Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

gyro aiming is the pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I hate gyro aiming, it's never felt good in any game I've tried it in, but it should absolutely be an option in games for people who enjoy it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

grieving for Gandalf posted:

gyro aiming is the pits.

Yeah
Perfect
Instead of
Traditional
Sticks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
you used gyro to spray paint on surfaces and post fan art in gdq threads
i used sticks to get diamond as pharah w aim assist off

we are not the same.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

you used gyro to spray paint on surfaces and post fan art in gdq threads

we are not the same.

lol

when you were shooting paint with gyro, I studied the sticks. when you were having kids run you over with a big mop, I mastered the aim sensitivity option.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, I'm going to ask the world's dumbest question. My Switch got lost, and I need to buy a replacement. Are there sites I should be watching (apart from Nintendo, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, and Amazon) to find a Switch OLED at list price?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's fine to like the control scheme you've gotten accustomed to over the last twenty years but you're still a boomer

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, I'm going to ask the world's dumbest question. My Switch got lost, and I need to buy a replacement. Are there sites I should be watching (apart from Nintendo, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, and Amazon) to find a Switch OLED at list price?

that's not a dumb question at all!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Best bet is to check local stores first, online stores have become pretty unreliable

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Precision shooting game splatoon

I mean, if you're good at it

You know there are modes other than turf war and weapons other than rollers, right?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Dual Analogue controls are a lot like using the auto steering in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for your Nintendo Switch - it's a good choice if you're a small child with poor motor controls, but a real gamer will probably want to move on to controlling the game more directly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Looper posted:

it's fine to like the control scheme you've gotten accustomed to over the last twenty years but you're still a boomer

this is the same thing elon musk says to try and justify a square steering wheel.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Idk how you can shoot an arrow in BOTW and not immediately see how gyro aiming is the future.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
i simply move the cross hair onto the enemy perfectly witht he stick with no need for adjustments op. and frankly i used gyro before anynone here thanks to the plystations vita

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

For me aiming peaked at the Wii, even if it wasn't a 1:1 transfer pointing a stick at the TV felt natural.

Gyro is still good though, anything that frees you from using the right stick so you can stay on face buttons is good by default.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
All the while your right thumb is occupied, leaving yourself open to attack. Meanwhile, my thumb is resting on the face buttons, alert and ready for any action that may need taken.

^^this guy gets it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

idk how you could jump from handhold to handhold in Uncharted: Golden Abyss using the rear touchpad and not know you're looking at the future of gaming

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

u mean the character that uses rockets which deal splash damage and require less precision? curious

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Shovel Knight is the better of the two, but it's a platformer. It's quality product.

Dead Cells is good, but it doesn't have as much lasting power in my opinion since the difficulty gets to be too much.

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm a big fan of Shovel Knight. They are very different games though. Dead Cells is a roguelight focused on combat whereas Shovel Knight is a linear oldschool platformer. Both have dozens of hours of content though!

b_d posted:

shovel knight is more fun. enjoy

Nice, fun is what I want!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stux posted:

this is the same thing elon musk says to try and justify a square steering wheel.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
morpheus telling neo he wont need to use his thumb on the face buttosn. later neo destroying all the agents by using back buttosn and arching his index finger onto the face buttons as needed

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Augus posted:

u mean the character that uses rockets which deal splash damage and require less precision? curious

a direct hit does 120 damage

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

grieving for Gandalf posted:

a direct hit does 120 damage
Wow, less efficient than accurately aimed bullets. Hmm.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Augus posted:

astounding lack of game knowledge, probably bronze, low silver at most. begone.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

American McGay posted:

Idk how you can shoot an arrow in BOTW and not immediately see how gyro aiming is the future.

i tried for an hour and loving hated it then did the remaining 50 hours with sticks. easier on my wrists

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like mario

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

this is key

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I turn gyro of because I'm old as gently caress and forget it's on some games. It's me. I suck.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Notably broken release Battlefield 2042 just came out without working Auto-Aim for console players but with working crossplay, so you could just farm the hell out of a thousand people who have assumed for years that they're good at shooters when you're playing on PC with a mouse.

Anyhow, gyro controls are actually great.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
i can beat mouse players with a controller even if im more powerful still with a mouse. as i said before, we are of different breeds. i am an animal. pprimal gaming energy. you are all npcs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
We're all very proud of you honey.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Gyro feels very fun and I've always enjoyed it whether on vita, switch, or android mobile devices where I used to play some call of duty rip off

Just feels different/more involved! 90% of aiming is done with the sticks and then you fine-tune with gyro really quickly

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Still hard to believe that they haven't fixed gyro aiming in monster Hunter rise, tried it recently and it was still completely hosed. Is Capcom even aware of the problem? lmao

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

KingSlime posted:

Still hard to believe that they haven't fixed gyro aiming in monster Hunter rise, tried it recently and it was still completely hosed. Is Capcom even aware of the problem? lmao

You might need to adjust the settings. It's been fine for me since launch but I know it's possible to turn weird stuff on like having the gyro control the camera 100% of the time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

American McGay posted:

We're all very proud of you honey.

than kyou

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

You might need to adjust the settings. It's been fine for me since launch but I know it's possible to turn weird stuff on like having the gyro control the camera 100% of the time.

I poked with it for a bit so maybe I just missed the setting. But yeah I can't get it to not work like WarioWare twisted. Instead of just aiming, the gyro seems to be stuck on some sort of 2D plane and I have to tilt the console left or right..it's weird stuff. Worth noting that this is in handheld specifically

I'll try playing with it some more

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Switching to gyro in Splatoon 2 was a game changer

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gyro is delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Red faction guerrilla is $3, worth it?