Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One of these days I might actually succeed in sourcing a UPS in Denmark. :sigh:

EDIT: Of course, part of the issue is that I'd like to have one that can be rack-mounted (for when I eventually get a rack), and aside from the power requirement (I'm looking at ~1500VA at minimum), I need it to be line-interactive.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
What is a line-interactive UPS?

Edit: oh. A line interactive UPS has a voltage regulator that monitors the current passing through the ups, providing a floor and a ceiling for current passing through and augmenting or restricting flow as necessary. If the incoming current is outside of a given range then the UPS cuts over to battery-only.

Contrast this with online UPSes that convert an incoming current from AC to DC to AC ensuring that the AC that reaches the device is perfectly clean and within operating spec.

Apparently, online UPSes are top of the line and very expensive whereas line-interactive UPSes are a great trade off between price and performance.

Now I know that.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 14, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah it took me ages to find the small UPS's I have, I'd love a heavier duty one but people want outrageous money for them.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Has anyone ever converted a home closet to a server closet? I have a 2nd floor laundry room with a whole house fan in it. There's a closet with a bifold door in it. I'm thinking about having a contractor drop a new circuit to there and replace the door with a normal one and throw an airframe on it. But not sure what kind of questions I should be asking the contractor or how this has turned out for anyone else. The plan would be to throw a full rack in there and move some equipment out of a back bedroom.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Has anyone ever converted a home closet to a server closet? I have a 2nd floor laundry room with a whole house fan in it. There's a closet with a bifold door in it. I'm thinking about having a contractor drop a new circuit to there and replace the door with a normal one and throw an airframe on it. But not sure what kind of questions I should be asking the contractor or how this has turned out for anyone else. The plan would be to throw a full rack in there and move some equipment out of a back bedroom.
I bought one of these as they're just wide enough to fit a server if you remove the rack ears.
Then I cut four holes in one side and installed some fans, and did the same in the other side. Then wired up the fans to create a windtunnel. Then lined the inside with foam.
With the doors closed, the two-thirds room can can fit 8U in full-length, while power cables, power distributor, and everything is tucked into the one-thirds room.

EDIT: And to make things a bit easier on myself, I installed two solid wood-planks on the bottom and screwed 8 wheels to it, so it can be moved if need be (although I don't plan on doing so when the disks are spinning, because the gyroscopic precession is not gonna be healthy).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 14, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In my previous life as an MSP I saw SO MANY closets (poorly) converted to server “rooms” and without fail the one thing that was always lacking was proper airflow and cooling. It doesn’t take much equipment to drastically raise temperature so I guess my only suggestion is plan for proper airflow both in and out.

All my hardware sits unconstrained in an unfurnished basement that is perennially cool-ish so I haven’t given active cooling a second thought, but airflow might now suffice depending on the amount of hardware you have.

Very little actual advice here, only brief terrifying flashbacks to walking out of “server rooms” in tiny mom and pop businesses and having this conversation

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My gear is in my garage and my garage gets HOT during the summer from the combination of ambient temperature and the gear, despite a big exhaust fan I had installed in the wall.

In august I have to leave the garage door open a crack and open the garage back door to set up a cross breeze.

Even now when it’s 40F outside my garage is a toasty 75F. I have given serious though to somehow ducting the hot air into the house to help with the heating, but anything I consider looks ridiculously ugly and/or kludgy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It gets hot in the workroom where my gear sits, but its about ~68-72 in the winter. The exhaust fan on the hot side of the rack provides enough heat removal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, I'm an idiot: I kept trying to treat the MX7000s MX7116 Fabric Expander modules as QSFP Switches. They are not switches. They are fabric expanders. To convert them to Ethernet they have to be plugged into a supported Dell EMC Switch either within the chassis or at top of rack. This is how CISCO does this with the UCS chassis as well.

D'oh. I went and grabbed a Nexus 3000 switch to try to troubleshoot before it dawned on me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Not even sure this is the right thread, but it came up near the top searching on Google when it comes to Influx and SA.

