Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2022/01/05/national-aquarium-turtle-funzo-baltimore-twitter/

Meet Funzo, The Local Turtle Who Was Cyberbullied On His Birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CBSLA/status/1478733853636313089

I would blow Dane Cook has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Jan 6, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So nice of them to report that in a way that will make some people afraid of a new hybrid disease.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Did a Man With a Bottle Up His rear end Inspire the Breakup of Yugoslavia?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Why the hell are they acting like flu and covid at the same time is new? Flu is eternal. We have been seeing them together for the entire pandemic. My brother has flu and covid literally right now.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Because of the current and also very old state of journalism in america.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I once met a stripper named Flurona.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1479567107318849546

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

freeedr posted:

Why the hell are they acting like flu and covid at the same time is new? Flu is eternal. We have been seeing them together for the entire pandemic. My brother has flu and covid literally right now.

It's actually kind of rare because NPIs aimed at nu-SARS have destroyed a lot of flu incidence. :eng101:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

It's actually kind of rare because NPIs aimed at nu-SARS have destroyed a lot of flu incidence. :eng101:

It isn’t though. It’s constantly happening because the same people who don’t take precautions are at higher risk for both. There was a poo poo-ton of flu a and b already circulating when covid hit. The very first positive covid test I got back on a patient in March 2020 also had flu a and b. There have been very regular occurrences since in my hospital. Even when flu almost died down to nothing that first autumn and winter we were seeing coinfection weekly. There were studies right away when the pandemic hit to determine if there would be worse outcomes from having both. You can still look up the flu and covid coinfection studies from 2020 right now. Media gonna sensationalize

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

freeedr posted:

It isn’t though. It’s constantly happening because the same people who don’t take precautions are at higher risk for both.

Oh, right. Makes sense.

Is there international variance? I distinctly remember listening to the podcast with Drosten (one of Germany's lead coronavirus experts) and he mentioned that the common flu was down a lot. And I just looked at the stats of respiratory illnesses:

I wonder if there's data available showing the behaviour of people who get both/either.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I know our flu season 2020-2021 was extremely mild, but this one is not. We are seeing the normal explosions of flu because people are taking no precautions at all here. Masks are rare to see, concerts and sporting events are wide open without any restrictions, etc. Also, week before last we had our highest total of positive covid tests ever by about 15%, and then last week we doubled that. We see probably 10-20 patients per day with flu/covid coinfection at the moment.

That said, our hospitalization rate is half of what it was at the first big covid peak. I don’t know how much of that is down to vaccination, previous infection, or omicron being actually milder.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The dominant clade of H3N2 influenza has near total vaccine escape this year.

Because flu activity was so low in the prior season, targeting the vaccine was a shot in the dark and, well, it missed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/twinkbride/status/1480174974958813186

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
tldr. Move along; just ranting.

Platystemon posted:

The dominant clade of H3N2 influenza has near total vaccine escape this year.

Because flu activity was so low in the prior season, targeting the vaccine was a shot in the dark and, well, it missed.
I think the weird headline I'd like to see would be "coronavirus vaccines are so effective compared to influenza vaccines, it's a wonder anyone ever got flu shots", which makes me wonder how many were getting flu shots but are anti coronavirus vaccines.

freeedr posted:

There was a poo poo-ton of flu a and b already circulating when covid hit. The very first positive covid test I got back on a patient in March 2020 also had flu a and b.
Clearly you're confused. Anyone who was sick between October and February had coronavirus!! even with a negative antibody test later, even before the first case in the US. "I coughed in November I had coronavirus!! (So now I'm immune, clearly)" :eng99:

Fortunately one person I know who was running this gambit started getting vaccinated as early as possible anyway. I know someone at work who claimed their entire family in Wisconsin had it in February, a mere two weeks after it first appeared in Washington state; unfortunately I got the impression they have only conspiracy theories for their medical opinions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

how many were getting flu shots but are anti coronavirus vaccines

How dare you doxx the majority of my extended family

:ignorance:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Captain Hygiene posted:

How dare you doxx the majority of my extended family

:ignorance:
gently caress.

