Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bobkatt013 posted:

He is releasing some more this year

oh really? i haven't caught a post by him mentioning it at all. cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bobkatt013 posted:

He is releasing some more this year

Plus new Arrowsmith with Pacheco. I also think that I read they're reprinting a bunch of older AS. I stopped after the first regular series ended so I might look for those.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

Plus new Arrowsmith with Pacheco. I also think that I read they're reprinting a bunch of older AS. I stopped after the first regular series ended so I might look for those.

Whoa, I had the first trade of this years ago and had no idea it ever got followed up on.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

Whoa, I had the first trade of this years ago and had no idea it ever got followed up on.

It didn't until now. I loved the first run. Not the most original conceit but really well executed. Pacheco's best work, in my opinion.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to see the Beast takes, always cool to get some Hank McCoy talk.

I'm reading the 80s Claremont stuff still, good comics. Lockheed rules, just met the New Mutants, they're cool so far, pretty sweet.

The read order does get a bit wild at this point, for example the Teen Titans crossover is said to fit around 167, there's that annual with Dracula, also God Loves Man Kills I gotta read soon. And this is only the beginning.

Also have that tpb The Gift which throws a Nightcrawler mini-series in for good measure etc.

X-Factor I'm thinking I'll largely skip, at least for the moment, ditto for Excalibur. Maybe I'll circle back to those runs after I read some other X eras as well. Lotta comics.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

X-Factor starts off very unevenly but once it finds its feet is an excellent book. Excalibur is very much its own beast and probably not for everyone but it's got really great characters and absolutely gorgeous Alan Davis art. It doesn't really tie in to anything else but that's not a negative. If you have any affection for Nightcrawler or Kitty it's essential reading.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, does sound really cool. And I love those characters. It's just zany how many years I've been reading the Claremont run off and on. I'm too curious to move ahead to some recent stuff sooner as well.

My current "curated" to my preferences read order from here, sans most of Excalibur and X-Factor, is another 200 issues or so until the end of Claremont I think. A lotta comics! If I read like the wind, and stick to comics more than other hobbies, I may read HoX/PoX in a year. Some people start a gym membership in January. I start the X-ership.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Excalibur was always off on its own thing and you can skip it fine but I would definitely recommend X-Factor until Inferno's done at the very least because you're only getting one side of the story.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. For X-Factor I've got the various event issues etc. Some prologue/epilogue type stuff as well, if there are a handful of issues that would enhance Inferno for me I could throw those on the list. I don't have the power level to pull off putting 40 issues of X-Factor on this year's comic pile. Plus my friend wants me to read Saga, we've all been there. That does look pretty good.

If the sides of the story is on Cyclops looking like a dick, already forgiven. I've heard people talk about that on forums and blogs over the years, not going into it cold or anything. I appreciate the recs though, and cool to hear people's fav runs even if I'm not taking them all in myself.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

X-Factor is a real struggle for me, because the inciting incident of the book is one of the worst moments in X-Men continuity and it's very hard to look past, especially for the first couple of years of the book where the entire team grows out of Scott's decision to abandon his wife and infant child to go hang out with X-Factor and try to score with Jean. I think that hits harder when you're fresh from reading Claremont Uncanny and all the wholesome stuff about Cyclops starting a family that leads up to it, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's voting time!
This year's X-Men choices are:

Armor
Avalanche
Bling!
Firestar
Gentle
Gorgon
Micromax
Penance
Siryn
Surge

https://www.marvel.com/characters/x-men-vote

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Im on an 80s Claremont first time read-through also and holy hell those first few issues of x-factor and the annual were just an exercise in tediousness. The writer before Simonson takes over makes Claremont’s narration and dialogue seem succinct in comparison.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Micromax is in contention to become an X-Man. What a world in which we live.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm voting Surge because I liked that New Mutants team. It's weird how inconsistent the depictions of that era's X-Men have been though. Anole is being written as a young teen in NM, while Wind Dancer is an adult over in X-Corp.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Anole has never gotten the respect he deserves. Rockslide too (:rip:)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Android Blues posted:

X-Factor is a real struggle for me, because the inciting incident of the book is one of the worst moments in X-Men continuity and it's very hard to look past, especially for the first couple of years of the book where the entire team grows out of Scott's decision to abandon his wife and infant child to go hang out with X-Factor and try to score with Jean. I think that hits harder when you're fresh from reading Claremont Uncanny and all the wholesome stuff about Cyclops starting a family that leads up to it, though.

For what it's worth, they try to handwave this away at the end of Inferno where Sinister suggests that he influenced Maddie to push Scott away. The implication is that Scott doesn't leave her and Lil Nate but is instead he is manipulated into doing it.

It's not a great explanation but for something that in-story was "resolved," the idea that Scott just pure abandoned them has lived on. Even I still make the joke!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Endless Mike posted:

It's voting time!
This year's X-Men choices are:

Armor
Avalanche
Bling!
Firestar
Gentle
Gorgon
Micromax
Penance
Siryn
Surge

https://www.marvel.com/characters/x-men-vote

Had to go with Firestar, she's a dang amazing friend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
micromax is too funny not to vote for

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I'm voting Surge because I liked that New Mutants team. It's weird how inconsistent the depictions of that era's X-Men have been though. Anole is being written as a young teen in NM, while Wind Dancer is an adult over in X-Corp.

also, anole didn't die so he should be a couple years older than wind dancer now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I voted for Gentle fwiw. None of these are particularly interesting to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

X-Factor starts off very unevenly but once it finds its feet is an excellent book. Excalibur is very much its own beast and probably not for everyone but it's got really great characters and absolutely gorgeous Alan Davis art. It doesn't really tie in to anything else but that's not a negative. If you have any affection for Nightcrawler or Kitty it's essential reading.

Sticking out Excalibur until you get to where Davis writes and draws the book is highly recommended.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I went with Armor. Wasn't she in the last election too?

Fake Edit: the mudslinging starts early this campaign https://www.comicsxf.com/2022/01/10/dirty-secrets-the-x-men-vote-candidates-dont-want-you-to-know/

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 10, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Didn't realize this would be an annual vote. So, how will this work? Will the the winner join the current team? Replace someone? Will there be another in-universe vote for the rest of the roster, potentially creating a partially or entirely new team?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Firestar please

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Firestar seems to want nothing to do with Krakoa :shrug:

Anyway, Siryn already won this before it even started.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Answering my own question. Apparently there will be a new team that, like last time, will be announced at the Hellfire Gala. Curious how much they shake up the roster, as changing it too drastically seems like it'd be a challenge to write. I assume Scott Captain Krakoa and Jean are safe bets unless they really shake things up, and that at least some of the previous members will get a second term.

Also, while I liked the Hellfire Gala last time, I kind of hope it's not another big crossover event, as doing that once a year sounds exhausting. Would much prefer to make it a mini, or at least smaller crossover, if not contained to just the X-Men title.

Anyway, after listening to her episode on the Cerebro podcast, I'm going with Bling! She has a lot potential! And excitement! Why am I yelling?!

Gorgon was a close second though, because I'd like to see the Otherworld deaths explored more. Though I'd much rather see it done with Rockslide.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, that is a blatant lie about Siryn! The WTC had already been destroyed a decade before she ever put on a costume!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Armor is cool. Probably gonna be used in a million books even if she doesn’t make X-man.

Avalanche’s entire personality is “loyal to his friends to a fault” so that might be fun to explore but probably there won’t be enough space to do it.

Bling is cool, although another semi-blank state.

Firestar is like 20 years of parallel dangling plots that no one has really cared to reconcile. Krakoa doesn’t seem her style but then again I think we last saw her working retail and anything sounds better than that to a person no matter how out of character eventually.

I know very little about Gentle. Seems cool?

Gorgon is someone’s OC. He already has like a 40 page back story I think he is better as a background character for a while.

Micromax is a cop, he should be an antagonist of Nightcrawler’s attempt to do more gentle policing that probably won’t work, rather than X-men main.

The person here who is a Monet expert convinced me the way they are using M now makes no sense so better to not keep that going.

Siryn could be really good if they incorporate her many years of X-Factor stuff instead of her just hanging in the back saying Irish Stuff but we know that is what he will probably be. This is another character that will be used somehow if it isn’t here.

Surge is dope. I would like to see her do something to elevate her overall importance so she is used more. Electricity is a cool power, too. I am kind of leaning this way. This exercise has made me decide this is my vote.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rick posted:

Armor is cool. Probably gonna be used in a million books even if she doesn’t make X-man.

Bad news on that front: she's been around for 15 years and no one's basically wrote anything interesting with her that I recall, much less give her the spotlight for a whole story.

Rick posted:

I know very little about Gentle.

This is an (urgent) invitation to drop whatever you are doing right now and go read Tom Taylor's X-Men Red.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I will find a way to write in Strong Guy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Firestar has been in the background of Krakoa shots. She's on the island. It would be cool to see her used more since she has such a long history with Emma.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I voted for Bling! because I love a queer mutant and I also think the team needs more members who aren't just normal-style human-looking people. I think if the flagship X-Men team is supposed to be the public face of mutantkind, it should include some members who LOOK like mutants.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Firestar has been in the background of Krakoa shots. She's on the island.

Can you give an example or two? I can't recall ever seeing her. Heck, last time I even saw Firestar anywhere near other mutants was in "Wolverine and the X-Men" years ago.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Firestar has been in the background of Krakoa shots. She's on the island. It would be cool to see her used more since she has such a long history with Emma.

A hell of an understatement, what with the whole exploded horse and all.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Rick posted:

Avalanche’s entire personality is “loyal to his friends to a fault” so that might be fun to explore but probably there won’t be enough space to do it.

He's also one of the dumbest mutants (which is why I voted for him).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I went with Armor. Wasn't she in the last election too?

Yup. I voted for her, but only because I realized too late Surge was on the table.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Can you give an example or two? I can't recall ever seeing her. Heck, last time I even saw Firestar anywhere near other mutants was in "Wolverine and the X-Men" years ago.

She was in a crowd shot in X-Force #2, which is kind of dubious because it also included Changeling, who is definitely supposed to be dead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rantmo posted:

A hell of an understatement, what with the whole exploded horse and all.
You gotta explain this more. For one thing, whose horse was it?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ok, going entirely from memory just to see how much of this poo poo is lodged forever in my brain: Firestar was enrolled at the Massachusetts Academy and there had a horse named Butter Rum. Emma was long-gaming some sort of gaslighting/corrupting of Angelica for... reasons... Angelica didn't like being at the school and spent a lot of time horseback riding and so Emma strapped explosives of some sort to the horse and blew it up along with the barn, again, for reasons.

Edit: maybe it had something to do with making Angelica second-guess her powers? I want to say that was a part of it, even if that wasn't why she blew the horse up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Emma didn't actually blow up Butter Rum, she burned down the stable Butter Rum was in as part of a gaslighting effort to make Firestar think she started the fire because she got too horny for Cannonball, but the way the paneling is framed it really looks like Emma blows up Butter Rum