Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've never watched Succession but from what I've gathered the absence of meaningful consequences is part of the point. Which sounds really shallow when I put it like that, but I think it's supposed to be more like "these people are destroying the world and all it's done for them is make them profoundly empty, venal, awful people who are constantly engaged in stupid Machiavellian power games trying to get one over on each other."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
EDIT: ^^^^^^^ Oh totally, and I understand that. It's just....a show about that is not something I feel like devoting 30+ hours of my life to watching.

It's similar to the reason I didn't watch Black Friday beyond the first episode. Even though our protagonists are portrayed as the underdogs, they're still basically Wall Street bros trying to be bigger, shittier, more successful Wall Street Bros. I don't need that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Arist posted:

I've never watched Succession but from what I've gathered the absence of meaningful consequences is part of the point. Which sounds really shallow when I put it like that, but I think it's supposed to be more like "these people are destroying the world and all it's done for them is make them profoundly empty, venal, awful people who are constantly engaged in stupid Machiavellian power games trying to get one over on each other."

I just can't fathom why anyone would want to spend hours and hours of their time watching that play out. "Hey watch these people be monsters and receive no consequences, just like the real-life people they're based on who are ruining the world and are constantly in the news!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

This is so wildly reductive I don’t even know where to begin.

Is it wrong though, Arist laid out what I think would be the charitable version of the same thing, and they both sound equally unsatisfying. Succession just seems like watching the news if you focused on some rich dweebs and idk, don't find it satisfying to just see the same thing but with charismatic actors and slightly fictionier situations. I want to see rich people decapitated by a guillotine managed by a mob of angry poors looking to radically redistribute wealth starting by eliminating those who would hoard too much by choice. Something to inspire people into action, not just throw your hands up while you stare directly into the void helplessly. Succession sounds identical to White Lotus, horrible people having pretty much nothing happen to them who go on to enjoy being happier and wealthier than any average person even after whatever supposedly "bad" thing happened to them to make us think their lives are shallow and empty failures or some poo poo. It's paper-thin way to try imply there's some cosmic balance "oh they may be rich but oh-ho actually they didn't quite everything they ever wanted and in fact, may be somewhat sad sometimes."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a fictional show lmao. Good lord.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why would they be punished? That's not how the world works.

But again, I've never watched it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's kind of crazy that Disney put out five MCU shows featuring big screen cast members in one year last year. And they were all pretty good.

Who's the A listiest of the bunch, Elisabeth Olson or maybe Renner? (E: not What If, What If got everybody, what if got Brolin)

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 8, 2022

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like seeing monsters on TV because of the acting and writing. These aren't documentaries they are funny and comedic shows. What happens when you see a David Fincher movie like Zodiac? Curl up into a ball with a bag of cheetos and cry for humanity?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

But again, I've never watched it.

I guess some people are so sensitive to the current political climate that they can’t handle shows that deal with it in a not-overthrowing it way? It’s pretty baffling and childish to me, but there could be valid reasons I’m unaware of, like if they are or know someone who is directly suffering badly because of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the same poo poo as Dan Quayle clutching pearls about Murphy Brown, just from the left this time. It is not the job of art to teach ethics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. God I hate this loving trend. The left are really trying to eat themselves as fast as possible these days, death by a thousand absurd outrages, and it’s really depressing. Not that that’s anything to do with Succession or peoples posts really.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess some people are so sensitive to the current political climate that they can’t handle shows that deal with it in a not-overthrowing it way? It’s pretty baffling and childish to me, but there could be valid reasons I’m unaware of, like if they are or know someone who is directly suffering badly because of it.

Something something depiction something something endorsement

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there any outrage about things like that besides on Twitter? It might be cliche to say that Twitter isn't the real world, but it's not the real world. It might be all over the place on your twitter feed, but I doubt any big names in "the left" give a poo poo about someone being lovely on TV. The difference is that pearl clutchers in the 90s were going on TV and on mainstream news to complain about lesbians being on a TV show or whatever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No one gives a poo poo about TV shows except in echo chambers. All the "leftists" I follow are more about unions and Jan 6 and so forth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Is there any outrage about things like that besides on Twitter? It might be cliche to say that Twitter isn't the real world, but it's not the real world. It might be all over the place on your twitter feed, but I doubt any big names in "the left" give a poo poo about someone being lovely on TV. The difference is that pearl clutchers in the 90s were going on TV and on mainstream news to complain about lesbians being on a TV show or whatever.

