Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Desiderata posted:

as it starts to churn the air inside and cavitate.

FWIW, it's not cavitation, since the differential pressure is too low between upstream and downstream.

Others have already posted options, but when it was removed, did you try to have it set at equal elevation horizontally, and then move the radiator higher while shaking/moving the pump assembly in order to force the air out of the impeller chamber?

Even if placement is correct, if there is a decent amount of air within the pump where the impeller resides, a not-insignificant amount would probably remain even during operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Thank all for your suggestions. Am gonna give it yet another remounting with an eye to air bubbles and flow. drat thing just near over-heated while making odd glugging sounds from the pump just watching a youtube video, something very wrong here.

Failing that, am considering buying something fancy at nightmarish prices, as part 1 of my next machine (this box is a good 10 years long in the tooth). Then looking at dissembling and refilling the 980ti, in the confidence it is not vital anymore, but if I can get it running again it makes good backfill. A terrible to time to go shopping.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Desiderata posted:

Thank all for your suggestions. Am gonna give it yet another remounting with an eye to air bubbles and flow. drat thing just near over-heated while making odd glugging sounds from the pump just watching a youtube video, something very wrong here.

Failing that, am considering buying something fancy at nightmarish prices, as part 1 of my next machine (this box is a good 10 years long in the tooth). Then looking at dissembling and refilling the 980ti, in the confidence it is not vital anymore, but if I can get it running again it makes good backfill. A terrible to time to go shopping.

I agree that it seems low on fluid but for now with the system running maybe tilt your case around and see if you might have an air bubble somewhere that can't escape causing untoward headache.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

With image scaling on my 3840x2160 tv, I'm not getting the right aspect ratios on the scaling resolutions that show up. I found someone with this same problem: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/480719/nvidia-span-classhighlightimagespan-span-classhigh/

It sounds like my cheap TCL tv might not be giving the right display information to the driver, even though Nvidia Control Panel seems to understand I am running 16:9 native. Is there any way I can see what information the driver has and maybe change it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

With image scaling on my 3840x2160 tv, I'm not getting the right aspect ratios on the scaling resolutions that show up. I found someone with this same problem: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/480719/nvidia-span-classhighlightimagespan-span-classhigh/

It sounds like my cheap TCL tv might not be giving the right display information to the driver, even though Nvidia Control Panel seems to understand I am running 16:9 native. Is there any way I can see what information the driver has and maybe change it?

Wonder if your TV has some other aspect ratio adjustments going on in a menu somewhere?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Nvidia rep there recommends using Custom Resolution Utility, and that could be helpful here too. It modifies your monitor's EDID, the information it sends to your computer about the device's capabilities basically. There are normally a lot of standard resolutions in the EDID, so the existence of those shouldn't be throwing nvidia's drivers off, but maybe you could try removing the non-16:9 ones anyway. Be sure to look in the extension blocks too.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Also, always use GPU scaling rather than display scaling. It costs essentially nothing to do scaling on GPU, it gives you the option of integer scaling, and it generally avoids these type of problems.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Also, always use GPU scaling rather than display scaling. It costs essentially nothing to do scaling on GPU, it gives you the option of integer scaling, and it generally avoids these type of problems.

He's talking about Nvidia Image Scaling, which is GPU scaling.

This is not a problem with windows' display scaling if that's what you're referring to. And that's generally far superior to GPU scaling when it comes to windows desktop stuff, in my experience.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Wonder if your TV has some other aspect ratio adjustments going on in a menu somewhere?

I checked out the menus but couldn't find much about the actual input. I can switch the HDMI mode between Auto, Compatibility, and Standard but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Nvidia rep there recommends using Custom Resolution Utility, and that could be helpful here too. It modifies your monitor's EDID, the information it sends to your computer about the device's capabilities basically. There are normally a lot of standard resolutions in the EDID, so the existence of those shouldn't be throwing nvidia's drivers off, but maybe you could try removing the non-16:9 ones anyway. Be sure to look in the extension blocks too.

This looks like it might be very helpful. I tried CRU but I can't figure out where the resolutions are reflected. I deleted all the established resolutions and detailed resolutions:

But that doesn't seem to change the resolutions available in display settings or the Nvidia Control Panel. After I used restart.exe and after restarting Windows the resolution list still has all these entries even though they no longer show up in CRU. Any idea why CRU doesn't seem to change things? I have Windows 11 but didn't see anything about lack of support.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

He's talking about Nvidia Image Scaling, which is GPU scaling.

This is not a problem with windows' display scaling if that's what you're referring to. And that's generally far superior to GPU scaling when it comes to windows desktop stuff, in my experience.

I'm talking about output scaling. You always want your GPU outputting the target device's native resolution, and handling all resolution upscaling itself. For whatever reason, Nvidia defaults to outputting the display resolution and letting the display scale, which has numerous downsides in terms of image quality and latency. I'm not sure if this has any impact or not when using the 3d image scaling option (it probably shouldn't, since the output should be native anyway), but it's still where I'd start. It should definitely eliminate any impact that display settings or CRU could possibly have, since once it's turned on the GPU will only ever output to the monitor at native res.

Are you trying to run something like 85% scaling or are you trying for 1080p? If you just want 1080p, setting up integer scaling and having the GPU output 4k is definitely the proper solution, but if you want in between render resolutions upscaled the solution is probably somewhere along the lines you're already working.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 9, 2022

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I'm talking about output scaling. You always want your GPU outputting native resolution, and handling all resolution upscaling itself. For whatever reason, Nvidia defaults to outputting the display resolution and letting the display scale, which has numerous downsides in terms of image quality and latency. I'm not sure if this has any impact or not when using the 3d image scaling option (it probably shouldn't, since the output should be native anyway), but it's still where I'd start.