So anyway... Version 1.x used InfluxQL and seemed pretty zippy. Version 2.x insists on moving to Flux and is deprecating InfluxQL.

I get the feeling that Flux is just a pig, that blindly runs through all timeseries data in the given range and runs the defined filter functions on it on each drat row, whereas InfluxQL goes more database like at the job and uses indexes or something in background to keep the amount of data to sift through to a minimum (e.g. if the timeseries data is multicolumn, like for instance Home Assistant defining entity and measurement IDs).

Certainly feels that way, because a plain InfluxQL queries run way faster than its direct Flux equivalents on larger date ranges.

Am I wrong?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One of these days I might actually succeed in sourcing a UPS in Denmark. :sigh:

EDIT: Of course, part of the issue is that I'd like to have one that can be rack-mounted (for when I eventually get a rack), and aside from the power requirement (I'm looking at ~1500VA at minimum), I need it to be line-interactive.

I've had really good luck with the liebert GXT3 and GXT4 (for always-online) and the PSI5 (for line interactive). Have to watch ebay for a while for a good price but they're worth it. All rack-mountable and expandable batteries, etc... Network UPS Tools supports them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've had really good luck with the liebert GXT3 and GXT4 (for always-online) and the PSI5 (for line interactive). Have to watch ebay for a while for a good price but they're worth it. All rack-mountable and expandable batteries, etc... Network UPS Tools supports them.
Shipping to Denmark is going to be very expensive, which defeats the point of looking on ebay - but I'll add it to the keywords I've got queued on the Danish equivalent of ebay. Thanks :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah it would almost be worth just finding a UPS sans the batteries and ship it empty, then get batteries locally.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah it would almost be worth just finding a UPS sans the batteries and ship it empty, then get batteries locally.

Do this anyway cause good chance one or more of the batteries are near dead in a cheap old used unit. They're very easy to replace.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish for an double conversion unit that's also silent, but who am I kidding, because physics.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've considered one of those MPP Solar hybrid inverters + lifepo4 or used li-ion from cars instead of a classic UPS. Lead acid is dead, and should remain so.

Bonus points: can add solar panels :v:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I got a patch panel!! e. And more shelves for the servers which I didn't post about apparently.

I also took the time to manage the cables. Previously they were draped and coiled over the backs of the servers, which I'm sure was affecting air flow. Still messy, but a lot better.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 9, 2022

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got 3 Raspberry Pi 2s right now, one is serving as a print server for my house and Retroarch but the other two I'm not sure of what to do with. I've already got a file server and don't think these work well for storage anyways. I'd like to possibly use them as a home project for Kubernetes and Docker stuff but was curious what sort of uses people have gotten out of their older ones.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Pi-hole DNS server

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Should have said I have done a PiHole but it got annoying to manage as it would seemingly break random apps or sites for people. I love the project but didn't like how fragile it seemingly made my network for everyone else lol

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

It sometimes annoys my wife that she can't click a sponsored link in her goog results or whatever, but I think that is a pretty small price to pay. :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My wife has her own VLAN/SSID for that reason

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There is a home assistant integration with pi-hole that includes on/off. I set up a toggle in home assistant so my wife can turn it off if she runs into a stupid inline ad she wants to click.

And an automation that turns it back on after 15 minutes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any kind of current hotness for an all-in-one IPAM/DNS/DHCP server that I can deploy on my network to have some kind of more granular control over DNS and DHCP integration, as well as more of a unified dashboard of subnet allocation etc

My biggest pain with labbing so far has been that I rarely use a bunch of the things I spin up regularly so when I get around to trying something new I always just kind of spin up new VMs with some throwaway IP which is fine until it conflicts with some other IP I provisioned previously and now I have to manage my ssh kown_hosts, or just worry about bringing up two things that might conflict, etc.

I have my edgerouter set to automatically register DHCP with my synology's DNS server which is good but I don't typically use DHCP on my Lab network. I was thinking of enabling just that but before I just resort to Lab DHCP (which I guess technically won't solve my ssh problem in some cases but is probably still the way to go) I wanted to see if there was a better way of handling this.

