Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Thanks for the advice

Pre-christmas, ours was going down for 30-45 min naps during the day in her crib, supplemented by 1.5h contact naps, and was starting to sleep for 6-9 hour stretches at night.

Now, naps are a roll of the dice on whether she'll wake up as soon as she gets horizontal, and nighttime sleep has basically become "no matter how asleep I look, if you put me down I will be awake within an hour"

This is made substantially worse by my sister's kid, who is 3 weeks older than mine and has been falling asleep on their own semi regularly for a month now :tizzy:

Not supposed to compare but it's drat hard not to some days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

All of these fixed-month "regressions" are just over-generalizations. I think some American parenting-self-help guru made them up. ...Most babies have periods when they sleep like crap, ..., it's just babies being babies, doing random poo poo because their brains are constantly on fire from developing so quickly. Don't fret about them

Truth

Also, being human, our schedules change. If your baby is not sleeping very well lately, maybe it's because the last two weeks have been Christmas/new years with wild variations from their regular sleep/daycare schedule, eating/nap cycles, change in diet (who had uncle Billy give their kid egg nog as a "treat" when you weren't looking?) etc etc etc

My baby has always been an excellent sleeper, our daycare is trying to transition her to one nap a day which means she doesn't eat much before bed and wakes up hungry at 2am the last four weeks, I'm about to murder them

There's a million uncontrollable variables, but you can control for some things good luck

My favorite post here was probably 9+ months ago, someone bitching that grandma and grandpa wanted to come over and play with them during their nap time, and basically threatened to disown his own parents over the very thought of loving with The Schedule

If you can control The Schedule you can solve a lot of sleep and behavioral issues, in theory at least

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

ChickenWing posted:

Not supposed to compare but it's drat hard not to some days

It's really hard. Try to remember that every kid/parent is gonna have challenges with something while other stuff is easy.

My kiddo was a champion sleeper fresh out of the womb, we just lucked out on that one. She was also insanely difficult to potty train and actively resisted transitioning to underpants and toilet use until she was almost four. You win some, you lose some :shrug:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hadlock posted:

If you can control The Schedule you can solve a lot of sleep and behavioral issues, in theory at least

The Schedule is King, and routines are cheat codes.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bee posted:

It's really hard. Try to remember that every kid/parent is gonna have challenges with something while other stuff is easy.

My kiddo was a champion sleeper fresh out of the womb, we just lucked out on that one. She was also insanely difficult to potty train and actively resisted transitioning to underpants and toilet use until she was almost four. You win some, you lose some :shrug:

ain't this the truth

we went back to daycare this week and my little tyke has grown a ton. kids who were just below are now shoulder level. I've never really been sentimental for infant months but seeing them objectively become a child before my eyes made me weepy :cry:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Finally got to see our daughter in person after she spent a week at horsehumper's house. Minor freak-outs all around - the usual temper tantrums - but she was mostly upset that 1) mommy wasn't at home (mrs beatnik is in the office wednesdays and thursdays) and 2) i wouldn't let her snatch toys out of her 2yo brother's hands.

On top of that she said that she didn't tell the CPS agent that talked to her about some of the troubling things he's done in the past that *she* told *us*. Which after a disaster of a talk with her therapist last week ("hey our daughter literally took down the weekly calendar when she realized she was going to her dad's and drew unhappy faces all over it and she says she's afraid to tell you things since you'll tell her dad. She tells us these things unprompted out of the blue and we're concerned." "Maybe she's saying these things to you because she's worried about how you feel.") just makes me want to break things.

On top of that her dad apparently told her she was going to be spending equal time at both houses despite the family civil procedures literally not allowing the judge to rule that way (but holy gently caress is the judge trying) and we couldn't get a response back from our attorney's office.

So now i find myself swallowing my own feelings to give my wife support and not get her worked up more.

loving hell.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

citybeatnik posted:

So now i find myself swallowing my own feelings to give my wife support and not get her worked up more.

loving hell.

