Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pump filters are FAR longer lasting and effective in my experience. The squeeze types are fine for solo use on weekend/week long trips but I wouldnt want to use them on longer trips than that.

With a MST pump filter I can crank out enough water for 4 people far quicker, and the prefilter keeps the ceramic filter cleaner and more effective for use far longer than a squeeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I will never do anything but a pump, after one trip where to my surprise the stream was the tiniest trickle of all time and I had to hunt for a spot where even my inlet hose could pick it up. In the end though I was able to pump liters and liters just fine, once I found a good spot. That water scare was a wake-up call for me to always check water conditions when backpacking out west. Anyway if I had been doing squeeze, gravity, or chemical treatment, I would have been screwed.

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

incogneato posted:

What exactly is your use case and region? Is this backpacking, car camping, something else? That MSR is a beast and very good, but as noted is probably overkill for most people.

Platypus Gravityworks is my top choice for convenience, speed, and ease of use. I carry a Sawyer Squeeze as a lightweight backup, and something that is easier to pull out on the trail or a day hike.
It's mostly meant to take it with us when we go camping with a car during summer time. We are a family of 5 so we got lots of stuff to pack anyway. Would use the filter to get water from lakes or rivers instead of packing extra water for us. I live in northern Europe. It is expensive indeed, but I'd take it as a long time investment if that filter really is as good as they say.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

REI Kingdom 4 and 6 are 30% off right now. Website says they're discontinued? Is a new version coming out 2022?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

FogHelmut posted:

REI Kingdom 4 and 6 are 30% off right now. Website says they're discontinued? Is a new version coming out 2022?

Of course, right after I buy one they come out with a new model. I haven't used it yet, maybe I'll be tempted to abuse REI's generous return policy if the new version looks substantially improved.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Looks like the REI Arete ASL 2 is on sale as well(50% off). Anyone have an option on it? I've been looking for a "good enough" 4 season tent for winter car camping.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Terminus posted:

Looks like the REI Arete ASL 2 is on sale as well(50% off). Anyone have an option on it? I've been looking for a "good enough" 4 season tent for winter car camping.

To be clear, that's the arete asl 2 2018 (now $198). The more modern one is still $400.

I have an arete asl 2 that I used for snow camp in 2015 and it was adequate. Good enough for 2 people as long as (of course) your gear is kept in the vestibule instead of actually in the tent. Lighter than my 3 season tents, so I took it on all my backpacking trips. But it can tear easily if you don't take good care of it... I didn't anchor mine down in one windy summer and it somersaulted through the sierras and gained a tear that I had to fix. I think REI evaluated the fix for free and I ended up paying for it without too much consideration.

I still have to find time to waterproof it some day. I've got some good memories with it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Terminus posted:

Thanks for this! Ive been looking for a lighter weight 3.5 season tent at a decent price and this is a way better option that most other stuff in that price range.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Glad I could help! After thinking on it I'm just gonna stick with my old Kelty Trail Ridge 3. I'm only taking it out one time this season if even that. The last time I took it out in the winter it shrugged off a thunderstorm that turned into sleet that turned into wet heavy snow over the course of day and a half with only a slight pole bend.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
This probably gets asked every year, but what's the best way for carrying water for hikes below freezing?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dutymode posted:

This probably gets asked every year, but what's the best way for carrying water for hikes below freezing?

I make a reflectix bottle insulator. Its a DIY job but cheap and effective. There are pre made nalgene type neoprene covers as well that work fairly well.
Other options include heavy insulated bottles/thermoses.

Myself I have fairly good luck putting in warm water which feels good anyway and keeping wrapped in reflectix. Your moving enough that it helps keep things from freezing as well. When I go to bed at night I have a full nalgene with me in my bag/quilt and ready for consumption in the morning as well.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Just wanted to chip in on the sock chat to say the Darn Tough socks are really great. I did a 6 mile march with weight (about 25kg total) a month ago and didn't even have hot spots, which I previously had pretty reliably with any kind of prolonged thing with my previous arrangement (sealskinz liner sock with a merino hiking sock on top). I'm looking forward to seeing how long they hold up and then testing the warranty in the UK but so far I'm full of praise for them.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dutymode posted:

I use wide mouth bottles to minimize surface/volume ratio, and keep them in my pack insulated by my warmest down jacket (that I don't usually wear while moving). If it's truly frigid, a thermos might be worth it...not just to keep water from freezing but because then you can have hot soup.

