Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gohuskies posted:

I have a quick Disco Elysium question - it's noon on the first day and I've mostly been just doing stuff around the starting building, but it seems like I'm starting to hit dead ends. Is it a good idea to keep trying to resolve stuff here or should I go start wandering the map?

Do whatever you want, as tons of stuff to progress the game will not open up to you no matter what you do until days two and three. On day three you can get access to an infinite free bed if you want to stop sleeping at the hotel, if that also impacts your decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's very difficult without lucky rolls to progress very far if you don't go exploring. Your primary focus at the start should be the corpse behind the bar, but it's unlikely you'll manage to deal with the situation on the first try and the means to retry lie elsewhere, so go explore.

Okay, yeah I haven't gotten the body down yet and I wasn't sure if that was like the first big quest thing you're supposed to resolve before you go off into the world, but I'll just start walking.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Or just ignore the body entirely. Do what you feel like.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gohuskies posted:

I have a quick Disco Elysium question - it's noon on the first day and I've mostly been just doing stuff around the starting building, but it seems like I'm starting to hit dead ends. Is it a good idea to keep trying to resolve stuff here or should I go start wandering the map?

It's sort of a no lose game, in which what you do or don't do can basically result in a completely unique playthrough each time.

You'll want to explore what you can just for the sake of exploration, but if you use the time to score drugs and booze or try to investigate the crime you can find completely different things.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 9, 2022

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
DE is kind of a game about being a hosed up nightmare of a person.

Unless you find yourself chilling with Measurehead on a couch talking about the mysteries of wömen, you're probably on a better path than you were at the start of the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's also a very good game to replay and try different things with in the future

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

it's also a very good game to replay and try different things with in the future

Apparently letting Kim get shot results in such a massive difference for the last Act someone was begging people to try it in the game thread even if everyone was calling them a monster.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 9, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

flatluigi posted:

I actually played it exactly once and never will again. The story it told and the way it all hit me was such an emotional experience that I don't want to play it again and take away that memory.

Game is really loving good, in different ways, for different people. Masterpiece tbh

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pentyne posted:

Apparently "Significant Spoiler posted in the Before I Play thread.

Hey could you not?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I actually played it exactly once and never will again. The story it told and the way it all hit me was such an emotional experience that I don't want to play it again and take away that memory.

Game is really loving good, in different ways, for different people. Masterpiece tbh
I'm kind of in the same boat, and I suspect it was a far more linear experience than it pretends - which I don't really mind that much these days tbf, I don't replay games often and it gave the pretense of choice perfectly to tell the story it wanted to tell

lmao

PERSON A: hey, what do I need to know going into this elaborate story game?

PERSON B: here's some stuff you should ponder over in advance! *posts bullet point list summary of all the major plot events in detail*

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 9, 2022

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Glad I missed that particular spoiler post.

Anyway, for Vampire Survivors, I don't have a ton since it's a pretty straight forward game, but one that wasn't immediately evident to me for the first hour or so:

The monsters wreathed in a blue outline and the ones that are way bigger than normal have a chance to drop a treasure chest. In addition to the chest including equipment upgrades, it also gives you a big chunk of gold all in one lump sum, which makes them doubly worth going for if you'd like to unlock characters and meta progression at a reasonable pace.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

gohuskies posted:

Wandering is a good idea and will sometimes give you modifiers to make the dead end not-so-dead for you when you come back around. The only real loss states are what the game tells you outright is Not Good (like taking fatal damage without a healing item or when performing an action that will end your run) and if you can't settle your sleeping situation. Do your best, but accept some mistakes as it's part of the experience. Even if you get snake-eyes on a 97% chance like I've had before. :v:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

gohuskies posted:

Time does not advance unless you are exploring a new conversation path (or using certain items I think?).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zaodai posted:

Glad I missed that particular spoiler post.

Anyway, for Vampire Survivors, I don't have a ton since it's a pretty straight forward game, but one that wasn't immediately evident to me for the first hour or so:

The monsters wreathed in a blue outline and the ones that are way bigger than normal have a chance to drop a treasure chest. In addition to the chest including equipment upgrades, it also gives you a big chunk of gold all in one lump sum, which makes them doubly worth going for if you'd like to unlock characters and meta progression at a reasonable pace.

Additionally: Once you unlock the second map (Inlaid Library) don't be afraid to play it. It's arguably easier than the map you start on, so don't feel like you need to beat the first map before playing it.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any tips for Outriders? Just started and trying to pick a class. Can I swap down the road? What’s good for playing solo?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Monster Hunter Rise comes to pc in about a day.

