Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

It would be fun to have a second byob space shuttle tho

E: Holy gently caress that's a bad snipe. I tried to edit in a cat gif but I'm not smart enough to do that so here's that pithy smiley instead
:69snypa:

Ass-penny fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

rear end-penny posted:

not alcohol but I have the same thing when I meet people without any obvious signs of mental illness. like, what went so drat right in your childhood that your brain just... let's you be happy?

Lol, those ppl creep me the gently caress out. I always assume I'll be blindsided eventually by some hidden insanity that's so hosed up they have to hide it.

Then again in the same vein of things, it always seems weird to me when people have never gotten into a fight. Might be just how things are here, but I can't imagine having never gotten into a fight or even punched somebody.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Grunt mangia, weed goblins

Goons Are Gifts

My landlady just called me to ask how I'm doing and if I needed a recipe for a nut chocolate cream cake, which obviously I said yes to

Sometimes I wonder if my life is normal

Ass-penny

Cardi BYOB posted:

Grunt mangia, weed goblins

i pass the torch to you, I'm still up from last night.

GaG that is not normal, we still love you!

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Goons Are Great posted:

My landlady just called me to ask how I'm doing and if I needed a recipe for a nut chocolate cream cake, which obviously I said yes to

Oh I would also like this recipe, she sounds very kind!!!

I feel like we should be sending you delivery tacos like 38 times a day.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

rear end-penny posted:

i pass the torch to you, I'm still up from last night.

GaG that is not normal, we still love you!

hey still up buddy

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ass-penny

Goons Are Great posted:

good landlady. make me think about a Ramshackle Glory song.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

I just spent a few minutes trying to think of a worse version of SAForums... everything I thought of was pretty much just the internet. It's kinda crazy that you can learn about almost anything on here without it being a bunch of bullshit/useless comments. I avoid the more serious forums normally, I'm mostly here for the laughs, but I might actually just build searching the forums into a terminal command because I'll have better luck than on a normal search for knowledge or discussion than the rest of the inet. Obviously, I expect to be linked out at some point, but isn't that the general purpose of contributory posting?

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

nesamdoom posted:

Lol, those ppl creep me the gently caress out. I always assume I'll be blindsided eventually by some hidden insanity that's so hosed up they have to hide it.

Then again in the same vein of things, it always seems weird to me when people have never gotten into a fight. Might be just how things are here, but I can't imagine having never gotten into a fight or even punched somebody.
Oh hey, I am one of those people, and I can explain me at least, I am a robot with no emotions except for a deep sense that everything isn't as good as it ought to be. I had one punch once when I was like 12, and two non-fights even earlier than that, one of which the other person was swinging at me and I had my hand on their forehead that somehow prevented them from reaching me until after a minute or so they gave up and/or recognized that I wasn't even the person they thought, and one where the person shoved me in the chest when there was a bench behind me that I should have fallen into but instead I sprung back and their own shove made them stumble backwards after which they left me alone.

So the hidden insanity in my case is that I'm probably a sociopath, I don't think I have any particular compunctions about murder or suicide or anything, I just also don't care strongly enough about things to actually do a murder. If there *was* something I cared strongly enough about to start a fight over, I wouldn't start a fight, I would do a poison or a car bomb or something, because what's the point in half-assing a remedy and putting yourself in danger, or looking like an idiot like the kids who attacked me when we were young.

It's honestly quite a pleasant combination to live with, and has pretty good practical consequences, but the "nothing is good enough" is a bit tiring.

Twenty Four

pixaal posted:

Yeah isn't Tomtom a reference to it? I always assumed it was but Google doesn't seem to agree (it doesn't disagree either but that's just proof no one else seems to see it so I'm probably wrong)

That would make sense, name wise, but apparently it's a totally different company from a totally different country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TomTom

Twenty Four

rear end-penny posted:

24 people browsing byob

my people, browsing byob :)

Prof. Crocodile

checking into the thread and realizing that i haven't seen xcheopis in a while, and hoping that she's doing well.