Things that definitely did not work for me: narrow smart bottles kept on the outside of the pack, or any bottle with a narrow neck.

At night I'll keep a warm water bottle in my sleeping bag for warmth, and just drink from that if I'm thirsty.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

MrNemo posted:

Just wanted to chip in on the sock chat to say the Darn Tough socks are really great. I did a 6 mile march with weight (about 25kg total) a month ago and didn't even have hot spots, which I previously had pretty reliably with any kind of prolonged thing with my previous arrangement (sealskinz liner sock with a merino hiking sock on top). I'm looking forward to seeing how long they hold up and then testing the warranty in the UK but so far I'm full of praise for them.

Darn Tough and Wrightsock were huge game changers for me. No better sock out there.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

re: washing, i use regular detergent powder on my wool socks and special undies/shirts; with air drying, i've been using the same gear for years without issue. i think woolite is for fancy cashmere sweaters and very delicate things, not 1000+ mile foot guards

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

If you're day hiking or doing excursions from a campsite where you don't need a huge backpack, you can wear a platypus/CamelBak in a minimalist carrier under your coat. Keep the drinking tube inside as well between sips.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone else: large insulated bottles carried upside down (to avoid lids freezing) is the way to go.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Outdoor gear-related complaint: Why/when did brands stop putting elastic or velcro closures on the vast majority of jackets? Drives me fuckin crazy and I'm about to return a $250 jacket because of it.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Can I get some goons to assist with a pack shakedown on my PCT Gearlist? Everything with a star I've purchased, and whatever has a gram weight, I have weighed on my scale. Otherwise, its manufacturers claimed weight. I will be traveling with another person, so things like the tent are technically shared weight and luxuries of dedicated nail clippers vs scissors makes it make more sense IMO.

Snow Gear for the sierras is listed as Consumable, but all gear for the entire trip is contained.

P.S. I probably have some things listed incorrectly as worn weight or consumables due to inexperience with internet pack weight protocol.

https://lighterpack.com/r/22653l

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

PoorHobo posted:

Can I get some goons to assist with a pack shakedown on my PCT Gearlist? Everything with a star I've purchased, and whatever has a gram weight, I have weighed on my scale. Otherwise, its manufacturers claimed weight. I will be traveling with another person, so things like the tent are technically shared weight and luxuries of dedicated nail clippers vs scissors makes it make more sense IMO.

Snow Gear for the sierras is listed as Consumable, but all gear for the entire trip is contained.

P.S. I probably have some things listed incorrectly as worn weight or consumables due to inexperience with internet pack weight protocol.

You could get a mini multi tool instead of bringing individual tweezer and knife. Also where did you get a ghost whisperer jacket for only $90?

I'd definitely ditch the solar panel

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012

Schmeichy posted:

You could get a mini multi tool instead of bringing individual tweezer and knife. Also where did you get a ghost whisperer jacket for only $90?

I'd definitely ditch the solar panel

In doing weight analysis, I don't save a whole lot and I've found dedicated tools to be much better than all-in-one type things. I was looking at a SAK, but I don't feel comfortable using a knife or scissors to cut my nails.

As far as the Ghost, It was on Reddit and had one patched hole near the bottom and the right zipper pocket lost the pull. I need to see if the pull can be repaired before hitting the trail.

Edit: as for the solar panel, I was thinking that too. Fairly heavy and kinda a poo poo brand that I haven't put through the Gauntlet. I need to weigh it without the panels (as I could cut them off) to see if I could start with the panels and determine if the weight is worth it over just starting with the Anker. I like the 24k MAH for my partner as well.

PoorHobo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 29, 2021

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I hope everyone got some nice swag for Christmas. I am new to backpacking, and I am still acquiring gear, so it was easy to make a list this year. Usually I just tell people I want to be left alone. Don't look at me, don't think about me, just let me go ride my bike. The wife's family loves to have "The Orgy of Presents" Christmas morning and they were very surprised and happy to get an actual list from me.

