Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

imagining a perfect world where NWH's stinger was Molina-Ock popping out of a portal in a Superior Spider-Man Suit and saying "you guys aren't gonna believe this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

imagining a perfect world where NWH's stinger was Molina-Ock popping out of a portal in a Superior Spider-Man Suit and saying "you guys aren't gonna believe this"

Andrew Garfield grabs his tool belt and his hat and says "I believe it". Holland says "You do?". Garfield looks at the camera and says "Oh, I believe." Whimsical clarinet music plays.

After the credits we cut to two Japanese businessmen. They say "After all the adventures you have been through, we would like to make a video game based on your lives. What should we call it?" Camera pans over to two JK Simmonses. "Jolly Jonah Japes!"

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ReginaBenavid18/status/1477788739220946948

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Morbius delayed yet again. Can't really blame Sony, though I'm surprised No Way Home didn't give them a bit more confidence.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1478156091494076417

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Is anybody HONESTLY excited for morbius?

The fact they were releasing this in January tells me they have 0 confidence in it, and the trailer looks like hot dogshit imo. Its a character nobody on earth gives a poo poo about and he doesn’t even have his cool seventies giant collar and disco jumpsuit. Wack.

Also, if they had released in around now, talk about a huge wet fart on the spiderman franchise right after the success of NWH. Dont get me wrong im willing to keep an open mind but idk how sony can still be on their bullshit after spiderverse and all 3 mcu spideys

ilikedirt fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 4, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With pandemic delays I don’t think the traditional release date stuff still applies. It was originally going to be a July release.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I can't imagine the studio is thrilled with it if they were going to put it out in January.

All of the weird stuff surrounding Jared Leto isn't helping this either

Not that Sony will learn their lesson from this, as they are developing a Kraven movie that will not be connected to Spider-Man

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What are the odds of WB going "gently caress it" again and put all of their titles on home box office maximumn Day 1 again if the pandemic situation doesn't improve as summer approaches?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

What are the odds of WB going "gently caress it" again and put all of their titles on home box office maximumn Day 1 again if the pandemic situation doesn't improve as summer approaches?

It burned a lot of bridges last time and they completely lost Nolan because of it so probably not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Morbius is that exciting of a release at all and I actually think the No Way Home success might work against it. Like you just had the Venom movie which was smaller but weird and got people buzzing and then No Way Home that just went wild with the wall breaking. I could see them being worried that Morbius is just too small a story and people might go into expecting a continuation of this Sony Spidey World in a bigger way.

I think its gonna be interesting to see what movie life is like after the Day 1 streaming releases. Because like even putting Covid aside, there were a number of movies like Mortal Kombat and Kong vs Godzilla that I probably never would have bothered seeing in the theaters that I did see because they were on HBO Max with a "see it before it goes" tag. And some cop movie I don't even remember that I absolutely never would have seen in theaters but only noticed it because of that thing. So I wonder how much impact someone like me or situations like that will have. Like I don't think its as simple as everyone who saw it on streaming will go the theaters to see it. But I have no idea if there's a real way for them to figure that out or if its worth messing with or losing some money or pissing off those old guys mad at the internet.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 4, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ilikedirt posted:

Is anybody HONESTLY excited for morbius?

The fact they were releasing this in January tells me they have 0 confidence in it, and the trailer looks like hot dogshit imo. Its a character nobody on earth gives a poo poo about and he doesn’t even have his cool seventies giant collar and disco jumpsuit. Wack.

Also, if they had released in around now, talk about a huge wet fart on the spiderman franchise right after the success of NWH. Dont get me wrong im willing to keep an open mind but idk how sony can still be on their bullshit after spiderverse and all 3 mcu spideys

I'm a little confused by your post because you're talking like Sony didn't make Spider-Verse when in fact they did.

Anyway I don't care a bit about Morbius except for all the bizarre details in the trailer like how Keaton's Vulture is there, and there's a poster of Maguire Spidey, and he references Venom. So bizarre.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

gently caress you it's not January!!

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
New Mutants had fewer delays than Morbius lmao. Maybe they are using this time for extensive reshoots but nothing they can do will change the fact that they picked a wack rear end character. If venom 2 is the best these fools can produce then Morbius is for sure a huge pile of poo poo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like Morbius as a character but you're never gonna get any scarier than the lamprey hands of the 90s animated series, and I just don't care for Jared Leto in the role.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ilikedirt posted:

New Mutants had fewer delays than Morbius lmao.

maybe fewer delays in terms of official release dates that came and went, but if Morbius actually makes the April 1 date, it'll still be less than two years after its original July 2020 date. New Mutants released 28 months after its original date

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 4, 2022

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Spider-Man: NWH. May getting fridged in No Way Home was hella bullshit. The three Spider-Men parts were cool, but the third act falls apart.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Shirts and toys are confirming that that it's not Shuma-Gorath in the Dr. Strange trailer, it's Gargantos. Apparently Shuma-Gorath's right are especially complicated with one group owning Conan stuff and another Kull stuff and Shuma being somewhere between all three, so they just repurposed an exceptionally minor Namor villain and forged ahead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kevin Feige, I have a great idea for you and Sony for something to adapt

https://twitter.com/kali_de_armas/status/1478766169301651463?s=21

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've always wanted to read those. And not just for the cake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd always heard about that but... drat.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

interesting to see how COVID changed some of the plans here

https://twitter.com/Lunwi88/status/1479669536567615491

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
are they making America a magic user then, she has a spellbook or something

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were earlier articles on this before they were revealing it was America. It's not covid related, they just changed their minds.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Probably more the fact that they changed the release order of the films. Doc Strange 2 has (apparently) had a lot of changes made because of the shuffle.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I mean, covid knocked Dr Strange 2 from before No Way Home to after, so America wouldn't have been introduced yet. They've already said they had to do some rewrites on Spidey since Strange now takes place after. Not a stretch to say it was covid related.

