Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Shageletic posted:

So overall for someone who's been following Dexter ironically after season 4.

Is this season worth watching?

I watched the first five seasons and this. I really enjoyed it. If someone was interested in the show, I’d recommend they watch the first four seasons and this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Seasons 1-4 -> New Blood is probably the ideal Dexter watching experience, and then you can have a glance at the post-4 seasons if you want more Dexter and can comfortably drop it once it gets too stupid for your taste.

New Blood is actively made worse by knowing how Deb and LaGuerta died, who Hannah was, and the events leading up to Dexter faking his death, so if you somehow have the choice, this is the one.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

vseslav.botkin posted:

Oh yeah, something that jumped out at me: during the conversation with Logan, there's a very short flashback with what looks like Harrison spotting the white deer. He then immediately lies about not being in town at the time and then changes the subject -- but the flashback doesn't make any sense if he's just covering for his dad. Any idea what that's about? Seemed weird.

This confused me too. It had me expecting some reveal about Harrison that never happened and then I wondered what I missed. But in retrospect I think it was to show that Harrison knew Dexter's reason for killing Matt was bullshit. It wasn't because he fit The Code™. Dexter just liked that white deer and had the opportunity to feed his murder addiction.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It seems like Angela and Dexter really screwed Harrison over by kicking him off to be a homeless minor with a murder hanging over his head when either one of them could have trivially not done so.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He's got an envelope of cash and a pickup truck. He's already a step ahead of most american teenagers.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Like he's a serial killer who kills serial killers, it's his whole deal. Send Harrison out for smokes and turn the gun on yourself and go out with a smile and a half-chub.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

One thing I’m having trouble with: after Harrison’s whole thing about just wanting to be normal, I’m having trouble buying that he would shoot Dexter rather than just make sure the cops get him back and he actually faces justice.

Still, the second they introduced even the possibility that Dexter could get caught, it became a better series finale by default.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Diabolik900 posted:

One thing I’m having trouble with: after Harrison’s whole thing about just wanting to be normal, I’m having trouble buying that he would shoot Dexter rather than just make sure the cops get him back and he actually faces justice.

Still, the second they introduced even the possibility that Dexter could get caught, it became a better series finale by default.

He knew it was what Dexter wanted. Dexter realized he was fundamentally broken and he'd started to break Harrison. I definitely agree that it was weird to send Harrison away since he didn't do anything in the eyes of the law since Angela took the gun. They could have added a throwaway line like "This is going to be a media circus, you don't want to be at the center of that. Go while you still can"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Centusin posted:

Although part of me thinks the Dark Passenger got exactly what it wanted at the end? Killing a person might awaken some sort of latent Dark passenger in Harrison, Dexter was useless by that point and was going to end up in jail at some point anyway, and now Harrison has had to leave town and go somewhere where the Dark Passenger might be able to control him more. This is all a reach but is at least more interesting to me than Dexter felt 2 minutes of sadness so demanded his kid murder him.

I had to laugh because I was already thinking that the absolute dumbest possible hook for a new season would be if they borrow from the books and make the Dark Passenger into an actual demon entity that rides inside Dexter's head and influences him to kill people. And now because Harrison's killed Dexter, the demon jumps to Harrison! Oh no!

That wasn't a terrible finale, and it doesn't take much to do better than the previous one, so great job I guess. Everyone else has already summed up how sloppy a lot of the plotting was, but honestly, a lot of the actors' performances were so good that I didn't really notice a lot of this stuff until you guys pointed it out. But they definitely rushed Dexter just casually killing a cop to escape. I was kinda shocked that he even tried -- given everything with Kurt and the arson, Angela's case was so lovely that Dexter was probably going to walk. Also lol at making your son murder his father while looking him in the eyes rather than just turning yourself in and possibly face the death penalty, but that's peak Dexter, so no points lost there.

I was a little bummed that Dexter died. I'm not saying it wasn't an obvious way to end the show, but I've never been in the camp that thought Dexter HAS to die or be imprisoned at the end. It's just a silly, fun show without a whole lot of deeper meaning besides "killing people makes life difficult." Michael Hall is loving brilliant in the part, and I don't really care if he just vanishes into the night, always keeping alive the potential for more stupid fun murder adventures. But Harrison's actor was so great that I kinda want to see them do another season of Harrison/Head Dexter stuff.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh boy. 7/10? Maybe generous.