Robot Made of Meat

Hello -- Is this the page where we're all getting banned?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Prof. Crocodile

going to qcs to start an indignant thread about how i didn't get banned unjustly

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

nut chocolate cream cake

this is just a free association of words describing delicious things, and I'm here for it

here let me try:

ice cream salted caramel cointreau raspberry hand pies

now someone pls make this happen

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Goons Are Great posted:

I'm not supposed to tell you this but I will...

you're the dreamer!

sig by owlhawk911

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I only hit somebody twice as an adult and once it was a proud boy type guy at a big public scuffle who had been grappling at me and once it was a guy who was cornering me and grabbing at my chest and crotch on the subway, who I shoved away. I felt so terrible about it even though obviously I don't like that kind of guy. I never know how to convey this without sounding like a really evil, petty person, but it made me as sad and pained to see blood coming out of a guy's nose and know "that's my fault" as it would have if I'd gotten punched myself or if I'd punched my grandma. In the aftermath it was less "I can't believe I got sexually harassed, what a creep" and more "I can't believe I hurt somebody." There are two big memories I have regular recurring nightmares about and one is getting assaulted at gunpoint and the other is this schlubby, sweaty guy looking at me with blood on his face looking betrayed that I could have elbowed him in the face, which I know is silly, he was there for a fight and to rough up people he thought wouldn't fight back, but on a deep and very wretched level of my psyche I still wish I'd just let him rough me up rather than remember that "why did you do this to me?" look.

Of course I don't like people being in far-right groups, but I'm ashamed to say I think I like causing pain to people even less. I couldn't sleep for like a week and I felt guilty for both doing it and for feeling guilty. But in the aftermath I decided there are probably some people who are meant to fight and some people who are meant to help and I'm happy just being a helper. There were two times in my adult life by token where I got attacked and beaten up pretty badly and in each case the amount of pain and inconvenience and feelings of shame and powerlessness involved in getting better totally convinced me that I never want to make another human being feel like that.

I totally understand that this is a flaw in my brain, and the product of growing up fairly pampered, spoiled, and rotten, but it would take a great amount of something to make my brain make the connection between "uh oh" and "I need to make a fist and chuck it."

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 9, 2022

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

How Wonderful! posted:

I only hit somebody twice as an adult and once it was a proud boy type guy at a big public scuffle who had been grappling at me and once it was a guy who was cornering me and grabbing at my chest and crotch on the subway, who I shoved away. I felt so terrible about it even though obviously I don't like that kind of guy. I never know how to convey this without sounding like a really evil, petty person, but it made me as sad and pained to see blood coming out of a guy's nose and know "that's my fault" as it would have if I'd gotten punched myself or if I'd punched my grandma. In the aftermath it was less "I can't believe I got sexually harassed, what a creep" and more "I can't believe I hurt somebody." There are two big memories I have regular recurring nightmares about and one is getting assaulted at gunpoint and the other is this schlubby, sweaty guy looking at me with blood on his face looking betrayed that I could have elbowed him in the face, which I know is silly, he was there for a fight and to rough up people he thought wouldn't fight back, but on a deep and very wretched level of my psyche I still wish I'd just let him rough me up rather than remember that "why did you do this to me?" look.

Of course I don't like people being in far-right groups, but I'm ashamed to say I think I like causing pain to people even less. I couldn't sleep for like a week and I felt guilty for both doing it and for feeling guilty. But in the aftermath I decided there are probably some people who are meant to fight and some people who are meant to help and I'm happy just being a helper. There were two times in my adult life by token where I got attacked and beaten up pretty badly and in each case the amount of pain and inconvenience and feelings of shame and powerlessness involved in getting better totally convinced me that I never want to make another human being feel like that.

I totally understand that this is a flaw in my brain, and the product of growing up fairly pampered, spoiled, and rotten, but it would take a great amount of something to make my brain make the connection between "uh oh" and "I need to make a fist and chuck it."

Both of those sound completely reasonable times to hit someone to me. But I grew up where fights were a night in jail at most and most people were dicks. I've had people yank open a car door when I was sleeping and start yelling at me, my natural reaction was hitting them as hard as I could then getting out. But, I get it's something about how people grow up and where somewhat matters. Lol, maybe my life has been hosed up enough I don't understand not having a hosed up life.

