Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I have the actual Jeremy Sainsburys deliver my stuff personally, and whilst they say its a partnership I find it easier to play John and Lewis off against one another to see which one wants my, substantial, business more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Having been converted to Lidl by my wife a few years back you are absolutely insane if you do your shopping for everyday household items in Sainsburys, Tesco or Waitrose. It’s literally half the price for a big shop.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My sister's mother-in-law is a dreadful snob. Talks down to people, deeply concerned with appearances, the worst kind of middle-class Hyacinth Bucket. She works in a Waitrose as a checkout operator and I don't disdain that work *at all*. I've done that work, it's hard. But she's very, VERY careful to emphasize to everyone that she works at WAITROSE. She saves the bags and takes them with her to Sainsburys and Asda so people don't see her with a lower-class bag. She's hilarious.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Can't remember the last time I shopped in Waitrose or M&S.

Do all my shopping at the local farmers market.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s an extremely English trait to worry that people are going to pass judgement on your social and class status based on a plastic loving bag

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's true though, if I see you walking around with disposable carriers I'm going to assume you are absolutely minted.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I shop in Sainsbury's or Tesco because they're the only places that let you scan your shopping and bag it up as you go round

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asda also let you do that, though whether they have rolled it out everywhere or not I don't know.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I shop in Sainsbury's or Tesco because they're the only places that let you scan your shopping and bag it up as you go round

Waitrose as well.

Also Waitrose self-checkouts don't weigh what you've scanned for some bizarre reason.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I shop in the coop because it's near (and has a decent cooperative copartnership system) except for things like detergent and cleaning supplies and bulk pasta and paper towels where QD quality discounts or Aldi or the online win out for price.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesco & Lidl here, decent discounts for me on the Tesco clubcard and Lidl always has items at reasonable prices.

edit: as always with me nowadays; "it's even cheaper if you don't buy it" appears to be my mantra (used to be a horrid impulse buyer). :blush:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 9, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Very glad I'm not the only one to get mad at this

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1479976288240685056?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Doesn't John Lewis somewhat treat its staff like human being also? I remember when I was younger it was regarded as one of the better retail jobs to have.

If you kept it. John Lewis closed a bunch of their stores during the pandemic. The Aberdeen store is currently in use as the vaccination centre.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Language is like the virus, always mutating.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

whats wrong with jab? Isn't that what theyve always been called? Is she a brit or from somewhere else where they don't say jab?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I can't shop in Lidl. The Aisle of Wonder is too dangerous for me to be near, I can't keep going in for a dozen eggs and some fruit and coming out with an arc welder, a watercolour painting set, and a set of thermal underwear. I've even stopped going to the retail park in Charlton (formerly one of my "Need shopping but also a nice long walk" destinations) because the siren song of a Lidl *and* an Aldi is too strong for my weak will to ignore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look if you know of a problem that cannot be solved by the application of a 200 piece screwdriver set, a textured rose print toilet seat, and many dodgy chinese arc welders then I don't know what it is.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The queues always annoy me in Lidl or I might shop there more often.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
For me it's more the sheer terror of trying to bag my stuff up faster than the checkout person is scanning it. It's a stressful game I never win.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

whats wrong with jab? Isn't that what theyve always been called? Is she a brit or from somewhere else where they don't say jab?

I say jab. :blush: It's wrong?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't shop in Lidl. The Aisle of Wonder is too dangerous for me to be near, I can't keep going in for a dozen eggs and some fruit and coming out with an arc welder, a watercolour painting set, and a set of thermal underwear.

Sounds like Costco, which I have in the past described as the only place you can get a chainsaw, a trampoline and a birthday cake under the same roof.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I mentioned this a few weeks ago and the consensus was that it was part of an effort to use plain language, and that most people found nothing objectionable about it. I was sort-of persuaded in that I think that my objection to it is probably irrational now, but it nevertheless persists.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I was born a Tesco man and I will die a Tesco man

There has been a Lidl open up the same distance to me but every time I've been there the queues have been massive so gently caress that noise.

