Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

sarcastx posted:

Pay an orchestra to play this at your wedding and have a loving waltz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sN2DpfOhTo

The first version of this song was the go-to lullaby music for both of my children when they were babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for costing a disabled UberEats driver his job?

quote:

Title sounds bad but hear me out. I am a driver for all 3 of the main food delivery services at the moment (UberEats, Doordash and Grubhub) and was taking an order from McDonalds when this incident happened.

I see this disabled man around my age reach into a bag and eat some fries. What caught my attention was a broken seal on the bag (McDonalds seals the delivery orders with 3 seals to prove the driver did not tamper with food). I asked him if he was a delivery driver delivering an order. He said he was doing Uber Eats. I asked him why he reached into the bag to eat the fries of a customer and he said his blood sugar was low. I asked him if he was going to go back, pay for the food and have them remake the customer's order and explained to him I totally get him needing a bite to eat right then and there. He told me the customer should understand his situation. I told him true but he should rectify things after eating their food so they do not get screwed over for what they paid for. I even offered to buy him food for himself.

This caused an argument between us, (both about him being able to pay his own way and about the tampered order) which got loud enough for McDonald's manager to see what was going on. I explained what was going on. The manager yelled at both of us. She yelled at him for tampering with the order and me for "causing a scene and embarrassing a disabled man". She then takes the order from the man and tells him to never take a delivery from their store again.

About 4 hours later I went to that McDonald's to take another delivery. The same manager is on duty. As I take this order, she tells me "Are you happy you got an old man deactivated from his only source of income just for taking care of his health?". I ask her what she meant and she told me she was obligated to report to Uber what happened and that the old man came in 2 hours after the incident all upset he got deactivated. I told her all I did was try to talk to him and that I was not going to report him but simply asked him to rectify the situation for the customer since it is our job to be respectful to the customer. I also told her that if he ever comes in again she can advise him to sign up for the other 2 delivery services (somewhere in my argument with him he revealed he was only signed up for Uber).

TLDR: I see another delivery driver eat a customer's order, confront him and he reveals he is diabetic, I tell him it is ok just make sure to rectify the situation so the customer does not get tampered food and offer to even pay for food for him, he yells at me and gets management involved and management blames me for the whole situation.

I know when I worked in a restaurant as a third party worker, I was amazed at the staff just taking food off plates before bringing it out to the waiting customers.

Had I been a customer, I would have been pissed as hell. Now, with Covid and the seals broken on the bag? I would have blown a gasket.

AITA for restarting Animal Crossing with my step-daughter so I can be Resident Representative?

quote:

I (28F) had been wanting Animal Crossing since March 2020, and it finally went on sale Christmas 2021, so I bought it for myself and my boyfriend(40M)’s daughter (10F, with us usually every-other weekend).

I addressed the present “To: The Family” and my boyfriend unwrapped it. Kiddo asked to play first, neither of us realizing that she would be the island’s resident representative, tasked with starting/finishing quests and making larger decisions.

So, when I played and noticed I wasn’t getting the same options, I looked up the situation and realized the conundrum.

I was annoyed. For a farm-based sim game that operates in real time, having my 10-year-old who’s here <50% of the year be the main character seemed silly and a waste time and $50. But, I didn’t want to hurt feelings and suggested that I could use to her profile to complete quests. She begrudgingly agreed.

She went back to her mom’s NYE, having put in less than a week of gameplay, and I tried out the back-and-forth play of farming on my profile, dropping items, saving, reopening under her, gathering, talking to the necessary NPC, and finishing quests. And it was frustrating. Why jump through all these hoops when I had farmed those materials? What do I do with rewards she receives when I had done the work? How confusing will it be when she returns and doesn’t get certain introductions because her profile already received explanation?

I made the decision to restart the game. I wrote up a message to kiddo stating my reasonings and sent it to her. She wanted me to make the same choices on island layout, tent location, island name, and said it was sad, but understood.

I took pictures of our characters and houses, and deleted the save data. Kiddo texted me later, saying it was “heartbreaking” and that she wanted to be the island representative.

