Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just finished up UnderRail

It was legitimately very good, and tbh I'm surprised it doesn't seemed to be talked about that much given how much people love to rant that they want a proper Fallout game from Bethesda. That's the closest to FO1/2 I've felt with another game.

I've been looking at it for years every time I glance at it in my library but it gives off that old school unintutive design with some arbitrary punishing difficulty.

The Before I play page

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=UnderRail

has several mentions of skills that are non-negotiable, how you'll need to max dexterity in many cases, and a note of "don't ever kill these faction members for any reason" because of long term game consequence.

Is it old school hard but with modern QoL options, or just old school hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Atom RPG had some Fallout 1/2 vibes with it, with a dash of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thrown in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/GarbageWitchy/status/1480064473385762817?s=20

Been playing this game https://store.steampowered.com/app/846030/V_Rings_of_Saturn/ and its a pretty fun time if you love space, rocks and rocks in space and shooting them with lasers or drivers and scooping up ore nuggets. Dev is hinting there might be a sale soon again, but its already pretty cheap. Hire crew, improve your space rock gobbler, learn the horrors of physics as you decelerate with your cargo door open and all your rocks fly back into space.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Omi no Kami posted:

The thing is, I've heard a lot of people say that Dying Light gives a terrible first impression but improves significantly when you're halfway through the skill tree and have enough poo poo to actually run and fight effectively. Do you guys think it's worth pushing through to see improvements, or is it one of those jobbies where everything that bugs me by hour 5 is still going to be bugging me at hour 30?

Sounds like me with Elex. At least I’d read about its lovely “power”levels beforehand, though, so I was prepared up front to muscle my way through until I could kill stuff without instant death. The game is vastly different after 4-5 hours than at the starting gate.

The jetpack was cool immediately, though…it’s pretty up there and tbh I’m really looking forward to Elex II now!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be real; I continuously tried to get back into Dying Light but I keep bouncing off. I am pretty sure it is a me problem, in that in the early game at least it has no problem throwing you into situations that you may not be prepared for, on top of there being an experience penalty when you die.

There is an early game sidequest that is an example of this, where you suddenly need to knife fight 3 or 4 dudes at once. Of course you can do it later once you have some skills and good weapons, and I don’t have a problem with that, but the game never signposts these moments until you smash headfirst into them, which I find I have not patience for.

There is a real good, fun game there, but it can be prickly.

Anyway, now that I got it on the mind I will try it again sometime soonish.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I really appreciate the tips from everybody, thanks guys! I somewhat lamed out an early solution- I found an area that was ridiculously easy to farm Power points (the Voltage sidequest near the beginning, there's a fenced-in square with a shitton of zombies, a van you can stand on top of, and a tiny oil slick you can light on fire with firecrackers). I spent like an hour carefully murdering hundreds of dudes, and beefed my poor guy up enough that he at least won't be immediately murdered by a sneeze.

...except then I progressed the story and immediately ran into kamikaze zombies that literally do murder you with a sneeze.

It's absolutely more fun now that I've grinded most of my skills up to 10-12, although the balance still feels super-weird: the nighttime experience bonus is so huge, and the penalty from death is so minor, that it feels like there's almost no reason to not do everything at night. Which is fine, it's not that much harder, but it has the unfortunate effect of making the terrifying murder zombies way less scary.

Good game though! I can't tell if I'm gonna finish it (the combat's still kinda frustrating, and I'm not at all a fan of the kamikaze dudes), but at the very least I'm having way more fun than I was yesterday.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

credburn posted:

Is this game worth playing single player?

I thought it was designed around a multiplayer sandboxy experience. I enabled the multiplayer briefly and a dude appeared and just dumped a ton of super powerful poo poo at my feet, which honestly is what happens whenever I play multiplayer games.

It has multi-player? :confused:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Givin posted:

Atom RPG had some Fallout 1/2 vibes with it, with a dash of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thrown in.
It also has terrible writing and plays alt-right conspiracy theories completely straight.
The combat sucks rear end too.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

pentyne posted:

I've been looking at it for years every time I glance at it in my library but it gives off that old school unintutive design with some arbitrary punishing difficulty.

The Before I play page

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=UnderRail

has several mentions of skills that are non-negotiable, how you'll need to max dexterity in many cases, and a note of "don't ever kill these faction members for any reason" because of long term game consequence.

Is it old school hard but with modern QoL options, or just old school hard?