That said, I just went out and got my own poop shovel. It did not feet right asking someone to buy that for me. Some thing you just have to do yourself.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got mine on Craigslist at a steep discount.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My company's health insurance decided that fitness equipment is now a covered expense, so Merry Christmas to me and my new snowshoes

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

PoorHobo posted:

If you're going with another person maybe consider a bigger pot, if you are sharing the cooking set. 750mL makes a lot of sense for just one person, but trying to cook for two would suck. When I've gone backpacking with another person I usually just have them bring a bowl and I boil all water in my 900mL pot. It's nice to have a bigger pot if you want to make bigger servings and to avoid boil-over.

I really like those CNOC vecto bags instead of using the water bottles directly to fill. It's a lot faster.

Otherwise looks pretty good. Except the spork but that's personal preference.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got an Osprey Daylight Plus and now I just want to throw out all of my bags and backpacks and get Osprey everything.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012

cerious posted:

If you're going with another person maybe consider a bigger pot, if you are sharing the cooking set. 750mL makes a lot of sense for just one person, but trying to cook for two would suck. When I've gone backpacking with another person I usually just have them bring a bowl and I boil all water in my 900mL pot. It's nice to have a bigger pot if you want to make bigger servings and to avoid boil-over.

I really like those CNOC vecto bags instead of using the water bottles directly to fill. It's a lot faster.

Otherwise looks pretty good. Except the spork but that's personal preference.

I’ll definitely look into those bags. I know a lot of people cold soak so the size shouldn’t be a huge issue , but weight wouldn’t be a whole lot more.

Is that CNOC similar to the platypus bags I see?

With some testing, I think I agree. The scrape has annoyed me and it’s harder to store with the pointy edges. I saw that GG has a bamboo spoon that people seem to enjoy and is fairly lightweight.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
The CNOC Vecto bags have the slider openings on one end with a threaded cap on the other, so it's very fast to fill and you can set it up to gravity filter with the Sawyer Squeeze. I drink a ton of water so I stop frequently and the time saved was noticeable compared to the old sawyer bags I was using. That directly translated into more time hiking, it'll add up over the entire length of the PCT. Plus you can use it as a water bladder in the desert, I've used mine like that for dry stretches.

Basically anything that speeds you up will help out, besides just cutting weight. That's also why I like cold soaking if I need to do more miles, it's faster to make food and it lets me get more out of daylight hours to go hiking.

Oh and one more thing, look into ordering Permethrin sprays at your resupplies and applying to your clothes once you get into OR/WA or any bug heavy areas. That stuff really works, and unlike DEET you don't have to worry about it ruining your gear, or running out. It's entirely passive resistance and I've never had issues here in Oregon with bugs biting me through my clothes with it applied. You just spray it on your clothes, let them dry out, and they'll be good for a couple of weeks, then at your next resupply you just apply some more.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lots of :words: coming, sorry!

My 18 year old son wants to do a thru-hike of the American Discovery Trail (yeah, I know) in 2023 before he goes off to college in 2024. If he's serious about it - which he is right now, but that will likely change - I will go with him. Do I expect it to happen? Nah. I am supporting his idea, though. I want him to experience some adversity before we go so I'm planning some weekend and week-long trips this winter and spring, and a month long trip in the summer. Even if his ADT plans fall apart, I want to spend some time with him outdoors so this is a win-win for me- and it's an excuse to buy new toys. We live in Georgia (US) so in February we're going to the Cohutta Wilderness in N GA, and Big Frog in Tennessee. We'll be going no matter the weather forecast (within reason, safety wise) as long as the trails are open and accessible. I've done hiking all over the US and in SE Asia, and growing up I spent a lot of time in the GA mountains so I'm comfortable being outside. He has done some extended weekend backpacking up there too, but only in the spring and summer. I've told him it gets colder in the winter than he would expect - single digit nights are not uncommon in some parts of the Cohutta.

So anyway, I need to upgrade his Wal-Mart tier gear and replace some of my own. My stuff averages mid to high tier but is 20 years old at least (I still have my first Nalgene bottle that's 35 years old. Yay toxic plastics!), but the gear is all still usable. I'm going to have to buy two of some items, but only one of others.

