Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wilbur's a fan of Big Gay Logan I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mister Kingdom posted:

How many people expect it to be a dream/fantasy sequence?

Probably not, since surviving that is still a reasonably believable outcome (it happens in real life even though it's unlikely).

Of course they could also kill him, which would be pretty hilarious, but I don't see reason to remove the only interesting character in the entire comic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kennel posted:

Probably not, since surviving that is still a reasonably believable outcome (it happens in real life even though it's unlikely).

Of course they could also kill him, which would be pretty hilarious, but I don't see reason to remove the only interesting character in the entire comic.

...oh my god you're right, Wilbur is the only interesting character in this stupid comic. Moy can't kill him off because then what's left? The fat old guy professor who thought the college girl actually wanted to get with him? His stupid, stupid wife? Wilbur's daughter, Wilburina?
Also as many people have mentioned falling off a cruise ship is pretty much a death sentence unless it's like in the middle of the day with tons of witnesses around and you are fully sober and physically capable to tread potentially rough waters for however long it takes for you to receive aid

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Ces on Medium Large: "This may be one of my favorite Sally Forth Sundays of all time (and that may include when we had Godzilla whip a train full of the characters at King Ghidorah’s head)."
A reference to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers! Go Ces!

June Brigman posted some snark to the huge discussions thread on the SS Wilbur:

quote:

Happy New Year! Thank you for all your kind words of support in 2021. It really means a lot to me. Ha ha, just kidding.

I'm going to take the positive approach and assume the intent is to kill off Wilbur and find some other source of interesting stories. Honestly, Bad Wilbur has been fun but there's only so many times they can go to that well before it dries up, and I think they've reached that point. It's a perpetual problem with trying to generate endless stories from a limited cast - after a while the new stories either start being rehashes or clash with earlier ones. There's a reason most extended comics soaps have traditionally taken an episodic approach with each storyline being mostly new characters and new settings.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 10, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Calaveron posted:

...oh my god you're right, Wilbur is the only interesting character in this stupid comic. Moy can't kill him off because then what's left? The fat old guy professor who thought the college girl actually wanted to get with him? His stupid, stupid wife? Wilbur's daughter, Wilburina?
Zombie Aldo Kelrast.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

someone awful. posted:

i looked it up, and the first strip mentioning wilbur is march 25, 1993. he buys an apartment in charterstone and gets bullied by Ian Whatshisface for writing an advice column for women.

he was every bit as much of a dweeb then as now.

Do you have links to the story?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
. And He Died! January 31, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 1, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 11, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 13, 1936

Mopsy September 20, 1937

Up Front October 24, 1944

Dark Laughter July 1, 1950

So It Seems March 26, 1952

Those Were the Days December 12, 1957

Wee Pals April 4, 1966

Dogbert October 27, 1966

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Punished Soapy is my favorite character in the entire medium.

Like I know I'm late here but

Slammy posted:

Dogbert October 25, 1966

gently caress yeah Soapy, lmfao.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

I cannot believe I stayed up to follow a Mary Worth plotline

And OMG it looks like Moy really went there. :allears:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

curtadams posted:

Technically this Mary's fault.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Good night sweet prince

E: My guess is they sound the alarm by Wednesday's strip, Coast Guard miraculously picks him up next Sunday, no balls

EBB fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 10, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
He was my north, my south, my east and west,
My working week and my sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my all,
I thought that lols would last forever
I was right, lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

this was on a discord

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

curtadams posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 10, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Synthbuttrange posted:

this was on a discord

Magnifique.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The bars were to prevent graverobbing and are called mortsafes. :hist101:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/9/02

Brenda Starr 12/14/47

Smokey Stover 7/15/45

Everyday Movies 9/25/34

"Gee, Duke, I just dreamed I saw a skeleton walking -- at least I THINK it was a dream. It couldn't really have been a skeleton, could it?"

Also, I found another Everyday Movies I forgot to date and don't seem to have posted already, so here it is:

"Oh, you marvel! And then how many orders did you get on your second trip, Mr. Wince?"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1949)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Synthbuttrange posted:

this was on a discord

Amazing

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I can’t believe I bought the motorbike back. Drawing that thing is a journey into confusion, every time. Hopefully it will soon go off another cliff.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The doctor's mouth in FOOB is giving me 9Cl flashbacks.

poo poo. Did...did Lynn pick that up from Glorious Master?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The doctor's mouth in FOOB is giving me 9Cl flashbacks.

poo poo. Did...did Lynn pick that up from Glorious Master?

That's just how she draws toothy grins, I don't think 9CL has influenced anything. (also Foob started in '79, 9CL in '93. I don't think we're 14 years deep in the reruns but I'm unsure how to tell for sure)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

While I haven't yet understood the plot of this, I find it really charming.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's just how she draws toothy grins, I don't think 9CL has influenced anything. (also Foob started in '79, 9CL in '93. I don't think we're 14 years deep in the reruns but I'm unsure how to tell for sure)

I mentioned it last thread, but April was born in 1991. So my guess would be late 1992/early 1993?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oops! You forgot to tell a joke!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "496 - Jucika's Second Job" NSFW Nudity

"497 - Jucika And The Attentive Gentleman"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

:effort:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1949)

Holy poo poo that's rad.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wasp's nest, eh. I'll allow it.

Now, about every 4 months Mary Worth does something that gets this thread going like nothing else, which is really strange because Mary Worth is the paragon of comic strip blandness. The last ones I remember are the extended "Aren't dogs great?" conversation and the karaoke one. There was one that was a bit spicier before that but I can't remember now what it was.

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

It's been sitting in front of us this whole time, brilliant.

Still don't trust this story. They already gave Mary her victory lap of "solving" a problem by gaslighting a woman into remaining in a toxic relationship. Something's gotta give.

CommonShore posted:

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

The only memorable moment I remember from recent Mary Worth history was last year when the woman revealed that her late husband had been abusive and, out of nowhere, we got a strip about how her dog had taken a bullet for her when her husband tried to shoot her. Then she and the old guy from Up just pivoted back to "Wow! Dogs are truly special." for another six weeks while the revelation of "Oh, my husband was cruel, he'd laugh at me, he would trip me, and one time he tried to MURDER ME WITH A GUN AT POINT-BLANK RANGE" went unaddressed.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 10, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I also do not buy for a second that this sticks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope he gets eaten by sharks and we get a short derail where Mark Trail shows up to tell us how uncommon shark attacks on humans are and insists this one was only due to the multiple broken bones sticking through his skin putting a lot of blood in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also the shark is the one from Overboard and it gets called sweetie in a disapproving manner by the other shark for being drunk because of the blood alcohol content.