Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Docjowles posted:

The Jags requested to interview Dan Quinn early too. But he declined

Matt Eberflus too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont understand why anyone thinks that Culley is going to get fired. The Texans have a garbage roster and played well for him in his first year, I see no reason to fire him because there were no expectations for this season.

What? The Jaguars used it to interview Doug Pedersen and will be interviewing Jim Caldwell and Bill O'Brian next week. They also requested to interview Byron Leftwich and Kellen Moore (and maybe others) but both declined because they are dealing with preparing their teams for critical end-of-season games. If a team had locked up the 1 seed a couple weeks ago I could maybe see said team's coordinators being willing to do an interview.

Sorry, I mean more that no other team fired their coach to get in on the early interview period.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Docjowles posted:

The Jags requested to interview Dan Quinn early too. But he declined, either because loljags or because he was afraid of pissing off Jerruh. So at least one of the two teams with a current vacancy immediately tried to use the new rule.

He declined doing an in season interview. Quinn still plans to just after the cowboys get knocked out.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I would think Culley is safe, aside from the dream candidate being available. Their coaching search last year seemed like a poo poo show - given the disaster of a front office it looked like their candidate pool was limited to guys that knew they probably wouldn't get a shot at an HC position otherwise. I don't think firing a first year coach would really improve that image.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

syzpid posted:

Sorry, I mean more that no other team fired their coach to get in on the early interview period.

I think a part of that is teams waiting to fire the gm too. No point in starting a search if you're cleaning house at the end of the season.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

WaffleZombie posted:

I would think Culley is safe, aside from the dream candidate being available.

I hear Bill O'Brien is looking to get back into the league

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1479899285890211840?t=3x9HjLpdqW09ET9pDaEI1Q&s=19

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'll be disappointed if there aren't rumblings of Stephen Ross trying to send a private plane to Michigan

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

WaffleZombie posted:

I would think Culley is safe, aside from the dream candidate being available. Their coaching search last year seemed like a poo poo show - given the disaster of a front office it looked like their candidate pool was limited to guys that knew they probably wouldn't get a shot at an HC position otherwise. I don't think firing a first year coach would really improve that image.

If Culley is a problem of any sort he's waiting at least 4th or 5th in line for the Texans. Unfortunately 'ownership' is somewhere ahead of him in this line and will not be changing.

Front office could theoretically change I guess, but won't for a while yet from what we can tell.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Carolina should hire Harbaugh and sign Kaepernick

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joe Douglas should rip them off for Mims.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The reason I mentioned Culley is because

1. The texans are dumb as poo poo
2. There's rumours they want a Belichick assistant to come in and do things the "right" way

I agree Culley has, against all odds, done an admirable job with the Texans this season but there's been talk for a while now that a guy like Jerod Mayo is going to get a look in at a head gig before too long and it just seems such a dumb move for the texans to fire a guy who's doing well to throw someone who's probably a few years away from being ready into an impossible situation. This is one of those rare instances where doing something extremely dumb makes it more likely to happen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BlindSite posted:

1. The texans are dumb as poo poo
2. There's rumours they want a Belichick assistant to come in and do things the "right" way

I agree Culley has, against all odds, done an admirable job with the Texans this season but there's been talk for a while now that a guy like Jerod Mayo is going to get a look in at a head gig before too long and it just seems such a dumb move for the texans to fire a guy who's doing well to throw someone who's probably a few years away from being ready into an impossible situation. This is one of those rare instances where doing something extremely dumb makes it more likely to happen.
Ahh that makes sense. "Mike Vrable is a former Belichick player that is a successful HC so lets try a different player". does sound like something dumb an owner would believe in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ahh that makes sense. "Mike Vrable is a former Belichick player that is a successful HC so lets try a different player". does sound like something dumb an owner would believe in.

It would be funny if teams just start hiring ex pats players instead of assistant coaches.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mayo has been coaching inside linebackers for just 2 years. It seems insane to me that his names already being floated for HC jobs. Then again teams might just be using him as a Rooney Rule interview.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Culley was in any danger we would've heard about it by now, because that front office loves chirping to the media. No news is good news for him.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

BlindSite posted:

You'd think having actual firsthand evidence that this doesn't necessarily work would dissuade a team from this, but Texans gonna Texan

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, don't settle for a 2 year ILB coach, get yourself a full blooded Belichick man.

It's Steve's time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kalli posted:

Yeah, don't settle for a 2 year ILB coach, get yourself a full blooded Belichick man.

It's Steve's time.

Oh my god please. Please hire Steevie, Houston. I'm beggin ya. And if he can have a massive meltdown on the scale of Patricia in Detroit, I will literally die from being too happy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Oh my god please. Please hire Steevie, Houston. I'm beggin ya. And if he can have a massive meltdown on the scale of Patricia in Detroit, I will literally die from being too happy.

