Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

I think this means Trump gets a 4th justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

smarxist posted:

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1479847402169319427

lol

look there's no way to know what even long covid is or does based on anything without long term studies, also all children will be halfwitted sociopaths if they miss some school that started as an institution less than 150 years ago

[COVID] but given that for most people, death isn’t a serious concern

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

If I was a bus driver and a school asked me to teach a class, I'd demand a fat stack of cash right then and there. It's insane that anybody is complying with this bullshit. Fight back, you dummies!

lol ok

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

fosborb posted:

I think this means Trump gets a 4th justice

lol that's actually possible, because there is no way in hell they can confirm a justice right now even with a majority

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Feldegast42 posted:

[COVID] but given that for most people, death isn’t a serious concern

soaking of, what's the source of the current title? Walensky yesterday?

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Feldegast42 posted:

lol that's actually possible, because there is no way in hell they can confirm a justice right now even with a majority

2 years of 6-2 decisions

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Rip Testes posted:

I like how the school sent my kid home with a Chromebook to virtual learn and take away their snow day but want everyone back in school Monday when the weather improves, but Covid hasn't.

If we are equipped to remote learn and actually are doing so for snow why not for Covid until the surge subsides?

I think my town does this, though my kindergartner is to young for a laptop. lol when he is older and they try to pull this poo poo I am completely the type of parent that will say he is suddenly sick so we can go loving sledding.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

snake and bake posted:

I apologize for posting BNO trash. Pillowpants posts are superior

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

You made a fucky wucky :(

PP what is the link to the raw data? want to do some deep diving on CT numbers today.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OK baizuo posted:

Got my pcr results back. It's official :coronatoot:

If the US hits 1,000,000 positive cases today, I did my part for number

first wang commander, now you

o7

fits my needs posted:

lol thats not their MO, they are just gonna funnel weapons/drones to whatever faction if poo poo does get like, bad bad or whatever.

that's the US

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1479663011715432448

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Buffer posted:

we could've put our best dark pattern minds to work figuring out how to make apps that trick you into learning math.

vidya games already exist

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Petey posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CX3ju9OFLRP/?utm_medium=copy_link

idk if this will embed but it is this thread rolling into 2022

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pillowpants posted:

So, let’s talk about the state of the Pandemic
-record numbers of kids hospitalized
-About to hit all time record of hospitalizations today
-Back up to a 9/11 of daily deaths
-It’s not slowing down
-100 million people have long covid
-There’s no national plan to distribute masks to society
-The Democrats are adopting Trumps talking points about Covid and being hospitalized with Covid but not because.
-Faucimengele is acting like a mob boss and not even looking at new vaccines.
-Walensky is horrible
-Desantis has covid but since we are in the worst timeline nothing will happen.
-Hospitals and medical professionals are overwhelmed, in every loving state.
-Schools stay open no matter what? half the kids show up? combine classes. Staffing issues? have the bus drivers cover!
-Planes trains and bus companies are making symptomatic employees work
-New CDC isolation recommendations are months late and based off of the July august delta wave.
-Testing has collapsed.
-The Social Contract is dead
-Capital has won.
-Omicron is mild
-The Government seems to rely on Twitter posts from a washed up polling analyst and an anonymous furry for its policies.
hosed up if true

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

crepeface posted:

o7

that's the US

well they cant build one-belt one-road across the ocean!!! hmmm, can they?

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

Raiad posted:

2 years of 6-2 decisions

Please, they'll nominate a centrist to show they're still interested in bipartisanship and we'll get years of 7-2 decisions

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Dolphin posted:

hosed up if true

we are the masters of our own reality

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
liberals when i say i need a peer reviewed statistically significant study showing that ivermectin will help with my covid infection before i put ivermectin in my body:
:hmmyes:

liberals when i say i need a peer reviewed statistically significant study showing the vaccinated won't get long covid before i put covid in my body:
:chloe:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Animal-Mother posted:

If I was a bus driver and a school asked me to teach a class, I'd demand a fat stack of cash right then and there. It's insane that anybody is complying with this bullshit. Fight back, you dummies!

I posted this in the Healthcare thread, but a bunch of us that no longer work bedside just got asked to volunteer for shifts at the hospital. For free, of course, and we'd still have to do our day jobs.

I googled the size of our endowment, joker laughed for a bit, and didn't respond.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

Mola Yam posted:

"collapse" always gets talked about like there are two camps: sudden vs. gradual

it's the same thing though, just at different time scales. it's the way any decayed system falls apart. a rotten fruit can still look ~ok~, but squeeze the right part and the whole thing is revealed to be junk.

the soviet union was declining for years, but it was still very much a thing in the middle of 1991. six months later, it wasn't.

american control over afghanistan had maybe waned a bit, but if you weren't paying that much attention, it still seemed pretty good on the morning of the 15th of august

anyway just thinking about this, no reason.

This is the sort of behavior you see in equilibrium solutions of nonlinear systems of equations with embedded parameters, when the parameters are tweaked through a bifurcation point.

When you pass the parameter through (i) a critical value where (ii) two different solutions cross each other (i.e., a "bifurcation point"), you typically see
  • stability exchanged between the two different solutions as the parameter passes through the critical value, and
  • in the real-world situation your equation models, there is a very abrupt transition between two different states with differing qualitative behaviors.
Imagine you're holding a playing card between your thumb and your fingers. If you don't stress it by squeezing, the card remains flat. Squeeze past a certain point and the card abruptly buckles.

