Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Jonny 290 posted:

TBH if broadsword manages to pull their head out of their rear end and realize that they have a very short but very open window to relaunch a classic vibes server and yoink people back, i'll go back there. I'm not hosed up about paying a few bucks a month and even running two accounts (i like pet classes so having a buffbot means i'm double powered-up, i don't have any problem with buffbots if the alternative is 50 delve shitbuffs like Phoenix). we will see. i have no real hope but wouldn't mind being surprised by live

I'm watching them closely now as well since just this week I was able to get my old account linked, and if I choose to sub, I have my old characters on Percival I can transfer for free.

Honestly this is a good game, it's just got some design choices I don't care for. It was mentioned earlier, but melee combat is a lot of fun. I have a blast with my infiltrator using poisons and positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Why did Phoenix shutdown?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tanreall posted:

Why did Phoenix shutdown?

Dwindling playerbase. There's a post about it on their forums but they seem resigned to the fact that private servers have a natural boom-bust cycle that they benefitted from but are now suffering from. Many private servers use seasons to manage this but that doesn't really make sense for Phoenix -- a server that is both built on being fixed to one period of the game, and one where absolutely no one cares about anything besides the endgame PvP.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The Celestius server sounds pretty interesting just because they're actually trying new stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

admanb posted:

Dwindling playerbase. There's a post about it on their forums but they seem resigned to the fact that private servers have a natural boom-bust cycle that they benefitted from but are now suffering from. Many private servers use seasons to manage this but that doesn't really make sense for Phoenix -- a server that is both built on being fixed to one period of the game, and one where absolutely no one cares about anything besides the endgame PvP.

my take is that it was run by some really power tripping admins that got Bored just running a nice, clean server where people could play some reasonably old school daoc. they started loving with things - first the fake artifacts, which was a huge bust, then they announced their stupid pve revamp idea that everybody hated, and then gruenes leaked that they were looking at doing a wipe/reset for a 'seasons' server. people got sick of it and got salty, and the admins did not know how to deal with criticism so they took their ball and went home.

---

Anyways, a couple of us are pondering checking out live for a month, actually. I have a very hooked up main account and a competent bot account (including a dedicated molvik bot) and dont care about chuckin $30 for a month of experimentation at them (just don't even try playing on a free account. its slow and sad) to see how NA primetime rvr is. Just be prepared to hit all the loving buttons for your MLs and CLs and whatnot. I'll PL some scrubs if you need a hand, my cabby is untouchable at the pygmies

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
It's because DAoC is dead as gently caress, the playerbase is extremely small, and it's the same people that have been playing the same private servers for 10 years. They get burnt out and leave, come back, leave.

DAoC cannot retain new players. It's far too old and janky. Every soul over the years that I've convinced to give it a whirl cannot get past the movement and general stiffness of everything.

Seasonal server would own, though. And frankly these servers just need to allow 2 boxing. Whether it's farming charge items, or alchemy, it's all the loving same.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

my take is that it was run by some really power tripping admins that got Bored just running a nice, clean server where people could play some reasonably old school daoc. they started loving with things - first the fake artifacts, which was a huge bust, then they announced their stupid pve revamp idea that everybody hated, and then gruenes leaked that they were looking at doing a wipe/reset for a 'seasons' server. people got sick of it and got salty, and the admins did not know how to deal with criticism so they took their ball and went home.

---

Anyways, a couple of us are pondering checking out live for a month, actually. I have a very hooked up main account and a competent bot account (including a dedicated molvik bot) and dont care about chuckin $30 for a month of experimentation at them (just don't even try playing on a free account. its slow and sad) to see how NA primetime rvr is. Just be prepared to hit all the loving buttons for your MLs and CLs and whatnot. I'll PL some scrubs if you need a hand, my cabby is untouchable at the pygmies

Uthgard went down the same road, admins there were some grade A dipshits.

Please update your Live trip report. I've got a few decked out chars on live. I don't think there's any new items or anything that would make my templates irrelevant.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the hard interrupt system just really murders any attractiveness to new players

as well as the vintage '03 UI

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually got to the level cap when I played live recently but I was really intimidated by the non-BG PvP you do at 50 and never bothered to try to ask for help. Perhaps I will return and try it again some day.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

PriNGLeS posted:

Every soul over the years that I've convinced to give it a whirl cannot get past the movement and general stiffness of everything.