No, the Pats need to have Steve replace his dad and we get that epic shitshow in NE. The Texans are already the worst franchise in the NFL.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magnetic North posted:

Whats scary is that he has been their DB coach for at least few years right? Because their DBs are always good. Its like they grow on trees there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Whats scary is that he has been their DB coach for at least few years right? Because their DBs are always good. Its like they grow on trees there.

He moved from that to outside linebackers 2 years ago. The defensive coaching staff basically completely shuffled everything 2 years ago.

But Brian Belichick is safeties coach :v:

Mike Pellegrino has been DB's coach for 2 years, and he's a guy who should probably be getting calls about being promoted to a DC with how they've performed.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Giants fire Joe Judge, Texans hire him, he hires Matt Patricia as DC and Patriots WR coach Mick Lombardi (Son of Mike) as OC. Comedy ensues for everyone outside of Houston, while their fans become sommeliers of the finest bleaches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Giants fire Joe Judge, Texans hire him, he hires Matt Patricia as DC and Patriots WR coach Mick Lombardi (Son of Mike) as OC. Comedy ensues for everyone outside of Houston, while their fans become sommeliers of the finest bleaches.

Joe Judge going the "i sucked for a few years and then got another job immediately" adam gase route would be pretty funny.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Tepper was probably on board with the tanking. I don't mind the idea of giving a coach 3 years, but it really doesn't feel like we are better off than before Rivera was fired. It felt like Rhule lost this team at some point in the middle of the season.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

It's Steve's time.

Most of the WEEI guys are convinced of this, literally. The only thing anyone could say in defense of the notion was that Belichek was his dad and he could call him if there was anything he wasn't sure of.

Like in the list of positive qualities I'd want in a coach I think "dad good at football" is pretty low.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

Tepper was probably on board with the tanking. I don't mind the idea of giving a coach 3 years, but it really doesn't feel like we are better off than before Rivera was fired. It felt like Rhule lost this team at some point in the middle of the season.

I think a lot gets fixed by the QB room and offensive line not being so lovely. There's not too many coaches who could have done better with the current crop in those areas. The 3rd quarter meltdowns are becoming a bizarre hallmark though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

as long as Ruhle isn't allowed to make substantial trades

build the offensive line and have the team show improvement

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Rhule took over a 5-11 team and went *checks notes* 5-11 and 5-11.

Making real progress, that guy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

BlindSite posted:

I think a lot gets fixed by the QB room and offensive line not being so lovely. There's not too many coaches who could have done better with the current crop in those areas. The 3rd quarter meltdowns are becoming a bizarre hallmark though.

So how are they going to fix the QB room or the offensive line for year 3?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Meanwhile, the Broncos kicked a FG down 7 points with 4:30 left, and never touched the ball again.

A fitting end to the Fangio regime.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rhule is gone after next year unless they upgrade from Darnold.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

So how are they going to fix the QB room or the offensive line for year 3?

A lot of it hinges on a true and honest assessment on Christensens 4 games at Left Tackle. Best case scenario he's a real live LT and you can use that high first round pick on a QB and bring in someone like Tyrod or Foles to be the bridge. Worst case he's not and you take the best LT candidate you can with that pick. If the defense continues on schedule even with someone exactly average like Andy Dalton this could become an 8 win team.

If you're asking me what my gut tells me. They want to draft someone and I'm thinking Pickett is the most likely candidate and they'll do all they can to recoup a 2nd and find talent after at OL in the draft. They're already shopping CMC apparently so I wouldn't rule out a trade for some help on the line/s either.

mcmagic posted:

Rhule is gone after next year unless they upgrade from Darnold.

Yeah, something at QB has to give in the next three months. I think they'll be in the conversation for everyone available via trade and be doing their homework on this class.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

Meanwhile, the Broncos kicked a FG down 7 points with 4:30 left, and never touched the ball again.

I was glad they did it obviously and it probably wouldn't have mattered with that much time left but...I honestly don't understand.

You don't have poo poo to play for other than pride, might as well play for that.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

this is why staley kept going for it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Harbaugh is his own agent

that's the joke i was making yeah

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Lol Bill won't let Steve touch the Texans

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

He moved from that to outside linebackers 2 years ago. The defensive coaching staff basically completely shuffled everything 2 years ago.

But Brian Belichick is safeties coach :v:

Mike Pellegrino has been DB's coach for 2 years, and he's a guy who should probably be getting calls about being promoted to a DC with how they've performed.
Bill has 2 kids on his coaching staff? lmao

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bill has 2 kids on his coaching staff? lmao

Yup, his 3rd kid is the head coach of Holy Cross's Lacrosse team.

Here's Brian btw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gotta admit the hair is quite majestic. Very Boston