Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

britishbornandbread posted:

I’ve just finished work and settling down to watch this week’s Dynamite. As someone in the UK and with not too much of an idea of US TV networks, can someone explain to me the significance of Dynamite being on TBS?

On top of what has been said TBS gives AEW a better lead in as The Big Bang Theory reruns draw more views than the movies TNT shows. While TBS is only slightly ahead of TNT in the overall ratings picture, a lot of TNT's viewership comes from sports. So AEW will get a little bit of a bump in the first quarter they weren't getting on TNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

If I remember rightly The Genius has a winning record against face Hogan in the WWF.

I think it was only 1 or 2 matches, but he won them. which is more than others can say.

Doesn't Arn have a couple of wins over face Hogan, too?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Bully and Devon both turned out lovely. Please tell me Spike doesn't suck now too.

He got way the hell out of the game, got married, and is now a financial advisor as far as I can tell. Good for him.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Thanlis posted:

He got way the hell out of the game, got married, and is now a financial advisor as far as I can tell. Good for him.
He has or had a wrestling school in Fall River, Mass, at least. Teddy Goodz and Little Mean Kathleen broke in there.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

britishbornandbread posted:

I’ve just finished work and settling down to watch this week’s Dynamite. As someone in the UK and with not too much of an idea of US TV networks, can someone explain to me the significance of Dynamite being on TBS?

In addition to all the stuff that was said before, this is the first wrestling show Turner programming has had since 2001.

For viewers nostalgic for the Monday night wars era, it's just kind of nice to see billionaire ted trying to stick it to Vince McMahon one more time.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How the hell do you give/take a T-Bone Suplex? Especially the one Hook did to QT last night. It looked like death.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't Arn have a couple of wins over face Hogan, too?
Arn Anderson does have two wins over Hogan from early Nitro:

February 12, 1996: Hogan was selling an injured eye from a previous brawl, the eyepatch came off and Arn worked the eye, then Woman threw powder into his eye, Flair interfered and distracted the ref allowing Arn to grab Miss Elizabeth's shoe to hit Hogan in the eye yet again.

February 19, 1996: Hogan's eye seems healed up, so he just destroys Arn until Kevin Sullivan comes out to interfere. Savage runs in to stop Sullivan but the referee only sees Savage, not Sullivan, disqualifying Hogan and handing Arn a second win.

Don't worry though, Hogan/Savage (and the Booty Man) beat Arn/Flair/Sullivan the next week in a trios match, then they beat that trio again in a lumberjack strap match two weeks later, then Hogan/Savage beat eight men in the DOOMSDAY CAGE MATCH at Uncensored 1996, then Hogan/Booty Man beat Arn/Sullivan on Nitro, culminating in April 1996 when Hogan beats Arn and Kevin Sullivan in a handicap match. Just in case you thought Arn was being put over.

As for the Genius, he does have a count-out win over Hogan from Saturday Night's Main Event in October 1989, but he's 1-1 in TV matches against Hogan because Hogan/Warrior beat Genius/Perfect at the next SMNE in January. If you include house shows, Lanny Poffo is 1-11 against Hogan.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CobiWann posted:

How the hell do you give/take a T-Bone Suplex? Especially the one Hook did to QT last night. It looked like death.

Tuck into a ball and hope for the best. It's not a science by any means and lord knows the two days I played around with it in MMA class with crash mats was the last time I've ever wanted to give or take a suplex of any sort. I don't know if pro-wrestling suplexes are really any much different besides the guy taking the suplex giving you a little help in the lift. My guess is that you want to release the suplex in such a way that the guy doesn't over-rotate so they can land more or less flat or on their shoulders if their head is tucked.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 8, 2022

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

That's a rough one since even Hogan's "clean" losses almost always involved lots of chicanery or just popping up at 3.1 and going "Whuh!?" Off the top of my head

Andre: Hogan kicked out at a 1 count, ref counted 3 anyway

The Genius: Countout due to Mr. Perfect beating Hogan up

Warrior: Kickout at 3.1, "Whuh!?"

