Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I wasn't really following that goty thread but EW was my #1 for sure.

And after watching the ending cutscenes and final battles and listening to the soundtrack some more after I beat it the first time, I think I can now definitively say that I enjoyed Endwalker more than Shadowbringers. Good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Vermain posted:

The boss will always do either a perfect diamond pattern, or a zigzagging Z-shaped pattern. For the former, simply run to the last spot he's going to land at and then run to where he started the pattern once that circle pops. For the latter, run to the last spot he's going to land at and then run into the second spot he landed at once its circle clears.

Same. Never had a problem with it, then I got it a reaper the other day and totally panicked and messed it up. Tried to use my movement abilities to fix it and only ended up in even worse spot.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I feel like Endwalker was a Shoo-in because i can't think of many games that came out this year. RE8 and Guilty Gear and that's about it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/TbtGlEv.mp4

crabe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Second place was Metroid Dread

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CJ posted:

I feel like Endwalker was a Shoo-in because i can't think of many games that came out this year. RE8 and Guilty Gear and that's about it.

Metroid and Halo, two good games about helmeted alien killers.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Psychonauts 2 was this year and it ruled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blue reflection 2nd light was this year and owns, and also has a protagonist who uses a scythe, just like half of endwalker playthroughs

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

:siren: Nerd alert :siren:

Replaced old pealing decal on my car with something more nerdy and final fantasy-y

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Congratulations to Something Awful's Game of the Year for 2021!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

lol that this thread is dead tonight because all its posters took a victory probe

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Nvm. Not sure if tagged spoilers are allowed in here. Better safe than sorry.

Travic fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 9, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

poo poo did I miss probes? I want to offset my no avatar havin' rear end with something interesting

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Come read too many words about fishing with your favorite Heavensward player in today's LP update

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travic posted:

Nvm. Not sure if tagged spoilers are allowed in here. Better safe than sorry.

Tagged spoilers are allowed in here. There is a dedicated spoiler thread but I can't recommend going in there until you've finished the MSQ.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ImpAtom posted:

Tagged spoilers are allowed in here. There is a dedicated spoiler thread but I can't recommend going in there until you've finished the MSQ.

Ok I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying.

I just finished the first trial and was blown away that Zodiark has been holding The Final Days back this entire time

:edit:And now I'm underground in a world ship crewed by rabbits and the combat music is midi retro Final Fantasy music. Is this a fever dream?

Travic fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 9, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I only just noticed that on the final Endwalker trial you can hear multiple screams as the planets collide and explode. Fantastic sound design and so chilling.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Just finished up the Weapon series. Felt a bit weird to have a "the gang's all here" moment with Livia, Nero, Ritalin and Gaius in Werlyt.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So I just went a bit overboard in the New/Trial thread and did a big post about Clan Hunts. I was mostly looking into the XP rewards, and found that they're actually pretty decent, being around 23-33% of a level depending on when you do them. Most notably for why I'm mentioning it here, is in Endwalker:

Onean posted:

Now for Endwalker, which is where I found something worth making this post. Doing all three of the EW Hunts at level 80 will give 50% of a level. That's a lot! The drop off after that is more severe than the other expansions, but the amount is still worth taking note of. Doing them at 82 will give 45% and at 87 they're worth 34%. That still makes them more rewarding than the other expansions and is a significant amount of experience. Doing a level appropriate EW dungeon will get you a little over half of a level after the buff they did a little bit ago, without the roulette or In Need bonus, so I'd absolutely recommend picking up the daily Hunts to do in between queues if you're not using Trusts.

I'm glad I found that out now, as I'm about to seriously get into leveling my Jobs instead of the two I did with the MSQ and side quests.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

ShB playthrough thoughts, MSQ 78, dungeon and trial 79: I quite enjoyed the golem building quest, with the whole word coming together in a triumphant finale while the trailer music played through upper Kholusia. Hitting this plot point explains why they rushed through the Eulmore resolution that way, which still annoys me, but at least the payoff was worth it.

It was honestly one of the first times this game feels grandiose in the FF climaxes tend to be. The grand setpieces where a weapon attacks Midgard or Junon and the world map changes to reflect the devastation wrought, you know. The closest thing we had to that prior was Omega and Shinryuu’s rampage, but that felt a bit removed from our protagonists while here we’re in the thick of it and causing it (also the 1.x->2.0 transition, but I wasn't there for it).

This leads to a very cinematic dungeon where the golem swats out of the sky right next to you as you progress before you enter into Vauthry’s domain where you see him build a giant city of marble and gold out of nothing in a way the game has never really shown before. The featureless white cubes that resolved into normal building structures was extremely different from the other lightwarden lairs, where some light crust accumulated on the existing structure and I’d like the game to delve a little more into it. Was this just a neat visual effect?

