Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Final Fantasy VII (original). My first time with the game, not counting a couple aborted attempts over the last few years that never got too far past leaving Midgar. I don’t have much FF experience (I played the 1+2 GBA ports way back in the day but don’t remember whether or not I beat either of them, and beat XV a couple years back, and I think that’s it) and this is such an iconic game that I figured I needed to play it at some point. I liked it a lot, the active battle thing took some getting used to but once it clicked with me I enjoyed it a lot, and I really liked most of the characters and the story. I totally understand why the game has the reputation that it does and its got me rally excited to play further in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Final Fantasy VII (original). My first time with the game, not counting a couple aborted attempts over the last few years that never got too far past leaving Midgar. I don’t have much FF experience (I played the 1+2 GBA ports way back in the day but don’t remember whether or not I beat either of them, and beat XV a couple years back, and I think that’s it) and this is such an iconic game that I figured I needed to play it at some point. I liked it a lot, the active battle thing took some getting used to but once it clicked with me I enjoyed it a lot, and I really liked most of the characters and the story. I totally understand why the game has the reputation that it does and its got me rally excited to play further in the series.

chuck...have you never played an ff

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

chuck...have you never played an ff

Like I said, I’ve beaten XV and played 1 and 2 over half a lifetime ago but that’s it until now. I didn’t really get into JRPGs until the last few years so I’ve got a huge list of them I still need to get to

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Like I said, I’ve beaten XV and played 1 and 2 over half a lifetime ago but that’s it until now. I didn’t really get into JRPGs until the last few years so I’ve got a huge list of them I still need to get to

dude i'm so fuckin pumped for you. which one are you thinkin next

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell yeah

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

dude i'm so fuckin pumped for you. which one are you thinkin next

I’m trying to decide between just going on numerically and doing 8 or starting the pixel remasters with 1

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

I’m trying to decide between just going on numerically and doing 8 or starting the pixel remasters with 1

I'm gonna suggest something a little different and say play FFT if you haven't, it counts

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm so jealous. Ff7 is a brain wipe game for me, no question about it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also Chuck if you’ve never played Chrono Trigger please play it immediately.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

nice. cant wait to try it myself

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

I'm gonna suggest something a little different and say play FFT if you haven't, it counts

I’ll definitely have to do that sometime, I never played the original but I borrowed FFTA from a friend in middle school and really liked it although I don’t think I made it too far before giving it back

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm so jealous. Ff7 is a brain wipe game for me, no question about it

I kept kicking myself for not playing it back when it first came out, it would have been crazy experiencing it with no prior knowledge whatsoever

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

play 6 before 8 imo. 8 is fine but 6 is on a similar tier as 7 and you should check it before you start dipping into the b-sides. FFT next is good too i'm just talking about in the numbered entries.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Final Fantasy is a cool series because every player has a different Best One. People say "oh it's just the one you played first" but that's reductive as hell. The games are so diverse that they resonate differently with everybody, and I think that's not a flaw because it keeps nerds arguing, it's instead a wonderful achievement because you can play the whole series and you WILL find your personal GOTY in there unless you, like, hate the concept of JRPGs.

Personally 6 leaves me kinda cold but I love 9 (world and story), 5 (mechanics) and 2 (it's broken but super fascinating). IMO an "ideal playing order" would be to pick what looks interesting either in presentation, or from what people tell you they love about it, and see if it also is your jam. Don't force yourself to go by a certain order and don't force yourself to finish one that you don't really enjoy.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ignore everything he just said and do what i said.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

this and this

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The ideal playing order is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and then 15, because that's the order numbers go.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

4. Gorogoa.

I agree with what the others have said, it's a cool short puzzle game with nice graphics and a clever idea.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Fungah! posted:

dude i'm so fuckin pumped for you.
yep.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

excellent choices. but hell, you can't go wrong any way you choose to go

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

and 5. Celeste (All A, B, and C Sides but I'm going to leave Farewell for now).

This was my second playthrough, and I'm now convinced that Celeste is the best platformer I've ever played.

Here's my stats:

It's should be more like 15 hours, I left the game on pause for 4 hours at one point and it looks like it still counts that time.
My first playthrough was something like 50 hours for reference.

If you like platformers and somehow haven't tried this yet, you really should.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

extremely this, but congrats on ff7, it's so iconic and now at some point you can enjoy the remake. looking forward to your takes on 8 or the PRs.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raging Loop

Truly bizarre but pretty good

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

[trollishly] You should play Dirge of Cerberus as it is a continuation of the story of FF7

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
never played chrono trigger as well and am debating if i should play that or FF4 next, i think i remember hearing the version released on steam though is AIDS

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Nutmeg posted:

never played chrono trigger as well and am debating if i should play that or FF4 next, i think i remember hearing the version released on steam though is AIDS

you should play CT, and you should emulate the snes version

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this. the steam/iOS port is probably bad. the DS one is probably fine if you ignore the bonus dungeon but just go with the original. under no circumstances play the playstation version.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse

Loved what it changed from 4. weaker story but not as aids as people would have you believe. The Steven dlc is amazeballs but I wish you got a reward. Dagda should be in smt5.

The final dungeon is one of the worst designs I've ever seen

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:hai:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

this. the steam/iOS port is probably bad. the DS one is probably fine if you ignore the bonus dungeon but just go with the original. under no circumstances play the playstation version.

th playstation version gets the badass animated scenes though and iirc theres a patch to deal with the slowdown. but if theres not yeah the playstation version is hell

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

th playstation version gets the badass animated scenes though and iirc theres a patch to deal with the slowdown. but if theres not yeah the playstation version is hell

The cutscenes are also in the DS version if you wanna watch them on a 3 inch screen

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mbt posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse

Loved what it changed from 4. weaker story but not as aids as people would have you believe. The Steven dlc is amazeballs but I wish you got a reward. Dagda should be in smt5.

The final dungeon is one of the worst designs I've ever seen

That final dungeon is so bad and it’s completely meaningless to the story. The actual story as it relates to the characters and everything that came before it is finished and then Steven just shows up out of nowhere as everyone is celebrating and says “good work nanashi. But if you want to put this game on your Games Beat list there’s one more thing you must do…”

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The cutscenes are also in the DS version if you wanna watch them on a 3 inch screen

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

That final dungeon is so bad and it’s completely meaningless to the story. The actual story as it relates to the characters and everything that came before it is finished and then Steven just shows up out of nowhere as everyone is celebrating and says “good work nanashi. But if you want to put this game on your Games Beat list there’s one more thing you must do…”

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I was looking at the steam version and recent reviews say it’s gotten some big fixes. Idk if I care enough to pay for a game I have y he rom for on my pc tho

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I got the tude now posted:

I was looking at the steam version and recent reviews say it’s gotten some big fixes. Idk if I care enough to pay for a game I have y he rom for on my pc tho

pc gamers love patches and mods

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

pc gamers love… mods

I hereby renounce pc gaming

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think it should be played on original hardware through a crt fursonally

That Little Demon