Unless they decided not to use her before Strange's release date changed.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I just want to know what's going on with those bumper cars.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So I’ve been getting confused about this; are the multiple timelines and the multiverse separate things? It’s kind of implied that the multiverse got created when Sylvie killed Immortus, but it seems like something Strange is fairly familiar with, plus all the Endgame stuff.
I guess it makes sense to treat it as two different things though, it’s not like some choice changing would turn Holland into Macguire or something

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Opopanax posted:

So I’ve been getting confused about this; are the multiple timelines and the multiverse separate things? It’s kind of implied that the multiverse got created when Sylvie killed Immortus, but it seems like something Strange is fairly familiar with, plus all the Endgame stuff.
I guess it makes sense to treat it as two different things though, it’s not like some choice changing would turn Holland into Macguire or something

I think the idea is that when the multiverse was created it backdated itself so it has always existed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

The way I understand it, it's all part of the same thing.

The multiverse wasn't created when Sylvie killed He Who Remains. HWR initially isolated the MCU from the other multiverses and managed a single timeline, pruning anything that strayed from the plan because those branches in time would lead to new multiverses, and potentially expose the MCU to the broader Multiverse/his other selves.

In Endgame, all the time travel stuff was written into the timeline and meant to happen as it did, so they never changed anything. Loki running off with the Tesseract was off-book though, which is what the Loki series is all about. Also in Endgame, The Ancient One talks to Bruce about taking the Time Stone and how it would create a new branch, so the wizards definitely know about the Multiverse/Timeline stuff to some degree, but might not have a full understanding of it all. Even Peter and Mysterio in Far From Home acknowledge a Multiverse theory, so some sort of knowledge must exist among a weird Reddit community or something in the MCU and not solely be the knowledge of wizards.

Basically, if He Who Remains' position wasn't vacated, No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness would seemingly not play out how they are, or maybe not be possible at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's honestly incredibly confusing because Marvel put out three different properties "introducing" the multiverse in about six months.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show called them timelines but they're clearly the same idea as the multiverse because we saw multiple different people as Loki, not just alternate Hiddlestons who made different choices.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i just assume that it's no different than how the comics work, ostensibly there are multiple timelines for every universe, but functionally an alternate timeline is this same thing as an alternate universe, it's just some universes are born "unique", e.g. the squadron supreme exists, not the avengers, and some are spawned off of other universes. it's like a categorical technique i guess

site fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 8, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

interesting to see how COVID changed some of the plans here

https://twitter.com/Lunwi88/status/1479669536567615491

I feel like that was ultimately a better choice. Introducing America would either take away attention from the Spider-Men (god knows the big problem with the MCU Spideys is other characters hijacking focus from Spider-Man himself) or you'd have to introduce some bullshit to keep America away from the fight (web her up with Strange in the building-shifting zone?). Even though it feels kinda contrived that Ned figures out magic so fast, it gives him and MJ more to do in the end.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

It's honestly incredibly confusing because Marvel put out three different properties "introducing" the multiverse in about six months.

The most confusing part of all of it is the stuff with No Way Home, but my assumption is just that it pulled from worlds that are similar to the ones we're familiar with from the previous franchises, but they're actually not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I feel like that was ultimately a better choice. Introducing America would either take away attention from the Spider-Men (god knows the big problem with the MCU Spideys is other characters hijacking focus from Spider-Man himself) or you'd have to introduce some bullshit to keep America away from the fight (web her up with Strange in the building-shifting zone?). Even though it feels kinda contrived that Ned figures out magic so fast, it gives him and MJ more to do in the end.

I guarantee movie America isn't as powerful as she original was in the comics. While a lot will obviously differ between the two mediums, and Marvel Studios basically uses the source material as a jumping off point, I do believe the general idea of recently depowering her was probably meant to bring her in line with the then-soon-to-be-released movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The way I interpreted Loki is that there’s always been alternate timelines and there used to be a full multiverse. The Kangs of the multiverse fought a war and the victor started “pruning” things to try and avoid any future challengers. Killing him takes the blockers off but poo poo was already happening.

A Tobey and Garfield and Venom all already existed. But now we’re more aware of it and there’s no one policing things.

And like the Ancient One was just concerned about her reality I guess. If they didn’t replace the gems then her stuff changes and that could end in disaster for the billions of people she protects. I guess. I dunno.

It’s like trying to make sense of time travel. It doesn’t make sense and you should just go with it as long as they don’t make too much of a nonsensical, contradictory mess. I don’t think that’s the case here because everything basically amounts to the accuracy of credibility of a handful of individuals with a tendency to be less than honest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just repeat to yourself “it’s just a mega-franchise comprising dozens of film and tv projects, I should really just relax”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's comics, it doesn't have to make sense

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I was watching one of those No Way Home breakdown/Easter egg videos on YouTube and I had to bust out laughing when they panned over the Filipino swords plaque and insinuating Ned's family could be part of an ancient magical warrior race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheReelTalkLive/status/1479844758449098753?s=20

just gonna leave this here too, because lol