I appreciate that they let Vauthry keep his goofy voice even in his beautified boss form. The way they let his health bar fill back to full was neat, even though I suspected something was up (the fight seemed too easy and too fast for a late game trial)

The G’raha Tia reveal went pretty well, from the moments you spend with him right before the dungeon (where it becomes really obvious he intends to sacrifice himself for you), to the opportunity the game gives you to call out his name at just the right moment, and then the gun shot (I love this, it’s terribly low spectacle after this whole sequence, but effective) and the hood falling off. The one bemol to this whole song is that the apparent betrayal plot felt unconvincing all the way through, and I’m not even sure why it was needed. Like, it made sense for Emet-Selch to try and sow dissent, and it made sense for G’raha to hide his ultimate end to stop the WoL from sacrificing themselves, but once he put the plan in motion and revealed what he intended to do, it was completely useless to pretend to be a villain for a whole 10 seconds before everyone realized what’s up. The only possible consequence to this charade was a Scion stopping him, which would be counterproductive.
Emet-Selch mentioned an Ascian named Loghrif as responsible for duping Ardbert’s group. I don’t think it’s a name we’ve heard before (and I’d rather avoid googling it), but I’ll pay attention to it appearing during the role quests.

Emet’s plot seems to have been testing the WoL for… something. We know he looks down on the sundered people for being diminished compared to the pre-Sundering folks, to the point of dismissing their basic humanity, but that being from the Source we’re partially rejoined and that he seems to hope we’ll be more equal to him. But one problem with that is that while the Ascians show some abilities normal humans don’t seem to possess (and only 3 Ascians are established to be unsundered, so what of the others?), the people of the First don’t seem particularly different from those of the Source in terms of lifespan, magic or intelligence. So what is Emet-Selch looking for? And why look for it in the WoL who can be a real danger to his plans when he’s had access to the people of the Source through his Solus identity both before and after the latest rejoining.

The last question I have concerns Ardbert. The game previously established that touching him relieved the WoL of the Light poisoning, but when they woke up Ardbert told them that it was Ryne that stabilised their condition. So was it me who misread what happened or are the characters just going to ignore this until a more dramatic moment? It’s kinda weird that the WoL hasn’t talked to their party about this whole Ardbert ghost thing actually.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

re: the exarch G'raha pretends to be a villain specifically so the WoL will not try to stop him sacrificing himself heroically. This only lasts ten seconds because that soft catboy is very bad at pretending to be a bad guy.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Onean posted:

So I just went a bit overboard in the New/Trial thread and did a big post about Clan Hunts. I was mostly looking into the XP rewards, and found that they're actually pretty decent, being around 23-33% of a level depending on when you do them. Most notably for why I'm mentioning it here, is in Endwalker:

I'm glad I found that out now, as I'm about to seriously get into leveling my Jobs instead of the two I did with the MSQ and side quests.

I've been saying this forever when people post stuff about potd and hoh or whatever whenever the question comes up.

Hunts are stuff you can do while waiting on queues for your good roulettes. They fill a niche that's very much worth doing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Algid posted:

Hunts are stuff you can do while waiting on queues for your good roulettes. They fill a niche that's very much worth doing.

At least for me they're timed pretty perfectly to coincide with my DPS queue wait times, and you can use 'Hunt Path' sites (google) that will let you input your 15-ish hunts for the day and get you an optimal path.

If you're exactly on 50/60/70/80 then you can do the hunt paths for the expansion you just finished and the one upcoming and it's not awful XP for the previous one.

Sadly Beast Tribes give out relatively poor XP for DoW/DoM except for the ShB ones which give a good amount, and usually for little effort too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 9, 2022

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Good

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Algid posted:

I've been saying this forever when people post stuff about potd and hoh or whatever whenever the question comes up.

I knew they were decent and would do them on my DPS in between queues, but I didn't know that EW had increased them by such a big amount. I'll be doing those on my non-DPS too.

bewilderment posted:

If you're exactly on 50/60/70/80 then you can do the hunt paths for the expansion you just finished and the one upcoming and it's not awful XP for the previous one.

Sadly Beast Tribes give out relatively poor XP for DoW/DoM except for the ShB ones which give a good amount, and usually for little effort too.

Yeah, doing a previous expansion's Hunts at it's max level gives 17%, which when paired with the next expansion's Hunts 33% makes for 50%.

Also, I believe the Tribe dailies are decent if you do both combat Tribes for at least StB, and I think HW is fine enough as well. I don't have the time to get into it, I really did spend too long on that other post, but I'll take a look after work unless someone else already knows.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think the HW / SB dailies are that far off, but their problem (compared to pixies) is you need to do twice the quests for similar (in % of the expansion's levels) gains, and they require more travelling and clicking more stuff as well. Pixies are "snort two trees/mushrooms, click one or two things, kill a mob or two, return" and if you have to go to the far north there are two more aetherytes nearby. HW/SB is "go to three opposite sides of the map, far from aetherytes, kill or click 3-6 things each" x2 tribes. It's not a huge difference but if you're doing it almost every day it becomes noticeable and it adds up.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Heavensward's definitely the worst for travel, but for StB they're not that bad.

The Fringes has two reasonably placed Aetherytes, so travel for the Ananta's kept pretty low. Certainly not worse than when you get a Pixie daily all the way to the West.

