Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I wish there was some kind of check to make sure there actually is a system worth colonizing loving anywhere not in the corners of my extended map. Playing with adjusted sector is entirely on me of course but I'm getting kind of sick of finding stars with 1 jungle planet and nothing else. A colony needs to not be too far from the core, preferably have a gas giant with at least 2 planets around it, it needs to have a gate, a good/decent mining planet, a food planet and various mods to make the colony items work. It also needs volatiles and organics. I play with terraforming and console commands and I'm leaning on them more than I should to find anything remotely usable.

A system doesn't need to be perfect but at this point I'm better off grabbing a giant star system and terraforming everything into not sucking. And I was trying to get a colony early this playthrough but that apparently involves surveying half the sector. I'm trying to not just cheat through it and I keep getting shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
From what I've seen, there are typically ~5 perfect systems per sector, but dozens of OK systems.

So unless you're lucky, your choice is either early or perfect, unless you're willing to put in a lot of exploration time.
...which seems to be OK as a game system?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I've ever seen a habitable planet that isn't a 250% hazard military virus shithole that has a gate. And it's annoying because the autopilot doesn't take gates into account, so you want it in your home system preferably.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Brandfarlig posted:

I wish there was some kind of check to make sure there actually is a system worth colonizing loving anywhere not in the corners of my extended map. Playing with adjusted sector is entirely on me of course but I'm getting kind of sick of finding stars with 1 jungle planet and nothing else. A colony needs to not be too far from the core, preferably have a gas giant with at least 2 planets around it, it needs to have a gate, a good/decent mining planet, a food planet and various mods to make the colony items work. It also needs volatiles and organics. I play with terraforming and console commands and I'm leaning on them more than I should to find anything remotely usable.

A system doesn't need to be perfect but at this point I'm better off grabbing a giant star system and terraforming everything into not sucking. And I was trying to get a colony early this playthrough but that apparently involves surveying half the sector. I'm trying to not just cheat through it and I keep getting shut down.

i use this https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21800.0

you have to use the console and since it's a command line query it can be pretty unintuitive, but you only gotta do it once per playthrough so i guess the lack of a gui makes sense

make sure you save before you use it as it will mark all systems as searched. just find a good system and reload

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Thanks. I did use that mod but the best systems I found were basically along the edges of the map.

That's the biggest downside with using adjusted sector, missions tend to be placed very far out instead of at the usual distance.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've been sleeping on the Tech Mining for a long time but holy gently caress it's great. I've been slapping on down in my temporary deep space colonies and it's just great passive income of BP's, weapons and colony items. It's a great final building to go along with the Waystation and Commerce/Roider on your dump outposts.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a list of blueprints so I can see what I am missing?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Not that I know of but I think you could list them with console commands if you have that installed. You could also look through the list of hulls/variants in game but not every ship will appear there. Depends on how many mods with hidden super ships you're playing with.

While I'm whining about colonies there needs to be some way to exchange colony items for other types. It wouldn't make any kind of plot sense but sometimes you find like 4 soil nanites. They sell for decent money but a couple of hundred k 30 k isn't poo poo compared to a synchotron or whatever. Again, console commands solves this easily but even if you've found 10+ colony items and you "should" have found the one you want by then it feels hollow. You could make it cost 2 of the same item or 3 different ones for instance.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 9, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice if there were quest chains for a bunch of stuff, like randomly generated ones, you can ask some dude "hey I want to find X" and they charge you a bunch of money and then you jump through a load of hoops and then you get the thing.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Talk to the lady with the book in random planetary bars, that's basically what she is.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

WarpedLichen posted:

I mean I keep clearing pirate stations harassing my colony, but those are light years away. How lazy do you have to be to not sweep your own system?

Shhhhhh

If the Hegemony (or other factions) could take care of pirates by themselves they wouldn’t need to offer bounties! Don’t rock the boat!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Zurai posted:

You realize 1 station for 1 planet would make it more whack-a-mole, not less, right?