Undertaker: Tombstone onto chair. Surprisingly Hogan sold the poo poo out of this one and had to be helped out by medics

Yokozuna: Fireball camera + legdrop

A borderline meaningless one, but still kind of interesting is Tugboat. Apparently, they were initially intending to do Hogan vs. Tugboat down the line and while they never got around to it, they did set it up. The two went at it at the 1991 Royal Rumble with Hogan eliminating Tugboat. Then on an episode of SNME done shortly after WrestleMania 7, there was a 20-man battle royal. Hogan and Tugboat beat the poo poo out of each other during it and Tugboat ultimately got the elimination over Hogan (only to get eliminated himself by Michaels seconds later). The two loudly argued at each other and had to be separated. There was no follow-up other than Tugboat going full heel as Typhoon shortly after.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Did WWE/WWF ever have any crossover with any Roller Derby?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I’ve seen miyako Matsumoto and shunma hyper misao take them to the head and while the visuals look great, when did bamboo skewers become a thing?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

davidbix posted:

He has or had a wrestling school in Fall River, Mass, at least. Teddy Goodz and Little Mean Kathleen broke in there.

Had, yeah — I think he finally stopped around 2015? Although I don’t live out there so I’m just sleuthing the Internet. He also settled a financial complaint about his advising recently. Hope he’s doing okay, I’m sentimental about APW alums.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How do the other countries handle WWE's overruns? Does the show sometimes just end suddenly?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

TV Zombie posted:

I’ve seen miyako Matsumoto and shunma hyper misao take them to the head and while the visuals look great, when did bamboo skewers become a thing?

Masada was doing them as a signature spot in late 2000's/early 2010's, so a good while now. I would assume someone in Japan did it first and he picked it up on a BJW tour.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've only seen a couple indie shows with PCO. I've heard he's really cool now, but what's his actual character? Insane old man? Escaped Frankenstein's monster? Sub-Zero?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has a War Games match ever ended before all the participants were in?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has a War Games match ever ended before all the participants were in?

I don’t think that even possible by the rules, is it?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nope, War Games can only end once all participants have entered.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought in WCW in the late 90s when they introduced the three-team concept that it could end before everyone was in. I may have been mistaken.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought in WCW in the late 90s when they introduced the three-team concept that it could end before everyone was in. I may have been mistaken.

They did and it was very stupid! I don't know if they ever did it with that specific set of rules again or not, but they definitely did it the once.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, thank you, I was sure they did it at least for the '98 one with Warrior.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why wasn't Jay White on Wrestle Kingdom?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why wasn't Jay White on Wrestle Kingdom?

iirc he's been in America for months

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

He lives in Florida. I was just listening to a podcast where it was mentioned he might not have made the trip because of green card issues, which sounds realistic to me

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He's from the Hibiscus Coast, which is a stone's throw away from NZ's answer to Florida, Northland. I guess he feels right at home.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
How do interim title reigns work in UFC? If AEW follows the same logic is Sammy Guevara a two time TNT champion now? If he beats Cody in the unification match is he a three time champ or still two? Or does the interim title exist in its own universe, separate to the actual TNT lineage?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Saul Goode posted:

How do interim title reigns work in UFC? If AEW follows the same logic is Sammy Guevara a two time TNT champion now? If he beats Cody in the unification match is he a three time champ or still two? Or does the interim title exist in its own universe, separate to the actual TNT lineage?

UFC has basically rendered their interim championships worthless and might as be relabeled "Number One Contender Belt"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saul Goode posted:

If AEW follows the same logic is Sammy Guevara a two time TNT champion now? If he beats Cody in the unification match is he a three time champ or still two? Or does the interim title exist in its own universe, separate to the actual TNT lineage?

I have no idea, but one would think Sammy would be considered a two time champ, and if he beats Cody in a unification match, then it would just be considered a continuation of his reign, so he'd still be a two time champ

But I really have no idea

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe the unification match would count as a successful defence by the winner

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I believe the unification match would count as a successful defence by the winner

That's what I'm thinking too.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is MLW's Matanza Cueto still Jeff Cobb, or is that a new guy?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is MLW's Matanza Cueto still Jeff Cobb, or is that a new guy?

It's Cobb.
https://lastwordonsports.com/prowrestling/2021/11/10/spoiler-former-lucha-underground-champion-makes-mlw-debut-at-war-chamber/

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man, their relationship to the old canon is weird. Like they don't own the copyright or trademarks, but they still list him as Matanza Cueto, not Duran, on the website. And King Muertes being Pascal, not Pasqual, Mendoza is so paper thin it's like zero protection in a lawsuit.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Man, their relationship to the old canon is weird. Like they don't own the copyright or trademarks, but they still list him as Matanza Cueto, not Duran, on the website. And King Muertes being Pascal, not Pasqual, Mendoza is so paper thin it's like zero protection in a lawsuit.