Are you trying to run something like 85% scaling or are you trying for 1080p? If you just want 1080p, setting up integer scaling and having the GPU output 4k is definitely the proper solution, but if you want in-between resolutions the solution is probably somewhere along the lines you're already working.

I have a GTX 1660 so to play modern games with more detail I'd like to turn the scaling to 77%, where the card only has to push 59% of the pixels it would at 4K. My understanding is that Nvidia Image Scaling provides a low-tech version of DLSS to blow up lower resolution video, which seems ideal.

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
We getting a surprise launch on Tuesday?

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-to-unveil-geforce-rtx-3080-12-gb-graphics-card-on-11th-january/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A 3080 refresh? In this economy??

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

A 3080 refresh? In this economy??

Refresh 3080, raise price, stop making older, cheaper 3080 - profit

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If I read the linked table right -- at 12GB, the new 3070Ti seems to have more VRAM than the new 3080. Is that odd? I mean I guess they want to differentiate the 3090, but still, you could have given them at least parity with the next lower class.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

$280 is kind of a lot to pay for a 1050 ti. How much is the 1650 going for these days? I thought that was going for around $300 at retail last I heard.

I just sold my 3 year Vega 56 for $50 more than I paid for it, using my old 1050 ti for the next week or two while I upgrade… can’t believe there is still a market for these cards. The absolute state of the GPU market…

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

If I read the linked table right -- at 12GB, the new 3070Ti seems to have more VRAM than the new 3080. Is that odd? I mean I guess they want to differentiate the 3090, but still, you could have given them at least parity with the next lower class.

It's the usual awkwardness with different bus widths - the new 3080 has a 384bit bus so the increments of memory they can use are 12GB/24GB/48GB, but the new 3070ti has a 256bit bus so the possible increments are 8GB/16GB/32GB

They decided the new 3070ti needs more than 8GB, so it had to be 16GB, which is more than the 12GB they settled on for the new 3080 because 24GB would be too much and tread on the 3090s niche

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So what are they going to call it? "3080 almos-ti"?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
3080 Bi

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is that bee-eye or bye?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Indiana_Krom posted:

So what are they going to call it? "3080 almos-ti"?

3080 +$150

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

3080 Tiny

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

3080 XT lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
3081, to accommodate the next nine releases

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is that bee-eye or bye?

Bismuth

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yo i bet bismuth and RGB would look sick together

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Welp, my gaming PC finally turned into a paperweight the other day, changing my desire to build a new PC from "Maybe I'll get on it when GPU prices normalize" to "I guess I'll camp out in front of a Best Buy and fight any little kids who try to cut in lines for a GPU."

Does anyone recommend a guide to getting a GPU for close to MSRP in this market? Twitter accounts to follow? Bots to install? Do sex favors for scalpers?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Welp, my gaming PC finally turned into a paperweight the other day, changing my desire to build a new PC from "Maybe I'll get on it when GPU prices normalize" to "I guess I'll camp out in front of a Best Buy and fight any little kids who try to cut in lines for a GPU."

Does anyone recommend a guide to getting a GPU for close to MSRP in this market? Twitter accounts to follow? Bots to install? Do sex favors for scalpers?

You can get them for close to MSRP pretty easily if you buy a pre-built! :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hope you live near a Microcenter and work second shift imo.

There are a few discords mentioned upthread that you can join, but your only real shot is the occasional Best Buy drop as Amazon is a utter lost cause to bots. You can also potentially get a card in an actual Best Buy store if someone orders one online and doesn’t actually pick it up. Best odds there are to periodically check the app for “RTX” and toggle the local stock option to see if one pops up.

Edit- or a prebuilt if you were considering a full rebuild as mentioned.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

are you really in tokyo

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The easiest thing is micro enter, second is to get lucky with a Best Buy return (check alan smithee’s posts itt for a google doc guide) if you have a lot of physical Best Buy’s near you. If you post your zip someone might look for you. Or Newegg shuffle, though odds are low. Succeeding through online retailer drops is insanely hard.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Bestbuy had a nice thing going doing physical drops every month for awhile. If you had a drop within reasonable driving distance and were willing to take the consumerist plunge of camping outside of a store you were basically assured of getting at least a 3070, guess the fights breaking out removed any PR onus they had to do that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they were alright when they first start but once they got going pokemon card hoarders figured out how to meta you out of a card.

usually by muscling you out with their :zerg:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

Succeeding through online retailer drops is insanely hard.

As someone with no access to any local stores, god don't I know it. When the time comes where I finally upgrade I am likely just going to have to have a friend in Canada buy a card for me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Does anyone recommend a guide to getting a GPU for close to MSRP in this market?

If your PC is at all salvageable, try to fix what's broken. Buying new GPUs is a nightmare unless you're willing to pay ebay scalpers.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

are you really in tokyo

Sadly not anymore.

Inept posted:

If your PC is at all salvageable, try to fix what's broken. Buying new GPUs is a nightmare unless you're willing to pay ebay scalpers.

Lol, you might be right. :argh:

I'm 99% sure my old graphics card is still functional. Can I just plug in my 970 GTX (with PCI 3) riser into a new motheboard with PCI 4?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sadly not anymore.

Lol, you might be right. :argh:

I'm 99% sure my old graphics card is still functional. Can I just plug in my 970 GTX (with PCI 3) riser into a new motheboard with PCI 4?

where are you

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

S.F. Bay Area

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yes, that would work fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

go to central