Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's absolutely loving unbelievable there are actually people who fell for the "metaverse" nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd been wondering what Mike Shinoda had been up to after Chester died. Huh.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

steinrokkan posted:

It's absolutely loving unbelievable there are actually people who fell for the "metaverse" nonsense.

don't bully the zuck. he already has it hard enough living as an android surrounded by real humans

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

it me

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

don't bully the zuck. he already has it hard enough living as an android surrounded by real humans

I hate him and will bully him until he dies actually.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everyone is a girl. You just got testosterone poisoned in the womb so your labia fused into a ballsack and your clit got all gross and enlarged. Sorry for your loss.

I dunno being considered as some kind of unfortunate testosterone monster is kinda freeing, like i never had a chance at not being a ridiculous fuckup. Choices made, choices not made, that’s where the terror starts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Testosterone was the name of the doctor

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just go to epic and Activision and explain to them that they should implement support for skins sold by another company.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

programmers arent even real bro, computers just do things

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The astounding thing to me about this is that even if it weren’t a technical and logistical nightmare, how is that “so many possibilities, no?” It’s an incredibly unexciting prospect that has no real world impact to meaningfully improve anyone’s life

And actively makes the world worse because of blockchain energy requirements

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm not sure what about adding the restriction of "the data needs to be on the blockchain, making it immutable" makes it more possible to make cross game compatible assets.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

imagine using a video game skin in twitter
just imagine it

e: but you have to pay me $15k for it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm not sure what about adding the restriction of "the data needs to be on the blockchain, making it immutable" makes it more possible to make cross game compatible assets.

Look, the only thing hat matters is to make every computer, every console into a poorly disguised Bitcoin mining rig

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mx. posted:

just imagine it

Maybe they think the difference is "but then no one can steal it"?

(Of course they can, the only difference is now there's money that's changed hands with no way to enforce ownership. OK two differences)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also teh way they talk about these things is like, if you could buy a tennis ball and then take it into a football game and a basketball game

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hihohe posted:

Hey Im a DUDE through and through!

would a girl suck this much dick?

I'm afraid it'll always be abstract for me because I can't seem to get my head around the idea of what it means to feel like a "man" or a "woman", aside from thinking about genitalia. Like that thing about the Star Wars prequels and trying to describe what Qui-Gon Jinn is like without saying what he looks like or what his job is. If it weren't for body things, I don't know what makes my human experience "male" or "female", aside from culturally assigned things like pink stuff and clothes without pockets. Like if I were to imagine being female but in a male body, I don't know what would be different for me.

(Especially since "what gender I'm attracted to" is also an unrelated phenomenon.)

I know that's just a limitation of my own imagination and I'm not trying to start poo poo, it's just the angle I have to start from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also still don't really understand what "having an identity" is (was much more of a dickhead because of that too) but clearly other people do have them even if I don't so w/e.

I think there is probably a word for people who don't seem to have them as well but I dunno what it is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also teh way they talk about these things is like, if you could buy a tennis ball and then take it into a football game and a basketball game

I think the dumbness of this whole angle makes a lot more sense now that I know it's a musician saying it.

Licensing-wise it's still dumb and stupid, but the direction he's actually coming from (as opposed to saying) is one of the few that manages to get to the end of the thought without sounding patently, absurdly stupid. A skin can't just be dropped into a jillion different games with no sweat, but every game handles music files in roughly the same ways with the same files. Theoretically, if every game used the same database, yeah, they could all go 'oh hey, AddOneTo_68 is playing, we'll play that one Papa Roach song every time he gets a kill'.

They're basically all picturing it like an Xbox Live profile pic that you pay four digits for, and not thinking about it further than that. It just so happens that for most of them, it falls apart if you go one thought further, while for someone thinking about music it falls apart about three thoughts down the line instead.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's a legitimately hard thing to conceptualize. The metaphor people use is "a fish doesn't notice the water." I don't think I would have developed a nuanced understanding of gender identity if the simple version was not contradicted by my own experiences.

Some people get it if you ask them to imaging feminizing/masculinizing changes happening to their body, but a lot don't. But I think people tend to understand at least a little about gender identity. Like, they see gynocomastia and hirsuitism to be legit medical problems. They understand that forcing a medical or social transition on someone who doesn't want it is torture.

I guess i don't understand the lack of understanding because I always thought "idk why people find it hard to empathize with trans experiences. I find it really easy" and then turns out it was probably because I was trans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally it's because my conception of it is that in my case it is literally defined by everybody else, gender is a thing everyone else seems to demand I perform and so I do token amounts of it because they get weird if I don't. I don't really get why it is important to them but it isn't especially onerous to do it most of the time.

But not everybody works that way, as I have learned. Took a long time to build a concept of any other way of being though, and the general gender theory stuff has helped a lot with that, helps to have a model for the world that you and others can fit into rather than just not really understanding it and only engaging with it enough to get by.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Data Graham posted:

I'm afraid it'll always be abstract for me because I can't seem to get my head around the idea of what it means to feel like a "man" or a "woman", aside from thinking about genitalia. Like that thing about the Star Wars prequels and trying to describe what Qui-Gon Jinn is like without saying what he looks like or what his job is. If it weren't for body things, I don't know what makes my human experience "male" or "female", aside from culturally assigned things like pink stuff and clothes without pockets. Like if I were to imagine being female but in a male body, I don't know what would be different for me.
:same:

To me it's like, if you tell me your name is Thomas then I will make every effort to call you Thomas because you have expressed a clear preference for that, but I don't know why you care. There's no such thing as an inherent essence of Thomas-ness. It's just a label someone gave you.

