, but there isn't much she'd be doing as an Archer she couldn't do as a Mechanist and most of the class's player phase skills don't really suit the Ninja playstyle. Orochi unfortunately does not give her anything she doesn't have already, and even if it did Diviner is a terrible class for her regardless.

Shuriken Mastery feels more like a skill to screw over players in Conquest than one to actually help her in Birthright. Shuriken users are very uncommon once Kagero joins and even then Kagero does not have the HP or the defense to be taking many hits or debuffs.

Pros
  • Amazingly high strength, high enough to counteract the poor damage output of shurikens
  • Can tear apart mages as a Ninja thanks to WTA and her naturally high resistance
  • Amazing physically offensive growths make her a good mother for most children, useful pair-up stats in strength and speed make her handy as a support bot
Cons
  • Mediocre bases, will struggle to double initially despite an excellent speed growth
  • Poor physical bulk, medicore luck can make her vulnerable to 1% crits
  • Shaky accuracy, will run into hit problems outside of her base class

My Thoughts: Her strength caps at 43 as a Berserker if she marries Arthur in Rev! That's not an opinion I just think it's cool.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
While Kagero has the issue of a skill based on lore and not usability like Arthur, hers at least doesn't gently caress her up when she's very badly needed to be my only drat axeman besides Elise oh god takumi drained the water and those sky knights are paired up we're gonna loving die.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Ventadour posted:

I considered doing this but I balked at Elise's bad skill hurting Rhajat's even more, was that a big issue? What class did you stick her in? If I want to use Rhajat I make Sakura her mother, personally.

You know, you'd think it'd be an issue, but even tossing just one secret book at her makes her accuracy perfectly serviceable. It's not that big a dip in growth. And even then, the pairing can only happen in Revelation, which means access to more freebies and both types of shops in My Castle, so there's really nothing stopping you from setting up a +2 or +3 Thunder tome for her to use by the time you grab her.

You can also pass her (or have her pick up) Death Blow from Oni Chieftan and turn her into a crit machine even with lower skill that expected, which is good fun. I tossed her around a little, but really, she wants to be in her natural Onmyouji state by the end.

Anyway, Kagero! She's cool! She feels wasted in Ninja, obviously, but also having someone with her level of strength hurling 1-2 range weapons with no drawback is really nice. Not a bad candidate for Dread Fighter if you're using the DLC classes; it won't help her skill but it will give her more weapon options while not cutting off her shuriken access. Has the interesting quirk of being a rare FE character who's exes with another playable character; she and Saizo broke up years ago to better focus on their duties. She also used to be one of Mikoto's retainers but swapped over to look after Ryoma, so she's got a pre-established very sweet friendship with Orochi.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

My Kagero opinion is it's weird how of all things they made "Kagero gets captured and must be rescued by Corrin and her ex" be like the one post-split event that happens on every route.

In a vacuum, I'd probably put Kagero above Kaze myself for her stat spread, but between his weird plot death thing making him practically mandatory and her joining so much later than the other two, yeah, she's definitely the hardest of the three to justify using on BR. I was gonna say she's one of the rare few who's better off in Rev since at least there she joins around the same time as Saizo, but then I remember that's right around the point it finally starts dumping a bunch of the actually good characters on you. Poor Kagero.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kagero is another one I've never done much with. She's too slow and fragile, and she's rarely strong enough to one shot anything. Maybe I'll give her a shot in my current Conquest run.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

I use Kagero a fair bunch, I think she's alright. Saizo usually turns out a bit too slow to be reliable for me and Kaze has noodle arms so I only really use him in Conquest (and even there he was most useful the time I made him a butler).

Then again I don't play on Lunatic :shobon:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

It's interesting and I'm probably going to keep making references to it, so here's all the stuff on character heights in Fates I could find. Here's a comparison of all the character models side by side, and there's also an image with height estimates for all the women in Fates calculated by using the heights of all the characters who appeared in Warriors. Don't think there's one for the men unfortunately.

I'm depriving myself of random tangents to go on during the most boring part of the game by posting this, but oh well. Rinkah is one of the shortest characters in the game, Beruka is surprisingly tall considering her portrait, and Flora is quite a bit shorter than her twin sister. Arthur's the tallest first generation unit if you don't count the prepromotes...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Unless I am missing something from that Tumblr, it looks like Benny is the tallest period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Oh yep that's Benny not Gunter. I did think it was a bit weird that the old man was the tallest in the entire cast...