What shocks me is that me or the misses didn't gasp or seem to have any kind of response to Dexter's death. I thought they would cop out right until it showed the bullet hole. Ultimately I think it becomes a conversation on addiction and rationalization which I guess isn't anything new for the show, but it seemed to be the main point in the end. Too bad in the case of a killing addict that the only true release is death.

I like the idea mentioned before that the Dark Passenger wanted this and will now transfer to Harrison. And as that poster said, its a reach, but this is also the Dexter universe. And in compliance with that, completely reneging on what the finale seemed to be going for vis a vis, Harrison getting his answers and having a chance to make a clean break and be normal as he claims he wants to be, would be exactly what you'd expect from this franchise.

Biggest thing is the wasting of the Bautista angle. They should have rigged it up so she put him on the phone with Dexter or something, or video call. Shame.

Funny that someone mentioned the cars swerving over the yellow line, when Harrison did it at the end I thought he maybe was gonna SOA himself, but then he had put on his seatbelt previously. Using the letter like that was a nice touch. Where'd the cash come from? Basically everything we got today should have been fleshed out a little bit more and some of the filler leading up to the finale should have been cut in favor of it.

I'm surprised how indifferent I feel. I was really invested in this show, having watched it before I saw any true prestige TV. I guess we knew what was coming.

Now its time to get back to Homicide: LotS, which you all should watch if you haven't seen as its quite a good cop drama with plenty of familiar faces and laughs to boot. And if I can put up with the poor video quality, so can you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ahaha this is so satisfying finally arrested, loving dipshit lmao

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In the Harrison sequel Harrison will be a serial killer who very specifically only kills serial killer dads who have kids who seem like they might turn out bad because of their dads.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Nep-Nep posted:

In the Harrison sequel Harrison will be a serial killer who very specifically only kills serial killer dads who have kids who seem like they might turn out bad because of their dads.

We're going to find out that with Dexter gone, there's been a huge boom in unsolved weird murders/disappearances. It turns out that nature always needs a serial killer who kills serial killers, and killing Dexter upset the delicate balance of the system.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

codo27 posted:

Oh boy. 7/10? Maybe generous.

What shocks me is that me or the misses didn't gasp or seem to have any kind of response to Dexter's death. I thought they would cop out right until it showed the bullet hole. Ultimately I think it becomes a conversation on addiction and rationalization which I guess isn't anything new for the show, but it seemed to be the main point in the end. Too bad in the case of a killing addict that the only true release is death.

I don't think this reading holds, given that Harrison rejects the idea of taking on his father's propensity towards murder, surely Harrison is a budding addict too?

Beyond which, any attempt to one-to-one read Dexter's addiction to killing as a universal statement about compulsion sort of falls apart given that Dexter's addiction isn't just self-destructice, but actively and centrally involves the destruction of other people. The addiction element allows us a gateway into his psyche, but i think your reading reduces the character to some sort of Buffy style monster-as-metaphor thing, which this is not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
aww Logan was a good dude but glad dexter simps can't somehow brush that one off like all the other innocents killed

angela selling the anguish, that "gently caress" while running to her car realizing logan very likely dead after having just uncovered 25 years of failure under her nose

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 9, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Khanstant posted:

angela selling the anguish, that "gently caress" while running to her car realizing logan very likely dead after having just uncovered 25 years of failure under her nose

Her run in that scene was quite something as well

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ding dong the witch is dead but lmao feels like theres a bunch of ways for harrison to legally get away here. its also a real shame/perfect dexter's last act was extremely evil while he deludedly saw himself as heroic for doing it. dexter is a piece of poo poo and always has been, even before the bathed in blood poo poo, just a rotten apple, a bum baby. He exits as he entered, a self-righteous turd.

p.s. dexter you should've thought to make a copy of the jail key and kept it keestered. Especially after he picked up murdering again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
also did they show harrison watching dexter kill kurt from the bushes? did that come up earlier or did I just forget or wasn't paying attention

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The actor who plays Harrison needs to stay away from the Dexter producers from here on out. He did a great job in a role that probably should have been a complete disaster. Don't let them draw you into a "Harrison is a serial killer of serial killers now" series! You got out clean, run!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Caros posted:

I'm a loving nerd with a sleeping disorder:

First off let me say, this show was good.

