Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Orange Devil posted:

The problem with the consent of the people currently living there argument is that it ends up justifying past atrocities. It’s like saying the Israeli settlements ought to belong to Israel because we took a referendum and the colonialist settlers democratically decided this way.

So aggressive conquest and genocide are wrong, but if you do these things anyway then they will result in a reality in which this line of argument will end up supporting you in maintaining this new reality you have created. If we accept such arguments then I fear we are basically inviting states to use this loophole and thus encouraging awful poo poo. Doesn’t seem great.

Ok I reread this you’re right

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 12:12 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

The problem with the consent of the people currently living there argument is that it ends up justifying past atrocities. It’s like saying the Israeli settlements ought to belong to Israel because we took a referendum and the colonialist settlers democratically decided this way.

So aggressive conquest and genocide are wrong, but if you do these things anyway then they will result in a reality in which this line of argument will end up supporting you in maintaining this new reality you have created. If we accept such arguments then I fear we are basically inviting states to use this loophole and thus encouraging awful poo poo. Doesn’t seem great.

This is exactly the liberal mindset. Except for some reason I doubt that in the future, when public opinion inevitably swings towards Beijing in HK, liberals will be so eager to accept public opinion as the end all be all of territorial legitimacy.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

according to dnd logic the Donetsk republics have a right to exist in defense against cultural genocide, since the Ukrainian government tried doing away with non-Ukrainian language in schools

This is actually true though. Ukraine also banned the political parties that represent Russian speakers.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Red and Black posted:

This is exactly the liberal mindset. Except for some reason I doubt that in the future, when public opinion inevitably swings towards Beijing in HK, liberals will be so eager to accept public opinion as the end all be all of territorial legitimacy.

By their own logic Xinjiang ought to belong to China in perpetuity once the CPC succesfully concludes its genocide there. A position which I do not think they actually hold, thus demonstrating a flaw in the logic.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Red and Black posted:

Man I love getting probed in D&D for doing literally nothing wrong. I’m a pro at it by now

nah mate you did the worst thing anyone can do in D&D, you had a correct/leftwing opinion

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Red and Black posted:

Man I love getting probed in D&D for doing literally nothing wrong. I’m a pro at it by now

You were right

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The liberal mindset is 'the deals that WE make YOU sign at gunpoint are obviously good and valid forever, but not the other way around, no you're not allowed to do that stop doing it'

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
it's almost as if liberals are racist apologists for neocolonialism

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Very weird story from Kazakhstan

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1480067896608964612?t=hNpXHjVCNIO6bl49eBzUOg&s=19

Captured rioter gives a filmed confession that he's from Kyrgyzstan, and was paid $200 to take part in the riots.

Only it turns out he's a famous Jazz musician from Kyrgyzstan who was there for a concert and would likely not need $200. What's going on?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
He got grabbed by a mob and said whatever he thought they wanted to hear?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thatfatkid posted:

nah mate you did the worst thing anyone can do in D&D, you had a correct/leftwing opinion

then once more unto the breach, for even death can die

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m honestly still shook that there are people who still unironically believe that China doesn’t have a right to take back lands that were actively taken from them by gunpoint like Hong Kong even when all they’re doing is following an Unfair contract’s stipulations, it’s amazing.

it would seem many people at least in the west have memory holed the history of europe, britain, russia, america and japan carving up china into little colonial fiefdoms akin to what happened to africa

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Agrajag posted:

it would seem many people at least in the west have memory holed the history of europe, britain, russia, america and japan carving up china into little colonial fiefdoms akin to what happened to africa

Also shitloads of genocide. Especially from the Japanese.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Agrajag posted:

i haven’t heard anyone say the handover in 1997 was chinese imperialism until yesterday in that thread, or that it doesn’t count because the qing dynasty no longer exists. i think the people in that thread are driving themselves insane

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Judakel posted:

My friend, if you believe in the concept of words having any kind of meaning then no, the US is not less democratic than China. By definition of the word democracy. No matter what Chinese people believe to be true or not.

