Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh poo poo, I saw him do standup a few months back, the same week Norm Macdonald died. Pretty good show, closing out with an unironic soulful acoustic guitar song was definitely not a choice I’d ordinarily love but given he spent a good chunk of the set just reminiscing about Norm and their relationship it was nice. Funny guy, I’ll always treasure childhood memories of AFHV, for better or worse it played a big role in inuring me to stupid internet videos.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

What the gently caress

he was a huge drug addict

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I will always appreciate how he loved terrible filthy comedy, but sold out as hard as possible and whenever given the opportunity, would do filthy jokes about the poo poo he sold out for.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FizFashizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dzDb5v744

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I feel like Half Baked was most peoples first exposure to him outside of Full House.

Edit - I was typing that before the Half Baked link.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I dunno, America's Funniest Home Videos probably had more exposure then Full House.

And man, talk about the easiest job on the planet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah, Saget had a well-publicized cocaine habit.

Still a bummer. His telling of The Aristocrats will always be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHeZS3mGDKY

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I can't believe the star of how I met your mother died

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/bobsaget/status/520719618432716800

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

T-Square posted:

Well I kept loving up whipping the egg whites and sugar on the macarons (adding a small amount of extract and food coloring immediately ruined it) and got mad and quit, but I made some pretty ugly delicious pork gyoza

Were you using gel food coloring or the kind in the pack from the grocery store? Sometimes the thin grocery store food colors will break your egg whites. Also you should add the food color after you add in the almond flour.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 10, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm perpetually at a loss.

This hasn't become policy here, but I am invited into the homes of extremely vulnerable people daily (elderly, immunocompromised, a billion comorbidities) and the idea that our leadership is growing cool just letting us carry our illness into those spaces....

https://twitter.com/codebluememes/status/1480324986854424576?s=20

gently caress, man. Why the hell are we even doing this?

And like, also, HCWs have been perpetually forgotten and abused during this whole thing and we aren't even given a break for a loving super infectious illness?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

One healthcare provider in Phoenix announced they are letting staff with positive Covid tests keep working if they are not symptomatic. So we are just riding the bomb down waving our cowboy hat at this point.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

LeeMajors posted:

This hasn't become policy here, but I am invited into the homes of extremely vulnerable people daily (elderly, immunocompromised, a billion comorbidities) and the idea that our leadership is growing cool just letting us carry our illness into those spaces....

And like, also, HCWs have been perpetually forgotten and abused during this whole thing and we aren't even given a break for a loving super infectious illness?

It kicks rear end that we have collectively, as a society, just decided to have one big chicken pox party, but with covid

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status/1480380898029752324?s=21

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Spoeank posted:

It kicks rear end that we have collectively, as a society, just decided to have one big chicken pox party, but with covid

At this point I assume everyone will get exposed within the year anyway, the only people who don't get it were just the asymptomatic ones or fully protected from their vaccination.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I popped a RAT late yesterday. I worked out pretty hard that morning.

My covid experience was pretty mild. Sickish on Thursday, Minor fever that night.
body aches and sore lymph the day after. Back lifting the day after that. Feel 100% today.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah America is just at the who gives a gently caress about school shooters level of it all.

Can't stop it, can't do anything about it, it's just some dead people, deal with it.

The dril drunk driving tweet, but being convinced drunk driving is just smart thinking.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If I submitted a script today, what's the lead time in getting a big budget Hollywood movie made where our complete indifference to the virus ends with the Omega variant being the 100% deadly end of world one that we had years to prepare for with effective real-world countermeasures?

Less than how long it will take us to get there in real life?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/lapdhq/status/1480363436311670784?s=21

Footage is crazy

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
boy sure is funny how quickly bodycam footage can be released at times and not at others, huh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

boy sure is funny how quickly bodycam footage can be released at times and not at others, huh

Weird that it wasn't 'mismarked' and immediately deleted. Funny, that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

you mean they keep those things on all the time?

huh

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A beautiful story:

https://twitter.com/Bowl_of_Worcel/status/1480364129315659788

quote:

Here's the thread:

I have a Bob Saget story to share.