Went back to read this post as I tackle my own disability to sleep, and it is a Good Post. Particularly the Angela/Molly revisions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit request: deadxter doing snow angels as the camera floats away

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Caros posted:

Good, not great. But mostly great with what they had to work with.

It's this. Dexter should have gone down for being the BHB but he didn't and imo that's why this finale feels hollow. That and Angela's case against him is so loving pathetic. Of course this is enough to make Dexter freak out and kill Logan :rolleyes:

Also having Batista in the finale but him never interacting with Dexter is a huge loving copout. That 1000% should've happened and it should have shown Dexter start to mess up some of his lies. Bonus if Harrison is watching for some reason.

Rollos posted:

It was alright it went through the right beats but it was kind of boring. I laughed pretty hard when Dexter snapped the coach's neck as he could've easily put him asleep. I thought for sure Dexter was still going to be alive because of $$$, but I'm glad they actually killed him. Feels like it could've used a scene with Batista confronting Dexter and them really legally trapping him, forcing him into a corner and having no choice but to escape. They rushed it and as a result it felt anticlimactic. Overall it was okay 6/10

:same:

e: vvvv yea buddy. PEAK DEXTER

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 9, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just in the midst of watching this.

Oh hey, Jim/Dexter, your hut burning down was actually arson. Also this incriminating screw laying in the midst of the ashes is in no way suspicious in context. This is truly season 9.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's this. Dexter should have gone down for being the BHB but he didn't and imo that's why this finale feels hollow. That and Angela's case against him is so loving pathetic. Of course this is enough to make Dexter freak out and kill Logan :rolleyes:

Dexter freaking out makes sense to me. Dexter couldn’t leave Harrison out and about once he knew Angela knew enough to possibly get him to say something. It explains his desperate attempt to get the keys from Logan. Dexter only killed Logan after he tried to shoot him. Dexter has killed multiple people ‘in self defense’. The more important thing, is the code is a bullshit cover for Dexter wanting to kill.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ghostwritingduck posted:

Dexter freaking out makes sense to me. Dexter couldn’t leave Harrison out and about once he knew Angela knew enough to possibly get him to say something. It explains his desperate attempt to get the keys from Logan. Dexter only killed Logan after he tried to shoot him. Dexter has killed multiple people ‘in self defense’. The more important thing, is the code is a bullshit cover for Dexter wanting to kill.

I guess. But Harrison was still fully on board at that time so he would've just lied or said nothing because he didn't really know anything. Just shut your mouth, call a lawyer and then leave the next day when you are out.

I cannot emphasize just how bad Angela's case against him was. Angela is the most Dexter policeman ever.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

lmao the Breaking Bad/Dexter memes broke the showrunners' brains so bad that they just stapled the Breaking Bad ending onto their redo

it was good though! i feel satisfied and can honestly say i was entertained the entire season. bravo

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
If I remember correctly he also killed a guy after Rita died just because the guy was being an rear end in a top hat.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

ghostwritingduck posted:

The more important thing, is the code is a bullshit cover for Dexter wanting to kill.

Even the first kill in this series shows how much the Code has twisted to serve Dexter's hunger. Matt Caldwell technically checks all the boxes (killed people, got away with it) but he is only a thoughtless shithead, not the kind of monstrous problem that Harry created the Code to "solve". His kill doesn't observe the spirit of the Code, but it has been so long that Dexter doesn't care as long as he can tick off those boxes before a kill.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It would have been dumb, but as soon as we saw Harrison for real I went, that's not Harrison, that's Cody grown up, and he's figured it out and come to gently caress Dexter up real good. Probably good that's not what happened

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He also straight up killed the wrong guy with a full-on murder room ritual onetime. He briefly muses "usually they confess" and forgets about it, then later sees the real killer being arrested as he walks into the station. He freaks out for like half an episode and gets rid of the blood slide, then never thinks about it again. I wanna say it's in season 4?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Obviously a better finale than the last one, but I agree that there's room for it to have been better. I'll use spoilers since I kind of touch on some stuff that happens in the finale.

Having Dexter be locked up for a bit, giving him a scene with Batista, have the BHB stuff really start lining up against him, and then escaping basically the way he did in that little gap of time before he gets put into serious federal lockdown or something as a suspected serial killer would have been nice. Since we're clearly leaving it all on the field anyway, I'd have Dexter kill Logan and Batista as part of his escape to really hammer home what an rear end in a top hat he is. I think with one more episode there's room to cover all of that smoothly.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

vseslav.botkin posted:

If I remember correctly he also killed a guy after Rita died just because the guy was being an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, but he was a jerk.

