Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

New Snap is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New Pokémon Snap is another game where I never heard anything good about it when it came out other than it was kinda bare-bones? And then at the end of the year everyone started raving about it. wtf

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Quoted again! THE AUDACITY!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

New Pokémon Snap is another game where I never heard anything good about it when it came out other than it was kinda bare-bones? And then at the end of the year everyone started raving about it. wtf

Idiots said it was bare bones when it came out yeah.

But they're idiots

I've raved about it in the Switch thread since launch!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

then you weren't listening it was never bare-bones and was always good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

New Snap almost has TOO much content, I was like "I have enjoyed my dozens of hours with the game and I'm sure some people are going to complete these piles of special requests but I'm good"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

then you weren't listening it was never bare-bones and was always good

Yeah, the original snap is one that's bare bones and the new one fixes all of it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/MelonyPepon/status/1478957814638944258

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just between you and me, my darlings, I do find this to be such a struggle. It is never fun to be the bearer of bad news. But unfortunately that is the role that has been preordained for me and I must play my part, breaking heart after heart as each new game is revealed. Which game’s fans are set to be next for disappointment? Is it going to be Deathloop? Or will it be Resident Evil Village? There are still so many great games left but only one will be your #17…

Skjorte posted:

A pretty compact experience.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

A really entertaining and focused experience.

VideoGames posted:

A wonderful little gem.

lordfrikk posted:

This game has basically no fat.

Regy Rusty posted:

The twists and turns were excellent.

Fentry posted:

In a year with a lot of time loop games this was my favorite.

exquisite tea posted:

A time traveling classic.

ErrEff posted:

A compelling time-travel story in a unique setting.

nachos posted:

I love me some time loops and this one knocks it out.

Mode 7 posted:

What's a sin? How far can you bend that definition?

Nerdietalk posted:

It’s having a conversation about the existence of itself with the player and asking its audience to apply that to the rest of the culture.

Escobarbarian posted:

If you really want to touch an Ancient Roman rear end-wiping stick, this is the game for you.

17. THE FORGOTTEN CITY
(Modern Storyteller)
101 points, listed 18 times, #1 3 times

Oh who doesn’t want to touch an Ancient Roman rear end-wiping stick!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

Those people are insane the game is full to bursting with content. It makes the original game feel like a drat tech demo and not because of the jump in graphics.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Look at this poo poo and tell me it's not one of the best games of all time

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1391577731066859522

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Forgotten City rules and I'm sorry for not playing it until after I made my list.

Galerius is best boy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks VG and Esco for getting me to play Forgotten City just under the wire!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

midgar runs on Eastern Pain Time and it is always Tifa o' Clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooASC0qd0hg

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
A friend of mine talked me out of the new Pokemon Snap and now I feel stupid. I loved the first one, will definitely pick it up ASAP.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Entenzahn posted:

A friend of mine talked me out of the new Pokemon Snap and now I feel stupid. I loved the first one, will definitely pick it up ASAP.

:sever:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I tried Forgotten City on the recommendations of a lot of goons in this thread and it was indeed an incredible little treat. Probably would've made my list if I'd gotten to it before the new year. You can tell it started life as a Skyrim mod in places (mainly in the character animation) but the game still manages to be rather gorgeous and enthralling. I managed to get the best ending on my first go around somehow but I enjoyed myself enough that I'm thinking about doing more playthroughs to see some other little branches and do other endings and stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Entenzahn posted:

This "friend" of yours...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

Automatically better than most games.

MikeRabsitch posted:

This is such an amazing package.

Aidan_702 posted:

Some truly stunning level design.

DalaranJ posted:

Absolutely amazing levels.

DMCrimson posted:

There’s plenty of unique love across these levels.

Seedge posted:

A highly replayable and enjoyable world to be in.

hatty posted:

They could make these forever and I’ll keep buying them.

Cruiserweight posted:

The world is getting more dangerous, so the old guard either adapts, or dies.

Adam Bowan posted:

A narrative that takes itself way too seriously while simultaneously letting you do the most ridiculously stupid poo poo I've ever seen.

Arist posted:

I killed a guy on the world’s tallest building by activating the emergency escape protocol and making him jump off the edge with a sabotaged parachute.

