Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ultiville posted:

That said, WoW was/is also fantastically bad at curating a welcoming online space in a way that a lot of nerd communities, including many TG ones, could and should learn from. Like, there are a lot of places Bannon could have done that and it ended up being WoW by virtue of it being of a critical size and where Bannon was, but there are also places where it would be harder to do that, and there are identifiable and important reasons for that.

WoW's moderation team also defends right wing spaces more than left wing spaces. A KKK RP Guild that only allowed white skinned humans and dwarves was allowed to continue existing, but a guild that required people to say "Trans rights are human rights" as a part of the application process to prove that you actually read the guild rules was shut down for being political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MonsterEnvy posted:

No free hardback books, but free few page pdfs.

What are these, then?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/28/warhammer-40000-seasons-are-going-to-change-the-way-you-conquer-the-galaxy/

I'm not trying to be hostile here, but it sure looks like they're saying they're going to print hardback books for "updates."

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cessna posted:

What are these, then?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/28/warhammer-40000-seasons-are-going-to-change-the-way-you-conquer-the-galaxy/

I'm not trying to be hostile here, but it sure looks like they're saying they're going to print hardback books for "updates."

My 40k is rusty, but in AoS we get a general handbook every year with contains a set of scenarios and other stuff for matched play. Points are available online or in app anyway. I doubt they will push out something like that every 6 months for 40k

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Covermeinsunshine posted:

My 40k is rusty, but in AoS we get a general handbook every year with contains a set of scenarios and other stuff for matched play. Points are available online or in app anyway. I doubt they will push out something like that every 6 months for 40k

Given how they did Psychic Awakening - hardback books with army updates - I would bet good money that they will do just that, a new book you buy every six months to keep your army up to date.

When has GW ever been shy about making money?

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
The artist of the logo that nuTSR is suing and grifting over has spoken up:

https://twitter.com/BrainClouds/status/1479472322276995073

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Uhh...I have bad news for you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Varg Vikernes trending on twitter for making some really cynically weepy post about how "You couldn't make Lord of the Rings today!!" and everyone trying to dunk on him like he's Ben Shapiro saying something stupid and not a very public white supremacist + convicted arsonist and murderer is sure a thing happening today.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
everyone on twitter who already knew who varg was is saying that but I don't know how the dunks would be any different. "wow your opinions on lord of the rings are as bad as your opinions on whether or not you should murder someone" lacks something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Impermanent posted:

everyone on twitter who already knew who varg was is saying that but I don't know how the dunks would be any different. "wow your opinions on lord of the rings are as bad as your opinions on whether or not you should murder someone" lacks something.

"Go burn a church about it you piece of poo poo"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Impermanent posted:

It's twitter, there has to be a "SILENCE Neo Nazi" glowing-eyed monster meme gif.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: Misread, ignore.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 8, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Impermanent posted:

That does explain where all the 'please do not engage with the murderer Neo-Nazi and church-burning arsonist if you'd be so kind' came from.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

taichara posted:

The artist of the logo that nuTSR is suing and grifting over has spoken up:

https://twitter.com/BrainClouds/status/1479472322276995073
Good on her. Also, Ernie is shown to be just as complicit as anyone paying attention knew he'd be. It should thoroughly kill any unearned sympathy about him 'being used' by LaNasa.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
How did I not learn until today that Darlene designed the wizard-face-in-profile TSR logo?

I'm such an idiot for never noticing. That's absolutely her calligraphy.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Impermanent posted:

The Transilvanian Hunger for attention, etc etc.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

Given how they did Psychic Awakening - hardback books with army updates - I would bet good money that they will do just that, a new book you buy every six months to keep your army up to date.

When has GW ever been shy about making money?

This does look like GW is getting in on the subscription model for tabletop play. But I don't think it'll be too bad on the actual average 40K player, you'll only need one of the new books per game group so the new missions and narrative campaign stuff is available. They picked up a lot of new customers over lockdown, and this looks like a way to generate a revenue stream from them now that people can go back to their FLGS to actually play this stuff.

I'm only back active with 40K stuff since the new Kill Team was announced, but the Crusade content that's turned up in White Dwarf has been pretty interesting. A strong narrative play element is a lot more interesting than just bashing two armies together, so this just might not suck. I think what we're going to get is a lot of secondary objective cards keyed to more specific factions, a series of missions where (for example) the Imperial player is always on defense, and if the Aeldari win enough with the Rangers, they start getting regular craftworld units added to their lists to represent reinforcements.