The wiki only has three tips but I know how these games can have some important, but not clearly explained features or techniques.

moosecow333 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 10, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

gohuskies posted:

make sure you save often, you might die if you pick the wrong conversation dialogue and have to go back an hour to your last autosave

also you have to find enough money to stay at the inn on the second or third night or else the game just softlocks and it's impossible to progress

there might be a fun game after that (or more bullshit) but that's where i stopped playing

edit: apparently that softlock has been patched out so i guess my advice is just don't say anything negative about disco elysium on the internet

Spokes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 19, 2022

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

moosecow333 posted:

Monster Hunter Rise comes to pc in about a day.

The wiki only has three tips but I know how these games can have some important, but not clearly explained features or techniques.

That page is oddly lacking. A lot of the same tips from the series apply but here goes what I remember:

-You can fast travel around Kamura village from the map screen. The map will even highlight spots where you can pick up quests or rewards from the townspeople.
-The item shops will occasionally have sales, so you can stock up at 50% off. This is also when you can pay to enter the lottery for rare rewards, which is worth it over the long run.
-Always eat dango before a quest since it increases stamina and HP. Combining different dango lets you choose 3 temporary boosters that'll apply in a single quest. Pay with money, and save your points for other things.
-If this is your first time playing monster hunter, take your time to do the Village quests and get comfortable with one or two weapons. Save the Hub quests until you're up to 3-star village quests or at least until a friend can guide you through the Hub.
-Hub quests scale to the number of players in your party. There's three tiers based one player, two players, and four players. This is to say that you're at a disadvantage if you run with three party members, since the game will scale for four.
-Frequently upgrade your equipment, at least once per Quest rank (1 star to 2 star, etc).
-On the topic of armour, try to experiment with the preset skills. Combine skills that apply to your weapon of choice, and feel free to use a guide because there's a lot of them.
-Don't shy away from "ugly" armour since the early gear is very much temporary. Get the skills you want now and later on you can apply cosmetic "layered armour" for the look you want.
-It's generally recommended you avoid bowguns (and related armour skills) until later in the game. This is because they require ammo, and crafting it can take a heavy toll on your resources and money. While bowguns have a "Normal 1" ammo that's infinite, it's also very weak.
-Note that Bows have infinite arrows but limited coatings. This means your damage will drop dramatically if you run out of coatings, which can be tough when playing alone.
-Create a separate set of armour for resource gathering purposes, which will help reduce the grind when you're grabbing plants and ore. The Leather and Chainmail sets both have skills that can help early on.
-Also, try to save the majority of your resource gathering for Expeditions. This is for three reasons: 1) Expeditions don't have time limits or completion goals, unlike like monster hunts; 2) gathering skills are often on weaker armour that won't help you fight monsters; and 3) if you're playing online, people will notice that you're halfway across the map scouring for cacti.
-Don't neglect buddy plaza, it's across the rope bridge into the forest. Check in frequently to passively collect additional materials and resources. The NPCs there will also ask you to do quests to upgrade their offerings.
-Buddy plaza is where you access the training area. This is a great place to try out new weapon types, especially bowguns and bows. The training area will provide you infinite ammo and infinite coatings as long as you have at least one in your item box. So collect them during the shop sale, or craft one of your own if you have spare resources.
-Once you get the Meowcenaries in Buddy plaza, make sure to send them out every five quests. The game will tell you they've returned with goodies, then send them out again. This cycle works perfectly as a reminder to check the top of a certain tree nearby...

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any tips for Outriders? Just started and trying to pick a class. Can I swap down the road? What’s good for playing solo?

I went in blind. Here is what I found. Decent little game that scratched my Destiny 2 itch without having to deal with Content Vaults and seasons and such.

Once you pick a character you are locked in. Respecs are free and you can do them anywhere, so play around with builds.

You basically have 2 exp bars. Character exp, and world rank. You lose world rank exp from dying, but not character exp.

Devastator is easy mode for playing. Stack hit point gear and go middle tree, and you will never die.

Shotguns are slow to fire and have incredibly small magazines. You also have to be right up in someone's face, like comically close

Don't sell any of your gear, melt it to save the materials for later on

Cover system is nice, but if it's not your jam and you want to go full shootmans mode, its doable.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PRL412 posted:

That page is oddly lacking. A lot of the same tips from the series apply but here goes what I remember:

-Hub quests scale to the number of players in your party. There's three tiers based one player, two players, and four players. This is to say that you're at a disadvantage if you run with three party members, since the game will scale for four.

It's been a while but this should only be true for World, not Rise. Rise has 1, 2, 3, or 4 player scaling.