Council has advised them to "not be a pussy" and "just raw dog it"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Weirder still, Cobb unmasked when he came out for a match as Matanza in the last tapings and they acknowledged that he was Jeff Cobb. He then went back to Japan for Wrestle Kingdom so who knows if he'll be back anytime soon.

Samuray Del Sol is apparently back as Octagon Jr. in Mexico after not having the gimmick for years due to his WWE stint. Why is he allowed to be that gimmick now, but it caused all kinds of drama when Flamita did it?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

What's the deal with dudes getting gassed in the ring after like two minutes?

I'm assuming it's primarily due to roids versus just age, injuries or being out of shape. I guess sometimes it's a combo? Thinking about guys like Warrior, Steiner, Goldberg, etc. I know Batista claimed he had asthma and hid inhalers around the ring but who knows. Meanwhile, Brock turns beet red and sweats like a madman.

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on health/fitness as someone that lifts, runs and cycles on a semi-regular basis. Conventional wisdom says that roiding on its own won't give you a great physique. You have to do some form of cardio and conditioning to stay lean. I know that wrestling is physically taxing but you'd think that if your livelihood revolved around bodybuilding you could at least do, like, the equivalent of a 10-minute HIIT without dying.

And then you have guys like Kevin Owens and Samoa Joe that can have 30+ minute matches. Sting can still go at 62, too. That said, I understand the phenomenon of people who look "out of shape" being able to run marathons. I also feel like it's less common in women's matches to see someone get gassed (but maybe I don't watch enough women's wrestling).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A lot of the "bodybuilder" types simply don't focus on cardio. With all the travel, if they can get a workout in, they're going to stick to workouts that target their looks, because in the case of WWE, that's all that matters to Vince.

Years ago (and I'm talking 20+) I remember an interview some WWF guys did about their workouts, and I think it was meant to be a joke for them to include Naked Mideon in it. But he talked about how his workout regime almost entirely consisted of cardio workouts. The thing that stuck with me all these years was he talked about how his gym buddy was Brian Christopher, and how Grand Master Sexay would always tease him for not hitting the weights like him and getting ripped like him. I remember Mideon's response being something like "And that's why [Christopher] is always injured" because those types of bodies aren't meant to take the abuse wrestlers take in the ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Destroy My Sweater posted:

What's the deal with dudes getting gassed in the ring after like two minutes?

I'm assuming it's primarily due to roids versus just age, injuries or being out of shape. I guess sometimes it's a combo? Thinking about guys like Warrior, Steiner, Goldberg, etc. I know Batista claimed he had asthma and hid inhalers around the ring but who knows. Meanwhile, Brock turns beet red and sweats like a madman.

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on health/fitness as someone that lifts, runs and cycles on a semi-regular basis. Conventional wisdom says that roiding on its own won't give you a great physique. You have to do some form of cardio and conditioning to stay lean. I know that wrestling is physically taxing but you'd think that if your livelihood revolved around bodybuilding you could at least do, like, the equivalent of a 10-minute HIIT without dying.

And then you have guys like Kevin Owens and Samoa Joe that can have 30+ minute matches. Sting can still go at 62, too. That said, I understand the phenomenon of people who look "out of shape" being able to run marathons. I also feel like it's less common in women's matches to see someone get gassed (but maybe I don't watch enough women's wrestling).

Big dudes get gassed faster and muscle causes you to gas faster, but wrestling is also very cardio intensive and hard to train for. CM Punk gassed in Joe vs Punk 2 and 3, and other shorter matches. Lots of dudes gas and find that cardio just isn't the same as wrestling in a match. Just like it's hard for fighters to really train for 5 rounds before actually going five rounds. (Shane Carwin was reportedly an endurance machine in the gym and then gassed out famously as he torched Brock and his body shut down.)

But at the end of the day being a big person and having lots of muscles will limit your cardio, especially in something like wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Destroy My Sweater posted:

. I know that wrestling is physically taxing but you'd think that if your livelihood revolved around bodybuilding you could at least do, like, the equivalent of a 10-minute HIIT without dying.

You're underestimating a lot of stuff, in combat sports or pro-wrestling your opponent isn't a perfectly balanced weight and moving optimally. Imagine doing HIIT weight training with a 200 pound, 6 foot cylinder of water, you'd probably die in a few minutes trying to go at a speed that would make pro-wrestling interesting. I've seen newer marathon athletes absolutely die in five minutes of BJJ and my fat rear end can roll at a decent clip for about thirty minutes.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 12, 2022