Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

It's not the first time a big streamer's taken a temp ban for this but watching TV on Twitch seems to be the in thing at the moment, especially if it involves a certain highly sweary British chef. A crackdown on this is inevitable, and it's almost certainly going to be crap. Someone big's going to complain about a big streamer watching television with a 10k+ audience. There's people who watch TV/YouTube stuff and actually make commentary on it as opposed to just sitting in the corner giggling, but it's probably all just going to be hit and not really worth doing (speaking as someone who often likes to show old crap British telly from time to time, even that's not going to really be worth it).

The end result is it'll probably be just like streaming on YouTube. I got a 3 month streaming ban on YT for showing a freaking ancient episode of Win, Lose or Draw simply because Content ID picked it up while I was live.

Funnily enough, I did watch a stream the other morning where they were watching Kitchen Nightmares, though they said the deleted the VODs later, because they heard somebody told Ramsey about Twitch, and Ramsey went, "What the gently caress is Twitch?!"

Twitch does have a thing called 'Watch Parties', where you can stream a movie (and assumably TV shows) for you and others to watch. The catch is, though, is that both the streamer and viewer must both have a subscription to Amazon Prime linked to their Twitch.

The article doesn't make any mention of the Watch Party feature, but it made me wonder if A.) Amazon would still crack down on a Watch Party if the viewer count got too high, and B.) if Watch Parties are limited to content that's available free to stream on Amazon Prime, or if you can stream paid/purchased content so long as both streamer and viewer have Amazon Prime (I'm guessing not, but who knows?)

EDIT:

There's nothing stating the show being free to stream through Prime at the moment, but there is an option to set up a Watch Party, so now I'm wondering if it was the case where Pokimane was running a Watch Party, and Amazon cracked down because of the viewer count (maybe some kind of legal agreement between them and Paramount?) EDIT2: From selecting the 'Watch Party' button on something that requires payment on my Amazon, I get a message saying that both you and whoever that joins must also buy or rent the movie/show as well.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This seems pertinent: "Avoiding Copyright Problems with Twitch Watch Parties (Tenami.tv)" by Lawful Masses with Leonard French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgTq-MxNNLw

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Hel posted:

Are people really suggesting that the DMCA should allow you to just rebroadcast anything?

yes

fun hater
May 24, 2009

a company who owns the rights to the ip being broadcast by a personality (lets pretend they have one for a minute) that people are tuning in to watch with is not losing out on potential earnings. the people in the audience are not there bc they really want to watch this one tv show but bc they want to waste time with a internet personality they like. there is no profit incentive to cracking down on watch parties and all it does, at best, is irritate and alienate potential audiences

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

avatar belongs to nickelodeon and she had no right to distribute it to the masses on twitch... glad she got put in her place by the DMCA...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The second you start a twitch account your human rights should be suspended

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's really cool that we live in an awful world where game developers can pitch a "Streaming Mode" version of their game as a perk, and it strips out all the music so you can safely play in dead silence or with strange filler sounds to an audience of 5 people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It has never been easier to share culture with other people and the best minds of our generation are working 24/7 to make sure it's made harder.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

make sure to hit that like and subscribe button

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's really cool that we live in an awful world where game developers can pitch a "Streaming Mode" version of their game as a perk, and it strips out all the music so you can safely play in dead silence or with strange filler sounds to an audience of 5 people.

Max Dood got around that in a funny way with Guardians of the Galaxy by just playing covers when you do the huddle up thing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

there was a guy on twitch who would sit in the corner and click his controller randomly over real boxing pay-per-view so people could watch it lol

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There was also a guy who streamed an extreme close-up of his face while he was watching one of the YouTube boxing fights so you could see the reflection of it on his glasses. Cue over 10,000 people telling him not to loving move an inch.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

fun hater posted:

there was a guy on twitch who would sit in the corner and click his controller randomly over real boxing pay-per-view so people could watch it lol

Kim Justice posted:

There was also a guy who streamed an extreme close-up of his face while he was watching one of the YouTube boxing fights so you could see the reflection of it on his glasses. Cue over 10,000 people telling him not to loving move an inch.

Copyright is horseshit but this hilarious.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1479916009368604673

Well, here goes. I guess a few of these are going to be winging their way to people. The name of MasterChef must be protected.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

This is so loving dumb. It's incredibly easy to find streams of any vaguely large fight.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It has never been easier to share culture with other people and the best minds of our generation are working 24/7 to make sure it's made harder.

Knowledge has no value if its not hidden away and hoarded.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Snapcube crew recorded the second episode of the AI-generated Sonic script and while the first one was funny, this one blows it out of the water. There are so many batshit twists in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyuL_lUvZpk

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

Gaius Marius posted:

This is so loving dumb. It's incredibly easy to find streams of any vaguely large fight.

Have you considered the thought that it's funny

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i am gonna lmao in 5-10 years as huge chunks of copyrighted content are unrecognizable in the cultural canon to younger people who grew up on twitch and youtube

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bird. posted:

i am gonna lmao in 5-10 years as huge chunks of copyrighted content are unrecognizable in the cultural canon to younger people who grew up on twitch and youtube

Yes, and everyone was convinced that the post-Napster world of music piracy meant that the major record labels were all destined for the dustbin of history.