Movement is one of my top requirements in a game, and why I lasted so long in World of Warcraft. It's butter smooth running and strafing, and when I push the keyboard to go forward, I go forward... These game devs that seem to think we want realistic movement can't be real players.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

PriNGLeS posted:

It's because DAoC is dead as gently caress, the playerbase is extremely small, and it's the same people that have been playing the same private servers for 10 years. They get burnt out and leave, come back, leave.

DAoC cannot retain new players. It's far too old and janky. Every soul over the years that I've convinced to give it a whirl cannot get past the movement and general stiffness of everything.

Seasonal server would own, though. And frankly these servers just need to allow 2 boxing. Whether it's farming charge items, or alchemy, it's all the loving same.

I have to agree with the janky movement.

All the times i tried to play this game, i can't get over how terrible the movement is. Even UO had better movement.

The PvP mechanics are solid in this game (to me at least) but when i move my character, i'd like him to move.

Might as well replace your character with a plank of wood that takes 2 minutes to walk 2 feet.

I understand the games very old, and im not sure how hard or cost effective remaking the character movement/W S A D would be.

But it would be great if they did.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

FreeWifi!! posted:

I have to agree with the janky movement.

All the times i tried to play this game, i can't get over how terrible the movement is. Even UO had better movement.

The PvP mechanics are solid in this game (to me at least) but when i move my character, i'd like him to move.

Might as well replace your character with a plank of wood that takes 2 minutes to walk 2 feet.

I understand the games very old, and im not sure how hard or cost effective remaking the character movement/W S A D would be.

But it would be great if they did.

It's not an age thing, this game came out at the same time as Anarchy Online which has movement that is just fine and dandy. Same with Everquest 1 and Asheron's Call which predate it by a couple of years. It had to be a design decision at the time, with the positional melee and hard interrupts in casting it kind of makes sense but it still feels bad. You literally have to only play daoc for a couple of weeks to get used to it, and as soon as you play anything else it feels bad again.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

PriNGLeS posted:

It's not an age thing, this game came out at the same time as Anarchy Online which has movement that is just fine and dandy. Same with Everquest 1 and Asheron's Call which predate it by a couple of years. It had to be a design decision at the time, with the positional melee and hard interrupts in casting it kind of makes sense but it still feels bad. You literally have to only play daoc for a couple of weeks to get used to it, and as soon as you play anything else it feels bad again.

haha yeah that's the truth, and I think this horse is well and truly beaten. It's like playing tag in an old age home...

Once you're up to speed, it's ok, it's just that they implemented some kind of realism in the acceleration and deceleration that is just awful. I feel like they could remove it, and not affect the game play at all.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

The truth is we like bad video games

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got the brotherland 2 thing set up and i logged in and man i just do not know if i can do the whole level thing again

i templated ten 50's by myself on phoenix ugh give them baaaaack

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
What's the population like on brotherland?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

From discord it appears the 8man community plays on Celetius, which I don't believe is fully live st the minute but I always notifications that they're having a draft nightly however that functions.

I might check it out in time but honestly I believe Phoenix will return with few lessons learned and slightly tweaked experience, and don't really want to get into another private server.

knox fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 19, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
<hot take> i'm not on the 8man discords and won't be in the loop when they throw matches, so i'm avoiding celestius. I did do an evening after my last post on BL and just....yeah i can't.

i've got a huge new gpu on the way so will be playing other gaems this fall, kinda standing by. i had really good fun with the goons (and FoA) on phoenix but it's okay to step away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok so seems like celestius is gonna end up the place to be. anybody wanna give it a shot with me? launches on jan 8th.

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004
Interesting choice for them to include ToA mechanics. I'll check it out when it drops.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the tldr is that it's a cashless, craftless server with TOA abilities and a custom patch level with various fixes from throughout the years. the devs seem to have been working hard and im kind of impressed with what theyve come up with so far. it is absolutely not a 'classic' server, but you won't have to grind toa to get your fancy gear. I think right now you can wear up to 3 artifacts, you get drops like phoenix feathers from pve or rvr for buying stuff, your level 50 gear will cap classic stats and you can kill Medusa or something to get a ring that gives you the TOA stats. for those who were in Federation of Albion on phoenix, it sounds like they're all headed that way.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just did an hour or two in molvik (the current activated BG for 50s) and its HELLA fun. yeah there are speedwarps and such but it's tolerable. several 2 groups vs 2 groups vs 1 group fights. celestius has promise!

