Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

sounds like made up poo poo tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Feel like this says more about the mindset of chinawatchers than anything else.
https://twitter.com/ModestlyModrut/status/1480186397013299203?s=20

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'd imagine they'd have the same response to nuclear war and 86M dead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They really think we're going to innovate our way out of the pandemic and completely overtake China's projected growth on an updraft of freedom.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Feel like this says more about the mindset of chinawatchers than anything else.
https://twitter.com/ModestlyModrut/status/1480186397013299203?s=20

The US lost working class people. It kinda matters.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the sheer ideological effort to not work from material circumstances as a chained reasoning

the incapability of offering directed, concerted effort against the pandemic not only is evidence of the difficulties the american state already has for the present against china, but also further handicaps it as well due to the impairment of its own population, depriving its own economic capacity in regards to itself, which would be a tremendously significant factor to consider if you want to take your measure against the industrial manufacturing hub of the world, among many other considerations of the type

instead, such liberal worldview works historical conditions as events that stand apart from one another. To help people visualize what's problematic about that, I usually use the example of soap bubbles from a toy: each historical condition, event or such is a bubble floating with the others, together but always encapsulated in itself, every now and then colliding and such, being blown in the same direction. History, when seen like that, of things happening without considering the relation to one another, has no greater coherence or significant structure to be of value.

to use another example: this is not a matter of education, it's a matter of perception. Lots of supposedly well-read and very well studied people in prestigious centers of learning have studied history but do not see history. They studied Vietnam and they were sure about how to succeed in Afghanistan, only to be shocked about how things ultimately turn out. They think to themselves, "but I know those things, I read about them, I studied them", but it's encyclopedic awareness, not a living, practical perception of history in the Now, there. They think Afghanistan failed because of a matter of a policy, of an action here and there, a decision made at a moment, things like that. They do not perceive a coherent whole, a structural driver from long before that has led to each and every one of those individual points.

China offers one of the hardest challenges to that worldview because it's a state led by a political party which has among its foundational principles the proper assessment and rigorous analysis of history, due to the philosophical framework that inspires it. If they make an error, it isn't a soap bubble popping in the wind, is something to be analyzed together with all circumstances that led to it, to be studied and criticized with just scrutiny, then reviewed and retried. The soap-bubble-view means that when a circumstance has passed, it is gone forever; "oh we failed to do this, we can't try it again, it would never work". What chances such a perspective, entrenched among many in the political establishment of the West, has against the historically-affirming political will of the People's Republic?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

I am actually far more of a "might makes right kind of person" in the International sphere where every dog looks after themselves and if it makes sense to band together in a pack then you band together in a pack against bigger and meaner dogs. My objection to CCP rule over Hong Kong is more rooted in the fact that this is a personal issue for me. The logical part of my brain accepts this as the reality as PRC is effectively the ruler of "China" and that it would always be this way. If you can't find enough dogs with enough common interest to back you up, then you had better learn how to exist with your tail between your legs.

The main reason for my posts on this particular topic is the rejection of some weird idealistic stance by some posters who think that Hong Kong ending up under PRC rule is somehow moralistic or contractual. The Qing dynasty was long dead by the time 1997 came around. The entity with which you were supposed to return the leased territory to no longer exists much less the part of Hong Kong which the UK won by right of conquest. If you somehow start assigning the rights of the Qing to the PRC due to some arbitrary historical linkage and hence generate a moral stance on who should own what, you rapidly start running into very strange scenarios where many countries have historical links to previously occupied land now under the control of another country and can now use that same logic to pursue a moral right for reconquest.

The Crimea example is another example here. Most people clearly feel that Russia was in the wrong and this activity should not be tolerated despite clear historical linkage to Russia that is almost within living memory (it was ceded to Ukraine when the USSR was formed). Well if you believe that then you also need to believe that the PRC shouldn't occupy Hong Kong or Tibet and that Taiwan shouldn't have anything to do with China. If you believe otherwise then you have to accept things like the Crimea annexation as legitimate. I personally think that the Ukrainians should just be grateful they didn't gobble up the entirely because it is blatantly obvious that NATO isn't coming to save you and everyone knows it.

