Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s worse CAUSE of the pandemic since there’s nothing to loving do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

It's only been 3 years since Sekiro. Compare that against FFXIV or Halo Infinite. From seems extremely well managed compared to most game studios.

Honestly "let's announce our biggest game ever 3 months after Sekiro" was always a little hubristic. Even ignoring the pandemic, if they'd waited until late 2020 to announce it that would've been a perfectly normal wait. It's just that Dark Soul 2/Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 releasing within 2 years of each other really distorted expectations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I imagine Elden Ring will get at least 1 DLC, probably 2.

I'm happy my favorite game series is souls and not Silent Hill or whatever.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Brandfarlig posted:

I imagine Elden Ring will get at least 1 DLC, probably 2.

I'm happy my favorite game series is souls and not Silent Hill or whatever.

I think its way too early to start thinking about the amount of DLC. For one thing From has never been consistent with the amount that each game gets:

Demon's Souls/Sekiro: 0

Dark Souls 1/Bloodborne: 1

Dark Souls 3: 2

Dark Souls 2: 3

For all we know Elden Ring is gonna have four just to gently caress with the number further

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
my favorite series was Castlevania and I’m glad its spirit lives on in souls games and countless indie games

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

AnEdgelord posted:

I think its way too early to start thinking about the amount of DLC. For one thing From has never been consistent with the amount that each game gets:

For all we know Elden Ring is gonna have four just to gently caress with the number further

Of course it's early but it'd be weird if it didn't get any. Sekiro is already an outlier in gameplay and I'm not surprised that they wanted all resources to focus on Elden Ring.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

AnEdgelord posted:

Pretty clearly an inverse relationship between game quality and number of DLCs.

Disclaimer: This post is a joke. The poster accepts that Bloodborne is one of the best games in the "series" and that Dark Souls 1 is probably better than Demon's Souls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tolth posted:

Dark Souls 1 is probably better than Demon's Souls.

What? No

I love DS1 but just no

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

looking at From's titles by year, I think what it is is that I got spoiled by DS2 in 2014, Bloodborne in 2015, and DS3 in 2016. I had plenty to play in this genre until Sekiro in 2019, I only ran out after that!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

skasion posted:

What? No

I love DS1 but just no

I can't see how that's a controversial take? Everybody thinks DS1 is much better than DeS. Everybody. Because it is.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vintersorg posted:

It’s worse CAUSE of the pandemic since there’s nothing to loving do.

There's Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3 Remastered, Yakuza 4, Yakzua 5, Yakuza 6, Judgement, Yakuza: Like a Dragon , and Lost Judgment.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DS1 has higher highs than DeS and much better bosses, the lows are lower but not by much tbh.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

hatty posted:

DS1 has higher highs than DeS and much better bosses, the lows are lower but not by much tbh.

Tower of Latria, though. Still the best awful prison-lab in the series, and Maneaters are a better boss take on the dual-boss than gargoyles.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think for all its flaws DeS definitely feels like a more aesthetically and narratively cohesive and atmospheric game than dark souls is.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

hatty posted:

my favorite series was Castlevania and I’m glad its spirit lives on in souls games and countless indie games

Castlevania HD in Unity exists and is free. More characters and stages than the original even.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hatty posted:

Same :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I can't see how that's a controversial take? Everybody thinks DS1 is much better than DeS. Everybody. Because it is.

:wrong:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

:wrong:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Armored Core on the PS1 is a classic, it's the game that first gave me customization brainworms. Most of the other third person shooters of the day were incredibly shallow and lacked depth, but AC was the first to give the player a lot of choice in their loadout and playstyles, and it helped that the gameplay was really, really loving good. The targetting & controls worked despite the lack of joysticks back then.

Armored Core, and Project Phantasma were my first FROM games and I played the everloving poo poo out of them. I had never played anything like that before, they just felt so loving experimental to me. My friends and I got super competitive at versus matches with our custom mechs. Anyways, I will poo poo my pants if Miyazaki directs an AC title, it's like two gaming legacies smashing together in my brain.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

And no matter how tender, how exquisite, a lie will remain a lie.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Ds1 has the Artorias fight, DeS can't compete with that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hey, don't turn a cold shoulder. I didn't mean to do you wrong, really! C'mon now, we've got better things to fret about!

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

Ds1 has the Artorias fight, DeS can't compete with that.

Artorias really is that good, but: False King Allant.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Artorias is underwhelming, but O&S holds up super well. DS1 doesn't have a single boss that's as cool as Storm King, or as clever as False Idol, or as innovative as Old Monk.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What's clever about false idol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What's clever about false idol

It rewards being perceptive and feels very original.

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
DS1 gets it just off the power of dropping into the Abyss and seeing the Humanity sprites imo. very hard to top that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Controversial take but, Bed of Chaos>Dragon God. I hate the Dragon God

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Demon's Souls remake is better than DS1 because it isn't ugly as gently caress.

DS3 is also God drat ugly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hatty posted:

Controversial take but, Bed of Chaos>Dragon God. I hate the Dragon God

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
DS3 is uglier than it needs (?) to be but I think a lot of that is due to the ashiness of it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

calling ds3 ugly for being ashy is like calling bloodborne ugly for being bloody

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DeS remake has a weird look to it I’m not sure what it is but I don’t like the art style. I think Sekiro and Bloodborne look more appealing even if they’re behind in a technical sense. I suspect I’d prefer how Elden Ring looks too if I’d allow myself to look at gameplay.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

calling ds3 ugly for being ashy is like calling bloodborne ugly for being bloody

I'm talking about the fugly sky boxes, backgrounds and textures.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Dark Souls 3 is a technically beautiful representation of an ugly world. The entire world is just one giant manifestation of the word "gnarled". Irithyll has a nice vista.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Volte posted:

Dark Souls 3 is a technically beautiful representation of an ugly world. The entire world is just one giant manifestation of the word "gnarled". Irithyll has a nice vista.

I'm in irithyll rn and it's what triggered me going drat this looks like poo poo.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Unrelated but is there a cooler recurring enemy than the silver knight? I don't think so.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm in irithyll rn and it's what triggered me going drat this looks like poo poo.

i'm sorry jbp, your condition is terminal :(

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Blood is life, ash is death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i'm sorry jbp, your condition is terminal :(

The curse of being granted (functional) eyes