Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I mean Half-Life is already technically a platformer... I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Before I clicked I thought it was gonna be like, somones painstaking efforts to recreate E1M1 in Spyro Year of the Dragon's Agent 9's level set or something

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just watched the Gloomwood sneak peek and goddammit I want the game now.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Today I made a boss fight for my Quake mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZtsZvZtRw

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tei posted:

Today I made a boss fight for my Quake mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZtsZvZtRw

Whoa, red fur

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Started the original Red Faction for the first time yesterday, and am now at the final level. It's pretty cool, but what I did most interesting is seeing the way Volition reworks old assets.

I'm a massive Saint's Row fan, and unless I'm mistaken there are multiple weapons in SR2 that are straight up taken from this game. I recognize the Sniper rifle, and I'm pretty sure I've seen that precision rifle in 2 or 3 as well. And of course there's the whole Ultor/Masako thing, but that goes without saying.

It feels like a rough beta of the combat in SR2, only MORE janky. It also makes me think that a crossover would be great. We got Red Faction Guerrilla, which is basically Saint's Row set on Mars, but I would love to take some of the RF mechanics into a first person Saint's Row.

Did anyone ever mod that in proper?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

You know when you would play a game made with Unreal Engine 3 or Quake 3 or IdTech 2 etc. game engine and it felt like the most basic experience you could have with that engine? That's what Serious Sam 3 and 4 have felt like, which is weird considering they have their own engines that only their developers really use.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sam 3 is probably the worst one but I do find a tiny bit of charm of making a leftover COD ripoff into a Sam game.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i liked the cod bullshit because it meant that the levels werent just enormous flat rooms

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Farm Frenzy posted:

i liked the cod bullshit because it meant that the levels werent just enormous flat rooms

Yeah, I get that, but I expect that from a Serious Sam game. I assume others do, too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/yoshinokentarou/status/1480435063569674240

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Convex posted:

Whoa, red fur

The Lore Heads say that shambler are actually covered in flesh, but I like more the yeti interpretation. Either way is kind of hard to skin the shambler, it almost like any change looks worse than the original.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tei posted:

The Lore Heads say that shambler are actually covered in flesh, but I like more the yeti interpretation.
Classic Id never seemed to come up with a consensus on whether the Shambler is fleshy or furry, so Modern Id decided to go with "both!", with Quake Champions cosmetics referencing both interpretations of the old model.

https://twitter.com/SyncError/status/1357703295805108227

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What about the Timbler

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What about the Timbler

Still no consensus, except for the fact that my man's drips be downright otherworldly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

What about the Timbler

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1210422104946094082

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1480565058753212416

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Not Important posted:

Still no consensus, except for the fact that my man's drips be downright otherworldly.

No lies detected.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For those also going "Who TF is Timelock Studio?", they're apparently a new studio formed by various Serious Sam series modders from Russia.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Can’t remember if it was this thread or some other one that recommended it but, I finally sat down and played Northern Journey for a while (got up to the diving bell launch) and holy poo poo this game is both terrible and fantastic lol. Recommended if you liked Half-Life but were constantly frustrated by how tough, agile, well-armed, capable and fearless Gordon was

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsteDE8h6jc

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm unconvinced.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll wait until 1.0, but this Doom TC looks pretty stylin. Can't embed the trailer:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/siren-doom-tc/videos
Dig that lever action railgun thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not super familiar, does gzdoom have the same basic top-down architecture restrictions as basic doom? Or can you have overlapping rooms like with build, quake, etc?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not super familiar, does gzdoom have the same basic top-down architecture restrictions as basic doom? Or can you have overlapping rooms like with build, quake, etc?
The actual geometry is the same basic kind as Doom's but it has the ability to do overlapping rooms in other ways (BUILD is similar, it can't represent fully 3D geometry either). It's nowhere near as easy to create geometry for as something like Quake though.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Baron von Eevl posted:

It has UDMF map support, which is a Doom map format that has extra functionality like 3D floors that can create room-over-room spaces. You'll usually only ever see it supported fully in GZDoom though, I'm not too aware of other sourceports that support it.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Is it normal for Bond to slide a little bit extra while moving in "007: Nightfire?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's cool. I remember messing around briefly with zdoom back in the day and laughing at how quickly freelook and jump broke the game but it wasn't until that demo video got posted yesterday that I realized how far doom mods had pushed the engine, even just the voxel objects and colored lighting is wild.

I was more familiar with build, but that handled overlapping rooms by having each room be a sector and only rendering sectors that you can see from neighboring sectors. It held up as long as you weren't able to see two overlapping sectors at the same time. Tier Drops was a good demo of this.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Volte posted:

The actual geometry is the same basic kind as Doom's but it has the ability to do overlapping rooms in other ways (BUILD is similar, it can't represent fully 3D geometry either). It's nowhere near as easy to create geometry for as something like Quake though.

You can, but it requires a lot of preplanning for static mesh like walls and floors with linedefs acting as collision meshes.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 11, 2022

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Time for a post about neat things you can do with 3D floors (and slopes) in UDMF!

Here is a tree:

That tree is two separate levels of 3D floors across 8 sectors that are formed in a ring around the "trunk" sector. Here's a top-down view in the editor.

You can see the octagon in the center of the room is the tree trunk, and the 8 trapezoids around that are the leaves/branches. Each leaf sector in the editor has red corners, which means a 3D floor is being drawn there. That's where those rectangular sectors (outside of the room with the tree and Doomguy) come in. When we look at them in 3D view...

...they're the same shapes and heights as the leaf sectors around the tree! These control sectors define the shape and textures of the 3D floors, then one line of those control sectors is given a "160 - Sector Set 3D Floor" action with a unique Tag ID. That transfers the textures and heights of the control sector to the leaf sectors around the tree that match the same Tag ID of the control sector. With a bit of variation with the control sector heights, the top row of leaves is a bit taller than the lower row of leaves.