B33rChiller

Both of these seem to fall within the range of completely normal human reactions. I've been informed recently about other, less commonly referred to stress reactions. It can be flight, fight, freeze, or even nurture. Apparently some people get incredibly caring when panicked.
I have never hit anyone intentionally. I've been attacked 3 times, and each time it was a total surprise. I was speaking with someone, and they had an over the top reaction to whatever I said, with no apparent warning sign. Each time was confusing. Just me thinking "why?" and doing my best to dodge or deflect fists and kicks until they tired themselves out.
From there, I've kind of arrived at the same perspective of why half measures? If I am forced to physically defend myself or family, I will, but hitting someone isn't likely to help anything.
I put a lot more effort into watching out for where trouble might come from, and trying to steer clear.

The time we had someone break into our house, I was faaaar more concerned for his well being than our own. Dude was bare rear end naked, walked through our front door at 8pm the day after Xmas. He started ranting random English words without sentence structure, and had no idea what to do with the blanket I handed him. Welp, time to shove this guy out the door, lock it, and poo poo, we better call 911. I had a very distinct thought of "I really hope he doesn't decide to come back in through the sliding glass door. I really don't want to have to hurt this guy"
We were living on a fairly large rural property, miles from town too.

Eta the happy ish ending is that he went away in the back of an ambulance, rather than a cop car.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 9, 2022

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
How Wonderful!

B33rChiller posted:

Both of these seem to fall within the range of completely normal human reactions. I've been informed recently about other, less commonly referred to stress reactions. It can be flight, fight, freeze, or even nurture. Apparently some people get incredibly caring when panicked.

Oh yeah, I heard about those extra ones from a guy at my comic book store of all people, except he said "friend" instead of "nurture" for the alliteration. I am definitely a nurture type when it comes to arguments and simmering tensions, when I'm surprised by a physical fracas I think my instinct is "slink away gently" (in Philly I'd very very often see people spoiling for trouble and I'd usually just see the issue a few blocks away and go ah, I think I'll just take another route) or play along if that seems like the safest bet (if a guy with a gun wants the $5 I have in my picket, I dunno, go with god my dude and don't spend it all in one place).

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Good morning yob. I was bored and made a thing for you. I wanted to spend more time on it and make it a bit more enjoyable with birds flying and camera moving around and other fun stuff. Maybe I'll add in hammock kitty. I don't know. But enjoy the song Supersede by Carbon Based Lifeforms

https://streamable.com/l/b0jevm/mp4-high.mp4

Bad Video Games

I got into a lot of fights as a kid, mostly just bullying poo poo. A lot of shoving and tripping and wrestling though I would lose my poo poo and get violent. Which is what the other kids wanted really. My last fight was when I was 18 at the pizza place I worked at because I realized I could go to jail for this poo poo. That was over 20 years ago now.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

I noticed that when I stopped going around groups of people then groups of people stopped wanting to fight me. So, I just chill with my kid and don't gotta deal with people or jail anymore.'
Very relaxing to only hang out with a toddler.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Never thrown a punch, never been punched. But, most of my twenties I probably deserved to be punched a lot.

How Wonderful!

Thinking back on it, I got shot in the leg when I was young and I think that really put me in the mindset of "wow, getting hurt by somebody else really sucks."
I'm also a tiny 5'3" shrimp lady with the upper body strength of a bowl of mapo tofu, my hypothetical brawling career was smothered in the cradle.

alnilam

How Wonderful you are not evil for feeling bad for hurting someone, even if they were among the more reasonable times to hit someone

ty manifisto

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Viginti Septem posted:

Good morning yob. I was bored and made a thing for you. I wanted to spend more time on it and make it a bit more enjoyable with birds flying and camera moving around and other fun stuff. Maybe I'll add in hammock kitty. I don't know. But enjoy the song Supersede by Carbon Based Lifeforms

this is really cool, thanks for postin

Manifisto

Viginti Septem posted:

neat! what did you use to make the vidya?

ty nesamdoom!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Sarah Cenia posted:

this is really cool, thanks for postin

:agreed: :sun:

Ass-penny

I think there is certainly a place for hitting another person, such as the scenario How Wonderful! described. I salute you being above this most primitive form of human interaction, but I think sometimes it is justifiable.

VS that's a hell of a jam/video you made, thank you for putting this into my day.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

alnilam posted:

How Wonderful you are not evil for feeling bad for hurting someone, even if they were among the more reasonable times to hit someone

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
sometimes people can push to the point where they've earned it

even though as a rule it's not good to punch people

Ass-penny

Shout out my other roommate, without whom I would have gone to work today without having eaten anything but coffee.