I've read through some of the thread to get a general idea of the new hotness in tech (I haven't been backpacking much in the past decade), but I've got some specific things I need solid recs on.

Budget wise, I want to go ultralight for most things. I'm 50 and don't wanna lug around a bunch of weight more than I need to. He's 18 so gently caress him, I'll let him carry whatever he wants until he learns better :v:

Pack
I have a McGregor 55L, and a Lowe Contour 90L. The latter is a big mofo but I don't have a problem lugging it around. We'll use these for now but later this year I might replace them.

I'd prefer to haul all my stuff in something like the McGregor 55L, but that capacity might be a tad too small... maybe a 75ish? I'll need two of these.

Tent
I have an old 4 season Marmot dome of some kind, a heavy fucker, so I want to ditch that. I also have a Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym that I used the last few times I was outside, but I think I want to go back to a tent. Isaboo Jr. hasn't tried the hammock but he is fine sleeping on the ground. I'm 6'4" and he's 6'1"; I'd like something that allows us to sit upgright and not be hunched over. Also would like a bathtub floor.

This is one item I want to go ultralight with. So what's a good 3 season 2P UL? I'm gonna need two of 'em and the budget is ~$500 for each.
Let me know if I need a ground sheet, too.

I like this tarp/tent bundle, but I've never had a shelter system that uses trekking poles (I have a good pair of poles)- https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/haven-bundle. Maybe a standard 3 pole system would be better. I dunno.

Sleeping Bag/Quilt
I've got an REI 20degree down bag that's fine for now but it's pretty bulky and I need something more compressible. He has a Marmot 20 synthetic that's fine.

I think I want to try a quilt, so help me out.

Sleeping Pad
I've got an old SlumberJack self-inflating pad that's coming apart at the seams, but still serviceable with well applied gorilla tape. I definitely want to replace it now. He has my old RidgeRest so I'm gonna need two ultralight pads.

I think I like this guy but I don't see a size long enough for me- https://klymit.com/products/insulated-static-v-sleeping-pad?variant=31778110734426

Footwear
My old Lowa boots finally came apart. I think I'm gonna go back to trail runners though.
I've had Merrell Moabs and liked them, but both pairs developed the same problem over time- a spot worn out right above my heel that rubbed me raw.

So I need a rec for something like those, but not those. My son has Vasque boots that are better than anything I've ever had so he's fine there.
I love REI and Darn Tough wool socks so I'll get a bunch of those.

Aside from Crocs, what camp shoes might work for us?

Stove
I have a Trangia alcohol stove and I love that little fucker. I also have my ~25 year old MSR RapidFire stove. It's the kind that has a hose from the burner to the fuel can. It still burns like new but the stiff hose has always been a minor annoyance. I see the PocketRocket 2 mentioned a lot so I think I'll get one of those for him. I'll use my alcohol stove til the day I die, so I'm good.

The fuel canisters have changed since I last used the RF- they were the drink can style. How many minutes do the new pocketrocket style canisters provide? For an extended trip/thru hike, how do y'all manage fuel?

Clothes
We're good with the basic mid-layer stuff- most are the Kuhl and Prana brands. We both have Patagonia rain shells. I have REI rain pants I'm not sure I've ever used. A rain skirt might be cool to try.

Are capilene base layers still good/appropriate? I prefer wool in most cases, though.

What's a good all purpose, general use insulating outer layer for, let's say temperatures in the teens fahrenheit?

GPS
Thinking of a Garmin InReach Mini to replace my old Garmin Treksomething -

What subscription services would y'all recommend for it?

Headlamp
I lost the old BlackDiamond one I had but loved it. What's the popular BD lamp these days?

Watch
What's a good watch that has a few bells and whistles for backpacking? altimeter, etc. I don't need something that's overkill. I just want a cool toy/instrument. Analog vs digital doesn't matter.

Eyeglasses
I didn't wear corrective lenses the last time I was out. The pair I have now are sorta delicate. I know there are companies that specialize in eyewear for active people but I know nothing about them. What would y'all recommend for something sturdier?