Enrico la Spaniard posted:

One could make a killing with all the fun to be had in this virtual playground.

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope 47 visits the UK someday and personally murders me.

16. HITMAN III
(IO)
113 points, listed 21 points, #1 3 times

Oh no, that Epic exclusivity has turned out to be an epic mistake as Hitman III fails to even crack the top 10! Steam supremacy reigns!

VG: Sounds like Agent 47 terminated a gaming platform.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I tried Forgotten City on the recommendations of a lot of goons in this thread and it was indeed an incredible little treat. Probably would've made my list if I'd gotten to it before the new year. You can tell it started life as a Skyrim mod in places (mainly in the character animation) but the game still manages to be rather gorgeous and enthralling. I managed to get the best ending on my first go around somehow but I enjoyed myself enough that I'm thinking about doing more playthroughs to see some other little branches and do other endings and stuff.

There is one other main ending that has some unique stuff in it very worth seeing imo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

loving Epic :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm so angry at Hitman 3 not being on Steam yet that NOTHING can cheer me up, NOTHI-

I'm good! :kimchi:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

An appropriate placement as Hitman also barely failed to crack my top 10

jesus

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Well once Hitman 3 comes to Steam I guess I'm buying it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are people so loving weird about using other storefronts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope 47 visits the UK someday and personally murders me.

Incredible username/post combo :allears:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm here!! Just in time for the top fifteen!! Psyched to see Fire Emblem: Gilmore Girls take the top spot!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

In Hitman's case specifically I believe you couldn't carry over everything from Steam to Epic so people were screwed over

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Quoted 5 times hell yeah my lovely opinions live on

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Because I'm extraordinarily lazy :colbert:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

In Hitman's case specifically I believe you couldn't carry over everything from Steam to Epic so people were screwed over

Luckily they fixed that pretty quick but as Mario says “you don’t get a second chance at first impressions”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My friends, I must admit that I am impressed. Despite competing against the creme de la creme of 2021 we still have a handful of old games from years past in the mix. Up till now only one has ever been able to break it into the top 10. Will that record hold true after today or are we about to see them fall by the wayside? It’s Disco Elysium that holds that title but will it be able to repeat that fate? We’re still waiting to hear from Hades and we haven’t seen Outer Wilds yet either. Making it this far is a huge achievement but you know they’ll want to make it further. Unfortunately one old game is about to fall but who will it be? Here’s your #15…

Bug Squash posted:

Feels like a victory lap.

lordfrikk posted:

Just an insane achievement overall.

Kazzah posted:

One of the most ambitious and original things I've played.

Microcline posted:

An experience of nearly the same calibur.

Tulip posted:

Goddamn the music.

Torquemadras posted:

It makes you feel like an absolute genius.

Khanstant posted:

I beat the whole game the wrong way without realizing.

Relax or DIE posted:

The feelings of discovery, mystery, and peril.

bop bop perano posted:

The ending made me cry.

xedo posted:

This is the game that really wrung me out emotionally this year.

VideoGames posted:

It connected with me on a deeply human basis and left me both full of hope and tremendously empty inside.

whalestory posted:

You should've been higher but I let you down. oh god i let you down.

15. OUTER WILDS + ECHOES OF THE EYE
(Mobius)
116 points, listed 16 times, #1 2 times

There’s still no stopping Outer Wilds which holds strong in the top 15 for the third straight year.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Escobarbarian posted:

Personally I don't like Tim Sweeney's antics and his smug attitude. EGS is also really bad and I don't feel like it's secure enough for me to trust it with my money. It might have gotten better tho, I haven't kept up with it.

Edit: gently caress yeah Outer Wilds. Another game I'm going to finally beat in 2022.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Escobarbarian posted:

I just want to play the game where I already own the rest of the series

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i may have bounced off the dlc but outer wilds is still so absurdly incredibly good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I still have to play Echoes of the Eye... I guess I played the original one year later so catching up will feel like deja vu

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey it’s Outer Wilds, another epic store timed exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looper posted:

i may have bounced off the dlc but outer wilds is still so absurdly incredibly good

True. Though I liked the DLC ok, just the stealth sections brought it down