Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dr. Poz posted:

I'd like to make a small mod. You have to be level 20 to buy Vlindrel Hall in Markarth and I'd like to lower that to 15. I'm know of mods that remove house purchase requirements or greatly relax them across the board, but I'd like to stick close to the vanilla experience and maybe learn a little about modding if this isn't a giant pain in the rear end. I've got the Creation Kit up and running and have been through the Character > Quest > Dialog > The Reach tree and haven't found anything. Am I looking in the wrong place or is this a bigger ask than it seems?

I don't know anything about modding, but you might get one of the ones that lowers requirements for buying houses and open it and look at what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
A reasonable suggestion. The contents of esp's are serialized as something I don't immediately recognize (tbf what I recognize is limited to plain text formats though) so I don't think I can figure it out based on inference and keywords in plain text. When I load the plugin up in Creation Kit I'm still not quite sure what I'm looking for as it seems to present the merged data set. Thanks for the suggestion though!

edit: actually, there may be enough plain text to feel my way to it. seeing things like "QF_Favor157_000A3504" repeated.

edit2: nope, at a loss.

edit3: looking at the data in Character > Quest > Favor > Favor157 and it looks promising.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 4, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take a look at it. I've modded house-obtaining before.

I'd suggest Xedit for examining existing mods, by the way.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 5, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dr. Poz posted:

A reasonable suggestion. The contents of esp's are serialized as something I don't immediately recognize (tbf what I recognize is limited to plain text formats though) so I don't think I can figure it out based on inference and keywords in plain text. When I load the plugin up in Creation Kit I'm still not quite sure what I'm looking for as it seems to present the merged data set. Thanks for the suggestion though!

edit: actually, there may be enough plain text to feel my way to it. seeing things like "QF_Favor157_000A3504" repeated.

edit2: nope, at a loss.

edit3: looking at the data in Character > Quest > Favor > Favor157 and it looks promising.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Vlindrel_Hall
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Igmund
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dungeon_Delving_(Jarl_-_Hagravens)

it might have been easier to use a console command to setstage for that radiant quest than making a whole new mod

could probably also make a new override plugin for that quest in xEdit instead of dealing with CK's sluggishness

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'll take a look at it. I've modded house-obtaining before.

I'd suggest Xedit for examining existing mods, by the way

Thanks, I basically ended up doing this. I already had SSEEdit so I created an empty .esp in CK (probably uneccessary but SSEEdits warnings choosing "override" on Skyrim.esm didn't instill me with confidence) and made the change in that which worked!

Gyoru posted:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Vlindrel_Hall
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Igmund
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dungeon_Delving_(Jarl_-_Hagravens)

it might have been easier to use a console command to setstage for that radiant quest than making a whole new mod

could probably also make a new override plugin for that quest in xEdit instead of dealing with CK's sluggishness

Thanks for the links! The real challenge was learning navigate the CK tree to find the data I was looking for. It definitely would have been easier to just use console commands but this is a QoL change I want to keep without thinking about rolling forward. Playing with the Alternate Start mod and choosing Khajit Caravan Guard starts you off in Markarth. I've done it a couple times and basically run out of things to do in and around the city by level 15. Yeah, I could go grind it out or head to Falkreath but I've spent the past two weeks downloading/installing/configuring mods. This was a visible seam between the designed experience and the desired experience and seemed like a good start.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get it done!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, here's how I figured it out:

Step 1: Google! It looks like the quest to find Hrolfdir's Shield is the specific bit that's gated at level 20. Wiki shows it as Favor157.

Step 2: I loaded it up in the CK first, which was a mistake, because I couldn't find what I needed.

Step 3: I toodled around in dialog, because that's roughly how I changed things for Breezehome and Hjerim, but those two were exceptions to the rule apparently. It must be a favor system thing, because I'm not finding it.

Step 4: More Google. Xedit. Dicked around with another mod and got confused.

Step 5: XEdit was the only place I could find the level in the quest itself. I have no idea why. The CK is a mystery.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 5, 2022

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug
The thing that proved most challenging was that the Level condition didn't show in CK, so not knowing to fallback on Xedit/SSEEdit was the blocker.

edit: nevermind, googling

Midnight Voyager posted:

Alright, here's how I figured it out:

Step 5: I find the global for Favor157. Sure enough, there's a condition for greater than or equal to level 20. Copy this global to a new ESP, change the number in that ESP, and you have your mod.

How did you identify the global associated with Favor157? I see no references to it on the Favor object and nothing named Favor157 in Misc > Globals.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 5, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Poz posted:

The thing that proved most challenging was that the Level condition didn't show in CK, so not knowing to fallback on Xedit/SSEEdit was the blocker.

edit: nevermind, googling

How did you identify the global associated with Favor157? I see no references to it on the Favor object and nothing named Favor157 in Misc > Globals.