I never really met him. But in 2007 Guster was playing at the Boston Opera House. We noticed that Saget was performing a sold out show at the Orpheum down the street, and we thought it’d be funny to invite him to appear on stage with us...

..in some capacity. We reached out to his management to ask if he’d burst through a Bob Saget banner during our encore.

They told us to go ahead and make the banner. It was really homespun...

The encore comes and we realize we never even told Adam about the plan. We’re onstage getting the audience to chant “Bob! Bob! Bob!” so that Bob Saget might magically burst through this oversized sheet of paper, and I can see Adam getting super annoyed...

... he's strumming his guitar super aggressively because he thinks this is a lame joke, an exercise in anti-climax. That we’ll have our bus driver or our guitar tech burst through and then play a deflated encore after riling up the crowd with an unfulfilled promise.

Except Bob Saget actually burst through the banner. The crowd went fucken bananas. He hugged Ryan, shook the band members' hands, waved at the crowd, told Ryan “this is awesome" and walked off stage. That was it...

Many years later Ryan was hanging in LA with mutual friend Jeff Garlin when Saget showed up. After a while, Ryan asked him if he even remembers walking on stage at the Boston Opera House during the Guster show...

Saget lit up. "I got in a car which drove me to a venue, walked directly on stage, the crowd erupted, I walked off stage and got right back in a car. It was the best!"

It really was. RIP, Bob Saget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2A9zb9uCM

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

Look, we clapped and banged pots for you guys for like 4 months, what more can you want?

But seriously, my SO and her colleagues are all on the verge of breakdown because of the last 2 years. They gave up a year of training to work COVID wards instead, and now that they’re back to it they’re seeing like 2.5 times the number of patients than they would normally see because of all of the people who (reasonably) deferred care because there was a pandemic on. On top of that, there’s the constant threat of being called upon to work COVID cases again because people just have to go out and lick light poles or whatever while unvaccinated.

But the dean of medicine or whatever said thanks once and I think she got 50% off at the North Face so I guess everything is all even!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Related to the earlier discussion on Nextdoor:

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1480375460492156932

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Related to the earlier discussion on Nextdoor:

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1480375460492156932

There were teens looting the local chain grocery store and one guy in my nextdoor earnestly suggested roving vigilante gangs to beat the guys up and handcuff them to bike racks until the cops show up. He didn't like my explanation how that was actually not quite legal! And then I quit nextdoor unless I need to see what's going on in the neighborhood for something specific.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

Were you using gel food coloring or the kind in the pack from the grocery store? Sometimes the thin grocery store food colors will break your egg whites. Also you should add the food color after you add in the almond flour.

Yeah I was using the grocery store food stuff, I’ll keep an eye out for gel coloring and add after! I’m not gonna quit until I make some cute drat macarons so I’m planning on trying again this weekend. Thanks for the helpful tips!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Covid update: Back at work this morning, glad to be over it. Not having my taste or smell senses kind of sucked.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

If I submitted a script today, what's the lead time in getting a big budget Hollywood movie made where our complete indifference to the virus ends with the Omega variant being the 100% deadly end of world one that we had years to prepare for with effective real-world countermeasures?

Less than how long it will take us to get there in real life?

They already redid Planet of the Apes, sorry.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

Look, we clapped and banged pots for you guys for like 4 months, what more can you want?
*snip*
But the dean of medicine or whatever said thanks once and I think she got 50% off at the North Face so I guess everything is all even!!

You know, I don’t want much but we haven’t been extended any emergency leave after 1/1/21 and they haven’t suspended any of the ridiculous punitive call-out policies wherein we are punished for using our sick leave ‘excessively’ to get tests or whatever. Also we aren’t regularly tested at work.

I used to take pride in healthcare being an indispensable resource but now I just kind of wish I was doing anything else.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Covid update: Back at work this morning, glad to be over it. Not having my taste or smell senses kind of sucked.