It's definitely got a lot of QoL options over the games it's trying to be like - my favorite is that if your character sees a trap they will instantly stop moving and also auto-path around them if possible when you give a move order, more games need that - but it is pretty grognard hard and there absolutely are trap building options. I'd take a lot of that before I play with a grain of salt because it's info is outdated but I would highly, highly recommend looking up a build and playing on easy for your first run. You'll learn pretty quick what works and what doesn't but those first several hours are crucial and being forced to restart because your build can't clear a mandatory fight isn't for fun for most folks.

The thing about the faceless is right tho do not kill any of them

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 10, 2022

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

quote:

Rough start in Dying Light
I think DLC weapon/recipe helped me skip through the rough start since they can 1 or 2 shot a zombie easily. Also come with elements at the very beginning.

quote:

fallout 1/2 + Stalker
I can’t get pass Underail, it gets boring after a while navigating everywhere.

The best one for me is Encased, which done it right with the turnbased system with its slice of innovation in feat system. Also perfectly incorporated the fun Stalker’s abnormally and throwing bolts system.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Vampire Survivors is way too good, and the two people in this thread who still haven't played it should do so post-haste.

Steam Thread: Dramatic chest opening

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One Man Crowd posted:

I'm currently hopelessly addicted to Motor Town: Behind The Wheel

This is pretty neat but I refunded it because it's pretty janky and I'm already playing Snowrunner which is kinda the same feel of this except with mud. I'm going to put it back on the wishlist and keep an eye on it for sure.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Randomly had a craving for a good top-down rpg. Anyone have any recs? Games I've liked are Div 1/2, dragon age Origins, wasteland 3. Tried with the shadow run games but they haven't stuck.

Want fun combat first but preferably also a good story.

Pathfinder Kingmaker and Tyranny are on my radar but reviews caveat the combat in both and I want to be challenged but not frustrated.
A few pages back but take a look at Encased.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/921800/Encased_A_SciFi_PostApocalyptic_RPG/
Don't feel bad about cheating/hacking the Fatigue system, you get to bust it in-game at some point anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/GarbageWitchy/status/1480064473385762817?s=20

Been playing this game https://store.steampowered.com/app/846030/V_Rings_of_Saturn/ and its a pretty fun time if you love space, rocks and rocks in space and shooting them with lasers or drivers and scooping up ore nuggets. Dev is hinting there might be a sale soon again, but its already pretty cheap. Hire crew, improve your space rock gobbler, learn the horrors of physics as you decelerate with your cargo door open and all your rocks fly back into space.
This game is basically campaign hard sci fi Asteroids. There's a surprising amount of builds considering you're just playing Asteroids and a bunch of fun weird stuff they can happen that are both scripted events and just emergent from the physics and situations mining naturally gets you into.

$10 is both a steal and the right price because it really just is Asteroids, but it's possibly the best game you could have ever made out of Asteroids.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Blattdorf posted:

Steam Thread: Dramatic chest opening
I read this and immediately got the jingle in my head!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The rare chests give me big :neckbeard: energy and I love it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wait, what's this Vampire Survivors thing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A fun new game someone discovered that costs less than a cup of coffee.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Someone should probably make a thread for Vampire Survivors based on the amount of conversation about it (I don't know the game at all)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If ya'll like Vampire Survivors and you have an android phone then definitely check out Magic Survival.

It's pretty much the same game but free and on mobile and with an honestly less eye destroying aesthetic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there an android app for tracking game completion/backlog/achievement status for your Steam profile, other than the Steam app itself? Something like backloggery or true achievements, but on Android app format.

Edit: for clarity, I'm looking for something that can look at my Steam profile and automatically add games into it, rather than me doing it manually.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 10, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
On that note, is there something similar (or a way inside the program) to sort games by time played?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

A fun new game someone discovered that costs less than a cup of coffee.

I feel like the dev is honestly doing themselves a disservice by charging $3. It's such a low price point it belies how many hours you'll get out of it. Like I got a good 15 hours out of it and only just starting to get fatigued, and that's more so because I'm like "Oh the bible is comically over powered compared to everything else"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sab669 posted:

I feel like the dev is honestly doing themselves a disservice by charging $3. It's such a low price point it belies how many hours you'll get out of it. Like I got a good 15 hours out of it and only just starting to get fatigued, and that's more so because I'm like "Oh the bible is comically over powered compared to everything else"

It's at the beginning of a planned year-long EA period and they said the price will go up over time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

On that note, is there something similar (or a way inside the program) to sort games by time played?

Your profile -> Games

It may even be the default option.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Eason the Fifth posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/<your Url or username>/games?tab=all

playtime should be the default sort.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 10, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Deakul posted:

If ya'll like Vampire Survivors and you have an android phone then definitely check out Magic Survival.