This would be 1 station for a planet across the entire sector and encourage them to get closer to your systems, that way anything on the other side of the core worlds would prioritize all the core worlds over your ones. If you had a lot of planets in 1 system they'd basically put a station next door then multiple stations further away they go. If you had a cap of how many stations they could build in a year you could clear out multiple stations at once then not have to deal with new ones for potentially years.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

SpaceDrake posted:

It's worth pointing out that this is not the true end of the story. We will definitely be getting at least a "chapter 2" in a future update (and it's likely the art Baumgart has been teasing and today's new weapon teaser are related to this; the implementation of hyperspace stuff was also likely legwork for it) and possibly more. It's one of the last few things that needs to be finished before the game is 1.0-ready.

So far, from the teaser images and from the load of new story portraits the recent update stealth-added, it looks like chapter 2 will deal fairly heavily with the Luddics and probably following up on some of our conversations with good Brother Cotton in chapter 1. So Atopian is probably going to be pretty satisfied with that update :vv:

Oh yeah that I knew, it was more like the whole quest you're having to put up with her and then in the end Courouse and Zal peace out, gargoyle trolls her, and you're like welp, looks like my job here is done and you walk out like a badass.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Benagain posted:

Talk to the lady with the book in random planetary bars, that's basically what she is.

She hasn't spawned in my run and also what she offers is extremely random, I also don't know if she even guarantees stuff or whether she just points you to where stuff already is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

She conjures stuff out of thin air. And she can eventually (with monetary investment and I believe levels?) get some VERY rare stuff on offer, like XIVth Legion blueprints (she is, in fact, afaik the only way to obtain this) or a Pristine Nanoforge.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

She conjures stuff out of thin air. And she can eventually (with monetary investment and I believe levels?) get some VERY rare stuff on offer, like XIVth Legion blueprints (she is, in fact, afaik the only way to obtain this) or a Pristine Nanoforge.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Really?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha yeah i've been loving ignoring her multiple times, time to invest!

If you're starting a new game and haven't found a good system yet you can use the exploration quests to get a good idea of where to start searching. I did some tests in my current game to see how reliable they were in predicting good systems and i've found multiple really nice systems but following the, 'scan habitable planet' quests. I'm definitely gonna do this in my next run with the expanded sectors.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

She hasn't spawned in my run and also what she offers is extremely random, I also don't know if she even guarantees stuff or whether she just points you to where stuff already is.

With all the bar events added by mods, I wonder if bar menu gets too filled in for some events to show. Starship Legends storytellers seems to be less common, for an example.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

qnqnx posted:

With all the bar events added by mods, I wonder if bar menu gets too filled in for some events to show. Starship Legends storytellers seems to be less common, for an example.

You can ensure you get more bar events if you want. data/config/settings.json, etc.

code:
"minBarEvents":1, # display limit per bar
"maxBarEvents":3, # display limit per bar
"barEventProbOneMore":0.5, # prob1: 1, prob2 = 1 * this, prob3 = prob2 * this, etc. 
"maxTotalBarEventsAsFractionOfEventTypes":0.5,

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Look what I found :sickos:

...sadly, you can’t eat ships with the central circle. :negative: Even with the smallest ships in there (like a kite or a small corvette) it won’t let you unphase to trap them inside.

Still, it’s a pretty neat phase ship since it can use its temporal shell system in conjunction with its phase cloak. Watching it zip around and pull time-accelerated 360 noscopes to delete ships in the blink of an eye sure is something.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

BitBasher posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Really?

Yes, always pay for the historian, she can even put stuff into fully explored systems.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Complications posted:

You can ensure you get more bar events if you want. data/config/settings.json, etc.

I edited this to 2-5. I feel this should be standard.

Griz
May 21, 2001

in my current game the historian gave me Paragon and XIV Legion blueprints.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Complications posted:

code:
"minBarEvents":1, # display limit per bar
"maxBarEvents":3, # display limit per bar
"barEventProbOneMore":0.5, # prob1: 1, prob2 = 1 * this, prob3 = prob2 * this, etc. 
"maxTotalBarEventsAsFractionOfEventTypes":0.5,

Oh nice, I should have poked around more config after hold alt to transfer stuff and way upping the combat size max.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you run with a lot of factions mod I also recommend upping the max contacts to 10.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Sandweed posted:

Without pirates why would we need to hegemony to protect us.

But the pirates protect me from the hegemony ;_;

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I want to use all my AI cores for new colonies. How much trouble am I going to get if I do this on the edge of the sector?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

I want to use all my AI cores for new colonies. How much trouble am I going to get if I do this on the edge of the sector?