I used to skip the Kojin though, because of the dailies that are all the way in the Southwest of the Ruby Sea. It was quicker to go to Kugane and then Aethernet back, but still annoying. But a couple months ago when I was doing a StB Hunt Train, the organizer mentioned using the ferry to get from Onokoro all the way South. That's a huge QoL placement that makes doing the Kojin quests really easy. I regularly travel farther doing Pixie dailies than Kojin now, unless it's a good day and they're all in the Southern part of Il Mheg.

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 9, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Onean posted:

Do hunt trains do old expansion stuff? I'd like to do some Shadowbringers hunts, but I doubt I'm powerful enough to handle the higher tier elites.

Also as someone who hasn't done any hunts do you fly around the map hunting for them by sight alone or is there something like the aether compass for them?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
is warrior going to get nerfed? this is a snap from one of the many experts i've healed as white mage since endwalker release with a warrior tank. it's always the same story, i have about as much damage as our DPS and the warrior has more healing than me. it honestly feels like i'm just playing a green dps whenever i see a competent geared warrior tank.

spoiler is the name of an endwalker post-MSQ dungeon

it felt kinda like this in shadowbringers, but never to the extent where i sit on three lillies the whole dungeon, or just spend them healing no one between packs for a dps gain.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Leraika posted:

Speaking of BLM, it's really frustrating to play a class whose core mechanic is 'sit there and cast' in most modern fights which really don't want you sitting still at all. Triplecast only does so much.

Blm btfo!!! dead job

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Frida Call Me posted:

is warrior going to get nerfed? this is a snap from one of the many experts i've healed as white mage since endwalker release with a warrior tank. it's always the same story, i have about as much damage as our DPS and the warrior has more healing than me. it honestly feels like i'm just playing a green dps whenever i see a competent geared warrior tank.

it felt kinda like this in shadowbringers, but never to the extent where i sit on three lillies the whole dungeon, or just spend them healing no one between packs for a dps gain.

I think you just got a bad DPS and a good WAR. I never parse in dungeons because the amount of DPS who do less damage than tanks/healers is sadly very high. The WAR looks about right in porportion to the RPR

Xun fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 9, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

I think you just had a very sleepy Black Mage

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
OST available Feb. 23. $55 for the Blu-Ray and includes a Wind-up Vrtra. 62 tracks total

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Travic posted:

Do hunt trains do old expansion stuff? I'd like to do some Shadowbringers hunts, but I doubt I'm powerful enough to handle the higher tier elites.

Also as someone who hasn't done any hunts do you fly around the map hunting for them by sight alone or is there something like the aether compass for them?

I can't speak for other data centers, but the Crystal Hunt Discord currently does Hunt Trains for StB, ShB and EW. I'd expect the other data centers do at least EW and ShB, if not StB as well.

For the solo Hunts, the daily Bills tell you the general area you'll find the targets (you can click on the little arrow in the left of the display to open a map directly to that area), but not exact coordinates so you might have to poke around a little bit until you can remember yourself. The weekly Elite Marks only tell you which zone, but once you get near your target you'll get an indicator that says something like, "You sense a powerful mark nearby to the Northeast." There's no sound and it's the dark gray with white text indicator that pops up in the center of your screen, so it can be easy to miss. It will also show up in your regular chat log, though, so if you look away for something you can just check that to see if you missed it.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

That's a dungeon with random players sir

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Xun posted:

I think you just got a bad DPS and a good WAR. I never parse in dungeons because the amount of DPS who do less damage than tanks/healers is sadly very high. The WAR looks about right in porportion to the RPR

yeah it's not the first time this exact situation has happened, it's more like the 15th time. my complaint is more about the amount of healing warrior can put out than the dps of my fellow roulette members

No Dignity posted:

I think you just had a very sleepy Black Mage

yeah, normally i'm not so neck-and-neck with DPS but probably the black mage could've done a bit better. or perhaps they were undergeared a bit, not sure.

Slider posted:

That's a dungeon with random players sir

it is! i think that healers should have to use some of their healing resources in dungeons, i don't think that's a controversial opinion!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Onean posted:

I can't speak for other data centers, but the Crystal Hunt Discord currently does Hunt Trains for StB, ShB and EW. I'd expect the other data centers do at least EW and ShB, if not StB as well.

For the solo Hunts, the daily Bills tell you the general area you'll find the targets (you can click on the little arrow in the left of the display to open a map directly to that area), but not exact coordinates so you might have to poke around a little bit until you can remember yourself. The weekly Elite Marks only tell you which zone, but once you get near your target you'll get an indicator that says something like, "You sense a powerful mark nearby to the Northeast." There's no sound and it's the dark gray with white text indicator that pops up in the center of your screen, so it can be easy to miss. It will also show up in your regular chat log, though, so if you look away for something you can just check that to see if you missed it.

Ah very cool. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

it is! i think that healers should have to use some of their healing resources in dungeons, i don't think that's a necessarily controversial opinion!

damage is a healing resource in dungeons