Jesus H, that's a lot. Sending you long-distance hugs and hoping for the best.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Well poo poo for all of the great things I said about sleep training, that all goes out the window when baby is sick. Little dude hardly slept last night and will only nap on dads chest, any attempts to lay him down in the crib result in screaming :(

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

remigious posted:

Well poo poo for all of the great things I said about sleep training, that all goes out the window when baby is sick. Little dude hardly slept last night and will only nap on dads chest, any attempts to lay him down in the crib result in screaming :(

If they're stuffy, one of those tiny triangle pillows that elevates them works very well. But yeah pretty much, when they're stick or teething everything goes out the window, but it's much easier to get them sleep trained again because you're not starting from zero again.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Baby spiked a fever in the middle of the night but it was gone by morning, then his nose started to run like a fire hose. Got him covid tested today, he has been SO FUSSY all day. Really hoping it’s negative, I’ve been so careful and taking all the precautions for two years, but they have to go to daycare.

My toddler is doing great with potty training, only a few accidents a week when she’s tired or distracted. She’s also been waking up to tell me she has to go potty. That’s great and all, but when it’s 5:30am and the commotion wakes up the baby and she’s so excited about using the potty that everyone is fully awake… not so great.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
19mo's new reaction to every no is to walk up and baby slap the sayer of no.

Sometimes it's cute as hell and I have to remind myself to respond like a parent.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Is there any pointers in helping a baby start walking? Ours was quick to crawl, sit and stand, but she won’t take more than a few steps with a walker before plopping down. I know I should let it come naturally, but my wife and I were both walking by 1 year, and she is one year and one week.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is there any pointers in helping a baby start walking? Ours was quick to crawl, sit and stand, but she won’t take more than a few steps with a walker before plopping down. I know I should let it come naturally, but my wife and I were both walking by 1 year, and she is one year and one week.

I wouldn’t really worry about it now to be honest. It is perfectly natural to start walking later. Ours started taking steps at 13 months and then switched to almost exclusively walking at 15 months.

He wasn’t really into walkers at all for what it’s worth.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 7, 2022

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

My kiddo looooved exploring the splash park by holding onto my hands and walking around. She started to become confident at taking steps on her own at about a year old. I think it helped that I put little shoes on her and she didn’t want to crawl on the concrete. She was walking with support that way by around 10 months.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

meanolmrcloud posted:

There isn't really anything you can do to help.

The normal range for walking is up to 18 months. She has plenty of time and she'll figure it out!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My first walked a few weeks after 12 months, my second knee shuffled from 11 months to 15 months. First steps at 14 months, walking from 15 months on. She runs now, it is much harder. Don’t rush.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
She might just need time to form the opinion that walking is worthwhile. Right now crawling is the superior, more efficient form of locomotion and standing is a novelty. She may very well be capable of it right now but isn't interested in showing it. Until she has more of a reason to practice it, walking isn't a goal in and of itself.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So a couple weeks ago my toddler got croup. We went to the doctor, they gave him some steroids, and for the past week+ he’s been fine.

All of a sudden the coughing came back yesterday and last night it started to sound like croup again.

Any idea if this is contagious? I’m going to call the doctors office today, but just curious if anyone else has run into this before.

We haven’t been around anyone the past few weeks since he caught it, so I don’t get wtf is going on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Croup cough, haven't been near anyone, have you gotten them tested for covid yet? It's insanely contagious, can travel quite far

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/omicron-variant-kids-croup-cough-rcna11170

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

Croup cough, haven't been near anyone, have you gotten them tested for covid yet? It's insanely contagious, can travel quite far

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/omicron-variant-kids-croup-cough-rcna11170

Well that’s not what I wanted to read…we went to the doctor when he first had symptoms and they ruled out Covid. They told us to just stay away from people until the cough was gone, which we did.

Since we haven’t been around anyone I don’t see how it could still be Covid this far after the croup, but anything’s possible.

No tests around us so this should be fun. The tests I ordered still haven’t shown up yet.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Can the doctor order another test? Might be easier than trying to find one at a drugstore or w/e. My husband has a cold that our last home test was negative on, and since the baby and I both started showing symptoms yesterday I wanted to get myself tested just to be safe. All the local drugstores were booked up but my GP was able to put in the order after a MyChart message and I could use the hospital's drive through testing site.