Hegemony gonna start minding your business the same wherever you do it, only real difference is you'll get a lot more advance notice before they arrive

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Brandfarlig posted:

What I do when I start a new game is save the game, then use the "survey all" command in Console Commands, then click around to make sure there's an attractive colonization target near the core. Then if there is, I reload my save from before I surveyed everything. I guess I should start using that Explore the Galaxy mod that was posted a little bit upthread, sounds like it would save some time.

I guess this is technically cheating but it's too frustrating to devote a bunch of time to a save only to discover that there's nowhere good/convenient to colonize. There's still more than enough game in Starsector even if you fudge it a little bit to guarantee yourself a solid system. I wouldn't recommend this approach to a new player but after exploring the sector so many times I'm down to save some :effort:.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Good idea, I should start doing that. With mods it's fixable but if you play without terraforming good luck lmao. Cryosleepers and shunts also need to be turned way up if you ever want them to be relevant.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

What I do when I start a new game is save the game, then use the "survey all" command in Console Commands, then click around to make sure there's an attractive colonization target near the core. Then if there is, I reload my save from before I surveyed everything. I guess I should start using that Explore the Galaxy mod that was posted a little bit upthread, sounds like it would save some time.

I guess this is technically cheating but it's too frustrating to devote a bunch of time to a save only to discover that there's nowhere good/convenient to colonize. There's still more than enough game in Starsector even if you fudge it a little bit to guarantee yourself a solid system. I wouldn't recommend this approach to a new player but after exploring the sector so many times I'm down to save some :effort:.

if I'm lazy I dont even survey all, I just devmode, disable sensors, then look at the map - the systems are color coded according to the goodies they contain and their level of attractiveness

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if your bar for "worth colonizing" isn't literally multiple habitable worlds in the same system as a gate, cryosleeper and a hypershunt then there's uhhh something severely wrong with your game config, and you should probably reinstall instead of doing all that bullshit

like, 2/3 of red/orange beacon systems should have a habitable world and pretty good resources just for starters, and normally there's about a dozen viable industrial centers sprinkled around the map on top of that

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if your bar for "worth colonizing" isn't literally multiple habitable worlds in the same system as a gate, cryosleeper and a hypershunt then there's uhhh something severely wrong with your game config, and you should probably reinstall instead of doing all that bullshit

like, 2/3 of red/orange beacon systems should have a habitable world and pretty good resources just for starters, and normally there's about a dozen viable industrial centers sprinkled around the map on top of that

My bar is not super high - basically a viable industrial center close to the core worlds where I can at least build a comm relay. Flying through hyperspace is the worst part of this game and I want to do as little of that as possible. I'd rather spend 10-20 minutes snooping around at the start of a campaign than get hours in before I realize the nearby systems are trash.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I set the speedup to 5x in settings.json and most of my complaints about hyperspace went away.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Help me out, what's the difference between the enforcer P and the regular enforcer?

Also remember that you can have the speed up time option be a toggle.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

tracecomplete posted:

I set the speedup to 5x in settings.json and most of my complaints about hyperspace went away.

Absolutely fucks your RAM whatever if you have a bunch a mods though.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's painted red.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Has anyone ever used neural link with a Radiant? Looking for where to go after having 2 Apollyons jacked into my head power wise.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Telsa Cola posted:

Absolutely fucks your RAM whatever if you have a bunch a mods though.

I have about 40 mods going? Though I'm a former JVM whisperer, so I'm playing on Java 8 with G1GC set up and have given it a preposterous amount of RAM. (Doing that isn't hard though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The hypershunt and cryosleepers just need their radius bumped to 50, i've found both of them loving 16ly away from my system. The hypershunt kinda makes sense but at the same time beaming power 1 ly vs 10 isn't a huge leap so yeah have a drop but the radius should still be huge. The cryosleepers make absolutely zero sense, it shouldn't have a range at all.

It's weird that there's things like the fusion lamp but i can't build an orbital mirror/sun shade or move of the domain era arrays. I can't wait for a proper terraforming update because you could do things like harvest ice from the belt and have steps that ultimately result in terran worlds. I'd love to see bigger populations too ultimately seeing size 8-10 worlds with more industries on them.