Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Also we have big Crabgrass news!

quote:

What does this mean to you?

Well, I'll tell you. First of all, yes, it does mean no new strips for a bit. Leading up to Crabgrass appearing in newspapers I've been hard at work preparing for a daily update schedule. However doing so, along with putting together a sales kits for the strip, and working on the first Crabgrass book has burned through a considerable chunk of my established buffer. And so in order to rebuild that buffer (and also to give myself a much needed break) I'll be taking the next couple of months off from updating properly on social media. I'll continue to post things like Teen Years (as I find the time) as well as the occasional Crabgrass preview or process video. But mostly I'll just be gearing up and getting everything ready for the big launch!

I realize many of you may decide to cancel your patronage during this time. I get it. No hard feelings if you do, and I hope you'll consider coming back again. My Patrons are the entire reason I'm able to even do this for a living and I hate to see any of you go. I'll always be grateful for the support you've given and I hope you know how integral you've been to making a real life-long dream come true.

And for those of you who choose to stick around, I want to thank you in advance and I'll try my best to make it worth it. You'll still get the strip a day before anyone once it launches and I'll keep you posted about anything important that happens with the strip in the mean time.

This is it, guys. It's time for Crabgrass to sink or swim. Whatever the outcome it's been an incredible privilege and a sincere pleasure to share my work with you.

P.S. please feel free to reply with any questions you have. I'll answer them in the comments.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 16-17, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
One last thing about Wilbur falling overboard is that despite what a lot of fiction would have you believe, water is not soft and is not safe to fall into from a great height. I learned this from, of all things, the old Real Ghostbusters cartoon from the 80s, where the Ghostbusters were falling from a portal over the ocean and Peter says "Well, at least we'll hit the water," and Ray replies "Actually, due to the surface tension, from this height hitting the water would be like hitting concrete."

I'm not sure how far it is from the deck of a cruise ship to the waterline, but it's probably a few stories at least, and on top of that Wilbur is very drunk and as such isn't going to think to do anything that would help lessen the impact of hitting the water. This means he has the potential to get a few broken bones, or even a head/spinal injury if he hits the water wrong.

I mean, it's a comic strip so he'll survive with a few bruises (maybe a broken bone or two), but yeah, as has been said many times before, Wilbur has essentially no chance of surviving if this scenario happened in real life.

Always a true classic:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wilbur's coffin will be carved and painted to resemble a giant sandwich.

Bizarro

[The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:discourse:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

Comics Kingdom is down, probably due to crazed Wilbur fans, so today's Rhymes with Dustin is courtesy of Arcamax.

If you want a plan B, I figured out by accident that it's the front end that's borked, not the image server. So you can Google image search by domain, like <Insert Comic Name Here> site:comicskingdom.com, click the tools button, limit time to "past 24 hours". The one you're looking for is probably be the first one, so click on that, then right click on the big image in the sidebar that pops up and select "open image in new tab".

And that's how we end up with today's Mutts.

Sally Forth

Ces on Medium Large: "This may be one of my favorite Sally Forth Sundays of all time (and that may include when we had Godzilla whip a train full of the characters at King Ghidorah’s head)."

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 12, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (With All The Cartoonists Who Aren't Drawing Skippy For The Magazine Every Week Anymore) (January 7, 1926)

Percy Crosby:

Alice Harvey:

John Held Jr.

Al Frueh:

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Ces on Medium Large: "This may be one of my favorite Sally Forth Sundays of all time (and that may include when we had Godzilla whip a train full of the characters at King Ghidorah’s head)."

I agree with Ces, this one's amazing. (Be sure to click through to the Medium Large entry to see all the classic panels this was based on.)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

I keep getting 404 errors every time I try to access any page on Comics Kingdom, I can only assume that all the extra traffic from goons trying to see if Wilbur really fell overboard is crashing the site.
300+ comments on today's Mary Worth. I guarantee you tomorrow some marketing guy is going to be very excitedly talking about 'engagement.'
:lol:

Edit:
This one too :lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Well how did this setup begin then?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

It appears Rene may have a legit argument right now, but I bet it won't end up that way.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 9, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Murdstone posted:

300+ comments on today's Mary Worth. I guarantee you tomorrow some marketing guy is going to be very excitedly talking about 'engagement.'