I FaceTimed her and she made sad puppy dog eyes, but I made my case again, and pointed out that it was already deleted.

Now I’ve begun the restart and, of course, the island layouts, fruits, and NPCs are random, but I chose an island I feel kiddo will like (with a heart-shaped lake!) and our fruit is peaches (which look like little butts!) and my friend said you can get specific NPCs later, too. Kiddo hasn’t come back yet (they got >4 feet of snow at her mom’s), and I know she’s gonna be disappointed getting through the first week of game play again, but I really feel this was the best option for our combined play: I have time and patience for farming, and she can play as she sees fit without having to care about the growth of the island.

((Also, I may be getting her a Switch Lite for her birthday in September, but she doesn’t know.))

In the end, I wanted a better gaming experience for myself… but also for her! But a lot for me… so, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Is this the new taking candy from a baby level of assholery?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 8, 2022

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for restarting Animal Crossing with my step-daughter so I can be Resident Representative?

Is this the new taking candy from a baby level of assholery?

This is because of Nintendo's ridiculous 1 island per console rule. Not per cartridge, per $300 console.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Who takes out a one-sided five-figure loan to pay for a wedding? I know the marriage industry is poisoned, but if your fiancé is happy to let you eat the entirety of the costs, you don't need to wait for him to get caught cheating on you; you are already doomed.

She probably would have been able to take him to court for a chunk of the money. There have been cases where someone spent a bunch of money on getting ready for prom only to have their partner dump them and leave them unable to go (there are proms where you can only attend as part of a couple), and they were able to sue the partner successfully because all the money they'd spent was now for nothing. If you spend a shitload of money on a wedding, you're acting on the (implicit) promise of your fiancee to marry you and not blow up the relationship by cheating.

Anyway, good for her. Here's some Captain Awkward stuff:

quote:

5 Answers to “That’s Certainly A Question”
JANUARY 3, 2022 ~ JENNIFERP
A long time ago, Shepherd created folders and tags for my blog inbox, mostly categories like “Family” and “Friendship” and “Work,” but also a few like “LW Behaving Badly,” “What Is This I Don’t Even,” and “This is Not Penthouse.”

I really, really, really try to be kind and gentle and find somebody to root for in every situation, but sometimes I fail.Today, I thought, instead of publishing certain letters with those tags, I would answer the questions but save the Letter Writers some embarrassment and the Internet from seeing some things that can’t be unseen.

Think of it as a New Year’s cleanse for upsetting content.

1 Hmmmm let’s do some math:

You’re 47 and your new girlfriend is 23,
You’ve “been good friends” “for 8 or 9years,”
The wife you just left her for is also 47,
Your own kids are 16 and 17,
You used the words “technically legal adult” and “soulmate” in the same sentence more than once.
Like, enjoy your newfound happiness, I guess? Since you are “technically legal adults,” I certainly can’t stop you!

But if everyone who already likes and loves you is giving you a wide berth all of a sudden, I can only assume they did the same Creep Math I did and are now wondering if you serially groom lots of teens or just this one.

Sometimes getting what you want and having everyone’s trust and good opinion are mutually exclusive.

. . . .

5. You “didn’t take sides” when you sent holiday invitations, but by inviting all of the known anti-vaxx, anti-mask loudmouths in your family for the holidays this year, you effectively disinvited everyone else, including kids too young to be vaccinated and their parents.

I hope rear end in a top hat Christmas was a good time and that you get to meet your tiny new niblings someday under safer circumstances. Until you guarantee/enforce safer circumstances, it’s probably not happening at your house.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for costing a disabled UberEats driver his job?

I know when I worked in a restaurant as a third party worker, I was amazed at the staff just taking food off plates before bringing it out to the waiting customers.

Had I been a customer, I would have been pissed as hell. Now, with Covid and the seals broken on the bag? I would have blown a gasket.

AFAIK there's no obligation to report poo poo to 3rd party services. Most of the time you don't even know which one the driver works for - It only shows up on the receipt when it prints, so if they don't go, "Hi, I have a doordash/grubhub/ubereats for [name]" it's very likely you're not going to even know who they're with because you just automatically tape the receipt to the bag and move on. There's also no contact information for the driver, so how the hell would the manager even report him, unless she went out of her way to get the license plate?