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

I think there is certainly a place for hitting another person

i mega agree and the place is inside sports. when i was in highschool i played rugby because puberty is a nightmare and i NEEDED to fight. rugby was an extremely good rage outlet.

boxing has always seemed really fun to me but i don't think brain injuries are a good idea.

Viginti Septem posted:

thank you

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Old Woman Island

How Wonderful, I don't want to minimize anything you said at all, but you have to be American, right??

A big long post about throwing punches and then just being like oh yeah and I got shot ! lol

I somehow made it through growing up and through my 20s in Australia without ever getting in a fight despite some close calls. Never had much of an issue in Europe.

Old Woman Island fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 10, 2022

How Wonderful!

Womp posted:

How Wonderful, I don't want to minimize anything you said at all, but you have to be American, right??

A big long post about throwing punches and then just being like oh yeah and I got shot ! lol

I somehow made it through growing up and through my 20s in Australia without ever getting in a fight despite some close calls. Never had much of an issue in Europe.

Yeah, although my immediate family never had guns in the house, my mom strongly dislikes them. I got shot when I went camping with some relatives and one of the kids was being super irresponsible with a rifle which went off by mistake. It wasn't a serious injury but it was enough to make me not like the stupid things, and on the plus side that part of the family was permanently nice to me from then on out.

Stoner Sloth

Womp posted:

blessed are the peace makers or something - that's amazing getting to 20 in australia without a fight imo

also How Wonderful you have nothing to be ashamed of, you're just a good and wholesome person and ilu friend :love:

i ah... sadly cannot say the same, been in more physical fights than i care to remember. in my defense it was almost always in self defense, the few times it wasn't was beating the snot out of someone who'd harassed women.

some of them were pretty bad fights, been stabbed a few times, had people smash beer bottles on my face and been attacked people with an iron bar and with a baseball bat on separate occasions - tbh mostly that was family members particularly my brother

brains are weirdly wired in those situations - i think most people feel guilty because part of the brain doesn't gently caress around and just assigns responsibility to you even when it's not your fault because it's quicker. think that often contributes to ptsd.

I can't say i feel guilty about most of the fights i've been in, maybe that's acclimatization or rationalizing it or maybe it's just the way i'm wired - it kinda worried me at times because there is some... I don't know... there's a certain "joy" in everything being reduced to the simplicity of violence and drawing blood from someone trying to hurt you or other people.

kinda scary but then again I've never gone looking for fights and think they're loving stupid - where ever I could I talked my way out of them and I haven't seen my brother in a couple of years now cause i got sick of that kinda poo poo

Sarah Cenia posted:

sometimes people can push to the point where they've earned it

even though as a rule it's not good to punch people

i am wary of this logic because it kinda justifies people who choose not to control their anger hitting people because they were 'pushed' - seen that more times than someone legit being bullied until they snap and even then, while i don't have sympathy for the bully, it's still a poo poo response as opposed to walking away.

imo the only time violence is really justified is self defense or defense of others - which includes punching nazis and similar

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

neat! what did you use to make the vidya?

After Effects and various plugins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

there is weirdly something to the connective power of a scrap. one of my best friends marks the transition from acquaintance to true friend at the day we were snowball fighting in a backyard, and he smoked me in the face with a snowball and i responded by throwing a handful of fresh powder into his eyes and tackling him.

there is something deeply instinctual about hashing things out in a wrassle, i think, to the point that even a fully peaceful world would have aggressive sports or media.

we are mega monkeys with all sorts of cool toys but it doesn't alter the reality of our animal nature. we are gonna feed, gently caress and fight, but civilization is directing these instincts into productive, or at least non destructive ways

but truly,

Stoner Sloth posted:

blessed are the peace makers or something

i guess my stance is that pacifism rules as an ideal, but some folk don't have the benefit of turning the other cheek, and it's necessary to raise a fist for them.

a big difficulty in combating violence is that no ethical argument can defeat the reality that winning a fight is extremely fun and satisfying.

i miss lacrosse. i got to smash people with a stick and was praised for doing it well. what a hosed up sport.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!