Wilbur is money.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I know the big news is the Mary Worth thing ("Oh, Wilbur! When you were missing and I thought you were dead, I realized how much I care for you! Please forgive me for arguing with you earlier! Yes, I will marry you!"), I gotta comment on this

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

It's bad enough that the baby's babbling in an actual baby language that the dad can understand, but if the mom can understand it too, THEN WHAT IS THE loving POINT OF THIS STRIP.

He might as well be the Rose Is Rose baby at this point.

Kennel posted:

I hope Wilbur is saved drowned by a mermaid and she becomes a regular character.

FTFY

Everything old is new again

Love it

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Please please please stop posting Mary Worth. They're going to have some half-assed cop out to explain how Wilbur survived and the final strip being his death is just the perfect ending.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope he washes up on a beach and becomes the new Phantom.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Aww geez, Mark Trail. There's Wilburs flying all over the place.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

goatface posted:

I hope he washes up on a beach and becomes the new Phantom.

The Ghost Who Gets poo poo-Faced!*

(*in the Bandar tongue)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Odonata posted:

Please please please stop posting Mary Worth. They're going to have some half-assed cop out to explain how Wilbur survived and the final strip being his death is just the perfect ending.

Mary Worth isn't about perfect endings, it's about suffering as a reader.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message "lol Wilbur Dead,"
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Call the maker of big Dagwoods,
The muscular one, and bid him stack
On kitchen-plates meat between bread.

Drunk wanderings, meet the law of averages.
The only emperor is the emperor of sandwiches.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

How Wonderful! posted:

MARY MARY MARY MARY (ah ah ah ah, ah ah)
WHY YOU GET THEM BACK TOGETHER (ah ah ah ah, ah ah)
I AWAIT A STUPID COPOUT (ah ah ah ah, ah ah)
MARY MARY MARY MARY (ah ah ah ah, ah ah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObzgUfCl28

(I know you're doing something else but the meter made me think of this song)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh wow i haven't thought about the kaiser chiefs in a decade

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Probably the basis for the most known episode of the animated series.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Samovar posted:

I would wish to see more of proto-Ballard Street.

Also, lol Wilbur.

I too, would love to see more of this proto-Ballard Street.

But until then, there's actual Ballard Street! This week: A rare sighting of a Ballard Street child!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Aw, thanks Bruce and Bernice. :unsmith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has Mary Worth ever killed off a regular character before? I feel like Wilbur has been there since the 70s.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I AM GRANDO posted:

I feel like Wilbur has been there since the 70s.
The real reason whatsherface wants to offload the condos to Mary so badly in the 79 timeline.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Has Mary Worth ever killed off a regular character before? I feel like Wilbur has been there since the 70s.

How quickly we forget Aldo Kelrast

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

How Wonderful! posted:

How quickly we forget Aldo Kelrast

Aldo was a character for the Aldomania storyline. Regular characters include Wilbur and Dawn, Professor Ian and Toby, Dr Jeff, and probably Estelle, Tommy, and Iris at this point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Aldo was introduced specifically for that storyline.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

8/28/2012

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Once the sea gets a taste of ya, it's only a matter of time...

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Wilbur should just use that title for everything he writes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Powered Descent posted:

I agree with Ces, this one's amazing. (Be sure to click through to the Medium Large entry to see all the classic panels this was based on.)

I got three right, missed the Freak Brothers even though it's obvious in hindsight.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I was just thinking about this. Will Wilbur finally fail to cheat his fate? Or will Dawn paging him lead to his prompt rescue so he can write another advice column entry about cruise accidents?

Unrelatedly, I want everyone to know that Ballard Street and Uramachi Sakaba are delightful.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

TheMadMilkman posted:

Watching kids knock down towers is the single reason for building them.

A truly bad comic.

Oh no, in the Lynniverse this is more proof that kids just wreck EVERYTHING and are so ungrateful for everything their elders try to do for them.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 10, 2022

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wikipedia says he and Dawn were introduced in 1993, so they hardly count as longstanding charactoh god I'm old.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i looked it up, and the first strip mentioning wilbur is march 25, 1993. he buys an apartment in charterstone and gets bullied by Ian Whatshisface for writing an advice column for women.

he was every bit as much of a dweeb then as now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
drat, I fell behind and then saw the thread title change and holy poo poo I'm excited for the funeral.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

catlord posted:

drat, I fell behind and then saw the thread title change and holy poo poo I'm excited for the funeral.

How many people expect it to be a dream/fantasy sequence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011