Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

You pocket removed the previously pinned apps there and now Google shows whatever it thinks is what you want in the current context. You can long press and replace it with regular apps

It’s definitely this. I’ve noticed it doing that when setting up home screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rebus posted:

6 Pro owner here. I've been pretty disappointed by the quality of the Tele lens and generally switch back to 2x and zoom with my legs. I'd go back and tell past me to get the 6 instead.

Thanks for this. I couldn't decide between the two, was (just today) going back towards the 6 and you guys have settled it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'd there a way to keep my Bluetooth speaker from defaulting to the loudest volume in Android every time I turn it on? It's extremely fuckin annoying

edit: I fixed it by disabling absolute volume in developer options

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 7, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So google lost the Sonos patent case in the US and now my google home devices in Canada are getting features removed. You can't adjust group speaker volume anymore. Have to go to each Google home individually. What bullshit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Now's your chance to get a real audio system

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Now's your chance to get a real audio system

Like what? Sonos poo poo is absurdly expensive/overpriced. I'm not some ridiculous audiophile. I want an easy to use, cheap, multi-room audio solution. Google Home worked perfectly.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok I was a little confused, I thought the Homes were controlling a Sonos system. However, theres nothing ridiculous about quality audio, which Google Homes (at least the mini) are incapable of producing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Ok I was a little confused, I thought the Homes were controlling a Sonos system. However, theres nothing ridiculous about quality audio, which Google Homes (at least the mini) are incapable of producing.

I'm not willing to pay the absurd overpriced numbers that Sonos costs, when Google Home is just fine for my use case. When it comes to audio quality.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Google should stop being cheap and license the tech from Sonos.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01/google-loses-sonos-patent-case-starts-stripping-functionality-from-speakers/

[edit: Frankly, if Google removes the functionality, they should get hit with fines/lawsuits for bait and switch.]

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

[edit: Frankly, if Google removes the functionality, they should get hit with fines/lawsuits for bait and switch.]

They already did. No popup, notice, nothing. Just gone from the Home app. I noticed last night when I went to adjust speaker group volume.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How long until Google tries to just buy Sonos?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

bull3964 posted:

How long until Google tries to just buy Sonos?

If they were going to do it, it probably would have happened long before this court decision.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So my Pixel 3 just bricked itself overnight. Seems to have happened around 1am based on my phone's last whereabouts. It was plugged into the charger (official charger with a longer Amazon cable that's been working for all 3 years I've had it). Last known battery percentage is 100% and it was on the latest update from a few days ago. When I plug it into my computer (using a USB-A to C cable) it is recognized as "QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx"

I'm reading that other people have had this issue. Apparently it got stuck in an "Emergency Download" mode (EDL). Unfortunately the resolution seems complicated at best, impossible at worst. Might require proprietary tools that only Google or Qualcomm have, or something. I'm still kind of digging through all these very long and detailed threads to see if anyone managed to fix it, but most of them don't seem to have a happy ending. Just throwing this out there in case anyone here managed to figure something out.

For reference:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fix-pixel-3-qusb_bulk_cid-xxxx_sn-xxxxxxxx.4205331/page-1
https://support.google.com/pixelpho...ty-update?hl=en
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/nn7tcn/pixel_3_suddenly_off_and_nothing_will_turn_it/

EDIT: Yeah from all my research, I'm probably screwed. There's some outside chance that someone at a ubreakifix could do something, but it seems like it might be beyond what most repair people are authorized/capable of. I'm not really seeing any trip reports of anyone actually getting it fixed. Sucks, but I might just use this as an opportunity to leave Verizon and start with Fi or something.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 8, 2022

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

cage-free egghead posted:

Honestly I'd look to just disable and battery fuckery that isn't already baked-in. You don't need to janitor batteries anymore, they'll suck as much power as they're able to and are smart enough now to utilize overnight charges.

After owning a lot of phones and mobile devices and each one going half life on me within a year, I don't think battery technology has improved at all to the point charging any to 100% of the time is doing it any favors. Especially batteries not as easily replaced like a decade ago.

Sorry I am coming off so hard on this. it's just a frustrating thing to see constantly.

quote:

When LTE started to roll out Verizon switched to using "unlocked" phones with carrier-specific bands and those required a new type of SIM card, they were also compatible with Verizon's existing 3G network. When LTE started to become the norm they stopped selling 3G capable devices and are slowly decommissioning the tech. Current EOL is end of 2022. Their 4G sim cards can use 5G UW but not the enhanced 5G. Obviously it depends on if the device supports those 5G bands in the first place.

It's confusing lol

Can they entirety remove 3G? When I drive up north, I sometimes go through the deep dark heart of West Virgina* and usually there is no mobile networks at all and if you do see any, it's 3G. There needs to be at least a fall back to allow 911 I think.

Working with Android 12 let me discover a great feature; the ability to change default apps.