As I said, I prefer to simply remove moralistic arguments in the international sphere altogether because no actor on that scene does anything other than promote self-interest anyways. So we share common ground here I think.

if you're doing this to troll this thread you're supposed to pivot to 'and that's why I question posters ITT when they assert that Mongolia is somehow immune to this, being a historical part of China until illegally lopped off by Soviet imperialists during the civil war" or you could swap over to "and that's why I think the continued false concerns about native american nations in the US is nothing more than pagentry"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mila kunis posted:

sounds like made up poo poo tbh

It's this

https://twitter.com/ClintEhrlich/status/1479927769001828352

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

if you're doing this to troll this thread you're supposed to pivot to 'and that's why I question posters ITT when they assert that Mongolia is somehow immune to this, being a historical part of China until illegally lopped off by Soviet imperialists during the civil war" or you could swap over to "and that's why I think the continued false concerns about native american nations in the US is nothing more than pagentry"

It's a psyc, and also why do you try to shoehorn the status of Mongolia into all of your posts? Mongolia was recognized as a separate country by the PRC from its founding. That's the end of it. Nobody thinks Mongolia is part of China anymore except maybe some Taiwanese nationalists.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Red and Black posted:

It's a psyc, and also why do you try to shoehorn the status of Mongolia into all of your posts? Mongolia was recognized as a separate country by the PRC from its founding. That's the end of it. Nobody thinks Mongolia is part of China anymore except maybe some Taiwanese nationalists.

I know it's a source your quote, and also I just explained why I talk about mongolia, because it's a fun way to poke at this thread a bit

brugroffil posted:

I'd imagine they'd have the same response to nuclear war and 86M dead

as long as they could ensure they wouldn't be one of the dead they'd be 1000% in favor. Hell I bet they'd hit the button themselves

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
lol the fascists and white supremacists are doing their best to showcase how disgusting they are in D&D. just blatantly ignoring any counter arguments because they like their racist fantasy world more

Mulva posted:

Counter-point: Nah.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The brain poisoning apparent in DnD is rhetoric poisoning, the purpose of that forum is to win arguments, not actually understand reality in any meaningful sense. Debate club nonsense. Fabulously racist in their underpinning assumptions, they continuously falsely equivocate between any and all structures of power and authority while chasing the dopamine hit of liberal self righteousness. They disgust me.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Southpaugh posted:

The brain poisoning apparent in DnD is rhetoric poisoning, the purpose of that forum is to win arguments, not actually understand reality in any meaningful sense. Debate club nonsense. Fabulously racist in their underpinning assumptions, they continuously falsely equivocate between any and all structures of power and authority while chasing the dopamine hit of liberal self righteousness. They disgust me.

basically yeah, its an utter waste of time, but i think of it as training my rhetorics skill for when the quality of my arguments actually do matter in convincing somebody. the grindstone never wears, after all that is the point

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

lollontee posted:

basically yeah, its an utter waste of time, but i think of it as training my rhetorics skill for when the quality of my arguments actually do matter in convincing somebody. the grindstone never wears, after all that is the point

Yeah that's my view of D&D as well.

Also lol the lib Pearl clutching about Kazakhstan has reached Syrian Civil War levels now. The libs are referring to the legit govt of the state as a "regime" now. Oooh what a spooky sounding way to say legitimate state administration.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kazakhstan is almost certain to have a downturn in its relations with the US, so they have to start practicing the R-word early.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

dead gay comedy forums posted:

he's the crackhead right

With the gigantic penis yes

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skipmyseashells posted:

the qing dynasty logic made my jaw drop, if you used that for 10 seconds on Europe/the americas you’d get hilarious results but it only applies to China somehow

Or following the simple logic of “secession is good, right? Local leaders deciding not to follow a bigger nation is just self-determination, right?” and applying it to the US during the civil war. Nobody sat down and asked the confederate leaders what they wanted in 1861, even if they spoke the same language and shared the same history, so really the US civil war was just An Imperialism.