I am so so so glad I never lost either. I’ve heard it’s miserable.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know why a clinic would be able to charge for covid testing? There’s one near me that has availability but the test is like $150 unless you have insurance. Shouldn’t it be covered under the CARES act?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japan's getting Omicron pretty good it seems - Tokyo jumped up from reporting 30 cases a day to over 1,000 within about a 10-day period. and while today's a holiday I'm fully expecting to get an email tomorrow or Wednesday from work saying we're not coming into the office for the next month or so once again.

maybe it's as close to feeling dread as I'll get at the moment, but god drat, I'm really feeling frustrated and sad for you guys back in the States right now. so much has been stacked against people in the name of "rugged individualism" for a while, but this seems like it could be an actual breaking point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

Japan's getting Omicron pretty good it seems - Tokyo jumped up from reporting 30 cases a day to over 1,000 within about a 10-day period. and while today's a holiday I'm fully expecting to get an email tomorrow or Wednesday from work saying we're not coming into the office for the next month or so once again.

maybe it's as close to feeling dread as I'll get at the moment, but god drat, I'm really feeling frustrated and sad for you guys back in the States right now. so much has been stacked against people in the name of "rugged individualism" for a while, but this seems like it could be an actual breaking point.

Our healthcare ‘system,’ such as it is, is being pushed to the breaking point and could very well fail in the next couple of weeks and it isn’t a particularly huge story.

One of our local ED’s decon rooms (a little side room with a shower and drain for like, hosing off bloody equipment, or patients covered in poop or bedbugs) had corpses stacked in it last summer during the delta wave and like no one cares.

If there aren’t bodies stacked in front of the hospital like a movie it “isn’t happening” for a large percentage of the American public.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Our healthcare ‘system,’ such as it is, is being pushed to the breaking point and could very well fail in the next couple of weeks and it isn’t a particularly huge story.

One of our local ED’s decon rooms (a little side room with a shower and drain for like, hosing off bloody equipment, or patients covered in poop or bedbugs) had corpses stacked in it last summer during the delta wave and like no one cares.

If there aren’t bodies stacked in front of the hospital like a movie it “isn’t happening” for a large percentage of the American public.

I'm wondering when all of this turns into metaphorical pitchforks and torches, and not just small business tyrants rioting to "stop the steal" but a wider swath of people just loving walking out and saying no.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone know why a clinic would be able to charge for covid testing? There’s one near me that has availability but the test is like $150 unless you have insurance. Shouldn’t it be covered under the CARES act?

My dad had to take some specific test that cost about that much before he could travel to Brazil, maybe it's specialized testing? All I can think of

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

I'm wondering when all of this turns into metaphorical pitchforks and torches, and not just small business tyrants rioting to "stop the steal" but a wider swath of people just loving walking out and saying no.

Never. The frog has been boiled.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

My dad had to take some specific test that cost about that much before he could travel to Brazil, maybe it's specialized testing? All I can think of

Not as far as I can tell. It's just a walk-up urgent care and they have this rate sheet on their site:

quote:

CASH or CREDIT CARD only

Antigen Test ($130)
Antibody Test ($50)
1 hr Rapid PCR ($175)
24 hr Rapid PCR ($150) not available on Saturday

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

You know, I don’t want much but we haven’t been extended any emergency leave after 1/1/21 and they haven’t suspended any of the ridiculous punitive call-out policies wherein we are punished for using our sick leave ‘excessively’ to get tests or whatever. Also we aren’t regularly tested at work.

I used to take pride in healthcare being an indispensable resource but now I just kind of wish I was doing anything else.

It’s really unconscionable. I don’t know how people who were considering going into healthcare before the pandemic can remotely want to do it now. My SO used to be so enthusiastic and now the only reason she’s not calling it quits is because of the decade+ that she has invested in it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

It’s really unconscionable. I don’t know how people who were considering going into healthcare before the pandemic can remotely want to do it now. My SO used to be so enthusiastic and now the only reason she’s not calling it quits is because of the decade+ that she has invested in it now.

I’ve spent a lot of time screaming at myself in internal monologue about sunk cost fallacy.