Used to be the only way to have (in the above example) to replace YouTube from opening when clicking on a URL in a browser was to root it and replace the default YouTube app with Vanced. Now Vanced will open every time. I can see Google removing that ability but l, for now I can get the following.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not willing to pay the absurd overpriced numbers that Sonos costs, when Google Home is just fine for my use case. When it comes to audio quality.

Sorry guy, you need to have vacuum cables, sound rocks, and wooden knobs for the best experience.

^^^^^ me irl listening on some real trash 700$ headphones

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 9, 2022

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Audiophile elitism is very funny to me, just let people listen to poo poo with whatever they want. Sometimes convenience takes precedent and: that’s okay! Like, I’ve got some deec headphones but I will still occasionally just listen on my phone or whatever because I want to. Who cares.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I mostly listen to music on 15 dollars 4 year old, wired earbuds

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EVIL Gibson posted:

Working with Android 12 let me discover a great feature; the ability to change default apps.

Used to be the only way to have (in the above example) to replace YouTube from opening when clicking on a URL in a browser was to root it and replace the default YouTube app with Vanced. Now Vanced will open every time. I can see Google removing that ability but l, for now I can get the following.

Unfortunately, the defaults reset every time the app in question updates, as of Android 12.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Does anyone know why my always on display turns off when charging on the charging stand? It's during my bedtime charging hours but I have the "turn off always on display" option unchecked.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have my first Android phone (a cheapish 2021 Moto G Play) and I'm wondering if there's a good Android privacy guide out there. Supposedly this device has fewer unwanted apps compared to other phones, and yet to even be able to use the phone at all I've been forced to agree to a bunch of stuff including mandatory updates for apps I didn't consent to have on my device.

Example: I don't want Google Assistant because a) I don't need it and b) I don't want my phone listening all the time. Stuff like that.

I want all the optional crap that's not a literal telephone, Chrome, or barebones messaging straight up gone or disabled if it can't be uninstalled.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sleepwalkers posted:

Audiophile elitism is very funny to me, just let people listen to poo poo with whatever they want. Sometimes convenience takes precedent and: that’s okay! Like, I’ve got some deec headphones but I will still occasionally just listen on my phone or whatever because I want to. Who cares.

When I got the Pixel 6 I finally had to upgrade to wireless headphones (Sony WF-1000XM4, so pretty much top of the line outside of those weird audiophile ones) to use with it. I still don't like the idea of having to charge my headphones but when I turned on noise canceling for the first time and it felt like the sounds of the world were being sucked away...it was one of those geeky "wow, the future is now" feelings, like when I first played Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast.

And as an added bonus my baby can't rip them out of my head and play with the chord like a prize.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I have my first Android phone (a cheapish 2021 Moto G Play) and I'm wondering if there's a good Android privacy guide out there. Supposedly this device has fewer unwanted apps compared to other phones, and yet to even be able to use the phone at all I've been forced to agree to a bunch of stuff including mandatory updates for apps I didn't consent to have on my device.

Example: I don't want Google Assistant because a) I don't need it and b) I don't want my phone listening all the time. Stuff like that.

I want all the optional crap that's not a literal telephone, Chrome, or barebones messaging straight up gone or disabled if it can't be uninstalled.

One thing I'd suggest is installing the Duckduckgo browser and signing up for their app tracker beta. It's a waitlist, but I've got it and it seems to be blocking the stuff that is trying to track me pretty effectively.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/20/22793068/duckduckgo-tool-prevent-apps-tracking-android-users

Is your phone unlocked or did you get it through a carrier? I have the unlocked G Play as my secondary phone, so although I don't use it much I am familiar with it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

doctorfrog posted:

mandatory updates for apps I didn't consent to have on my device.

lol

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

doctorfrog posted:

If you go into Settings, you should be able to disable any app that can't be uninstalled, excepting core function stuff. My Google app can be disabled for example, while Phone and Messages just have the button greyed out.

Your commitment to personal privacy is laudable but modern app design and services are not structured in a way that facilitates it. Expect things to break in weird ways.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I ended up sending my phone to google to try and get them to fix the charging port issue and they have told me its not damaged and the only damage is general outside of the phone damage I'd have to pay for which I don't care about. Going to be very hosed off if they send it back to me and I have the exact same issue again

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

doctorfrog posted:

Oh Jesus, this poo poo again.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

ok grandpa, let's get you back to bed.

don't buy a smartphone if you want to disable everything that separates it from a flip phone.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I think you want a feature phone if you're looking to just gut everything except those three things. You could also look into rooting and flashing Calyx or Graphene

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Buy a used Google Pixel 4 or newer and install GrapheneOS onto it. It has compatibility for many Google Apps but comes preinstalled with absolutely none. It's built for those who want some a bit more privacy and security than standard Android offerings.

FistEnergy posted:

don't buy a smartphone if you want to disable everything that separates it from a flip phone.