Another neat thing about 3D floors is that the 3D floors that are created are treated as solid level geometry. You can be blocked by them, stand on them, and even crouch under that lower row of leaves.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dieting Hippo posted:

It has UDMF map support, which is a Doom map format that has extra functionality like 3D floors that can create room-over-room spaces. You'll usually only ever see it supported fully in GZDoom though, I'm not too aware of other sourceports that support it.

That doesn’t really have anything to do with UDMF which is just a more flexible text-based format as opposed to the old binary map format(s). Eternity and at least one of the PrBoom engines are working on UDMF support (or have it already). The format name is Universal Doom Map Format after all.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was more familiar with build, but that handled overlapping rooms by having each room be a sector and only rendering sectors that you can see from neighboring sectors. It held up as long as you weren't able to see two overlapping sectors at the same time. Tier Drops was a good demo of this.
Later BUILD versions expanded this; Shadow Warrior can show multiple floors at once.

As to how far Doom has come, there was a converter project to transform Quake maps to Doom maps that I think is abandoned now. The resulting map would probably be incomprehensible in an editor and would run like trash compared to Quake, but a lot of it could technically be done. I think the main purpose of the tool was that creating 3D geometry was a lot simpler in a Quake editor versus a Doom editor.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Here is a link a GZDoom level I made with a three level room with an elevator.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asd3aUvQSXMxp8ceS5X-JLvaxZqMZw?e=qqLSHF

It's amazing what you can do with 3d floors and Zscript in GZDoom as long as you plan ahead.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

david_a posted:

That doesn’t really have anything to do with UDMF which is just a more flexible text-based format as opposed to the old binary map format(s). Eternity and at least one of the PrBoom engines are working on UDMF support (or have it already). The format name is Universal Doom Map Format after all.

You are 100% correct that GZDoom isn't the only one using UDMF, but practically the only support for it at the moment is ZDoom ports and Eternity (ok, and Vavoom/Doomsday). I was actually surprised to see Eternity had support for it (Doom Wiki says it has full support and it has to be manually enabled as an option in UDB) but then again I don't hear much about EE unless it's Heartland :v: It's also got support for vanilla Doom mapping, but WADs made in UDMF format will not be playable on vanilla Doom/ports.

It's a format that is universal, but is most closely associated with GZ/ZDoom.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

david_a posted:

Later BUILD versions expanded this; Shadow Warrior can show multiple floors at once.

As to how far Doom has come, there was a converter project to transform Quake maps to Doom maps that I think is abandoned now. The resulting map would probably be incomprehensible in an editor and would run like trash compared to Quake, but a lot of it could technically be done. I think the main purpose of the tool was that creating 3D geometry was a lot simpler in a Quake editor versus a Doom editor.

If you're patient or crazy, you can build a quake / quake 2 map and export sections of the map as a polygon group. This allows you to use a basic actor where you can draw sections of the quake map as static meshes. Although you may have to get a bit creative with materials for lighting data.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dieting Hippo posted:

You are 100% correct that GZDoom isn't the only one using UDMF, but practically the only support for it at the moment is ZDoom ports and Eternity (ok, and Vavoom/Doomsday). I was actually surprised to see Eternity had support for it (Doom Wiki says it has full support and it has to be manually enabled as an option in UDB) but then again I don't hear much about EE unless it's Heartland :v: It's also got support for vanilla Doom mapping, but WADs made in UDMF format will not be playable on vanilla Doom/ports.

It's a format that is universal, but is most closely associated with GZ/ZDoom.

Yeah it's kind of a pedantic distinction in practice but Quasar (Eternity author) was one of the co-authors of the spec. The point of it is that we can have one flexible text format instead of a bunch of "proprietary" binary formats for every port. I'm mainly familiar with it because I'm coding a level generator for fun and doing stuff in UDMF is nicer than the binary format.

Edit: Here's the BSP2Doom tool I was talking about. I forgot that it could also "bake in" lightmaps into Doom.

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 11, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hated trying to do room-over-room stuff in Duke 3D. The editor is top-down, unless you're in first person view, of course, so any little detail that you had to change couldn't really be done easily once your sectors were in place.

You had to create your rooms, FINISH THEM, and then drag everything over another thing, assuming that you've got the height set up properly. Oh, you forgot to do something that can't be fixed in first person, and you've already placed your rooms and objects on top of one another? Goooooood luck sorting that poo poo out.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I wonder why the Doom community is so much more alive and creative than the Quake one. Or so I heard.

I know the Quake community, and maybe is because content creating takes more work since is pure 3D. Also the Quake community is pretty insular, with the mappers in one place, quakeworld in other place, and so on. And maybe because the Quake community was a bit too protective of the original game, departs from the original game where rare.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tei posted:

I wonder why the Doom community is so much more alive and creative than the Quake one. Or so I heard.

I know the Quake community, and maybe is because content creating takes more work since is pure 3D. Also the Quake community is pretty insular, with the mappers in one place, quakeworld in other place, and so on. And maybe because the Quake community was a bit too protective of the original game, departs from the original game where rare.

Quake was certainly popular but Doom is evergreen. Doom is a game recognized fairly easily even by non-gamers. I assume that has something to do with it; Doom is just way more popular still, and that would carry over to the modding and mapping population of each respective game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

easier to mod doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's much easier to make and implement sprites for things like new weapons/monsters and doing total conversions than it is to do the same with 3d models, and that alone is what drives a lot of doom modding and why you can find a million totally new games built entirely in gzdoom or whatever nowadays