Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nobody in Ontario votes except people with money and property because there is no hope so nothing changes except to get worse because there is no hope so nobody votes except the worst and/or most gullible creatures so nothing gets any better because there's no h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Here I am in BC, watching you guys hope the NDP will save you and having a hearty lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
At some point, perhaps after it becomes clear that your best showing in almost 30 years resulted in a majority government for the opposition, you have to ask if maybe you're not the party for Ontarians.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Here I am in BC, watching you guys hope the NDP will save you and having a hearty lol

Who said anything about save? I'd settle for not being the PCPO.

The OLP was never good, and they became quite a bit worse, terrible even, over the course of a decade and a bit, but they're no longer a party so who gives a gently caress what Del Duca is up to.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 9, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

infernal machines posted:

Cool, well you get to watch in horror as Ontario's election unfolds, knowing what awaits you next year and exactly how much two solid years of demonstrable, preventable fuckups matter to the voting populous.

It'll be fun.

So maybe hold off a bit on slapping those cancer warning labels on beer. At least until the 2022 election isn't a fresh, horrible memory.

Powershift posted:

Doug Ford is expected to win and it will be sad but expected when he does.

Can't wait to have the ill-conceived, back-of-a-napkin Ontario Line shoved down our throats instead of the better (but currently shorter) relief line. Oh, and paving a bunch of farmland so we can build a 400-series highway to a golf course.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The only line that concerns me right now is the one outside the ER

Alctel posted:

How is horwath still leader after the shambles of the last election

"Remove anyone who could supersede you" is like, the second square on the evil overlord roadmap

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

So maybe hold off a bit on slapping those cancer warning labels on beer. At least until the 2022 election isn't a fresh, horrible memory.

IDK, I think there's a Deco Labels contract waiting in the wings

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

IDK, I think there's a Deco Labels contract waiting in the wings

So the labels will be unreadable if light shines directly on them?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They'll probably peel off from condensation too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If we re-elect The Coward Douglas Ford, we deserve what we get.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

If we re-elect The Coward Douglas Ford, we deserve what we get.

I suspect we will see a record low turnout for the next provincial election and that will net the Cons either a very tight majority or a very healthy minority win, mostly on the back of the voting elderly that Ford didnt murder and the landowning boomers who have nothing better to do with their time than vote to destroy the future after theyre gone.

I really hope Im wrong though and we see a surge of young voters showing up to toss his bloated rear end.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I called that ford would win in the spring of 2020 to my friend and I haven't seen a single reason to doubt my prediction.

Maybe if ford goes on tv and says "I hope you all die" and says some slurs, and then the camera pans over to a giant cartoon switch that reads "EVERYBODY'S HEALTH AND SAFETY" and then ford switches it to "OFF" and the power goes out across the province he might lose.

Though it really depends on how close to the deadline that happens, could still rebound.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Horwath is the Canadian queen of bag fumbling. Regardless of policy, she has had so much media time since the last election and everyone loving hates her even more now. I say this as someone that voted for her and probably will again but holy poo poo she sucks at being a party leader

Also here's a cool map of the ontario legislature that highlights why York is awful:
https://twitter.com/ksituan/status/1480008754976497666?s=20

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 9, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Whoa now, there's plenty of blame for Eastern and Central Ontario too

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Franks Happy Place posted:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mr. Apollo posted:

In other news the Alberta MLA NDP finance critic wants the private sector to figure out a solution to high energy prices

https://twitter.com/sphillipsab/status/1479543367121915907?s=21

NDP advocating for small government and the invisible hand of the free market. What a world.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. Nice

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 10, 2022

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The only silver lining from Ford's inevitable re-election is that we might finally see Horwath resign.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

quote:

I don't know if there is a better solution by this point, unfortunately. Frankly I think it's too late for a zero Covid policy, which with the benefit of hindsight looks like the only sane response in the first place. Case levels are too high, vaccination no longer prevents spread, lots of people just won't comply with stringent public health measures anymore, and countries with whom Canada shares high levels of trade and travel will never do a zero Covid policy so even if we tried it would likely be impossible to maintain. By this point our best bet might be hoping that somebody develops a unicorn long-lasting pan-coronavirus vaccine that prevents both severe illness and infection, and then hope to reach herd immunity by vaccinating everyone who isn't immunocompromised with it, but even that might be out of reach given the combination of antivax sentiment and public health fatigue (anecdotally, I know people who are now triple-vaccinated and have been more or less trying to comply with public health measures, but are getting fed up with all of it and saying they don't want to keep getting booster shots every 3-6 months).

A bit late to the discussion, but one item that is missing that we have for Influenza but not for covid, are effective antiviral medications we can administer to individuals within the short time span of them testing positive for Influenza - such as Tamiflu. Should such a product exist for Covid (and I do mean clinically effective) it may not be as effective at reducing the spread of the virus among the population, but it does have an impact on hospitalizations and adverse effects. That being said, antivirals only reduce the severity if ghey are administered within a 48 hour period - and they do not do much to reduce overall spread within a population.

It may be that our Covid strategies will be similar to influenza, in that each year there may be a new strain, and we try to model a booster shot based on what we think that strain will be...