Dr. Stab posted:

Some people get it if you ask them to imaging feminizing/masculinizing changes happening to their body, but a lot don't. But I think people tend to understand at least a little about gender identity. Like, they see gynocomastia and hirsuitism to be legit medical problems. They understand that forcing a medical or social transition on someone who doesn't want it is torture.
I understand that your body not looking the way you think it should can be distressing. That's pretty universal. But it has absolutely no connection, for me, to gender. Because I don't know what gender is. Like, everything I can name as being related to gender is stereotypical or cultural or directly correlated with sexual dimorphism. But if having a body that looks like a man's made you a man then there'd be no such thing as transgender people. That's kind of the core issue. So what's left?

OwlFancier posted:

Personally it's because my conception of it is that in my case it is literally defined by everybody else, gender is a thing everyone else seems to demand I perform and so I do token amounts of it because they get weird if I don't. I don't really get why it is important to them but it isn't especially onerous to do it most of the time.
:agreed:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

I think the dumbness of this whole angle makes a lot more sense now that I know it's a musician saying it.

Licensing-wise it's still dumb and stupid, but the direction he's actually coming from (as opposed to saying) is one of the few that manages to get to the end of the thought without sounding patently, absurdly stupid. A skin can't just be dropped into a jillion different games with no sweat, but every game handles music files in roughly the same ways with the same files. Theoretically, if every game used the same database, yeah, they could all go 'oh hey, AddOneTo_68 is playing, we'll play that one Papa Roach song every time he gets a kill'.

They're basically all picturing it like an Xbox Live profile pic that you pay four digits for, and not thinking about it further than that. It just so happens that for most of them, it falls apart if you go one thought further, while for someone thinking about music it falls apart about three thoughts down the line instead.

Dunning-Kruger is a huge part of it, but suddenly that makes a lot of sense, also. ...though you'd think if they knew literally anything about music licensing...

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

But not everybody works that way, as I have learned. Took a long time to build a concept of any other way of being though, and the general gender theory stuff has helped a lot with that, helps to have a model for the world that you and others can fit into rather than just not really understanding it and only engaging with it enough to get by.

as an incredibly spergin agender, this is an incredibly spergin agender stance. "gender" is all basically arbitrary and incomprehensible. but to put it in perspective, so is "currency", which also happens to have an incredibly large amount of material conditions attached to it. materially, people need to use currency to continue being alive in society, and materially, my hormones need replacing because the ones my body produces happen to suck asssssssssssssss. hth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The way I have come to look at it is that I would probably be happier if people stopped expecting me to do specific weird poo poo based on how I look, and helpfully there are a bunch of other people who think that too, so please bring on the total gender anarchy so people will leave me alone tyvm.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bodies are gross. Put my brain in a robot where I don’t have to deal with fluids.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Bodies are gross. Put my brain in a robot where I don’t have to deal with fluids.

Yeah but don't you have to lube the joints and also don't you need some kind of fluid to keep your brain from drying out?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Invent the shapirobot, the dryest robot.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah but don't you have to lube the joints and also don't you need some kind of fluid to keep your brain from drying out?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

steinrokkan posted:

Remember how there was supposed to be this big exposé on Facebook's involvement in like coups and political destabilization worldwide or something but then Zuck was like "yeah okay but check this poo poo out, it's like Second Life if it was made completely dull by stupid white rich people" and the media ate it the gently caress up and forgot about all the scandal?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mx. posted:

just imagine it

I have a MY COFFEE MASCHINE IS CARBITCH guy that I CGA'd myself and now I'm thinking I could be minting this poo poo if I had money.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I dunno. If I was ten years younger and could've saved my hair maybe I would've transitioned. Now I think I'm a little too old and a little too jaded.

The hardest thing about it that is I don't know anything about computers.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Jan 10, 2022

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

Invent the shapirobot, the dryest robot.

Whelp, changed my mind. Better to be a gross human than a Shapirobot

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

grittyreboot posted:

I dunno. If I was ten years younger and could've saved my hair maybe I would've transitioned. Now I think I'm a little too old and a little too jaded.

The hardest thing about it that is I don't know anything about computers.

You're never too old.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

You're never too old.

I spent a decade thinking I was too old but the hosed up thing about life is you keep getting older. I couldn't bear the idea of never doing it, and trying now was better than trying later.

I also had it in my head that I needed it to be perfect to be worth it, but now I recognize that only getting a little bit is better than getting nothing. And I got more than I expected when I started.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

grittyreboot posted:

Transitioning at any age is worth it! We need more bitter old ladies too.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mx. posted:

just imagine it

For 15k those digital breasts better be hypnotic

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like how these forums have a reputation for being evil internet bastards when they're actually a supportive and sweet group of trans communists.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The evil internet bastards mellowed out and discovered we were all gay and/or trans.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

The way I have come to look at it is that I would probably be happier if people stopped expecting me to do specific weird poo poo based on how I look, and helpfully there are a bunch of other people who think that too, so please bring on the total gender anarchy so people will leave me alone tyvm.

I had a whole period where I wondered if I was trans or not before deciding I was cis and this was why. The things I had problems with were the things that everyone else said I had to do to be my gender. Once that pressure eased off, I realized "I'm completely fine being a woman as long as I'm the one deciding how I perform it!"

Maybe I should have picked up on that sooner and tried it as an escape tactic, like "Mom, you're gaslighting me into thinking I'm really a man, cut it out."

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Necrothatcher posted:

I like how these forums have a reputation for being evil internet bastards when they're actually a supportive and sweet group of trans communists.

Helldump leaves a pretty long trail, like an incontinent dog.