Anyway, the obvious answer is something many drivers figured out when I worked drive-thru: "Hey, I'm picking up an order, but I'd also like to place an order for myself."

It's not like the guy became diabetic yesterday - He has to know that his sugar will dip and it's baffling he doesn't have any preparation for it, or the sense to order food for himself.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My gf is upset that I have a body count of 1 including her

quote:

I am a male and 28 years old. My gf is 24 and a woman. We have been dating 5 years.

Yesterday we went to lunch with another couple we’re friends with.

The other couple we will call “Jack and Jill” for the sake of the story.

So we get on the topic of relationships and sex.

Jack reveals his body count was 42 before meeting Jill and then Jill told us she had a body count of 17 and then proceeded to list off their names before Jack cut her off.

My gf revealed that her body count was 29 before meeting me.

I admit I was a bit surprised.

Now it was my turn and I revealed that my body count was 1.

Everyone was shocked. Jack asked if I meant it was 1 before I met my gf. I said no.

My gf got pissed at this point and demanded to know why I never told her I was a virgin when we met.

I calmly explained that I don’t believe in virginity and that I think it’s just a social construct invented by the patriarchy and used to control and shame women.

She said I still should have told her. I pointed out that she never told me her body count either and that we were both finding out each other’s body count today for the first time.

She was pissed the rest of the time and when we got home she locked herself in our room and didn’t come out for hours.

She still insists I wronged her in someway but can’t explain how.

I don’t see what the big deal is. We both learned each others body count at the same time. I don’t care that hers was 29, why does it matter that mine was lower?

How do I get out of the dog house in this one? Flowers and dinner?

Tl;dr: Gf mad that my body count was lower than hers

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Evil Willow posted:

My gf is upset that I have a body count of 1 including her

That title... "I killed my GF, AITA?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I swear some dating sites study stated the average person had about 10 sexual partners before getting married.

Relatedly, you'll have to tell your next girlfriend the number of people you've slept with is 1, not including her

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This person isn't afraid to use body count but won't say virgin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've never killed anybody but I've never thought to ask any of my exes if they did before sleeping with them. :ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats like, the first thing you wanna ask. Nothing kills the mood like a ghost screaming that they're a murderer while you're about to finish

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bruceski posted:

That title... "I killed my GF, AITA?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barudak posted:

Thats like, the first thing you wanna ask. Nothing kills the mood like a ghost screaming that they're a murderer while you're about to finish

Speak for yourself.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Just shut down all of social media.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Barudak posted:

If she wants to bite my head off afterward whatever, I'll try anything once, but I want to know about it first.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for stopping the kid's hockey game I was reffing because parents wouldn't calm down?

Find someone who recorded it and uploaded it to youtube. Name and shame.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

camoseven posted:

I'm not sure where you live, but in the US that word is wildly inappropriate for an adult to say, let alone try to teach a toddler

Never said it was appropriate. Just can't help but find it funny.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA For refusing to stay with my sister

quote:

I (f18) am in my first year of college. It’s winter break for us and I spent the first week with my parents at our house in NH. I had secured a 3 week internship for the break. This internship is located nyc a couple hours away from my college. Instead of letting me rent an apartment my parents say I need to stay with my sister Mary (f28) and her girlfriend Jess (f27).

The first couple of days they were wonderful and we got along well. I was working a lot so I did not see them as much. However I noticed that Jess would touch my stuff all the time and borrow clothes without permission. I felt uncomfortable having someone who I am not very close with wear my clothes. I ask her if she could stop and she agrees but very passive aggressively.

One times when a come home they are always having sex on the couch as well. I understand their apartment is not my space but I still feel gross cause i’m sleeping on that couch. So I slept on the floor after that. And during the nights they would have sex again but kind of loudly.

I tried to address it in a light and joking manner and ask them to chill. But Jess gets pissed on me for invading their space and messing up their routines. She then claims my issue stems from homophobia opposed to my genuine discomfort of hearing my sister have sex.