Sorry, I messed that up, I was writing as I went trying to look through the CK and a different favor quest for reference, the global was something I found in a different quest. I fixed it.

I understand getting mixed up isn't TERRIBLY helpful when trying to figure things out. I think I got confused when I was following a chain of references.

(also no, I don't know why two different favor quests have two different places the drat level restriction shows up in, what the hell)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 5, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Helith posted:

A new fantastic looking menu replacer, I'm giving it a try now and love it, easy to install and looks great.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/60837

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEwekC49mI

This is a very nice mod. I've been using Dear Diary forever, but it always felt pretty bright, especially for how gloomy skyrim kinda is on its own

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I guess there’s currently a thing going on on Nexus right now where some insecure fragile doof is uploading a bunch of mods that erase all the same-sex content from like the ability to marry someone of the same gender as the PC and that dead gay couple on Solstheim. He’s even moved on to creating patches that remove the gay content from other peoples mods like Interesting NPCs now too.

It’s caused a lot of people to go full mask off and endorse bigotry, including a couple of big name mod authors like IconicDeath and Wizkid (the Lanterns of Skyrim II guy). It’s fascinating to see just how homophobic the Skyrim modding community really is and how little prompting it takes to get them to confirm it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The "We're an open, inclusive modding community" veneer washes off as soon as someone does something that a mod author doesn't like. See: Arthmoor and even the slightest, most benign criticism of his mods.

It doesn't surprise me that some of the big authors are closet homophobes or Nazis, and relish the opportunity to spew their bile at any given moment. Now watch all of this devolve into "WE ARE BEING CANCELED FOR OUR BELIEFS" and then they balkanize and take their mods offline and poo poo.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I only feel a bit better because people retaliated with "No Marriage/No Straight Marriage" mods, including patches for Interesting NPCs, and those mods are significantly more popular than fragile shitlord mods.

Where did IconicDeath and Wizkid go mask off, if I might ask? The comments to all this guy's mods have been pretty heavily moderated.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 9, 2022

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

You can check their profile and see what mods they endorsed. I can confirm it.

https://gyazo.com/9179e645a8ccedf880b732ced9334cbd

https://gyazo.com/44a09bfd08c2adae23d34ae3c86393a5

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midig posted:

You can check their profile and see what mods they endorsed. I can confirm it.

https://gyazo.com/9179e645a8ccedf880b732ced9334cbd

https://gyazo.com/44a09bfd08c2adae23d34ae3c86393a5

aha, endorsements! I thought they'd made a statement or something, thanks.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

At first I though the mod was up because some people download mods like Osex and Ocum, and therfor play Skyrim with their hands on their dick. If that is the case, make any changes you need to improve "that" experience. But one of those mods removes a gay couple in Skyrim post-mortem, which is loving weird because you probably wouldnt even know there was a dead gay couple in Skyrim to begin with. They loving zero-sum the gay.

Two top posts on reddit thread on /r/skyrimmods makes it apparent that it is even worse than it seems:

https://gyazo.com/53f7c1bfcbeefd6d26a743e20c63e8e0

https://gyazo.com/08a83af1c9bf3267f521680aef80a633

Midig fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 9, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midig posted:

At first I though the mod was up because some people download mods like Osex and Ocum, and therfor play Skyrim with their hands on their dick. If that is the case, make any changes you need to improve "that" experience. But one of those mods removes a gay couple in Skyrim post-mortem, which is loving weird because you probably wouldnt even know there was a dead gay couple in Skyrim. They loving zero-sum the gay.

They also, and this isn't NECESSARILY a problem, undo a CRF change that makes a dead man into a dead woman because the audio line says "she". They change the audio line to make it "he" now and leave the corpse as a man.

If they weren't doing a bunch of weird homophobic poo poo, I'd shrug, but context makes me side-eye that guy's issues.

EDIT: This is talking about Lykanthr0pe, not ReaperAnon who is a goddamn outright nazi.

Also there's now a mod that adds a secret gay romance between Balgruuf and Ulfric, I'm living for this insane mod war.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

They also, and this isn't NECESSARILY a problem, undo a CRF change that makes a dead man into a dead woman because the audio line says "she". They change the audio line to make it "he" now and leave the corpse as a man.

If they weren't doing a bunch of weird homophobic poo poo, I'd shrug, but context makes me side-eye that guy's issues.

EDIT: This is talking about Lykanthr0pe, not ReaperAnon who is a goddamn outright nazi.

Also there's now a mod that adds a secret gay romance between Balgruuf and Ulfric, I'm living for this insane mod war.