Streaming other people's copyrighted videos is just plain lovely behavior. It's lovely to the people who made that content and aren't getting any cut of the money that the streamer is making off of their work. It's lovely for other streamers who are trying to make good streams with content they are creating themselves (or that they have properly acquired the rights to stream). And the thing is, even the streamers doing this know it. Sometimes, smaller streamers and/or kids who don't know any better will stream themselves watching another popular streamer, and when that happens the popular streamers have Twitch bring the loving hammer down.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not crying about the guys who own the rights to masterchef not making 15 bucks off 10000 people watching it but also of all the copyright fights to pick in the world this seems like one of the most impotent

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah - from where I stand, this is less "a streamer getting picked on" and more "inter-corporate violence". Hasan, Pokimane, etc. are the faces of media entities and they should absolutely know better. And most - not all, but most - at that level will use copyright to keep others from doing what they're doing with their own content, if it becomes any sort of numbers worth paying attention to.

I make stuff, too, and copyright ensures that it's used in ways I approve of. Not necessarily in terms of money, either--I've sent "friendly reminders" about GPL violations in the past. "Top streamers on Twitch, pulling in tens of thousands of dollars per month, can't stream MasterChef" is just "yes...and?" as far as I can see.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Yes, and everyone was convinced that the post-Napster world of music piracy meant that the major record labels were all destined for the dustbin of history.

Streaming other people's copyrighted videos is just plain lovely behavior. It's lovely to the people who made that content and aren't getting any cut of the money that the streamer is making off of their work. It's lovely for other streamers who are trying to make good streams with content they are creating themselves (or that they have properly acquired the rights to stream). And the thing is, even the streamers doing this know it. Sometimes, smaller streamers and/or kids who don't know any better will stream themselves watching another popular streamer, and when that happens the popular streamers have Twitch bring the loving hammer down.

tyhis is a blunt and boring take that completely misses what is potentially funny here in favor of being self-righteous about copyright law

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bird. posted:

tyhis is a blunt and boring take that completely misses what is potentially funny here in favor of being self-righteous about copyright law

tbf the idea of some guy streaming 'every pokimane stream in order' and getting dmca'd for it is very funny

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I would give that person a sub

Sandwich that is, gently caress giving Twitch money

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's just gonna result in Twitch going harder on content ID scraping poo poo that makes it impossible to play anything without getting a takedown

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

gently caress off

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Some twitch streamer reading this thread make a video of just you reading this thread I will not dmca you

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i wonder who owns the rights to my bad posts

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Impermanent posted:

Some twitch streamer reading this thread make a video of just you reading this thread I will not dmca you

i will

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Nuns with Guns posted:

Though to be fair, it does give us moments like this:

https://twitter.com/thesarahkey/status/1436768293138874376

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mischalaniouse posted:

Though to be fair, it does give us moments like this:

https://twitter.com/thesarahkey/status/1436768293138874376

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8ffB9JU64

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's some quality stuff on, let's say, streamers with cooking or engineering experience riffing on weird cooking channels or craft channels. OBS does now have an option to stream audio but them block it on VODs, which has been a saving grace for the stuff I usually follow.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

thank you for defending the income of the fox corporation, your services will be rewarded.

(Like, yeah, just restreaming some rando's youtube video, or an album on bandcamp no one's heard of is kind of an rear end in a top hat move, but a reality TV series, which are like, designed so that as few real people as possible have any chance of getting paid so they can be more profitable this was an absolutely morally neutral action at worst)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I haven't seen it linked here and I am currently thoroughly horrified: The unofficial guide to electrocution (and how to avoid it)

Choice quote: "The diaphragm ist an extremely unpleasant aspect of electrocution…"

I will try to avoid doing that then, tyvm.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

egg tats posted:

thank you for defending the income of the fox corporation, your services will be rewarded.

(Like, yeah, just restreaming some rando's youtube video, or an album on bandcamp no one's heard of is kind of an rear end in a top hat move, but a reality TV series, which are like, designed so that as few real people as possible have any chance of getting paid so they can be more profitable this was an absolutely morally neutral action at worst)

Thinking that no one gets paid on reality tv because only certain cast members contestants win prizes is how a child would understand a television production. These shows usually have just as many below-the-line crew as any scripted series. Plenty of my friends who work in production have their ability to pay rent directly connected to whether certain reality shows end up getting new seasons.

But please, go on and defend the millionaire streamers who are your close parasocial friends. If they really wanted to rebroadcast content they didn’t make, they could pay for the rights to do so.

EDIT:

I think this point needs to be emphasized: This isn’t a case of a group of friends watching a movie together on discord or something. This is a performer, at their job, who is making money by showing someone else’s content.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 9, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Copyright shouldn’t exist and there should be enough social support for artists to be able to live and create comfortably without relying on the commercial appeal of their art, imo

Also it should be financially and regulatorily impossible for large media companies to exist

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lets do something about it

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

LanceHunter posted:

Thinking that no one gets paid on reality tv because only certain cast members contestants win prizes is how a child would understand a television production. These shows usually have just as many below-the-line crew as any scripted series. Plenty of my friends who work in production have their ability to pay rent directly connected to whether certain reality shows end up getting new seasons.

But please, go on and defend the millionaire streamers who are your close parasocial friends. If they really wanted to rebroadcast content they didn’t make, they could pay for the rights to do so.

EDIT:

I think this point needs to be emphasized: This isn’t a case of a group of friends watching a movie together on discord or something. This is a performer, at their job, who is making money by showing someone else’s content.

You make an excellent argument against video game streaming too, so if your intention is to end all streaming then congratulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

You make an excellent argument against video game streaming too, so if your intention is to end all streaming then congratulations.

Video game streaming only exists because the companies think it is good advertising, they could stop it any time they wanted