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
So it's just an instant 50 server with free gear? There's been a million of these over the years, the population won't hang around for more than a month.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there'll be a wipe before launch, it's a from-1 server.

I get the skepticism but basically all the good admins from phoenix (which lated like two years) came over and linked up with a few other people, they are good developers, its better'n live at least. and definitely better than atlas's "we have one developer, theyre 15, and they keep promising daoc but with blackjack and hookers"

The real challenge will be if they allow some poopsockers to hit rr10 and terrorize everybody else too quickly. thats what kills this poo poo for me. i'd go back to live if there was population and also didnt just get farmed by herorius all night

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

there'll be a wipe before launch, it's a from-1 server.

I get the skepticism but basically all the good admins from phoenix (which lated like two years) came over and linked up with a few other people, they are good developers, its better'n live at least. and definitely better than atlas's "we have one developer, theyre 15, and they keep promising daoc but with blackjack and hookers"

The real challenge will be if they allow some poopsockers to hit rr10 and terrorize everybody else too quickly. thats what kills this poo poo for me. i'd go back to live if there was population and also didnt just get farmed by herorius all night

That happens on every single server every single time. It's what ruins every server and why they all boil down to the same 40 people having inbred fights for 2 years before the servers finally shut down or are so dead you can't do anything.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Okay! guess you won't be visiting then, and that's fine.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

That happens on every single server every single time. It's what ruins every server and why they all boil down to the same 40 people having inbred fights for 2 years before the servers finally shut down or are so dead you can't do anything.

I think his point is, Phoenix ran for like 4 years, which is as much as you can ever ask for out of a free private server. If there's people that moved over from Phoenix and are now running or helping to run Celestius, it makes me more interested in playing it for sure.

Because I'm still hoping for some Phoenix 2.0 news in the coming weeks but depending on the population figure at launch Jan 8th I probably will check Celestius out. Also the fact that the Phoenix 8man discord I was in where everybody coordinated nightly on for 8v8s, was turned into the Celestius discord, also a good reason to have confidence in it.

Phoenix population was routinely beating Return of Reckoning's for months in 2021 and I sort of switched to playing it; I personally think they overreacted to 'a new DAOC' server launching & worried too much about New World. I think they also had a desire to take a break from 4 years of running that poo poo and a lot of bans + a lot of characters max level from the 1-50 PvP events they continually ran in 2021.

knox fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 5, 2022

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'll probably be starting on Mid this time around. Look me up!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Celestius trying to make Valewalkers better by giving them a voltaic weapon is bizarre but I'm interested to see how fast people die to blizzard blade and a voltaic proc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got my rear end beat hard by every VW i came across past couple days. theyre stronk

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
"Roaming bands of Valewalkers"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they fiddled with the melee range on celestius so it's exceedingly easy to cheese positionals, so, yeah. Quite possibly!

knox
Oct 28, 2004

1400 people on Celestius right now, nice1.

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004
What realm is everyone going?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Not looking forward to fighting toa casters/alb groups in this ruleset.

Probably do Hib or Mid.

Hibernia
Albion
Midgard

What's going on with that balance?

Oh yeah. Vampiirs and Bainshees. Forgot those existed.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm Serpus, the Norseman Healer.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got a heretic to 43. so tired.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Heretic will probably be my second character, I've never played one.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

https://discord.gg/dPm2hTuP
discord link where we coordinated on Phoenix if anybody trying to group on Celestius now /if Phoenix comes back in future.

Made a Eldritch, Healer & Spiritmaster, I'm down to heal a bomb group or level the SM to XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://bleedingcool.com/games/gamigo-group-announces-new-fantasy-mmorpg-fractured-online/

in semi related news, the head of broadsword quit with no notice to go pilot a 3 realm MMORPG - but this one has NFTs.

lmao live is dead.

(i got my heretic 50 and almost fully geared out today. it's huge fun. cant wait to rvr)