Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JollyBoyJohn posted:

unpopular opinion, i dont give a poo poo about the aesthetic design of my character in a videogame, character creations are a trap for people who think their choices matter in games and the fact that so many mmo/ff14 players are more obsessed with what their character looks like than how the game plays tells you all you need to know

yet you play mobas how curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you think having fun designing a character is related to some vague notion of "choices mattering" you just extremely don't get it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

unpopular opinion, i dont give a poo poo about the aesthetic design of my character in a videogame, character creations are a trap for people who think their choices matter in games and the fact that so many mmo/ff14 players are more obsessed with what their character looks like than how the game plays tells you all you need to know

This is what my ff14 character looked like at one point. I obviously dont care except for making it stupid and silly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Customizing your characters is fun, OP.

https://i.imgur.com/sn5lTx3.mp4

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
not going to lie, the thought of having solid snake and 2b in my xcom team is pretty cool

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

site posted:

if you think having fun designing a character is related to some vague notion of "choices mattering" you just extremely don't get it

Yeah that gravitates to that insane side of thinking that doesn't care about anything but mechanics.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
god this thread sucks now

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Hector Delgado posted:

too many popular opinions?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Grape posted:

Yeah that gravitates to that insane side of thinking that doesn't care about anything but mechanics.

Why wear a silly hat if it doesn't grant +2 to Charisma???? :reject:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Well that was quite the boss battle and... no I think I made the chin slightly too pointy. *restarts entire game to go through character creation again and fix their chin*

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fought some bots they decided to push mid and finished the game while I was split pushing. LOL! "Hard" Dota bots while not terrible didn't really feel like a challenge. Shadow Fiend was nice enough to give me mid as Juggernaut which would not have gone uncommented in a normal game. Can I just play ranked with a team of bots? I imagine that'd be a much more enjoyable experience

This has been your Dota 2 return of Duck and Cover update.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
bots aren't real, just pick "turbo mode" aka easymode and click guys in pvp

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the point in an mmo is that your character is the thing you use to interact w/ other players in the world
if you don't care about social interactions or interpersonal relations beyond typing "healer plx use LB" in partychat, an mmo is just a straight downgrade from a single player rpg with actual good combat mechanics

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Customizing your characters is fun, OP.

https://i.imgur.com/sn5lTx3.mp4
*sighs* Now I have to buy another avatar what a bother. You know I'm a busy person? It's fine I think I've found the image I want to use. Never have I looked at so many snake people, it's tough work but it beats playing Dota.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 8, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is good that FF14 has options for furries.
I think it is strange that people think being a furry is a way to attract non-furries.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

*sighs* Now I have to buy another avatar what a bother. You know I'm a busy person? It's fine I think I've found the image I want to use. Never have I looked at so many snake people, it's tough work but it beats playing Dota.

Can you at least give me some frickin time, OP!!??? Can I just have a frickin borgar for a bit.... OP!!??

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

site posted:

If I give my character grotesquely tiny legs and massive arms then I want NPCs in game to occasionally shout "did you forget leg day"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Can you at least give me some frickin time, OP!!??? Can I just have a frickin borgar for a bit.... OP!!??

Ridiculous you need a lamia of some sort it's suppose to be a universal constant but somebody keeps trying to gently caress with the world. Howver, I'm lazy which works in your favor.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
holy poo poo, Crysis from 2007 on my PC still looks fantastic today, but why the hell am i getting killed so often? it looks like the enemy AI can see right though the shrubs and trees. i don't want to change the difficulty so does anyone have any tips for playing this gorgeous but frustratingly difficult game?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

holy poo poo, Crysis from 2007 on my PC still looks fantastic today, but why the hell am i getting killed so often? it looks like the enemy AI can see right though the shrubs and trees. i don't want to change the difficulty so does anyone have any tips for playing this gorgeous but frustratingly difficult game?