Surely there’s no D&D gangtag to the effect of “repressing rebellions is cool and good (when it’s white people doing the repression).” :v:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Surely there’s no D&D gangtag to the effect of “repressing rebellions is cool and good (when it’s white people doing the repression).” :v:

no they're anti racist, please understand the nuance of white soldiers scorched earthing slave quarters vis a vis china denying the right of self determination to hong kong

won by right of conquest not treaty, this makes it more legitimate. once again, i am an anti racist

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Holy fick what is going on in that China thread.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

thank you

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So when China commits the same crimes, for the same reasons, in the same manner, what would you call it? Is there a threshold where it's okay to do those crimes until you approach the collective guilt of the US or Nazi Germany? Are the lessons from observing the hateful and destructive behavior of the US not generalizable at all?

You're not the first person to come to this thread arguing that China can have a little colonialism, as a treat.

Ultimately it does seem to be a lot of people finding a new flavor of boot to lick, yeah.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
The rule of law fundamentally does not exist in China. The party is supreme.

Like, that's the whole point of the rule of law as a concept, that the sovereign is bound by the law. Kings used to deal with wealthy people who started bucking them the exact same way, those wealthy people getting pissed about it is pretty much where the idea is rights comes from.

The problem is, and has always been, not that the law doesn't apply to the rich, but rather it *only* applies to the rich. Only they get the benefit of its protection.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
projection.txt

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I know it's a source your quote, and also I just explained why I talk about mongolia, because it's a fun way to poke at this thread a bit

Ok but a comparison between Mongolia and Hong Kong or wherever makes no sense due to the simple fact that China recognized Mongolia as an independent country, as did the other countries of the world. The same is not true of Taiwan or Hong Kong, Xinjiang, Tibet, wherever. For that reason alone the situation is incomparable

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Jan 9, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, British were only leasing most of Hong Kong and didn’t actually have a legal right to change its status; the part they actually held by treaty was not self sufficient on its own. Theoretically, China could have left it to a vote but Western countries deny the right to self determination all the time, so I don’t see what the big issue is.

Also, no one really in the West had any problem with Ukraine ignoring Crimea’s population either.

It basically comes down to the contrasting strategic needs of the US, that’s about it. There doesn’t seem to be a serious argument otherwise.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Jan 9, 2022

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

insisting that they be called the CPC pisses off all the worst people so I will keep doing it

oooh what are the politics of this i love this kind of dumb poo poo

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

platzapS posted:

oooh what are the politics of this i love this kind of dumb poo poo

CPC (Communist Party of China) is the translation used by the PRC in official documents and such. CCP (Chinese Communist Party) is the shorthand more commonly used in the west. Which is the correct acronym is hotly contested by very online people

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

john bolton lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
don't people also hate CPC because RoC technically exists and thus it can't be of china

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Is the ultra slim Pompeo said anything yet? Or he is busy fighting cancer?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CCP sounds cooler

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
no thats CCCP which was also cool

but a surprising number of libs are stuck in the cold war too which would explain it too, incidentally

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

yeah I think 90% of the reason CCP sticks is because of the CCCP.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

the other 10% is an undeclared culture war by the congressional progressive caucus who is angry at the CPC for stealing their valor

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Oh, right, you technically didn't attack Appelbaum, you attacked her former associates, so it doesn't count as ad hominem.

But whatever, it's enough to see your use of language --- "Ukrainian famine" --- to know that the proper response to anything you say is to tell you to go gently caress yourself with your icons of Stalin.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I say Party of Communist China.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Not So Fast posted:

thats p cool

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I say Party of Communist China.

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xi must master communist thought or he will be consumed by American greed and trickery.