I actually liked that he killed Logan, though I agree it wasn't necessary for him to. One of my main complaints over the years is how every time Dexter killed someone outside of his code it turned into a big nothing burger, usually with Dexter justifying it in some other way. Like, "Oh, he might not have been a murderer, but he sold drugs to kids, he beat women, he was an rear end in a top hat in general, blah blah blah." But this murder lead to him being called out on his bullshit when he tried to justify it. I found that incredibly satisfying after years of similar occurrences amounting to zero consequences.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Went back to read this post as I tackle my own disability to sleep, and it is a Good Post. Particularly the Angela/Molly revisions.

The most frustrating thing is I put that together in like... 30 minutes.

I do not understand how something like this gets all the way to production with such glaring holes that are so easily fixed. Mine is far from the only solution, but it is so easy to fix the biggest glaring holes in the central plot thread without changing more than a handful of scenes.

Either they didn't do a second draft or someone didn't want to kill their darlings.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He also straight up killed the wrong guy with a full-on murder room ritual onetime. He briefly muses "usually they confess" and forgets about it, then later sees the real killer being arrested as he walks into the station. He freaks out for like half an episode and gets rid of the blood slide, then never thinks about it again. I wanna say it's in season 4?

He also killed Hannah's dad in season seven just because he was blackmailing her. I remember when a friend saw that, they turned to me and said "So... He's just killing anybody now?" With these two kills and some of the other "outside of the code" murders, there could have been some neat developments. Emphasize that Dexter doesn't care about any greater sense of justice, he just wants to feed his murder addiction and if someone doesn't fit the code, he'll find a way to justify killing them if they're an inconvenience. And I guess they kinda did this, except not in a way that lead to any sort of character development. Every single time it was done, it was done just to solve a problem of the week that was disconnected from the main plot. This season is the only one that really had anything like consequence for that, and that's why I see it as much better than a lot of the ones that came before it (not that that's saying much).

I didn't like it enough to see anymore though. So glad this poo poo's done.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

vseslav.botkin posted:

shamelessly pasted from askjeeves

quote:

Here are all the people killed by Dexter who weren’t (comfirmed) murderers and so didn’t fit the code.

Season 1 (0):

He only kills confirmed murderers.

Season 2 (2):

-Esteban and Teo Famosa: Two drug dealers who were (probably) about to kill Doakes. Dexter kills Esteban off-screen with bare hands (probalby by snapping his neck) and then shoots Teo in the chest with Esteban’s pistol with Doakes’ help, saving him. Altought they would have almost certainly kill Doakes (he was a police officer and they were drug dealers) and they had probably killed before, they weren’t confirmed murderers. No remorse from Dexter.

Season 3 (3):

-Oscar Prado: A drug user. Dex surprises him fighting with his intented kill (Fred ‘’Freebo’’ Bowman), who was Oscar Prado’s drug dealer, and Oscar attacks Dex with a knife; He stabs him in the chest in self-defense. Remorsful.

-Nathan Marten: A pedophile and sexual abuser who was spying on Astor and had probably targeted her. Dexter strangles him to death with a garotte to protect his family. No remorse.

-Camilla Figg: A friend of Dexter who was dying painfully of lung cancer and had asked him to shorten her suffering. He finally agreed and fed her a poisoned pience of her favorite dessert key lime pie. No remorse.

Season 4 (1):

-John Farrow: A convicted rapist. Tthinking he was a serial killer, Dex decapitated him with a cleaver. It later turned out Farrow’s assistant was the killer, not him. Remorsful for a short period.

Season 5 (2):

-Rankin: First actual innocent killed on purpose in an non mercy killing by Dexter. Rankin insults him before gooing in the bathroom of a small store. Dex grabs an anchor and follows him. He tells him his wife just died partially of his fault and Rankin responds by ‘’talking poo poo’’ about Rita, wich enrage Dex. Seeing he is about to assault him, Rankin attacks first. Dex repost and beats him to death with the anchor. Apparently no remorse.

-Stan Liddy: A corrupt ex-cop investigating illegally on Dexter and Lumen. After seeing them dump what looks like bodies in the Gulf Stream, he kidnaps Dex and ties him in a van. When Dex frees himslef, Liddy attacks him with an knife but Dexter turns it on him more or less in self-defense. No remorse.