I can’t handle it anymore so I pack my bags and for the duration of my internship make plans to stay with a girl i might there who was sympathetic to my issue.

Mary said the way I left was rude and i’ll admit not giving them a warning wasn’t all that cool. My mom says it was rude an unappreciative.AITA for leaving?

Comments posted:

As a gay woman, it’s not homophobic to not want to see your sister eating her girl out. NTA ofc

OP posted:

yeah i’m bi so i obviously have no issue with wlw but she still made that conclusion

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"How dare you not want to watch or hear us having sex! You loving homophobe!"

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my girlfriend to stop buying NASA related things?

quote:

my girlfriend (24F) and i (27M) have been together for 3 years. for as long as i can remember, she’s obsessed with astronauts and NASA shirts. her dream job isn’t even to be an astronaut, she just thinks they’re incredibly “aesthetic” and loves planets and admired astronauts.

the issue is, it makes her look incredibly smart when she reveals this admiration to other people. and the fact that it’s childish to be this into NASA and astronauts and not have it as a dream job. i have no issues with that particularly, other than the fact that my girlfriend is absolutely terrible at math due to ADHD, so even if she were to be involved in NASA, she’d suck at it. it’s an on-going joke with my girlfriend that she’s terrible at math and we have a laugh about it.

the other day, we were hanging out with our mutual friends and she showed them pictures of her brand new NASA/astronaut themed bedsheets that i had no knowledge of her even buying it. i lost it there. i told her to stop being so obsessed with NASA and astronauts and it makes her look childish when it’s not actually her dream job. and to stop wasting her money on things like that.

she looked shocked and got up and left. she hasn’t responded to my texts or calls in nearly 24 hours and i don’t want to show up at her apartment. my friends are telling me i hosed up but i felt like she needed a reality check. AITA?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Evil Willow posted:

He gave her the reality check she needed all right. She now knows she's in reality dating an rear end in a top hat.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Evil Willow posted:

Another case where she’s way cooler than he is.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Barudak posted:

Stay safe sex ghost

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Evil Willow posted:

That's an extreme case of live-to-work brain.

Also,

quote:

i have no issues with that particularly, other than the fact that my girlfriend is absolutely terrible at math due to ADHD
:confused:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Her being bad at math matters because it means she's stupid* and only smart people are allowed to think astronauts are cool*.

*observation only valid using rear end in a top hat logic**
**not to be confused with actual logic

Also from the sound of it, he never actually said he had an issue with her degree of astronaut themed decor until deciding to explode about it out of the blue, which is a class act on its own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hughlander posted:

AITA For refusing to stay with my sister

You don't want to watch your sister eat out a woman in your sleeping space? In Europe this is normal

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

QuarkJets posted:

You don't want to watch your sister eat out a woman in your sleeping space? In Europe this is normal

Nous nous appelons 'The Aristocrats'!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Being obsessed with space and space exploration is extremely cool and good, and should be encouraged.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It was the bedsheets that tipped him over the edge - NASA bedsheets are intimidating to a fragile ego:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

It even has the wingtips

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for exposing my cousin after she called my life pathetic

quote:

I (f21) come from a big family composed of 20 cousins, most of them boys. One of the only other girl cousin I have is the eldest (S, f35) and is this snobby rich parisian girl whom I used to absolutely adore and admire and now I'm just meh about (before the incident) . We met a week ago for a big family reunion. As usual S got very drunk and she gets kinda Alabama-y (kissing a groppin) with another one of my cousin (E, M31) I see them kissing and am absolutely repulsed but just closed my eyes and pretended I didn't see anything. Later a group of my cousins friends came in and we hung out and drank more with them. S and I were talking to the same guy and she kept bringing me down in front of him and the others. It didn't really bother me I'm used to it. Until she interrupted me to say "no one give a poo poo about your pathetic life, you're only that way cause your dad never loved you fatty (la grosse)" (backstory: my dad left me and my brothers about 4 years ago and it took a big toll on my mental health). It made me so mad and sad that said "well at least I'm not a 35yo witch(with a B) who isn't able to pull guys that aren't my cousin." She got mad, screamed that how dare I say such things in front of other people (cause turns out most of my family knew they hooked up at family reunions and did like me, pretended they didn't see anything) and how I am going to embarrass the whole family by saying it to others. Now my aunts and uncles are getting mad that I blabbed a family shame to an outsider and that I should just go tell everyone I was lying for attention. I think I was in the right for defending myself (my brothers think so too) but I'm not sure... Aita ?

