Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

eSporks posted:

Don't get too happy. Lichen are still a slave economy with the fungus producing absolutely nothing except rental space. Lichen are landlords.

the fungus is the infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Construct affordable housing out of the bodies of landlords

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Construct affordable housing out of the bodies of landlords

imagine the smell!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

hahahaha https://twitter.com/JarnesBon/status/1477483370930126851

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Mesopotamians, 4000 years ago: We did it guys. We formed Mesopotamia.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
"just using your hand" also the superior way to clean your rear end after pooping

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

monkey dons red army cap as Thus Spake Zarathustra plays

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I haven't read his book cover to cover but I think the guy who brought this idea into the mainstream was Thomas Seeley and this is his book on the subject: https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691147215/honeybee-democracy (I think you can also find this book pretty easily online)

People used to think bees were a hive of drones serving or following the queen in some way but it turns out that actually the queen doesn't do much except specialized reproductive labour, and in fact worker bees solve problems on their own through collective decision-making, with the perfect example being that they choose new hive locations by workers going out as scouts, scouting potential hive locations, then returning and explaining how good the location is and how to get there through dance, and then the swarm collectively decides to follow the bee who dances best and establish a new hive there

Here's one passage from the book that talks about dispelling the monarchy myth:

basically people from ancient times have looked at beehives operating smoothly and efficiently despite having tiny brains and said "ah this must means they're a monarchy or a hive mind where every worker is slavishly obeying directives from a despotic authority" but in actual fact it's just a bunch of autonomous workers making a bunch of optimal individual decisions that add up to collective efficiency (Seeley thinks of them as a single organism that acts collectively despite possessing many bodies, the same way a human body is a single organism that acts collectively despite being made up numerous individual cells, bacteria, neurons, etc.) because they listen to each other, prioritize collective needs, make big decisions democratically, and then through the principle of democratic centralism go along with the collective best decision.

Thanks.

Bees are cool.

fatelvis has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Jan 5, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's just like that nelly furtado song

🎶 i'm like a beee, i do democracaaaaaaay

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

paul_soccer12 posted:

Mesopotamians, 4000 years ago: We did it guys. We formed Mesopotamia.

they fulfilled the decision requirements and spent 150 political power to do it

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

the great podcast The Relentless Picnic has been doing a series about Kaczynski, Thoreau, the image of the Cabin, why it and they are bad, and also why we find it and they so compelling.

Sounds cool, that kind of Podcast is that? Never heard of it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's like if radiolab (hold on let me finish) was made by exactly three smart neurotic guys mostly for themselves, so they don't care what anyone else would find interesting, and they are mixing their personal emotional investments and conversations into analysis of the subject, with some real thought given to editing and sound production (but an amount of labor consistent with it being done by exactly three random guys without significant sponsorship), rather than just riffing until their timer says they have enough for an episode.

(no disrespect meant to that approach, i'm just drawing a neutral contrast)

e: i say, listen to the first cabin episode and see what you think. i think it's great of course, but nothing is for everyone

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Jan 6, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

KomradeX posted:

I've been seeing in more online left places a trend of people saying Ol'Ted was right, and I keep coming back to that Kaczynski was an anti-communist right winger, so I guess the perfect role model for anarchists

It's been a while since I've read Mr. K but I remember his main problem with libs being how pathetic and ineffectual they are

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LiberationPill/status/1479238502529191937?t=wGRv7E_fqP1u7u3FP6v0FQ&s=19

This is what the PYF thread regulars have been reduced to

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/OcculticAcid/status/1479536004054896645

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the abolition of the department of public works / department of transportation will organically ensure that no one can ever go that fast on roads again. another problem solved!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

white house detonates and collapses and all the anarchists fall in supplication as the national mall slowly transforms into one gigantic bike lane

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
key takeaway from the pandemic: centralized state responses are bad

https://twitter.com/AnarchistFed/status/1479864736162398212

https://twitter.com/12ozFitz/status/1479864780445962242

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I finally understand the problem, anarchists think Western democracies have strong, functional central governments

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the last 40 years have dissolution of the commons and private interests taking over as the state weakens everywhere, with the results being laid bare in the pandemic. we need more of this - a 'leftist'

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they love this "build a new world from the ashes of the old" poo poo so much

utterly psychotic, can't help themselves from proclaiming loud and clear how much they want mass genocide and population culling (see also the anarchists in this very thread)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
anarchists want more of what we have now. our kids being sold as blood bags to peter thiel, but leftistly

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

utterly psychotic, can't help themselves from proclaiming loud and clear how much they want mass genocide and population culling (see also the anarchists in this very thread)

all hospitals must be destroyed

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

A nation of the truly free, God dammit! A land where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around! Like a phenix rising form the ashes a new America will be born, wild and untamed! We'll make America Great Governmentless Again! *kicks a tankie in the chest to the sudden, inexplicable roar of a crowd*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

all hospitals must be destroyed

The doctor-patient relationship is a hierarchy

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any updates on when these people are gonna blow up a pfizer factory

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

It always boils down to their individual rights.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
people are nice to each other, institutions abuse them

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

so true

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pnac attack posted:

what about institutions that force people to be nice to each other and individuals who are quite hateful and violent?

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

what about institutions that force people to be nice to each other and individuals who are quite hateful and violent?

an institution can't know what "nice" is and their misguided/disingenuous attempts do to something along those lines are what's packed 8bil of us into the hosed up rage in the cage situation that gets those kind of hosed up adaptations from people

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

ontologically similar to fascism. you combine anarchism with social darwinism and you're cooking with proto-fascism of the early 20th century

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

I've been seeing in more online left places a trend of people saying Ol'Ted was right, and I keep coming back to that Kaczynski was an anti-communist right winger, so I guess the perfect role model for anarchists
his manifesto would also sometimes pop up at anarchist bookfairs in zine format

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

pnac attack posted:

You're the guy arguing for mass genocide itt

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dreddout posted:

You're the guy arguing for mass genocide itt

dang that's messed up, you better quote where i did that and show me the error of my ways

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
send them to fish camp

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

https://twitter.com/Agorizona/status/1479262645744136195

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

pnac attack posted:

dang that's messed up, you better quote where i did that and show me the error of my ways

ok

pnac attack posted:

a global population of ~800 million remains, the survivors are humbled and grateful, climate change is over

pnac attack posted:

a pretty sick system coated this whole rock in way more dudes than it can handle, acknowledging that doesn't make it my fault

it sucks so many people are dependent on them, but that doesn't make the empires choking out the planet any more sustainable or less evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
quick bonus for the guy who tries to explain everything in song lyrics

pnac attack posted:

i feel really bad for everyone who's worldview is shaped by memetics instead of lived experience