Jab is perfectly normal and has been used for ages though? Like my mum was a nurse and always referred to getting jabs etc. when I was a kid.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh yeah I'm being completely irrational but it still annoys me for some reason I can't quite place

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah I'm being completely irrational but it still annoys me for some reason I can't quite place

Because it's infantilising.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

There has been a Lidl open up the same distance to me but every time I've been there the queues have been massive so gently caress that noise.

Jab is perfectly normal and has been used for ages though? Like my mum was a nurse and always referred to getting jabs etc. when I was a kid.

Americans have started using it, originally the antivaxers because somehow it sounded scarier than "shot", and for a while it was this weird shibboleth that had hastagresistance mutants flipping out at fubpee weirdos on Twitter, which was nice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

You're gonna hate that I call my blood donations "visiting Dracula's castle" then.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
What I unreasonably dislike is when you go for a flu jab and the nurse says 'sharp scratch'. It doesn't feel anything like a scratch :argh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but if you tell americans they're going to get some shots then half of them will hide under the table so it's understandable.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tangential Prince Andrew and Peter Mandelson news

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1480093487840305157

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1480093490826596352

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1480093492089176066

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oh dear me posted:

What I unreasonably dislike is when you go for a flu jab and the nurse says 'sharp scratch'. It doesn't feel anything like a scratch :argh:

Yeah it feels like having a needle stuck in your arm. Which is much less unpleasant, scratches hurt for ages afterwards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobstar posted:

Yeah it feels like having a needle stuck in your arm. Which is much less unpleasant, scratches hurt for ages afterwards.

Yeah I never got that. If anything it feels like my bone's being scratched most of the time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

EvilHawk posted:

There's an old kids song, wonder if it was just my area or not.

"Lets all go to Tesco's,
where X buys all his best clothes,
nah nah nah nah"

With alternate line 'Where X hokes the bins for his best clothes' which I think is funnier.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

goddamnedtwisto posted:

hastagresistance

What kind of weird Spanish is 'hasta gresista'- oh it's a typo :shobon:

Oh dear me posted:

Sharp Scratch is the name of the spell that activates the vaccine magic in your blood obv.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Americans have started using it, originally the antivaxers because somehow it sounded scarier than "shot"
"They're calling it a shot/jab/booster because they're not legally allowed to call it a vaccine because it's actually a gene therapy."

Despite the fact that if you go for your Covid jorts and use the secret phrase from The Magna Carta "I carry an epi pen, could I see the allergen sheet please?" they'll go through each line of a datasheet that clearly says "[company] [name] SARS-CoV-2 mRNA Vaccine" at the top with you.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't shop in Lidl. The Aisle of Wonder is too dangerous for me to be near, I can't keep going in for a dozen eggs and some fruit and coming out with an arc welder, a watercolour painting set, and a set of thermal underwear. I've even stopped going to the retail park in Charlton (formerly one of my "Need shopping but also a nice long walk" destinations) because the siren song of a Lidl *and* an Aldi is too strong for my weak will to ignore.

I still have a Raclette I bought in LIDL 8 years ago in germany that i have never even plugged in but have taken it through 4 countries...its got a heating coil, some super hefy cooking plates and 8 little non stick pans for melting raclette and or nibblies in that go under the heating element like a grill.

One day... One day i will host a dinner party with lots of little cheesy nibblies and things and it will be the pride of the table. At which point I'll plug it in and it'll either burn the house down or be so laughably ineffective it won't even melt the cheese.

I don't even own a table to have a dinner party on because lol. People visiting.

I now want to go browse the aisle of wonder =(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

therattle posted:

That would be jabby wabby.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Notoriously childlike, those boxers.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Let me call you on my walkie talkie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

I still have a Raclette I bought in LIDL 8 years ago in germany that i have never even plugged in but have taken it through 4 countries...its got a heating coil, some super hefy cooking plates and 8 little non stick pans for melting raclette and or nibblies in that go under the heating element like a grill.

That's an impressive feature list for a cheese.