Yeah Lykanthr0pe is currently staging a "stop putting words in my mouth, I'm not political, in fact I think BOTH sides are equally bad, but seriously, I really hate gay people" shitfit on his Nexus profile and the pinned and locked comments on all of his weirdass gay-erasing mods. Basically a hit dog howling, SUPER hard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I agree with one of the commenters on the Ulfric/Balgruuf mod: Balgruuf could do SO much better than Ulfric's racist rear end. Although it does explain that certain, uh, tension that exists between the two men. Who's to say exactly what they got up to at High Hrothgar while they were training under the Greybeards together.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Midig posted:

But one of those mods removes a gay couple in Skyrim post-mortem, which is loving weird because you probably wouldnt even know there was a dead gay couple in Skyrim to begin with.
I love my dead gay couple :colbert:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I agree with one of the commenters on the Ulfric/Balgruuf mod: Balgruuf could do SO much better than Ulfric's racist rear end. Although it does explain that certain, uh, tension that exists between the two men. Who's to say exactly what they got up to at High Hrothgar while they were training under the Greybeards together.

Oh yeah totally. And hey, Balgruuf does end up putting his foot down in the end, so I think he knows it too!

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/61577

quote:

For those who like to wear the Amulet of Mara

This mod enables both same sex and opposite sex relationship dialogue options to the Amulet of Mara

This mod makes very few edits.

Red Metal fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 9, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The shitpost responses to this whole thing have been the best part so far.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah Lykanthr0pe is currently staging a "stop putting words in my mouth, I'm not political, in fact I think BOTH sides are equally bad, but seriously, I really hate gay people" shitfit on his Nexus profile and the pinned and locked comments on all of his weirdass gay-erasing mods. Basically a hit dog howling, SUPER hard.

Dude is super closeted, but we all know this.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I love the internet, you never have to guess whether someone is a bigot, you can just check their long internet history and they are bound to of shared all of their options on everything already.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

People tell tales of those who grow with time, admit their mistakes and/or move on.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Now people are releasing mods to troll the other mods. This is the Nexus equivalent of bedlam.

EDIT: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/61584 I think this one wins. Master level trolling.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 9, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Shoulda gone all the way and cut the ebony / orcish swords and daggers as well as the Blades katana. The future of our culture is at stake here

We also ought to take a look at curved bows, but when they kiss it’s hot so that’s a trickier thing

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/61590

This guy is using pepes to release a shield that says "shut the gently caress up it's just a mod" as a protest to the mod war.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10932338-ahh-i-love-what-this-sites-become/

NORMIE NPCS POSTING GAY MODS

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
this entire thing is dumb but straights being made to feel uncomfortable is always funny

ive been playing this game since release and I've bought so many versions, sunk countless hours in to it (because I have a problem), and I've been married twice. Once to a random NPC for a quest and once to Serana just to see if anything cool happens. Spoiler, nothing cool happens. I can't imagine caring so much about Skyrim marriage to make it straights only

I'll count this as a win if we get a custom NPC follower that's got 5,000 voiced lines and is the gayest gay to ever gay because most mods are boring waifu trash so someone should flip the script. Hell just copy paste Dorian from Dragon Age Inquistion in to the game

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 9, 2022

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lmao what is going on. this is legitimately funny

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dongicus posted:

lmao what is going on. this is legitimately funny

Some asswipe uploaded a mod that removed gay marriage from the game, so other people made a bunch of mods to dunk on him for being a fuckhead.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mod war, mod war never changes.

Aers has hidden SSE Engine fixes in protest until the homophobic mods are taken down.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
it reminds me of a mod for xcom eu where they tweaked the ratio for male/female random soldier generation from 50:50 to 70:30

like i can't get genuinely mad about that. its so hilariously pathetic

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dongicus posted:

it reminds me of a mod for xcom eu where they tweaked the ratio for male/female random soldier generation from 50:50 to 70:30

Like the dude making the mod, whatever gently caress him, he’s a dork, it’s all the people that went flocking to support him, including a bunch of big name modders that’s like “oh, wow, I’m legitimately disheartened here.”

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dongicus posted:

Compare to Metal Gear Solid V where the number of female soldiers was ridiculously low that modders had make quests to farm them so they could fill their bases with bikini clad waifus.

Women, either too many or not enough!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

Mod war, mod war never changes.

Aers has hidden SSE Engine fixes in protest until the homophobic mods are taken down.

Hard to express how much I respect Aers for this

The mod war is funny but it obscures nexus being okay with homophobic mods made by an actual white supremacist making the front page.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I implore Wabbajack mod list creators to sneak in this mod into their modlists:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/61638

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Looks like the marriage mods have all been taken down from what I can see.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Word of Power Learned: Bottom :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Looks like the marriage mods have all been taken down from what I can see.

They removed both probably because "Both are causing drama" IE, Nexus are cowards.