And btw please forgive my narration and English I am not a native English speaker

Edit: sorry to ppl from alabama for using the stereotype 😂

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad foreigners know alabama is the bottom of the world

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Im glad foreigners know alabama is the bottom of the world

ROLL TIDE!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Evil Willow posted:

I'm *COUGH COUGH* years old and I love NASA and I hope she straps this dude to a suborbital rocket and finds a dude worthy of her

If I had a NASA obsessed GF/wife is be ecstatic!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pomme de Terror posted:

in america this is very normal

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
[banjo music intensifies]

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Pomme de Terror posted:

Parisians are loving weird tbf

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This isn't r/relationships or AITA but I felt like it fits this thread anyway.

How can I stop my neighbour wanking all day? If I can't stop it, how can I fight back?

quote:

Ok so I live next door to an older couple and their mid-twenties (I think) son. I work from home, so I'm based in the office in my attic. We've lived here for 6 years and it has always been fine, up until recently when I think they've had a house move around and now it seems the son has his bedroom in their attic which is directly next to where I'm sat.

We have extremely thin walls, and I think the son works from home too. The problem is, he doesn't seem to actually do any work, he just spends the majority of the working day shaking hands with the milkman. Spanking the monkey. Battling the purple headed yoghurt slinger. Tugging the slug. I can hear EVERY loving moan and stroke, and I even know his porn preferences because I can hear every sound and word (Older women with a sprinkling of hentai). It has gotten to the point where I can't bring my kids upstairs during the day because they keep asking me what that strange noise is and I'm running out of lies to tell.

So good neighbour, on the extremely small chance you're reading this, STOP SPENDING YOUR ENTIRE DAY STROKING THE VEIN CANE AND DO SOME loving WORK!

Charity Porno
Aug 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

Lotus Aura posted:

This isn't r/relationships or AITA but I felt like it fits this thread anyway.

How can I stop my neighbour wanking all day? If I can't stop it, how can I fight back?

There's no fuckin way unless they both live in tents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for asking my son to consider the needs of his brother when planning the food for his wedding?

quote:

My eldest son "Robert" (age 33) just finished his time in the Canadian Armed Forces and he's moved back to our city now that he's out. Robert also recently got married. Because of the pandemic restrictions in our province at the time and because they didn't want anyone to catch coronavirus they just went to city hall and didn't have a ceremony or any guests or anyone there. They shared photos of it to those who wanted. Once things are safe they'll have the reception with guests and dinner and dancing and everything else.

Obviously nothing is set in stone but they have begun getting ideas about what they want for the reception. Me (age 58) and my wife (age 54) asked Robert to think our younger son John (age 29) and his needs when they choose the food for the reception. John has struggled with his weight. At his heaviest John weighed almost 204 kg (450 pounds). Five years ago John had bariatric surgery and he lost weight but he still weighs about 136 kg (300 pounds). Even after the surgery, which did help, he had a difficult time and he's still trying to lose weight. In terms of the wedding reception we were thinking of things like a plated meal as opposed to an open buffet like they we're thinking of, vegetarian/low carb and other healthy food instead more calorie rich foods and nothing too big for dessert/sugar free or light food. We presented several concrete options for edible but low calorie and healthy ideas. We also thought the other guests might appreciate less temptations. Robert was not receptive to our request. He says they will do whatever they want and John can "deal with it". I know it's difficult to understand if you've never had issues with your weight and Robert is in above average shape due to his time in the Canadian Armed Forces. Robert said he wouldn't even bring this up with his wife. He isn't at all happy with us right now. Even John tried speaking with him and he got nowhere. Was I out of line? I don't believe so but Robert certainly does.

I mean, wedding feasts can have all kinds of poo poo. Most people go to get drunk and party. But you still need food.