My son has got me watching this dude's ADT videos, and I've been noting the gear he uses. His original tent flooded with what looked like 2 inches of water in his first couple of weeks, so that was a good lol. Out of maybe 6 random videos I've watched, I've counted 3 different tents and at least 2 different packs. I've told my son that if the ADT trip does work out, we'll be replacing some of our gear at least once so his bank account needs to be prepared for that. I'm buying his tent for him but he's paying for the other stuff he needs.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice y'all come up with!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 7, 2022

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've been looking into some Ultralight stuff for my upcoming PCT Thru. Since the climate is different, my sleep system might not work due to colder nights, and you might want to double up on water filtration due to less people helping out hikers on that trail. That being said, here's what I think for the categories below. (FWIW, I'm 6'4", 25 y/o, 175 lbs so my big and tall decisions should still work in the height range for you)

The biggest cost and weight are going to be in your big 4, which you have listed in these next 4.

Pack
The rule of ultralight is that you shouldn't be bringing anything more than what you need. Having a larger pack gives you more space to fill with what you don't need. The advice I've been given is to order your pack LAST so that you can purchase based on size of physical items you already have. I opted for the ULA Circut 68L bag that I got on craigslist. It weighs just about 2.25 lbs with waterproofed material.

Tent
50% more than your budget, the zPacks DupleXL is $750 for a 2 person tent meant for taller individuals. They claim the Dyneema is waterproof up to 15,000mm and that the bathtub floor is strong enough to forgo a groundsheet. I'd bring a Polycro one anyway because it's super light, cheap, and saves your tent for future trips.

Closer to your budget, but a tight squeeze, is the Gossamer Gear "The Two", which is what I purchased for myself ($325 on sale, $375 normally). It's waterproof up to 3000mm and held up in the latest CA Storm with 40 mph gusts.

Both of these need hiking poles to set up, but you should be hiking with those anyway.

Sleeping Bag/Quilt
This is where I know the least, and is up to debate on what is good. Synthetic is heavier, but resists getting waterlogged more and lasts longer. In the end, I went with another zPacks item, their classic 20* bag that I bought through Reddit for about $250. Weighs slightly over 20oz and has an incredibly warm footbox.

If you're buying new, the latest and greatest I've seen for thru-hikers is the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. Decently priced, and has an option for long/wide that will fit you if you're an active sleeper, long/reg for static.

Sleeping Pad
The sleeping pad I have is the Thermarest XLite Long, weighs about a pound with an R-Value of 4.4. It's the best weight to heat ratio I could find, but it is kinda crinkly to sleep on and has the ability to pop. Seems like most people purchase the Closed Cell Foam pads and cut them to size for weight savings. Cheap and light, and can work as a pack frame if you decide to go super light and get a frameless bag.

Footwear
Altra Lone Peak 5.0s are the hot ticket right now, but the Merrel MOABs are still highly regarded. Honorable mention is the Hoka One One trail runners. All should be in stock at REI and you can try them on to see which work best for you. I ended up with the Altras due to the tread, and larger footbox.

I don't really have knowledge on camp shoes. I've heard of people taking old insoles, and thrashing them to their feet with shoelaces, however. Light and if you have old shoes, free.

Stove
I have the pocket Rocket 2, and it is pretty dang loud. Not that much of an issue, but there's a reason it's called the rocket. I've heard good things about the snowpeak Litemax stove. It's a little lighter and a bit more expensive, but I've never heard a bad thing about it, or one ever breaking.

I've been able to get a good, 3-4 hours of burner time on my medium-sized can, which translates to around 90-120 minutes for the 4 oz that fits in my toaks 700 ml pot. At least on the PCT, there are enough towns that you can purchase a new can in town when you get there and if you run out in between towns, you just cold soak your food for a day or two.

Clothes
If you're interested in a rain skirt, and have a DIY bone in your body, there's a kit to make one relatively cheap out of Dyneema.

The outer layer champion is the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, although it's fairly expensive at $300. If you don't mind a little heavier, I've considered purchasing some stuff from Uniqlo in their ultralight down jackets. I would say to test it first, since I haven't heard of anyone else online talking about them.

GPS
Good call on the inReach Mini. I've been going back and forth on which subscription to buy, but it all boils down to if you have people at home who would worry about you. If you want to be left alone, the SOS button is really all you need, and maybe the cheapest plan to send text messages once in a while to say "we are okay" or something like that.