It's GW, so it is a cash grab. But it might not suck for the people who play at the FLGS once or twice a month. The WH Community video made it look like one lore-heavy book and one with the secondary objective cards and such every season. That's a nice split, the lore-only people get a book, the play-every-weekend people get a shitload of new campaign stuff, and GW makes out like bandits.

This should also be a shot in the arm for the FLGS. The base concept behind the seasons is playing the game in a structured format, so that puts people in the store. And it encourages them to buy models at a steady pace as your crusade force develops.

tl;dr Could be cool, might suck.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The new focus on narrative play with Crusade and Path to Glory are honestly pretty great, and the new Path to Gloryfor AoS better than they’ve ever had for narrative rules.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Crusade has lowkey always been the best way to play 40k

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Impermanent posted:

while the anti-4e discourse out there was definitely a nostalgic backlash against the concept of things improving over time and a few of the bigger names later went on to gamergate I cannot help but feel that saying that it has any relationship other than that to the rise of the alt-right is hugely overstating the importance of 4e, dungeons and dragons, and roleplaying games as a whole.
No, I don't think that D&D edition wars were a significant factor in Gamergate. It was the other way around.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

No, I don't think that D&D edition wars were a significant factor in Gamergate. It was the other way around.
There's a timeline issue here: Gamergate kicked off in August 2014, the hyperangry 4E backlash largely happened before that (5E came out in 2014 - Starter set dropped in July, PHB in August, MM in September, DMG in December). There's no doubt that some people have kicked back at 5E, but the angriest and most corrosive edition war was the 3E->4E one, which had largely run its course by that point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

4th edition came out in 2007. Gamergate congealed into a movement in 2014. 5e was already out for 2 years by that time. If you're trying to allude to the same broad reactionary forces or people driving both backlashes, that's a bit different and I think. Like yeah Alexander Macris platformed and propagated 4e misinformation, and then later he did a lot of the same legwork for gg, but he's really the only one who properly influenced both. Some of the other D&D reactionaries jumped onto the gg wagon, too, but none of them could establish themselves as anything or were straight up objects of derision like the time James Desborough lost a debate against a twitter bot. They also haven't been able to funnel that energy back into tabletop RPG spaces, and the roving reactionary grifters haven't even bothered trying to make the jump and start anything either.

But I don't know, I think 4e certainly had a marketing problem and let critics win the spin war by barely participating. I'd credit Paizo with spearheading that initiative, and while it seems like a lot of their management are weird misogynistic racists, I don't recall them being linked to gamergate. I'm sure there was some shrieking about the new game adding tools and features, and talking about making a more accessible game to bring new people into the hobby. Just like diversity initiatives in video games or movies/tv, or even the influx of new 5e D&D players from the actual play renaissance. I don't know what it says other than "There's awful people out there on the fringes and we need to make sure they stay out there until they die off."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The 5e stuff had to keep separate from the GG stuff, because zak and his followers kept pretending to be the progressive ones and aligning with gamergate would blow that paper thin façade wide open.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I think I've mentioned it before on these forums, but I think the 3e-4e edition war relates to more modern online reactionary movements more in the sense that internet nerds have long had a reactionary streak, it just wasn't until Gamergate that someone thought to try and actually manipulate that tende3ncy for social or political ends. The arguments against 4e, in a lot of ways, were founded on the same sort of "New thing bad, outsiders invade nerd space, we must return to the glorious golden age of our nerd past!" rhetoric and logic that later reactionaries thrive on, just aimed at a totally non-political topic.

So I don't think the edition war led to or directly influenced poo poo like Gamergate, just that it was the product of the same malignant rhetoric that people took advantage of to spawn Gamergate.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Berserk Games, the company that makes Tabletop Simulator, is currently doing the non-apology shuffle after getting caught in 4K banning someone for stating in chat that they're queer because it isn't the place to discuss "politics or fetishes."

https://twitter.com/XoeAllred/status/1479685597350350849
https://twitter.com/WatchItPlayed/status/1479854820760735746

And the followup statement:
https://twitter.com/TabletopSim/status/1479909440065257474

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah that's very much not an apology.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

so what key words were they "spamming" and why did those get them flagged?

i'll wait

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I tried to read the screenshots in the Google doc but they seem illegible (at least on my phone).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

I tried to read the screenshots in the Google doc but they seem illegible (at least on my phone).