If I was in your position I would step back for a day or two from whatever information bubble you are stuck in and reexamine what the gently caress it is doing to your brain and connection to objective reality and if it's really healthy fore you and where all of this is going mid to long term

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We are a democracy

Our one party system is better than your one party system because my video games arent censored. Checkmate tankie

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there was also a cambridge study finding out the same thing some 10 years ago i think, so it's not new in any way

fake edit
lol, and i cannot stress this enough, lmao:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...4D4893B382B992B posted:

All in all, we believe that the public is likely to be a more certain guardian of its own interests than any feasible alternative.

Leaving aside the difficult issue of divergent interests and motives, we would urge that the superior wisdom of economic elites or organized interest groups should not simply be assumed. It should be put to empirical test. New empirical research will be needed to pin down precisely who knows how much, and what, about which public policies.

Our findings also point toward the need to learn more about exactly which economic elites (the “merely affluent”? the top 1 percent? the top one-tenth of 1 percent?) have how much impact upon public policy, and to what ends they wield their influence. Similar questions arise about the precise extent of influence of particular sets of organized interest groups. And we need to know more about the policy preferences and the political influence of various actors not considered here, including political party activists, government officials, and other non-economic elites. We hope that our work will encourage further exploration of these issues.

Despite the seemingly strong empirical support in previous studies for theories of majoritarian democracy, our analyses suggest that majorities of the American public actually have little influence over the policies our government adopts. Americans do enjoy many features central to democratic governance, such as regular elections, freedom of speech and association, and a widespread (if still contested) franchise. But we believe that if policymaking is dominated by powerful business organizations and a small number of affluent Americans, then America’s claims to being a democratic society are seriously threatened.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
End stage america is an neverending wallowing in VOTES

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

fart simpson posted:

i haven’t heard anyone say the handover in 1997 was chinese imperialism until yesterday in that thread, or that it doesn’t count because the qing dynasty no longer exists. i think the people in that thread are driving themselves insane

the qing dynasty logic made my jaw drop, if you used that for 10 seconds on Europe/the americas you’d get hilarious results but it only applies to China somehow

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, legal succession is a thing (Qing-RoC-PRC).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Return all countries to their 957AD borders, the last legitimate distribution of power

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

skipmyseashells posted:

the qing dynasty logic made my jaw drop, if you used that for 10 seconds on Europe/the americas you’d get hilarious results but it only applies to China somehow

the one that really got me was the post that seemed to be arguing something like, tibet was conquered by ethnic mongolians and the prc is ruled by ethnic han, so there isnt a line of succession there? i dont know what point he was trying to make but it was making me feel uneasy. also this lol:

quote:

No one sat down after World War 2 and asked the "Chinese people" in various places how they would like to be governed and by whom.

lmao.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe he’s arguing that China wasn’t ruled by Han Chinese during the Yuan dynasty and therefore it wasn’t China. I’ve heard a bunch of morons make this kind of argument before. There was even a guy named Bill Hayton who wrote a book based partially on the argument. “The Invention of China” IIRC

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh dear, did anyone ever tell those people that all nation states were invented?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In this house, we believe in the Treaty of Westphalia

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I never bothered to ask them.

I just remembered though that the BBC’s correspondent in Beijing took a similar position recently wrt the recency of “China” as a concept

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1434043860242604035?s=20

I guess it’s not super related to what we’re talking about. But it’s funny to remember how inept the people meant to be informing us are

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Jan 9, 2022

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The liberal mindset is 'the deals that WE make YOU sign at gunpoint are obviously good and valid forever, but not the other way around, no you're not allowed to do that stop doing it'

Sweeety. Sanctions are not force.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1480208158912040963

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Crowsbeak posted:

Sweeety. Sanctions are not force.

BDS is antisemitism, however.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

But at what cost?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClintEhrlich/status/1479525188307980290

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

president xi do the needful and push the economic organization stat into +2 planned economy for total antiplague measures

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClintEhrlich/status/1479927694674612230

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

liberal agitators linked to the american establishment jesus gently caress how could it be no way the shock, the shock of it all

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:lol:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hunter Biden continuing his streak as the greatest living American

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Hunter Biden continuing his streak as the greatest living American

he's the crackhead right

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the boy gets around, all hell breaks loose, there you will find the quiet american

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
next time Hunter is interviewed in his home he's wearing an extremely ornate pair of embroidered slippers