It's pretty much the same game but free and on mobile and with an honestly less eye destroying aesthetic.

:yeah: This is the game I played for a while. It's pretty fun for what it is and it has a bit more longevity than Vampire Survival. The spells and enemies and everything are pretty much exactly the same. It's much more frustrating to control on android but having precise keyboard controls (in VS) made the game too easy for me. Magic Survival also has better balance where nothing is really overpowered/game-breaking

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
great, thanks guys

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

I thought it was designed around a multiplayer sandboxy experience. I enabled the multiplayer briefly and a dude appeared and just dumped a ton of super powerful poo poo at my feet, which honestly is what happens whenever I play multiplayer games.

I never bothered with the MP. I've heard good things about it, but I typically don't enjoy MP as much as SP. It seems like it's presented as primarily an SP experience.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

credburn posted:

Depends on what kind of fun you're looking for.

Single player is Dawn of the Dead. Multiplayer is Shaun of the Dead.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just finished up UnderRail

It was legitimately very good, and tbh I'm surprised it doesn't seemed to be talked about that much given how much people love to rant that they want a proper Fallout game from Bethesda. That's the closest to FO1/2 I've felt with another game.

There’s so much I want to like about it, but can’t get past the constant asymmetric disadvantage in numbers you have, coupled with what I learned later is a bias in pre-planned builds.

1. It’s always only you; no allies, or summonables, or support - unless you’ve had the foresight (through quick saving) to set traps. Getting stunned means everyone gets a full turn to wail on you. I get the realism of that, but it makes for very annoying save scummy play.

2. It seems like Dex is king. If you aren’t getting as many AP’s as possible, you’re going to have to RNG your way through fights. You can’t be a barterer, or charisma char, or sniper.

That said, there’s a lot I do like. The setting is good, with decent enough writing. It does a great model of an isometric RPG a la wasteland, or fallout. And the barter system is actually really good, with specific vendors wanting specific good - and even being able to eke out profit by crafting items and selling to traders at a premium.

It’s not for everyone. I’ve gotten to the end area twice now, but been so burned out getting there that I finally drop out. But there is a lot of scratch-itching it does.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So God of War releases in a few days, I only just realised :stare: Is there any reason to think it might be a garbage port or anything? I don't wanna get too excited...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So God of War releases in a few days, I only just realised :stare: Is there any reason to think it might be a garbage port or anything? I don't wanna get too excited...

It's a total wildcard, Santa Monica Studios internal engine has never shipped on PC before, and the port is being outsourced to a third party (Jetpack Interactive)

Really could go either way

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's being ported by Jetpack Interactive, who have previous worked on the PC ports for Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare II, Dark Souls, and a few NBA games. Also looks like they ported Orcs Must Die! Unchained from PC to PS4, so they should have some familiarity between PC and PS4 porting.

It's not a slam dunk of quality ports like when you see something is being ported by Night Dive (Turok, Doom64), but it's not anything that screams it's going to be a garbage fire.

I'd keep an eye on it and check out reviews once it launches, and maybe be prepared to wait a month or so for patches. That's what I'm doing, at least. Definitely don't preorder.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

on the bright side, if the port is bad we can call it god of poor

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If anyone desperately wants it on day one, GMG has 15% off pre-orders

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/god-of-war-pc/

Remember you can't refund games bought this way though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

on the bright side, if the port is bad we can call it god of poor

Bad of Port.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

deep dish peat moss posted:

in Vampire Survivor you can just get the evolved bible and then go afk and you'll survive until 30 minutes :kiddo:

I had a similar setup going until a boss spawned literally on my head and insta-killed me at 25 minutes. :argh:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sloppy posted:

I had a similar setup going until a boss spawned literally on my head and insta-killed me at 25 minutes. :argh:

Hahaha owned

I have yet to best my first run which was 21 minutes and let me unlock everyone who was unlockable at the time. I do well with the extra projectile guy and badly with everyone else. Still having a blast though and it's so nice for my dumb ADHD brain to have a game I can start up and *know* that no matter what, there'll be a natural pause point in 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Hahaha owned

I have yet to best my first run which was 21 minutes and let me unlock everyone who was unlockable at the time. I do well with the extra projectile guy and badly with everyone else. Still having a blast though and it's so nice for my dumb ADHD brain to have a game I can start up and *know* that no matter what, there'll be a natural pause point in 30 minutes.

Projectile Man was my go-to for a while, but I've switched back to the first dude after unlocking the +1 Projectiles skill. Starting out with the Whip that hits both forward and back, as well as gaining +Damage every 10 character levels is just too strong