To add one brief thing to the tips:

-In the Buddy Plaza, walk around the backside of the tree the sealed shrine is in. On the backside are some vines you can climb, and once at the top if you look out to the left you'll see a nest. Visit this nest every few quests and gather from it for free stuff related to training buddies in the buddy plaza.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm playing Into the Breach and it's really good time but are there any recommendations what should I buy with my reputation? Should I always buy lots of power cores first or use the remaining half on new weapons?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It depends. Get a weapon if you see one that looks like it would help your current build, or shore up one of your weaknesses. Aside from that, though, I priorities power cores highly; it's better to have a mech that does its normal job well than to have a half-assed multipurpose one. Which is a testament to the team-design, I guess.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Spokes posted:

make sure you save often, you might die if you pick the wrong conversation dialogue and have to go back an hour to your last autosave

also you have to find enough money to stay at the inn on the second or third night or else the game just softlocks and it's impossible to progress

there might be a fun game after that (or more bullshit) but that's where i stopped playing

lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Spokes posted:

I don't think this is an actual softlock, you should be able to find a secondary place to sleep. Although that might need you to spec into hobocop

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It was a softlock when the game first came out but I think they patched it at some point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's never going to be another period of time quite like when Disco Elysium first came out and you could tell so much about people from if they like DE, and if not, why not.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I dunno I would be pretty mad about a softlock for making the wrong choice in a supposedly "play any way you want" game. That said, I absolutely own the game and am excited to eventually play it. Particularly now that I know the secret of Money Or Hobo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't think this is an actual softlock, you should be able to find a secondary place to sleep. Although that might need you to spec into hobocop

if you think you're locked out of something, then you've just haven't found a chance to become a pathetic miserable wretch sobbing and begging anyone and everyone for help or compromised your values & morals for the sake of convenience

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm playing Into the Breach and it's really good time but are there any recommendations what should I buy with my reputation? Should I always buy lots of power cores first or use the remaining half on new weapons?

I find that getting a weapon upgrade that does 3 damage is the top priority, since being able to one shot 3 hp enemies does wonders for your action economy. After that, getting movement upgrades for all your mechs is important as positioning is everything in the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pentyne posted:

if you think you're locked out of something, then you've just haven't found a chance to become a pathetic miserable wretch sobbing and begging anyone and everyone for help or compromised your values & morals for the sake of convenience
My favorite way to resolve that issue is directly asking for a bribe from a dilettante for exactly as much as you owe.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I dunno I would be pretty mad about a softlock for making the wrong choice in a supposedly "play any way you want" game.

yeah and then you google it and see a bunch of other people have asked the same question and the dev responded "heh, yeah, that's how it goes buddy!!!!" -- it's enough to turn you off it lol

i mean, the reviews speak for themselves; it's clearly a very popular and well-respected game. i just figured this is something you should know before you play it for the first time!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Spokes posted:

yeah and then you google it and see a bunch of other people have asked the same question and the dev responded "heh, yeah, that's how it goes buddy!!!!" -- it's enough to turn you off it lol

i mean, the reviews speak for themselves; it's clearly a very popular and well-respected game. i just figured this is something you should know before you play it for the first time!

And then like a month later addressed the complaints by patching in an event where Kim will pony up some poo poo to pawn off if you still don't have the money, totally eliminating the soft lock. This is a non issue now, and has been for a while. You are allowed to not like the game, but don't lie to people to try and turn them off from it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

And then like a month later addressed the complaints by patching in an event where Kim will pony up some poo poo to pawn off if you still don't have the money, totally eliminating the soft lock. This is a non issue now, and has been for a while. You are allowed to not like the game, but don't lie to people to try and turn them off from it.

oh, that's helpful -- i'll edit my first post accordingly

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

someone should amend the wiki for that because those tips referring to it, if you otherwise blind, can sap the fun out of the first couple days

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
here's an odd request: Fallen London, the browser game. It's obtuse and mysterious as all hell and I generally love it, but it's far from obvious (for instance) what all this stuff in my inventory does, what can be safely sold and when, what counts as "progression".

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Sleekly posted:

someone should amend the wiki for that because those tips referring to it, if you otherwise blind, can sap the fun out of the first couple days

I've removed those references.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

you could tell so much about people from if they like DE, and if not, why not.
...as immediately proven by the thread :allears:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's the only game that replicates the sheer glee of tabletop roleplaying when somebody fails a dice roll. Messing up is fun.

I missed a couple 'quests' in my first playthrough and tried figuring out a min-max way of doing everything. It sucked and then I realized it would be so much more fun to try a playthrough where I completely refuse to acknowledge the possibility that I might be a cop.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm playing hollow knight and i've found a bug dude who wants to buy journals and crests off me, is there any reason not to sell them to him, and is there anything later to not sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I'm playing hollow knight and i've found a bug dude who wants to buy journals and crests off me, is there any reason not to sell them to him, and is there anything later to not sell?

The only reason not to sell (and it's a minor one) everything right away is if you're afraid of dying and losing the money. If you're worried about buying some big ticket item later and don't want to stress running around with a ton of coin, just keep the journals and crests and sell them when you have enough