This is nonsense and there's nothing wrong with people wanting to disable poo poo baked into their phones, Google stuff especially. I much prefer stock roms but it's getting a bit bloated in itself.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

FistEnergy posted:

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oh Jesus, this poo poo again.

why are you people like this? op is asking a pretty reasonable question.

it is ok if people use their devices differently than you and being an rear end in a top hat about it helps nobody.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Questioning the incredible amount of surveillance that modern tech, especially smartphones, does is very reasonable and it’s really disappointing that the question is being ridiculed.

If that Moto phone doesn’t support GrapheneOS, you could also checkout LineageOS. Using NextDNS can maybe help with some of the background tracking. There’s also a privacy thread in this sub forum that should have additional resources.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I was mostly being snarky. Sorry friends :unsmith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

doctorfrog posted:

Go through the settings with a fine tooth comb. Make sure you check the phone, app, and Google settings.

You should be able to uninstall or disable any app without fundamentally breaking the phone and can reinstall something.

Definitely go through the permissions. Disable whatever you don't want. If it breaks an app, you can re-enable. Location permissions should be able to be set as "only when using app".

I don't know how deep of a rabbit hole you want to go into, here's some good intro things.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/11/advice-for-personal-digital-security.html

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/11/securing-your-smartphone.html

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Shofixti posted:

Questioning the incredible amount of surveillance that modern tech, especially smartphones, does is very reasonable and it’s really disappointing that the question is being ridiculed.

If that Moto phone doesn’t support GrapheneOS, you could also checkout LineageOS. Using NextDNS can maybe help with some of the background tracking. There’s also a privacy thread in this sub forum that should have additional resources.

I absolutely agree, and I think people are slowly waking up to see just how powerful data collection should be, but we're still not there yet. Especially while TikTok is literally the most used service on earth lol

But yes, here is the thread I made a while back on privacy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bundled 3rd party apps are an issue and one of the reasons why people are advised to get Pixel devices. However, when you start getting into Google services, you have a point of diminishing returns.

Take, for example, Assistant. First and foremost you can turn off hotword detection so assistant shouldn't be always listening (if that's truly the case is something I'm sure people will debate.) However, getting rid of assistant altogether doesn't really make sense in the grand scheme of things because it's a google service and they already have unfettered access to your device through Play Services.

The sense of snark comes from the purchase of an Android device that needs to be fully hooked into Google Services to be functional and then asking about disabling some superficial aspects of that integration when the deep hooks are things you can't actually touch or do anything about and still have a functioning device.

If you want to do the smartphone os with just a browser thing, then yeah, you need to get one of the supported devices for GrapheneOS (or one of the other privacy oriented equivalents) and go that route.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If a person says they literally only want their phone to make phone calls, I don't see the problem in recommending they not use a smart phone. Installing an alternative OS and locking things down is way more trouble than it's worth if you aren't going to use the functionality that provides. If you only want phone calls, get a dumb phone. It's fine.

[Edit: I see now the requirement for Chrome. Why you'd want Chrome specifically if privacy is your goal, I don't know, but if you need a browser then disregard the advice to get a dumb phone.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 10, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the Samsung unpacked event is going to be Feb 8th with S22 pre-orders opening up the 9th which shipping by the 24th.

I'm curious if they are also going to announce the Tab S8 devices around that time as the S7 has been out for 17 months.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

hooah posted:

Unfortunately, the defaults reset every time the app in question updates, as of Android 12.

considering Vanced hardly ever updates, I am lucky in this regard :)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

If a person says they literally only want their phone to make phone calls, I don't see the problem in recommending they not use a smart phone. Installing an alternative OS and locking things down is way more trouble than it's worth if you aren't going to use the functionality that provides. If you only want phone calls, get a dumb phone. It's fine.

[Edit: I see now the requirement for Chrome. Why you'd want Chrome specifically if privacy is your goal, I don't know, but if you need a browser then disregard the advice to get a dumb phone.]

I just think the "apps I didn't consent to have installed on my phone" is what got me.

Like... yes... you did consent to that. You bought their phone with those apps on there. If you didn't want those, find another phone.

You didn't buy some clean phone and Moto barged in and installed those.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

If you want to do the smartphone os with just a browser thing, then yeah, you need to get one of the supported devices for GrapheneOS (or one of the other privacy oriented equivalents) and go that route.

GrapheneOS allows you to use apps from the Play Store that require Google services to function. F Droid has a large library too if you want to stay completely away from Play store. I've got all of the normal apps I used on my previous phones except now I don't have Chrome or any other standard Google apps or features.

If someone is considering switching to a custom OS and they want a bit more privacy then GrapheneOS is an easy sell as it just takes installing the fastboot drivers and then a web browser on your PC to install it now rather than the usual flashing methods through command line or 3rd party tools.

I'm assuming Chrome is being interchanged with a web browser here. I also think it's important to say that privacy is not a binary thing and people's threat models are going to differ greatly, and we shouldn't instinctively recommend a dumb phone just because they want less features or apps in their current phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

So, I know the December feature update got pulled, but shouldn't there have been some security updates?

Cause my 6 Pro is still sitting at November