Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

FDR was pretty much all about giving Stalin whatever he wanted, let's be clear.

And thats a good thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/magi_jay/status/1478206042945302528

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/orikron/status/1478172619748872192

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have never heard of this and for some reason find it hilarious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfermium_Wars

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFigen/status/1478088634683334666

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
“wounded”

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

“wounded”

Yeah, he died 'with cannonball to the chest', not 'of cannonball to the chest'.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I mean, he was probably alive after the cannonball exited out the back, so 0 pinocchios on this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/happy____feet/status/1478646369950871555

paging gradenko we need more book reports

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/grace_panetta/status/1479154208456814601

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

paging gradenko we need more book reports

excerpted from "Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun", by John Prados

(off-hand, I'd consider this book a much better account of the Solomons campaign than James Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno", which was the one that usually gets tossed around in recommendations)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im intrigued at the idea that killing yamamoto might have been a poor use of opportunity cost when phrased that way its actually kind of inarguable even if he was the best admiral they had its hard to imagine the gap between him and the second best admiral was a more substantial achievement than say an outright victory resulting in the destruction of a large number of japanese forces where they dont know the loss was caused by a cracked code

thats not even getting into how yamamoto was the most powerful voice who thought the entire war was a terrible unwinnable idea it seems odd that the americans could be ultra confident of his superiority as a commander but not be aware of how this superiority naturally inclined him to avoid wanting to fight to the bitter end

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
2nd best after yamamoto is either nagumo or kurita and lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there's no way they could have known it at the time but it's kinda fun thinking about arguing from the other direction: you should keep Yamamoto in the seat because his penchant for overcomplicated plans keeps getting the IJN into trouble

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's no way they could have known it at the time but it's kinda fun thinking about arguing from the other direction: you should keep Yamamoto in the seat because his penchant for overcomplicated plans keeps getting the IJN into trouble

another interesting counterfactual is whether he would have had any effect on the timing of the japanese surrender. i tend to think no, but it's interesting to think about

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Did killing him lead to a bunch of jostling between admirals?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yamamoto probably wouldn’t have allowed Leyte Gulf to happen which on its own creates a pretty different scenario.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Did killing him lead to a bunch of jostling between admirals?

Nope. Yamamoto had written a memo in January 1941 that advised who he wanted to succeed him, and he named Koga Mineichi. Everyone who was more senior than him was already holding a government post with the exception of Toyoda Soemu, and Toyoda lacked Koga's political connections, so he was able to slide into the role without much dispute.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The problem is that Koga died and Toyoda took over and that’s where you get the “aggressive defense” strategy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

The problem is that Koga died and Toyoda took over and that’s where you get the “aggressive defense” strategy.

Ah shoot I hadn't gotten to that part of the book yet! But thanks for the catch

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Sorry for the spoiler, but yeah, it eventually landed on the guy least qualified for the job. The IJN by mid-1944 was largely a spent force and an aggressive strategy only really works if you can do serious damage with sustainable causalities.

Btw, current Russian doctrine is also aggressive-defensive but I think there is much more of an argument to be made the Russians could do serious damage before NATO could fully respond.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Jan 8, 2022

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think Yamamoto kind of got the "Rommel" treatment where after the war his loyal supporters cherry-picked his papers and quotes to make him look better.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sullat posted:

I think Yamamoto kind of got the "Rommel" treatment where after the war his loyal supporters cherry-picked his papers and quotes to make him look better.

There is some of that, but Midway was more than anything else was about code breaking. His planning was complex because he knew the disadvantageous state the entire was in even in at the near peak of its strength.

His planning at Midway was a lot more defensible then Toyoda’s, Japan was fighting from a position at desperation at that point.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ardennes posted:

There is some of that, but Midway was more than anything else was about code breaking. His planning was complex because he knew the disadvantageous state the entire was in even in at the near peak of its strength.

His planning at Midway was a lot more defensible then Toyoda’s, Japan was fighting from a position at desperation at that point.

Midway itself was a defensible plan given the forces present, but as was pointed out in Shattered Sword, it was a critical mistake to ever split up the carriers for any reason. Midway would likely have looked a lot different had the carriers Shokaku, Zuikaku, Ryujo and Junyo, been present, though all that likely would have done is made the Americans fall back to Pearl Harbor and maybe pushed out the war's timeline.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Azathoth posted:

Midway itself was a defensible plan given the forces present, but as was pointed out in Shattered Sword, it was a critical mistake to ever split up the carriers for any reason. Midway would likely have looked a lot different had the carriers Shokaku, Zuikaku, Ryujo and Junyo, been present, though all that likely would have done is made the Americans fall back to Pearl Harbor and maybe pushed out the war's timeline.

Honestly, time was working against the Japanese at that point, they needed to take out US carriers. It was a gamble that didn’t pay off but I don’t think it was a pointless one.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, time was working against the Japanese at that point, they needed to take out US carriers. It was a gamble that didn’t pay off but I don’t think it was a pointless one.

Yeah, they basically needed about 5 more lucky breaks to happen over the course of the war for them to have a chance, one of which being that the US didn't break their codes and another being that they get the drop on the US carriers at Midway, so in that context it wasn't a bad move, and it was probably their best play even if it ended up being a huge setback as it played out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[Modern History] Sorry for the spoiler

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats this threads take on anthony beevors book on the battle of berlin

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dies waiting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stairmaster posted:

whats this threads take on anthony beevors book on the battle of berlin

It’s bad.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"biggest oil fire i've seen in days"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Beevor's book on the Spanish Civil War I thought was fine enough

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I like Glantz' When Titans Clashed. Uncle Joe really took a pickaxe to the brain of the Red army.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

It’s bad.

why

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

He gets really sensational about the topic of rape.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the rapes seemed bad imo

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

He gets really sensational about the topic of rape.

shame our society has nothing about long-term virginity

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s the most Italian thing I have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bengasine pasta looks just like spaghetti, so I guess it ain't going away.