Season 6 (2):

-Norm: A pot grower and dealer. After he finds Dexter’s knives and revolver, he tries to extort 10,000$ from him (by pointing the revolver on him), thinking he’s rich. Dex grabs a pitcthfork and stabs him in the belly. He was under the influence on an hallucination of his brother Brian and imagined him kill Norm. No remorse.

-Alberto: An immigrant smuggler on a boat that picked up Dexter. He starts robbing the immigrants with a pistol and Dex has nothing on him. When he maltreats a pregnant woman an treatens to kill her because she has no money, Dexter impales him throught the stomach with a harpoon. No remorse.

Season 7 (2):

-Hitman hired to kill Isaak Sirko: While searching Isaak’s house, Dex surprises him dooing the same. They struggle a little and Dexter slits his throat. Alltought he was a hitman, it is unknown if he had killed before or not and he was there to kill a murderer, so he was not a comfirmed murderer (of innocents). No remorse.

-Clint McKay: Hannah McKay’s abusing father who knew she killed a man (and probably knew she had killed more and was still dangerous) and treatens to turn her in if she doesn’t give him monney. Dex stabs him in the chest on his boat to help Hannah. No remorse.

-*Maria LaGuerta: Altought he didn’t managed to kill her (but only to cause her death), Dexter planned to kill her because she had discovered that he was the Bay Harbor Butcher. He chosen to kill her over leaving the country with Harrison and Debra partially because it would have destroyed her, but mostly because he liked the life he builded there and didn’t wanted to leave. No remorse.*

Season 8 (2):

-Andrew Briggs: A thief who was in a relationship with a deppressed Debra (who was in an undercover opperation to turn him in). Dexter disrespected and hated him and at one point, he attacked him in his hotel room (in Debra’s presence) and when Andrew tried to grab a knife, Dex took it and stabbed him in the belly. No remorse.

-Debra Morgan: After she got shot (partially because of him) and became vegetative, Dex unplugged her and abandonned her body in the ocean. This was a mercy killing. Remorsful for beeing partially responsible of her gettint shot and vegetative, but apparently not for killing her.

This is without the murders Dexter didn’t commit but is at least partially responsible for and the animals he killed.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That's right he kills the guy stalking Astor and them steals his milk lmao

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Well, that was a letdown.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
after thinking about it for a day i think the thing that made the finale not work is basically just that the way they set this up didn't work as a satisfying 'finally, dexter is caught for his crimes' thing. it felt a lot more like a mid-season episode where dexter wriggles out of it because angela really hasn't built her case and is mostly operating on emotion, so she needs to 'fail' here and then bolster up to catch him for real later. probably involving batista and his knowledge of the BHB/laguerta stuff. dexter either escapes or is let out on bail/exonerated for matt and resumes his killing lifestyle because he's insane, and then gets caught red-handed or some damning evidence later.

there were absolutely a couple of wheel-spinning episodes this season - dexter spent an entire episode running away from a random trucker who meant nothing - so it isn't like they didn't have time. they had 10 full hours to cover it all, but they hosed around including stuff which wasn't relevant. kurt hardly played into the ending they were aiming for so he should've died a lot earlier or had less time spent on him, even though he was fun to watch mostly. the billionaire red herring was an utter waste of time because they show clancy brown's eyes (i think in episode ONE), so nobody on earth thought it was anybody except kurt. y'know? cut some of this poo poo out and give us at least a plausible ending scenario.

basically they didn't write towards this ending so dexter snapping coach's neck and escaping is disjointed. there's like 2 episodes of plot development and character examination that needs to happen before you get there.

the concept for the inevitable end of dexter is fine. for some bizarre reason, though, they just didn't write a scenario where it felt inevitable at all.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Welp.

I'm glad it is done and it was a better ending than before. I'm glad they aren't dragging it out for more seasons with him still comically getting away with murder. Like others have said it would have been nice if they stretched it out over a couple of episodes and showed Batista finally seeing the pattern (lol) and Doakes being posthumously exonerated and redeemed. I guess Laguerta's bench can rest easy now.

Also, that billionaire dude and Chickey Hines must have ridden off into the sunset together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember cracking up when Angela was in Kurt's creepy gallery and she would say the victim's name and then flash to her murder vision board in case we forgot.