Like I'm looking in my synolgy's zone file and there's just random IPs from raspberry Pi's i've booted, VMs I created a year ago, all mixed in with my phones and home stuff. A lot of it is a mess of my own making so I guess I want to plan out how to separate things out but I'd love to have an at-a-glance view of my subnets and domains etc.

Lots of words, not sure I articulated this correctly, hopefully someone gets my meaning but happy to expand on or re-phrase what I'm hoping to achieve if necessary.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Gyshall posted:

My wife has her own VLAN/SSID for that reason

oh my god lol

n^thing pinhole, but you'd be way underutilizing a single pi by only running that on it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
It turned out that the fiber install needed 2U total and I only had 1U free on my wall mounted setup, so I went ahead and got a bigger rack...

Now I think I need to get my NAS in there, get a bigger UPS, and move my colo server back home. Cleaning up the cables is definitely on the list as well, things are quite messy right now after moving everything around. Ventilation in the closet is not great...so might have to look into a mini-split this summer. What have I done...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey look what I did over the weekend.

I'm being lazy and running my old windows machine that has PLEX on it off straight of the SSD as a VM. Eventually I'll set that up properly. I have two piholes. One in a VM and one on an actual pi.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

fletcher posted:

It turned out that the fiber install needed 2U total and I only had 1U free on my wall mounted setup, so I went ahead and got a bigger rack...

I'm jealous of your perforated panels. My cabinet has solid side and rear panels and a glass front panel, which is great for putting decals on, but I'd rather have some more air coming in.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cage-free egghead posted:

Should have said I have done a PiHole but it got annoying to manage as it would seemingly break random apps or sites for people. I love the project but didn't like how fragile it seemingly made my network for everyone else lol

I use mine for:

- PiHole
- Home Assistant
- AirPlay receiver

Home Assistant integrates with the PiHole so you can enable/disable like you would a smart light switch. Reduces need for janitoring if anybody can easily flip it off.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you have a homelab that can run unbound or nsd with void-zones-tools, why are you using pihole?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm downsizing from a big fat rack and going to get rid of my Dell R620. It's beefy enough that I probably used like 1% of its resources. Thinking of replacing it with two or three USFF desktop PCs I can turn on or off as I need.

Any thoughts on the immediate contenders? Looks like Lenovo TC M700 or Optiplex 3050s are both fairly "inexpensive" for a four core 16gb configuration which is probably enough to get me through my ultra basic VM needs. At $3-400CDN for a decent model I can always scale out hardware and since they're low enough power I'm not terribly worried about leaving them on or spinning them up or down as I need them.

Onboard storage is pretty anemic but I can always beef it up with a 2.5 or 5gbe ethernet-USB3 dongle and use a (somewhat) speedy NFS backing store on my Synology.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the R620. I guess it's going on craigslist or kijiji but I always hate to part with hardware :haw:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Martytoof posted:

I'm downsizing from a big fat rack and going to get rid of my Dell R620. It's beefy enough that I probably used like 1% of its resources. Thinking of replacing it with two or three USFF desktop PCs I can turn on or off as I need.

Any thoughts on the immediate contenders? Looks like Lenovo TC M700 or Optiplex 3050s are both fairly "inexpensive" for a four core 16gb configuration which is probably enough to get me through my ultra basic VM needs. At $3-400CDN for a decent model I can always scale out hardware and since they're low enough power I'm not terribly worried about leaving them on or spinning them up or down as I need them.

Onboard storage is pretty anemic but I can always beef it up with a 2.5 or 5gbe ethernet-USB3 dongle and use a (somewhat) speedy NFS backing store on my Synology.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the R620. I guess it's going on craigslist or kijiji but I always hate to part with hardware :haw:

Can definitely vouch for the Optiplexes, I have a 780 and a 3070 and they've both been great.