be cloaked all the time

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hector Delgado posted:

no it doesn't

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Character customization can be good or not in different ways in different types of games. In soulslike’s I absolutely love picking my armor based more on aesthetics than on numbers, and spend unhealthy amounts of time creating awesome custom outfit combinations to play in. Meanwhile I give the bare minimum of effort forward the face sliders. Take Nioh 2. I love making crazy samurai armor to wear and it all makes sense in game, but I leave my face as default “generic handsome Japanese dude” because that’s how the characters and world treat you.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
You guys wanna see a video of a skunk biting a possums butt on my porch?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

You guys wanna see a video of a skunk biting a possums butt on my porch?

Meme Poker Party is in desperate need of a new avatar maybe we can add a snake.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

Meme Poker Party is in desperate need of a new avatar maybe we can add a snake.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I miss the samurai doge. It was legit great avatar.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

adhuin posted:

I miss the samurai doge. It was legit great avatar.

Truly the AV twice that burned twice as bright. Such a powerful impression in so short a time.

No one's ever really gone. He's up there now, with Lizard Tits and Strong Snake, watching over the Burger King from above...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Meme Poker Party posted:

Truly the AV twice that burned twice as bright. Such a powerful impression in so short a time.

No one's ever really gone. He's up there now, with Lizard Tits and Strong Snake, watching over the Burger King from above...

what's weird is it's not even part of your avatar history

did it get hosed with by a mod?

also lol at

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the way mods do those extra-tall avs is by giving you a 0px image in the actual avatar slot and then a custom title with the "avatar" as an embedded image
so it wont show up on avatar history

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the way mods do those extra-tall avs is by giving you a 0px image in the actual avatar slot and then a custom title with the "avatar" as an embedded image
so it wont show up on avatar history

ty for this - I did not know that

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

"Hi are you accepting commissions? Please draw me a buff shiba inu samurai making out with a large breasted snake lady."

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
But anyway every game should let you transmog your armor pieces for free like the Nioh games do.
In fact games should be more like Nioh generally.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

In fact games should be more like Nioh generally.

Agreed OP I mean look at these bosses.

https://i.imgur.com/adp9aju.mp4

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Things in Nioh:

Vampire girl ✅
Cool katana moves ✅
Spider girl ✅
Cool magic moves ✅
Ice girl ✅
Cool ninja moves ✅

Hell yeah

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Customisation in games is fun sometimes. Other times I hit random and roll with whatever I got. Also don't LoL and DOTA make a gently caress tonne of their money from selling dumbass skins? The only reason they're profitable is because of MOBA players wanting to customise their characters lol

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

syntaxfunction posted:

Also don't LoL and DOTA make a gently caress tonne of their money from selling dumbass skins? The only reason they're profitable is because of MOBA players wanting to customise their characters lol

Griefing. A lot of the cosmetics sold are designed explicitly to annoy players with big loud animation overlays that cover the screen, or spam the chat channel, play unmutable jingles, etc. People get angry on the internet and you can tap that for profit. See also: SA avatars.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
youre thinking of heroes of newerth

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Griefing is fair and a valid way to play MOBAs.

Heroes of Newerth, LoL, DOTA, it's all the same.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

syntaxfunction posted:

Griefing is fair and a valid way to play MOBAs.

Playing MOBAs is griefing of the self.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I remember seeing my friends dad playing Ultima Online and him being like "oh yeah these are other people at the computer too" and I straight up didn't get it at first. Like it had to be slowly explained to my 8 year old brain. Once I got it I just... I couldn't fuckin believe it.

Now though theyre jsut another piece of poo poo dead genre lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Deep Rock Galactic is fun but it might have the worst voice acting ever. Just shrieking nonsense, four different characters with the same voice actor pitched up and down. Unbearably obnoxious, almost impressively awful. I'd rather a game with just terrible boring stilted acting instead of this shrieking monster harpy that they cast for this game.