I'll be using an inReach with the mobile app "FarOut" on my phone.

Headlamp
Nitecore NU20 if you are hiking solo, Nitecore NU25 has a red light so you don't blind people when you look at them. Tips say to replace the headband with lashcord to save a few grams, but I'm not quite that hardcore yet.

Watch
The latest Apple Watch has that kinda stuff, if you're an apple user. Otherwise, Garmin's line of smartwatches has a few, including one that has a solar charger on the face so it can last almost indefinitely when GPS is off.

Edit: Here's my pack list if you're interested https://lighterpack.com/r/22653l

PoorHobo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 10, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Xero makes some seriously minimalist sandals. I use them as camp shoes.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/product-category/sandals-mens/

E: oh, drat, I just noticed you're headed to the Cohuttas. That's my old backyard. I might be able to help if you ever want to run your itinerary by us.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 10, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I want to get a GoPro or something, are there particular models I should avoid on Ebay ? Are there other decent camera companies worth looking at? No particular budget, just no way I can justify spending $600 CAD on a toy lol.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I too bought a MSR Guardian after years of sawyer squeeze. 299€ in verkkokauppa.com. The squeeze bag was a loving pain to fill. I got a cnoc bag which solved THAT issue, but the filter gets super stuck and full of crap so fast. I can filter maybe 1-2L then it's stuck. Even a filter with pristine flow gets stuck very fast in Finland. There's so much garbage in the waters. So I finally got enough of the backflush and got the Guardian for 299€.

It should backflush automatically and not get clogged. In theory. We'll see how it works. Anyways with the pump you can improve the speed too. It weighs 500g but if I can carry only 1L of water instead of 2-3L of water I can save up to 1,4kg of weight with it or something like that.

I always filtered 2-3L of water with sawyer because it was a real pain. I have a 80L Seek Outside backpack so stuff fits in there. Sometimes I think I should have gotten the 100L bag, if for nothing else, then food... well Unaweep 6300 bag only iis $239 so maybe I should buy it anyways some day.

-------

2nd thing I bought is Cumulus Panyam 450 sleeping bag. Custom made in Poland in XL length. Length extension added extra 50g of down so total of 500g. Bag weighs 900g. My quilt+down hoodie are around 800g so for a 100g extra I can hopefully sleep warm in future. I can't sleep still the whole night and drafts suck and strapping the quilt to mattress sucks and hgnhh. I just want to throw the bag in there and go to sleep. Worth the extra 100g.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Called California BLM to see if they allow alcohol stoves or not, and of course the person on the phone didn't even know what they are :v:

Seems like if campfires are ok, alcohol stoves should be too... That's one thing about the Trangia, I love this stove but I worry to use it sometimes because restrictions say "gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized gas stoves are ok" without explicitly saying whether liquid fuel is banned or allowed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alcohol stoves, in operation, are pressurized gas.

It's not a *lot* of pressure, granted, but the heat of burning alcohol vaporizes liquid alcohol inside the stove and turns it into vapor that gets pushed out the jets.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think the line of thought is that your normal canister stove has a shut off valve whereas alcohol stoves do not. At least thats the reasoning I've read about.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

A few pages back I asked about breathable non stretchy pants, ended up going with the Fjallraven Vidda Pro as someone recommended and they have been incredible, perfectly articulated joints and great breathability.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Speaking of the Fjallraven stuff, how does it do with waterproofness? The blend it uses makes me concerned, but not concerned enough to not buy a Jacket #68 I saw used at a smoking price. It seems like the generally agreed upon approach for their fabric is to skip the Greenland wax and go right to Tech Wash and Cotton Proof. It seems ok so far but I worry about having a really bad time of it if I get caught in a down pour and it soaks through.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

G-1000 (and similar polycotton fabrics) will never be completely waterproof, unless you Plasti-Dip it or something.

At most, you will get "quite water-resistant", but it will not match the performance of a proper rain jacket.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Yeah, I got one of the lighter fjallravens to replace a softshell and it’s a good fit. Water resistant but definitely not waterproof with a few layers of their brand wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Maybe I wouldn't use it in a rainstorm but I took it out snowshoeing yesterday no problem.

Also the local store in my area will apparently re-apply the wax for free.