Might be worth including the HP ProDesk series (specifically the 400 G4) in your search too, they're basically the same thing as the Optiplex and TC.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

What about the 'regular' desktop Dells? You can still run an i7, 4 RAM slots (64GB), you'll get 3-4 SATA ports plus you can always stick SSD storage in the PCI slots. You can also throw a 4-port NIC in a slot.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you have room, the SFF versions have low profile pcie and better storage solutions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure how to quantify the power draw. I actually have access to two SFF optiplex 9020s at work that I could bring home, but I think they may have higher TDP i7's which are both good and bad in the sense that they'd probably perform better and have a higher core count, but also draw more.

I'm also trying to go as compact as possible and fit it all into a smaller "network" style wall mount rack. I'm actually OK to use the SFF (vs USFFs) desktops if I can lug them home, but I do like the idea of an ultra (relatively) low power draw and space consumption thing, where I just have a stack of two or three of these down the road sitting next to my Synology on a rack shelf.

So yeah, no real argument against them other than "if I can go smaller I think I'd like to", given (and I can't stress this enough) how infrequent and light my lab usage is. A few 2vcpu/4gb ram VMs at most, and I tend to blow those away after a day or two. Forseeably repurposed as a tiny kube cluster for some training on that technology. 4core i5/16GB is probably plenty if thats what they max out at.

And I'll be straight up honest -- I kind of like the novelty of a tiny USFF PC and want to try one.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

If you have a homelab that can run unbound or nsd with void-zones-tools, why are you using pihole?

Because I am very stupid when it comes to networking and I'm just happy that pihole works enough.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Wait, is downsizing racks allowed? Number big must go up!!
Mods? Mods!

On a very slightly more serious note, why not see if you can sell it in SA-Mart and perhaps mention it in the NAS thread? I'm sure there's goons looking for an entry point into server gear.

Crunchy Black posted:

Because I am very stupid when it comes to networking and I'm just happy that pihole works enough.
Here's the book for you (from Michaels own site, so all of the money go to him).
Despite being an acquaintance of Michael, I'm not being paid and am just a fan of his books.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 12, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Crunchy Black posted:

This is maybe a better piggyback question for the home networking thread, but I stopped running a pihole and just pay >$3 month for NextDNS unlimited queries. In a house with 12 devices or so (including tablets, phones, and laptops for 3 along with streaming server and a desktop) always online I’ve been nothing but happy with not having to deal with configuration and replacing micro-SD cards.

The main reason I posted this here, though, is because even though I had my pihole working fine I saw it brought up ITT just now. Am I losing out by outsourcing my DNS service, even though (I think?) that’s all my pihole was doing anyway? Am I losing some functionality or type of security by letting an outside entity provide the service? I don’t run any VPN or anything either, and the cost is negligible monthly even on a fixed income.

Edit:
Another question maybe not at the scale Homelabs deal with: I have Wireshark downloaded, but haven’t really looked into it as far as working to learn how to use it. Would this be overkill or even necessary for a small home network user to learn? As far as I know I’m not part of a botnet or even particularly a target with valuable files. Am I overthinking security needs for being online in 2022?

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 12, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

What about the 'regular' desktop Dells? You can still run an i7, 4 RAM slots (64GB), you'll get 3-4 SATA ports plus you can always stick SSD storage in the PCI slots. You can also throw a 4-port NIC in a slot.

Yeah, I recommend the USFF Dell/HP machines. Socketed CPU, Laptop RAM DIMMs, usually supports both a 2.5" and an M2 SSD, plus USB 3.0 for external drives.

Wait, is downsizing racks allowed? Number big must go up!!
Mods? Mods!

Needs more Blade chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Big fan of the Dell USFF, my esxi host at home is a 7040. Fits nicely inside the gun safe and doesn’t take up much room, plus it doesn’t need a huge battery backup. Since it holds the NVR vm I had to do some trunking setup in esxi for the camera vlan instead of taking the easy route of a second usb3 NIC, I only have a single Ethernet passthru built in.