Thankfully, my test also came back negative, so we don't think we need to worry about our 3.5 month old having covid. Frankly she's the least fussy of the three of us with this cold. The gas she's had lately is far more concerning to her.

Also her little baby coughs are so pathetic.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nwin posted:

Well that’s not what I wanted to read…we went to the doctor when he first had symptoms and they ruled out Covid.
How did the doctor rule out COVID? Did they test?

Anyways, coughing (and vomiting, fever even) that surfaces a week or two after a respiratory infection could be a pneumonia. You should take him to the pediatrician so they can listen to his lungs. If it is a pneumonia it's often easily treated with antibiotics.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How did the doctor rule out COVID? Did they test?

Anyways, coughing (and vomiting, fever even) that surfaces a week or two after a respiratory infection could be a pneumonia. You should take him to the pediatrician so they can listen to his lungs. If it is a pneumonia it's often easily treated with antibiotics.

They didn’t test. They heard the whooping cough and immediately went with croup.

I’m traveling, so the pediatrician sent us to urgent care…waiting now for a rapid test and further info.

Edit: urgent care saw no need to test, gave him an oral steroid for a mild case of croup.

nwin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 7, 2022

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that croup is a airway swelling caused by an illness, not an illness itself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's what the article says, I think

Really impressed you saw two different doctors, one while traveling, and both declined to test

I feel like if I were traveling, I'd want to know if anyone in my party had covid, but to each their own, good luck

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

That's what the article says, I think

Really impressed you saw two different doctors, one while traveling, and both declined to test

I feel like if I were traveling, I'd want to know if anyone in my party had covid, but to each their own, good luck

Me too. We were driving and not flying. 6 hour trip so only stopped at one rest stop. It’s northern Virginia and Connecticut too, where masks and Covid awareness are pretty prevalent.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I just made my toddler upset because I laughed at her. Got to train myself in holding that impulse back.

Someone gave us a little electronic storybook which I hate. It sings out these cheery little phrases like “Turn the pages and explore! Enjoy the music!” I caught her talking back at it, saying “No I will not turn the pages! I don’t enjoy things!” Couldn’t help myself and burst out laughing.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
It’s not covid, hooray! Just yet another cold.

My toddler is on a Gabby’s Dollhouse kick. She also loves the movie Vivo, and the main character is named Gabby. She will randomly blurt out OH GABBY in an exasperated tone.

It was -27 today with even worse wind chills, so there was a lot of screen time today.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The wife and my mother-in-law were on the phone video chatting, and she decided to let my five year old know it was my mother-in-law's birthday this weekend.

My Wife: We have to talk to grandma on Saturday, know why?
My Kid: No
My Wife: She's getting older, that's why
My Kid: Yeah, she's going to die soon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last night I was taking the kids and myself for corona testing. They'd been sent home from school due to possible flue symptoms and a coworker of mine had gotten a positive test after he got back from visiting family in Bosnia over the christmas.

Anyway once we got to the city I decided to fill up on gas because it was very low and after that one of the twins just vomited all over himself in the back seat... Had to get his winter clothes off and try and clean up the backseat as well as possible.

The other twin asked (in swedish) "What's that smell?"
I say (in swedish)"It's vomit!"
He responds (in english) "Smells like freedom!"

No corona test was taken that evening. Today I have to shovel away 30cm of snow (again) and see if I can get the car seat out of the car so I dcan take it inside and wash it. Can't wash a car when it's -13 outside. I am not sure I have the mental strength to also go again today. But I guess I have to...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I'm not a doctor, but starting Wednesday you should probably just assume if you're sick it's covid through middle of January and socially distance until proven otherwise, maybe longer, even if you were vaccinated. Omicron is ridiculously infectious compared to Delta, even if you subscribe to the idea that it's "mild"

Thanks for attending my :tinfoil::hf::hmmrona: Ted Talk

Just quoting myself here from right after Christmas, we posted 900,000 new recorded cases Friday, not including rapid tests etc. That's just for the United States.