Yeah I just started going off on a general rant that became not about TV (but my post literally says that so idk what happened here)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arist posted:

It's fiction they can make them turn into axolotls if they want.

Escobarbarian posted:

If you're alive and not in the upper class then you are in a lowers caste and directly suffer from it. There also aren't any shows handling anything in an "overthrowy" way, it's all the same bleak navel-fingering until they get real deep and unlock some stank and then everyone's sniffing it like "wow this does stink exactly as you always knew all along!" Really would actually love to see something overthrowy just for the novelty and fantasy of it as this point. Are there shows that deal with it in that way?

Mu Zeta posted:

I like seeing monsters on TV because of the acting and writing. These aren't documentaries they are funny and comedic shows. What happens when you see a David Fincher movie like Zodiac? Curl up into a ball with a bag of cheetos and cry for humanity?

I like monsters too and monsters are more powerful when they always win and can't die I guess but is there a rule or something that it can never be funny if like jesus was stoning and crucifying people instead instead of just exactly what you expect forever all along happening? Just seems hard to get excited a Passion of the Christ if it's same old poo poo you saw in Acts and feels reasonable to be skeptical when people are fawning over Ascension when all indicators seems like it's the same old dog doing the same old trick with new faces.

Can't throw us one bone, one billionaire called Elam Bust ran over by driverless car in a throwaway background joke, no?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 8, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
…..are you ok? What are you talking about?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Escobarbarian posted:

…..are you ok? What are you talking about?
here, let me try to educate you drooling fuckshit, etc

In the meantime idk, watch Leverage or something?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Khanstant posted:

It's fiction they can make them turn into axolotls if they want.

My point is that Succession seems to be a show categorically uninterested in coddling its audience by lying to them about how society rewards that type of people. And it's fine to not want to watch that, but I think there's still value in it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was following this until “Jesus crucifying people” and now I’m utterly lost.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

It's a real prestige situation. One Jesus ends up on the cross and the other comes outta the cave

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a real prestige situation. One Jesus ends up on the cross and the other comes outta the cave

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

here, let me try to educate you drooling fuckshit, etc

In the meantime idk, watch Leverage or something?

I don’t understand this post either!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the tangent of weird pseudo-leftist internet TV takes, one of my favorites that I saw last year was someone arguing that Y: The Last Man was misogynist because in reality women would continue society without disruption if every male animal actually died at once.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Every Jesus movie ends with him getting his rear end kicked and running home like a bitch and yeah there's value in that and it's the point or whatever, but if everyone was acting like this new jesus joint was hot poo poo, something fresh, but actually it's just the same old raggedy shroud routine then you get to say that show sucks without watching it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's similar to the reason I didn't watch Black Friday beyond the first episode. Even though our protagonists are portrayed as the underdogs, they're still basically Wall Street bros trying to be bigger, shittier, more successful Wall Street Bros. I don't need that

FWIW, Black Monday is way closer to Search Party in tone and content than it is Succession.

zoux posted:

It's kind of crazy that Disney put out five MCU shows featuring big screen cast members in one year last year. And they were all pretty good.

To be honest, I feel like they basically just produced four movies and cut them up into chunks, (plus the animated series). That's pretty typical of what Marvel does most non-pandemic years. Yeah, they've literally doubled their content now, which is impressive, but I feel like their shows are kinda made like burgers, so it's only impressive in the Fordian sense.

Chairman Capone posted:

On the tangent of weird pseudo-leftist internet TV takes, one of my favorites that I saw last year was someone arguing that Y: The Last Man was misogynist because in reality women would continue society without disruption if every male animal actually died at once.

Yeah I saw a lot of this poo poo -- Y got a lot of very weird takes. The show in general had some pretty odd takes too; I'm not sure the Republican subplot made an inch of sense.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was extra beautiful since the argument went on to say that women were just inherently more kind and less violent than men and this sexist show just wasn't showing that :).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dunno if people dropped off the show, but the most recent episode of Yellowjackets was really effective.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dunno if people dropped off the show, but the most recent episode of Yellowjackets was really effective.