(It certainly didn't take this long to pay off but I'm not sad I moved 2000mi from my family. I've heard lots of stories about them getting sick, which is not impossible of course but signals their increased risk correlated with silly ideas, as well as some they refuse to get vaccinated because "they're healthy"... then get sick for ten days.)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Anyone who was sick between October and February had coronavirus!! even with a negative antibody test later, even before the first case in the US. "I coughed in November I had coronavirus!! (So now I'm immune, clearly)" :eng99:
I've mentioned an acquaintance who is sure she had SARS (OG SARS, not covid) because she got sick and was travelling when that went down so she doesn't need a vaccine. I'll give her points for originality anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1479941624633303040

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well it's obvious when you think about it, cats use whatever warm thing they can find.

Weirdest I've heard about was piles of compost.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I think the weird headline I'd like to see would be "coronavirus vaccines are so effective compared to influenza vaccines, it's a wonder anyone ever got flu shots", which makes me wonder how many were getting flu shots but are anti coronavirus vaccines.

What’s fascinating is that in trials last year, Moderna’s flu shot did no better than the existing influenza vaccines.

Messenger RNA technology has a lot of things going for it in theory, but against the flu, it just didn’t live up to expectations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Who among us hasn't padded their resume with something like this.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

By popular demand posted:

Well it's obvious when you think about it, cats use whatever warm thing they can find.

Weirdest I've heard about was piles of compost.

This is why you should never leave RTGs around kitties. :ohdear:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Platystemon posted:

What’s fascinating is that in trials last year, Moderna’s flu shot did no better than the existing influenza vaccines.

Messenger RNA technology has a lot of things going for it in theory, but against the flu, it just didn’t live up to expectations.
Didn't know they had tried that; thanks for sharing.

Influenza vaccines have been studied for a long time, yet people get the shot and get the flu, or get the shot and need another one six months later because of flu mutation, or get their flu shot every year instead of every other year. It's almost like flu shots don't prevent infection but kinda reduce the symptoms and risks of getting sick.

See also "Delta breakthrough", "omicron breakthrough" cases.

Or in other words... "poo poo".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1480659597329375238

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

ACAG?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gotta Catch Em All (note: motto not applicable to criminals)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Frankly it's better that they were doing something as harmless as driving around not paying attention to the road, rather than being cops and probably killing someone.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Letting team rocket get away with it again.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Waaaait, can't they just align the Pokemon locations with 911 dispatch and change the types of weapons needed to collect each? "Here's the rare Pokemon Wifebeater which can only be captured with a can of mace. Next up is Snortlots, you'll need a taser. Last on the list is RacisProudWhinolot; call your friends because you'll need an armored car and tear gas to put this one in the bag."

Exhibit A: Demolition Man arrest scene

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKp34OEDobQ

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

They've released a photo of the guy who sculpted the doll

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Weird court opinion footnotes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Urgent international news from Canada:

3 Vancouver Island cats hold owners' blender hostage — for a month
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/langford-cats-vitamix-battle-1.6311910

There are pictures.

They acquired decoy boxes, the cats were not fooled.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Whenever I'll feel like I'm the world's biggest weenie I'll look at those pictures of people who can't even chase a cat away from an appliance box.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I want my Vitamix blender.

I shoo the cat off the box.

I open the door.

I shoo the cat out.

I way goodbye to the cat as it begins its new life on the road.

I see the cat a week later on the side of the road as I drive by, swerving into a puddle to drench it.

I wait until it's monday, then buy a lasagna, then find the cat and heave the lasagna at its cat head.

Don't gently caress with my Vitamix, pussy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Whenever I'll feel like I'm the world's biggest weenie I'll look at those pictures of people who can't even chase a cat away from an appliance box.

They know they can just move them. It is more amusing to see if the cats stop sitting there on their own.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

Urgent international news from Canada:

3 Vancouver Island cats hold owners' blender hostage — for a month
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/langford-cats-vitamix-battle-1.6311910

There are pictures.

They acquired decoy boxes, the cats were not fooled.

I want my vitamix, vitamix, vitamix box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

look at this weirdo who doesn't know that existing in a state of constant brinkmanship is the entire point of owning cats

good dogs are those which are obedient. disobedient cats are celebrated