The moderator was saying that merely stating you are gay or trans is "discussing sexuality, fetishes, politics." TTS should be apologizing for their moderator's statements and making it clear that those statements were incorrect and that's not their policy.

I didn't see any screenshots of the alleged "spamming" thing that preceded the above chat.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
They've been using this excuse since 2018. It just didn't get any traction till now.

There is precious little reason to believe this is tactic is anything except an anti-gay and anti-trans canard. I mean, calling gay and trans identities 'fetishistic' is so loving disgusting and out of line that it's impossible to 'charitably' misinterpret this as some sort of "big tent, all ages, everyone's welcome" capitalist bullshit, which would still be wrong. This just screams past that level of "potentially innocent but unacceptable harm" to pure naked bigotry; that specific language makes me think that they perhaps adhere (knowingly or unknowingly) to some fringe hurtful anti-trans anti-scientific bullshit.

It's literally so simple: "That mod was wrong. We will endeavor to communicate better, and are reviewing our moderation policies." That's it! Then the controversy goes away. From a purely tactical perspective, I cannot fathom why they aren't immediately capitulating, but apparently they can't do that because they must loving hate gay and trans people so drat much they can't stomach the idea that they might visibly exist on their service that they paid to use with green spendable dollars.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i fuckin wish autogynephilia was fringe bullshit the way the discourse goes these days :smith:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Arivia posted:

i fuckin wish autogynephilia was fringe bullshit the way the discourse goes these days :smith:

Yeah :smith: I was a tiny bit afraid to even bring it up and afford it even an iota of legitimacy, but them using the word 'fetishistic' just seemed super informative towards their motivations. So, I was trying to find a way to raise the thought while adequately dismissing it for the hurtful tripe that it is. However, you're right that its apparent broad subconscious pop cultural status probably means 'fringe' is not the right word.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Leperflesh posted:

The moderator was saying that merely stating you are gay or trans is "discussing sexuality, fetishes, politics." TTS should be apologizing for their moderator's statements and making it clear that those statements were incorrect and that's not their policy.

I didn't see any screenshots of the alleged "spamming" thing that preceded the above chat.

The "spamming" was Xoe testing out the chat's word filter after moderation action. It's a blatant lie on the part of TS, since the order of events is backwards.

https://twitter.com/Typhin_Skunk/status/1479922793458376705

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Thought that might be it, yeah. They’ve been caught flagrantly lying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/TabletopSim/status/1480229909150769156

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

well that's better, but if they'd said that to begin with they wouldn't have had to nuke global chat from orbit

maybe a few more people put a little daylight between gender, sex, and sexuality in their thinking

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

https://twitter.com/XoeAllred/status/1480260207758303238?s=20

Until I see some actual changes I'm skeptical that this is anything. "we are going to take down the entire global chat channel rather than firing thus mod and just stop banning for mentioning LGBTQ+ poo poo" makes this still not very good

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 10, 2022

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Piell posted:

Until I see some actual changes I'm skeptical that this is anything. "we are going to take down the entire global chat channel rather than firing thus mod and just stop banning for mentioning LGBTQ+ poo poo" makes this still not very good

It's an action nobody asked for, and notably the mod in question is still very much active and defending their actions on the official TTS discord server, so it looks like this is just a pretty standard sweeping of things under the rug. Speaking of which holy poo poo does the TTS discord server seem like a hot fuckin mess of a place
https://twitter.com/UmbyUmbreon/status/1480297239822041088
https://twitter.com/TheDavidRitch/status/1479908439824519178

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Transphobes are also love-bombing Tabletop Simulator's Steam ratings to counteract people giving it a thumbs down and bragging about it on the TTS discord. Seems pretty unlikely that they try to take any action to sweep those people out.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 10, 2022

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Playing in person got a lot more appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Fortunately there are a ton of ways to do everything tts does but better (though not all at the same time) without needing to play in person. There's a list of alternatives in one of these twitter threads, I know.