That comes out to uh, 8 people per second, I think

Omicron seems to be at least partly immune to vaccines etc, do your own reading, but yeah if your kid is sick there is a non zero chance it's covid. Worldometers is predicting about 15 million people in the US currently have it. So be careful

I don't care what you do with this information, just wanted to say it, thanks

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Baby is almost 20 months old and just gives the absolute best hugs. Such an amazing little dude

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Just quoting myself here from right after Christmas, we posted 900,000 new recorded cases Friday, not including rapid tests etc. That's just for the United States.

That comes out to uh, 8 people per second, I think

Omicron seems to be at least partly immune to vaccines etc, do your own reading, but yeah if your kid is sick there is a non zero chance it's covid. Worldometers is predicting about 15 million people in the US currently have it. So be careful

I don't care what you do with this information, just wanted to say it, thanks

It's also apparently not uncommon for omicron to cause croup in kids.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Well, often times at urgent care the person acting in a medical capacity is not actually a doctor. So there's that.

Seriously though, the difference between a MD/DO and a PA is that the former recognizes that croup is a symptom of disease while the latter follows a script that says croup is the disease itself. A script that's yet to be updated for COVID. They're the medical equivalent of tier 1 tech support.

(I hate to be so disparaging towards PAs but I've yet to have a good experience with one. It's not really their fault the system enables them despite a lack of sufficient training and being dangerously under-qualified.)

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

With pediatric care, I think we’ve had a fairly different experience with PAs (all of whom have been great thus far) vs. MDs (including an anti-masker, one who prescribed a medication not recommended for children as young as ours, and one who did the aforementioned croup script).

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Kiddo is pretty consistent at using the bathroom when he's at daycare. At home, if I even dare say "potty" he loses his goddamn mind and screams and cries and refuses to try. If I don't immediately give in and let him do something else, it leads into a full blown head slamming tantrum every time. He's 21months, daycare started all the kids back in October. We had a pretty good success rate at home, until the last month of the above behavior. He gets maybe one pee a day in there now (there's no gates or closed doors, he can go whenever and we offer it every 45 min).

The routine is he has to try when he wakes up in the morning and from his nap, before we go anywhere, and then about every 45 min in between playing. We go in with him, sing songs, read a book, etc. He doesn't have to go, just has to sit and try for maybe ten seconds.
Any ideas? It's driving me insane. I feel like we can't make progress until we can figure out what the hell his avoidance is. He's not scared of it or anything as far as I can tell, just absolutely does not want to have to stop what he's doing.

-edit-

after 20 minutes of screaming after his nap when I tried to bring him to the potty, got him calmed down, he grabbed a book and went pee in the potty. Seems like it's a typical toddler control thing - but how do you navigate this one area where he can't choose not to use the potty?

Sipher fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I dislike PAs on principle. My wife has exactly one (1) at the ER she likes (since FL Medicaid is an landfill inferno of a bag of dicks) but I have yet to have a good experience with them. Medical tier 1 tech support is a perfect descriptor.

Kids seem to have gotten over covid pretty quickly. I myself am still suffering respiratory effects and am now either clogged in my good ear (severe hearing loss on right, left is okay) or have lost hearing over there. Wife still on her rear end. gently caress this stupid virus.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The baby is getting so much more communicative.

Last night he went to bed all hyper. I hear him babbling and playing for about 15 minutes. Then he shouts "dada blanket" and I walk in and he's laying down holding the blanket out towards the door and immediately goes to sleep once I put it on him. :kimchi:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Hey thread, I’m struggling.

E: I’m fine, I’m doing the best I can, loving my kids more than anything in the world, flossing every day, hydrating, etc.

Life is just tough sometimes.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

Hey thread, I’m struggling.

E: I’m fine, I’m doing the best I can, loving my kids more than anything in the world, flossing every day, hydrating, etc.

Life is just tough sometimes.

Just putting it out there, if you ever need someone to vent to I'm more than happy to listen, by PM or whatever.