I’m still watching. It’s great.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chairman Capone posted:

I will fully admit that when I read the first couple volumes about 14 years ago I stopped reading because the writing felt straight-up misogynist. The idea that when one gender dies, the other gender goes loving bonkers and civilization completely breaks down seemed stupid and having it be portrayed against women was offensive... and I'm a cis white guy.

Over the years I began understanding that, yes, our society can actually be that stupid and, yes, women can be just as loving imbecilic as men so... if anything, the comic is feminist by concluding proper equality for women: they can be as stupid as men. Anything I can do, you can do equally well.

Note: This is a comical take based on 14 year old memories of only an early part of the comic. I never went back to read the rest.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I remember a lot of television reviews for Y The Last Man throwing in these really quick, basically glancing, critiques of the comic, suggesting it was misogynistic, homophobic, racist, antisemetic, transphobic... I dunno. I reread the series recently, and while there's certainly an over-abundance of narrowbanded privilege, I don't think most of that criticism holds up to scrutiny.

That said, those takes were all minimal at best, and seemed like they were repeating second hand information at worst. Has anyone found anything particularly persuasive about the comic series that they could share?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s written by Brian K. Vaughan, who is great. And the comic is also great. The show, though…..oof.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Same thing happened with the proposed all female Lord of The Flies remake (that seems to have fallen into development hell) where all of a sudden tons of people were arguing on Twitter about how it would never work because preteen girls would just hug and calmly wait for rescue.

On the plus side, that discourse ended up becoming the inspiration for Yellowjackets.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still watching. It’s great.

agree. crazy fun to watch. will be bummed that it’s gone after next weeks finale.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The reunion should be fun and reveal a lot of who survived and who didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Book of Boba Fett isn't very good so far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I really want to like it but at least the origin stuff is so drat tropey. I'm good with him being an anti-hero but man they're just painting by numbers so far

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I remember a lot of television reviews for Y The Last Man throwing in these really quick, basically glancing, critiques of the comic, suggesting it was misogynistic, homophobic, racist, antisemetic, transphobic... I dunno. I reread the series recently, and while there's certainly an over-abundance of narrowbanded privilege, I don't think most of that criticism holds up to scrutiny.

That said, those takes were all minimal at best, and seemed like they were repeating second hand information at worst. Has anyone found anything particularly persuasive about the comic series that they could share?

I think a lot of these takes were just the tendency of a certain type of commenter to be upset that something written in 2002 isn't in line with the 2021 discourse, combined with the fact that few of them seemed to have actually read the comic like you said. The trans issue is one of them, people acted like the comic was some rabid TERF tract when it reality the comic does specifically mention it, which is rare for stuff from the early 2000s, but because it isn't a central theme means it's dismissive of trans issues from the point of view of those 2021 reviewers.

The anti-Semitic claims are just because Vaughan dared to show that maybe the IDF isn't a great institution which I think is also telling why that whole plot was dropped from the show.

Rhyno posted:

I really like the Tusken flashback bits but I really can't care about the modern storyline about him becoming New Jabba. It's just not a compelling plot at all, even if it does give us droid Matt Berry and the guy from Veep as a Twi'lek. Ming-Na Wen's character is still just a 100% empty shell, too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

I thought the first episode was a little flat, but really dug the second. The show isnt quite clicking because they're making present day Boba's true motivations a mystery box, so there isn't much for us to connect with in that plot. Also, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, they could really stand to take a lesson from Arrow and have the flashbacks more closely inform what's going on in the present day (also, I totally wouldn't mind hear Boba say someone has failed this desert). At the moment you've got these two stories running on parallel tracks and there doesn't seem to be anything linking the, together. Which again goes back to the mystery nature of the present day story. I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like I'd like Bobba's Book more if the entire thing was just chronological. Doing a big time jump mid-season is way cooler than multiple simultaneous chronologies, and that's before the show decided to make one its subplots supremely undernourished.

Also I wish they'd give Ming Na something better to do. I feel like she's just here because she's got stunt training and experience.

howe_sam posted:

Also, and I can't believe I'm going to say this, they could really stand to take a lesson from Arrow and have the flashbacks more closely inform what's going on in the present day

I mean, that's just L O S T. Or pretty much anything else that used isolated flashback episodes prior to the whole multiple ongoing subplots depicting multiple chronologies thing being so easy to do now, what with the normalisation of serialisation.

But otherwise, yeah, I agree with what you're saying.