That is exactly what the abstract mathematics tells you will happen. It's a sort of transition you often see in nonlinear systems, which is just about every really interesting system in the entire biological world.

That phrase "biological world" encompasses all ecology, including the artificial economic and political ecologies humans create.

So what the observer watching the real world system sees, is an apparent stability that looks like granite - until it suddenly snaps. And things start changing very very fast.

There are lots of examples. Your example of the Soviet Union's collapse was a good one.

The collapse of Belgian colonial rule in the Congo Basin is another, and one of my favorites: nobody saw it coming. Not the Belgians, not the locals, not the CIA, not the USSR, not anybody. The local groups who were working to overturn Belgian rule had no better idea of what was happening than anyone else. Patrice Lumumba, Joseph Mobutu, and all the rest were caught completely flat-footed. Their unpreparedness helped usher in an utterly catastrophic 60+ year period in Congo Basin history which is not yet settled down and gives no signs of coming to an equilibrium any time soon.

The collapse of the Russian Empire is another one. It went from food riots (really just peaceful street demonstrations early on, since nobody wanted to get their heads kicked in or cut off by the Imperial gendarmes of last resort, the Cossacks) to the abdication of the Czar and the utter disintegration of the Empire within a month.

Another feature of transitions like this is, that the actual triggering event is often something comparatively trivial. If the system under stress was more robust, it would simply be swallowed up in the usual flow of events.

But when the underlying system is structurally unstable, the smallest most ridiculous thing can trigger one of these hyper-rapid transitions. And once that happens, there's no way to put the yolk back into the shattered eggshell. You can't return to the status quo ante, no matter how much you may want to.

You've got a bunch of workers in downtown Saint Petersburg who are demonstrating in the streets because there's no food for their kids, and they won't disperse when you ask them nicely? Book solution is to send in the Cossacks. Break enough heads, and you'll break up the demonstrations PDQ. Unless, of course, your Cossacks have spent some of their own time, not to say blood and lives, in the same futile trenches everybody else has, and are as sick of the regime as the demonstrators are.

When the Cossacks tip the demonstrators the wink, you're well and truly hosed.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

You're going through air other people have been breathing.

breathing some of the same molecules as hitler

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

What's the best source on variants in USA right now (that isn't the CDC)

Any states report on them well?

Alabama's dashboard reports on variants over the past 4 weeks. But as you can see, the number of sequences performed is pretty low.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also i'd rather take the ivermectin than the covid

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

yeah pretty much a feature of capitalism

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Competition for covid video games is heating up

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1814060/Virus_at_Home/

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golli posted:

Alabama's dashboard reports on variants over the past 4 weeks. But as you can see, the number of sequences performed is pretty low.

*writing headline*

we have eradicated alpha, beta, gamma, epsilon, eta, iota, kappa, zeta, and mu!!!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mystes posted:

You're going through air other people have been breathing.

morpheus voice:] you think that's filtered air you're breathing?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fits my needs posted:

well they cant build one-belt one-road across the ocean!!! hmmm, can they?

time for phase 2: two belt to road

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

morpheus voice:] you think you're breathing?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

morpheus voice:] you think?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/deviantollam/status/1479560197794189312

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pillowpants posted:

So, let’s talk about the state of the Pandemic
-record numbers of kids hospitalized
-About to hit all time record of hospitalizations today
-Back up to a 9/11 of daily deaths
-It’s not slowing down
-100 million people have long covid
-There’s no national plan to distribute masks to society
-The Democrats are adopting Trumps talking points about Covid and being hospitalized with Covid but not because.
-Faucimengele is acting like a mob boss and not even looking at new vaccines.
-Walensky is horrible
-Desantis has covid but since we are in the worst timeline nothing will happen.
-Hospitals and medical professionals are overwhelmed, in every loving state.
-Schools stay open no matter what? half the kids show up? combine classes. Staffing issues? have the bus drivers cover!
-Planes trains and bus companies are making symptomatic employees work
-New CDC isolation recommendations are months late and based off of the July august delta wave.
-Testing has collapsed.
-The Social Contract is dead
-Capital has won.
-Omicron is mild
-The Government seems to rely on Twitter posts from a washed up polling analyst and an anonymous furry for its policies.

pseudonymous* furry

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

what is not clicking here

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1479848105516351490

https://twitter.com/GKMC18/status/1479452725624684551

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

fine but we start by valuing matty’s body at -$20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/playbookdc/status/1479855967705653250?s=20

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

crepeface posted:

WAIT WANG COMMANDER GOT COVID?!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

lol nice cover from the propaganda machine

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

im not buying it

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

They’re such loving trash and the dc examiner chud didn’t correct her tweet either. This is why social media is a cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I think you're right. I started trawling like a dozen places I've never even heard of and can't find any. Didn't have this issue last week. Kind of spooky they're suddenly gone everywhere at once.
OP was about the 9210 vanishing everywhere, all at once.

Remember the way the TP and paper towels suddenly vanished in every retail outlet, all at the same time, back in early 2020?

Hoarding behavior works like that.