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Pfizer has developed an effective antiviral, but lol if you can't get a test you're not getting that. Hasn't been approved in canada yet either.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
One of the things that makes you eligible for PCR testing is a medical professional considering giving you a COVID treatment, so thankfully at least it's possible to get tests for treatments. The official guidance on treatments right now though requires you to either be in really rough shape or have a fairly select list of conditions that would make you highest risk for bad outcomes.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 9, 2022

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Even once it's approved it'll probably take a while to get any significant stock here since Paxlovid is a ton of pills. Each treatment course is 30 pills total over five days. Can't see it being used for anything but the highest risk cases for a while.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

If anyone's curious, here's treatment guidance in Ontario - https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Clinical-Practice-Guidelines_Update_20220108.pdf. It gives you a relatively idea of who's considered at higher risk and how that translates to treatment. Doesn't currently include Paxlovid but I'd assume it would be prioritized according to the same tiers.

(this is the science table, so I don't know if carries any official weight, but I'm sure something similar would be used in most hospitals)

If you're not in one of their high-risk categories, congratulations, your recommended course of treatment is "reassurance".

enki42 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 9, 2022

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Even once it's approved it'll probably take a while to get any significant stock here since Paxlovid is a ton of pills. Each treatment course is 30 pills total over five days. Can't see it being used for anything but the highest risk cases for a while.

Isn’t paxlovid just an intensive course of HIV meds that happen to stop Covid from reproducing?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Isn’t paxlovid just an intensive course of HIV meds that happen to stop Covid from reproducing?

My understanding is one part of it (Ritonavir) is in use in existing HIV antiviral treatment regimens but the other (Nirmatrelvir) is new.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The ritonavir is just there to increase the blood serum retention of the fun stuff, it doesn’t actually do anything for covid.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Interesting argument I heard from someone wanting to close off all immigration today:

“I’m not racist because foreigner isn’t a race”

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

qhat posted:

Interesting argument I heard from someone wanting to close off all immigration today:

Is this a covid thing or they just hate 'foreigners'?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

qhat posted:

You'll never get a straight answer, but I'll bet a million dollars Americans and Brits, and a bunch of other Western countries "don't count" as foreigners.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's a no brainer choice:
Increase your tax base by drawing from a world wide talent/knowledge/experience pool, while simultaneously expressing compassion for those who need to flee their homes due to factors outside their control, or you could do it via homegroan wheat kings / oilmen / loggers.

Having been raised by and around "old stock" shitheads, I would say we've have enough of us, let's see where else we might gain strength from.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qhat posted:

What was this meant to accomplish? (Closing off all immigration, not the argument with an idiot)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

B33rChiller posted:

Here's a no brainer choice:
Increase your tax base by drawing from a world wide talent/knowledge/experience pool, while simultaneously expressing compassion for those who need to flee their homes due to factors outside their control, or you could do it via homegroan wheat kings / oilmen / loggers.

Having been raised by and around "old stock" shitheads, I would say we've have enough of us, let's see where else we might gain strength from.

Somewhere, Rex Murphy just had a heart attack and keeled over.

I approve.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I ran into an English expat here who was of the opinion that Brexit is good because the UK had to keep foreigners from stealing the jobs.

They've got all the self-awareness of a jellyfish.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So in BC it feels like someone has looked at our available ICU space, case numbers and omicron sickness percentages and then eyeballed South Africa and Denmark and done the calculations and figured that by letting 'er rip through schools and stuff we can still avoid completely flooding ICUs and emerge out of the other side of the peak a lot quicker, and this would be less harmful than more slow, extended lockdowns. Which I can kind of see, as mental health breaks and deaths from drug overdoses are rocketing skywards.

No idea if it's the right idea or not, I guess we'll see in 3 - 4 weeks! Hold tight everyone.

PT6A posted:

I ran into an English expat here who was of the opinion that Brexit is good because the UK had to keep foreigners from stealing the jobs.

They've got all the self-awareness of a jellyfish.

As an English expat myself, it's always awkward meeting another one as there is a very good chance they will be completely insufferable. Referring to themselves as an expat instead of an immigrant is normally a good sign of this.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 10, 2022

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The nuts on twitter are fearmongering about Trudeau wanting to invoke the Emergency Act

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What was this meant to accomplish? (Closing off all immigration, not the argument with an idiot)

Guy was basically arguing that Canada needed to close it’s borders because housing was too expensive and hospitals and schools were being overrun with immigrants. Standard nonsense that xenophobes perpetuate, which I guess is a more accurate description of them although there’s so much overlap that there is realistically no difference. Morons like to get hung up on technicalities like that though since it prevents the argument progressing to a point where their real motivations are exposed.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

enki42 posted:

You'll never get a straight answer, but I'll bet a million dollars Americans and Brits, and a bunch of other Western countries "don't count" as foreigners.

Oh yeah for sure, his next talking point was that Indians are criminals because half of them pay bribes. No mention about how these people are actually victims of crime as opposed to the perpetrators of it.

Once all of the reasonable sounding arguments made by these people fall away under their own logical contradictions, usually you’re just left with a hatred of foreigners, coloured foreigners in particular, in general.

qhat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 10, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone who complains about immigrants stealing are jobs should have to spend a week picking mushrooms while living in a squalid shack with a dozen other like-minded individuals. I'm selling this pitch to CBC as a flipped script version of Undercover Boss.

(Well, the actual inverse where the lowest-paid employee is made CEO for a week could also work).

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

ZeeBoi posted:

The nuts on twitter are fearmongering about Trudeau wanting to invoke the Emergency Act

I'm a latecomer to twitter. Point me in the right direction so I may clash swords with fling poo poo at the inbreds. Merci!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm a latecomer to twitter. Point me in the right direction so I may clash swords with fling poo poo at the inbreds. Merci!

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Emergency%20Act%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends