Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I shouldn’t really complain because I’ve been able to put it off like a year thanks to working at home and not having to drive a lot of freeway/long distances but I’m finally sucking it up and dropping off my car for new tires today and uugghhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Peter King just told me Bob Saget passed away. Thought I would cry.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I am so so so glad I never lost either. I’ve heard it’s miserable.

It was an inconvenience. I've lost it before for bad head colds so when I do I prioritize crunch and heat. Normally I can't stand black eyed peas at New Year's but since they tasted like water I threw some habanero in them and had two bowls of them this time.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
ERs certainly aren’t holding up here. 8 hours wait for my mom to get seen and she’s been bed ridden for 3 weeks and I’ve gotten very little info besides “not covid!” But once that’s established they really don’t seem to care.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

Never. The frog has been boiled.

A mass walk-out of hospitals would do it, but I'm not sure that would ever happen either. I think there's enough doctors and nurses who wouldn't feel right walking out knowing they'd be leaving people to die.

NYC has mass graves and refrigerated trucks to hold bodies at the beginning, but I guess that was different because it was so new and everyone was trying to figure out a plan. Of course, we would've had better plans if Trump had bothered to plan anything at all. The way I'm seeing Biden react to the newest wave makes me think the Dems wouldn't have done that much more either though.

Chicago built this emergency COVID ward at McCormick Place Convention Center in 2020, and I think they saw 10 patients. I'm not sure why they don't open that back up and send all COVID patients there and have the national guard staff it. Maybe they don't have the personnel or something. Then again, Illinois hasn't quite hit hospital capacity yet.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1480538296392597510

this looks loving horrible

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Chicago built this emergency COVID ward at McCormick Place Convention Center in 2020, and I think they saw 10 patients. I'm not sure why they don't open that back up and send all COVID patients there and have the national guard staff it. Maybe they don't have the personnel or something. Then again, Illinois hasn't quite hit hospital capacity yet.

Harris County did one of those as well back at the beginning of Covid. They rerouted $60 million from the road maintenance budget, spent $17 million of that on tents, spent the rest on staffing the tents with traveling nurses and a bunch of people at an environmental service firm at $2000 per day each, and the only other people that ever saw the inside of it were journalists before breaking it down a month later. Just a massive waste.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 10, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My selfish concern about healthcare collapsing is my wife is on a lot of stuff for chronic conditions and if it starts to become hard to get those then I get to watch her suffer because shitheads think Bull Gates wants to out a mind control chip in them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The new Uncle Phil was fantastic in the English version of 19-2, so they did pick one bright spot

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

T-Square posted:

Yeah I was using the grocery store food stuff, I’ll keep an eye out for gel coloring and add after! I’m not gonna quit until I make some cute drat macarons so I’m planning on trying again this weekend. Thanks for the helpful tips!

The water in those cheapie colors is what busts up your meringue. For gel colors, the best place to find them is a craft store or party store that sells cake supplies. Michael's is a big box store that carries them. Wilton or Americolor are the most popular brands. I like Americolor because they come in small squeeze bottles that are easy to use. Wilton's comes in little pots and you have to scoop the color out. Much less convenient. Good luck on your next try! I can't wait to see what you make.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

My selfish concern about healthcare collapsing is my wife is on a lot of stuff for chronic conditions and if it starts to become hard to get those then I get to watch her suffer because shitheads think Bull Gates wants to out a mind control chip in them.

That's not selfish, that's trying to not die. This is always the real concern with COVID surges is how it pushes everyone else out of the hospital. Cancer checks get delayed, surgeries get delayed, someone can't get into the ER, it's a total disaster right now.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Welp I popped positive today on a rapid antigen test. Everything around me was appointment only and took almost a full week to get in. I started having symptoms around Wednesday after my roommate told me he was exposed at work a day earlier. It sucks having to use 4 days worth of vacation before I could get tested even though I had no plans on doing anything till this pandemic ends.

So far my symptoms have been headache, congestion, and coughing. This is with 2 doses of Pfizer in march/april. I wanted to get my booster in December but I work for ups so I didn't exactly have time working double the hours with no weekends. Guess I've got to wait even longer now to get it. I'm honestly surprised it took me this long to pop positive after multiple exposures and tests.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m going to stop posting about it because a) I feel like I’m going crazy and b) I know I’m being an insufferable downer, but my pet theory is that we successfully flattened the curve enough that the apocalyptic imagery was largely contained within the walls of the hospitals and the huge triage scenarios and plans, haphazard though they were, were never put to the test in full display outside of a few pockets.

Couple that with competing media machines with diverging realities…

Most people felt they sacrificed for nothing.

I don’t know, it’s all very discouraging and makes me want to live in a van by the river.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Also, sorry you got sick, Stanley—take care of yourself. :hf:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

As a cleanser, this thread is amazing:

https://twitter.com/thesarahyork/status/1480371733823635456?s=21

My fave:

https://twitter.com/thesarahyork/status/1480379857481703426?s=21

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I really wonder if it would change things if the law allowed people to show video footage of what's happening in hospitals. We're all so isolated and alienated and being individually victimized by society that it seems impossible to do much other than keep your head above water. And if you fail, then you lose whatever limited power you had to actually change things. I really believe US society has never been filled with more caring and competent people but our archaic structures and disproportionate influence of the powerful prevent that from resulting in the change needed to build a world worthy of us.

That said, what hope I have for the future rests on people like LeeMajors doing what they can to alleviate the suffering of their fellow man. I sincerely hope that I am contributing to that same project in my own small way.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thesarahyork/status/1480402509445447680?s=20

I thought these were supposed to be made up?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Ben one is very true.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
She straddles the line

https://twitter.com/thesarahyork/status/1480423046968184833?s=20

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lol the one for Matt Stafford very accurately discribes one of my cousins. He had a bunch of people scouting him but the booze got to him first.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Welp I tested negative on a PCR test but my gf tested positive. She doesn't have her booster but she's not feeling all that bad so far.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing I don’t like about the “everyone will get it best not do anything about it” is how bad regular flus can be even if you aren’t hospitalized or dying.

The last non-Covid flu I had kicked my rear end and made me feel miserable for over a week, I don’t want something like that again if it can be avoided

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The thing that irks me about that mentality is all the people who can't get vaccinated. Like my underage son or people with preexisting conditions that put them in serve danger from Covid.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The thing that irks me about that mentality is all the people who can't get vaccinated. Like my underage son or people with preexisting conditions that put them in serve danger from Covid.

There's also immunocompromised people that don't develop many antibodies from a vaccine either. They're getting extra boosters in hopes of getting anything but it's barely taking.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I'm vaccinated and boosted and have it I'm 99% certain thanks to the GF getting her positive test yesterday. While I'm not feeling completely horrible, I've definitely feel rough the last few days.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The made up part is physical therapy versus chiropractic :v:

bobjr posted:

One thing I don’t like about the “everyone will get it best not do anything about it” is how bad regular flus can be even if you aren’t hospitalized or dying.

The last non-Covid flu I had kicked my rear end and made me feel miserable for over a week, I don’t want something like that again if it can be avoided

Not to mention the long-lasting side effects covid has. People dealing with exhaustion and decreased lung capacity (among other symptoms) weeks after having it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

Not to mention the long-lasting side effects covid has. People dealing with exhaustion and decreased lung capacity (among other symptoms) weeks after having it.

I had pneumonia in october and still can't ride my bike like I could prior. Have to straight up stop for a minute after a 5 minute warmup for my body to catch up.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dango Bango posted:

The made up part is physical therapy versus chiropractic :v:

I got OG COVID back at the beginning of the whole deal and I didn't breathe right from March when I got it until late August/early September. poo poo F U C K E D me right up

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Yeah a friend of mine from work caught original Covid in November last year and it took until September of this year for her to get fully cleared to come back to work full time. She wasn't even severe enough for hospitalization but it hosed her lungs up so badly that she now requires a rescue inhaler be on her at all times and has a hard time walking for too long. It also destroyed her marriage since her husband didn't do poo poo and still thinks Covid is no big deal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Managed to book a COVID test today, appointments kept filling up as I was booking them. It felt like buying a PS5 all over again, america.txt

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1480616210089787396

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh no!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got no testing to prove it, but I'm at this point like 60% sure I'm about 8 days into a bout of Omicron myself. We found a mold problem early last week concurrent with onset of symptoms that are basically identical to my mold allergy, I took care of the mold (and we've found a stucco repair contractor who is gonna come give us a quote tomorrow, finally) but my symptoms have persisted. Mild cough, mild congestion, kinda fuzzy-headed, sleeping heavier than usual, and I can hear the tiny soft pops of bubbles of gunk in my lungs when I breathe at night.

Was still able to go for a non-strenuous hike on Saturday, so I'm hardly debilitated. Looks like a shot of J&J plus a booster of Moderna put me in good stead. Although also maybe I'm still just reacting to mold spores and don't have covid. Who knows.

My wife seems fine. She could have been asymptomatic though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I decided to go to the allergist last winter and start getting my allergies treated with more than just Zyrtec because most of my allergy symptoms are identical to mild Covid and I'd rather not be constantly thinking I caught it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RIP Robert Durst, killed them all for the nookie.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I've got no testing to prove it, but I'm at this point like 60% sure I'm about 8 days into a bout of Omicron myself. We found a mold problem early last week concurrent with onset of symptoms that are basically identical to my mold allergy, I took care of the mold (and we've found a stucco repair contractor who is gonna come give us a quote tomorrow, finally) but my symptoms have persisted. Mild cough, mild congestion, kinda fuzzy-headed, sleeping heavier than usual, and I can hear the tiny soft pops of bubbles of gunk in my lungs when I breathe at night.

Was still able to go for a non-strenuous hike on Saturday, so I'm hardly debilitated. Looks like a shot of J&J plus a booster of Moderna put me in good stead. Although also maybe I'm still just reacting to mold spores and don't have covid. Who knows.

My wife seems fine. She could have been asymptomatic though.

All of my symptoms just remind me of a usual cold - feeling tired, sore throat, congested nose, but no huge loss of taste and smell (it's hampered by the congested nose but I still smell things, and taste is fine). Basically all that's left is a lingering cough, and slightly congested nose that's probably feeding the cough. I neti pot before the night, and that helps. My fiancee hasn't had any symptoms either, so who knows. Guess I'll find out whenever they get this PCR test done.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The guy served like 3 months of a life sentence. Must be nice to have a lot of money and be able to avoid punishment for so long.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can't believe BoJack Horseman outlived Bob Saget

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

I’m going to stop posting about it because a) I feel like I’m going crazy

My experience is all second-hand from my wife, but I had to tell a coworker that we are basically living separate realities when it comes to COVID. I said our company's most recent update was toothless, and she said she thinks they're doing a pretty good job.

Someone I work with was sending me messages on IG agreeing about how outrageous it was when a manager told me I didn't have to wear my mask at my desk. She was all-in talking about how everyone doesn't take it seriously, then the next day she posted an IG story from the Wild game :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

bobjr posted:

its dumb for a million loving reason, not just the massive loss of life from unvaccinated folks but also we don't understand the long term effects well (they seem to be pretty loving bad), the vaccine doesn't guarantee you won't die/get hospitalized it just decreases your odds greatly, letting it run rampant will and currently is overloading the healthcare system, and the most insanely loving stupid bit of all is that it won't even grant you immunity to future strains gently caress we're not even sure it grants you immunity to catching omicron twice after a month or two. by every measure our current approach is a colossal policy failure that looks an awful lot like eugenics when we talk about the disabled and immuno compromised.