Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa wait, being a dumb idiot is punishable by prison time now?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pinocchio was the Achewood of the medieval times or whenever it's from, imo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:negative:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He might not have been jailed for rascalry, but he's definitely a rascal.

Things get really interesting once he meets up with the now-freed rascal Capac.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kennel posted:

Does the growing nose appear again in the story or was it a one-time* gag that happened to become the defining trait of the character (in popular culture)?

*) it also grew in chapter 3, but that wasn't lie related.

It might happen one more time, I can't remember. But yeah it's not a frequent occurrence.

Interestingly it's not as though Disney perpetuated that either - it only happens once in that movie in very similar circumstances.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Achewood speaks to you or it don't. To me it does and i find it weird that so MANY people don't like it. Idk maybe I'm the wrong one, overly praising a webcomic from back in the day where simply updating with SOMETHING on a semi regular schedule was good enough for most of us.

It's the kind of 'friends hang out and get up to crazy hijinks that seem like they could be believable' comic. (Minus the obviously extraordinary)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Achewood used to have an incredible reputation but I got the impression something suspect happened with Onstad and people got over it

I know he restarted the strip a bunch of times and I think each time it got worse and it sort of tainted the earlier strips as well? I don't know. I still love it but there's certainly a spot I usually stop reading it (before the "high school" arc somewhere)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Antitonic posted:

So you’re saying Achewood does get good at some point? Because I’ve been trying to see what everyone likes about it, and I just don’t get it. Maybe it’s just because it’s early stuff, and it’s not funny yet?

Like HFD grew on me after the art really put me off at first, but I’ve had the chance to get into the story.

it does not get better

it's an unfunny boring comic

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Achewood is the Peanuts of webcomics

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

#18. Tank.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
I do not get why goons are so weird about Achewood but goons are weird about a lot of things and have generally terrible taste, so, there's that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Makai no Ossan

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Achewood ended after Philippe came back from his mom. There are strips after that arc, but they don't matter.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The quality of the dialogue in achewood is unmatched in the webcomic medium, imo. Onstad writes so many consistently distinct voices. I even remember enjoying the metafictional blogs he was doing for some of the characters for a while. I'm glad that it's being posted in this thread again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mousse vs. Pierat: Whoever Wins... We Lose.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's nowhere near that good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
more like the pee from the nuts of webcomics

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

OMG I don't care about Achewood.
Tell me more about autumn leaves and sweet potatoes.
Through the medium of demon dad comics.
:allears:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I thoroughly enjoy Achewood and am having a blast reading through this reposting.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Achewood doesn't fit my sense of humour, and that's fine. Clearly plenty of people enjoyed it.

I'd never read it before it started getting posted here, aside from the occasional random page people would post elsewhere. In the past I assumed the comic had more character stuff going on that would make the jokes land, but no, it's just relying on a vibe that I don't get I guess.
I do think its reputation is pretty inflated for what it is. But it's old. It's much easier to be the funniest comic on the internet when the competition is Megatokyo and Bob And George.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Chas McGill posted:

The quality of the dialogue in achewood is unmatched in the webcomic medium, imo.

Not sure how you can say this with breadcat in the very next post lol.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love a good Princess Bride riff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Achewood's just another comic I scroll past. Its high points are pretty good but they're few and far between enough for me that I don't think it's worth looking out for them.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Achewood is like the twin peaks S2 of comics in that I totally get if it doesn't vibe with you and Kyle MacLachlan plays lie-bot

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

glossing over the horrifying implications of one being a sentient panopticon, i like scenes were donald shows he's more than just the muscle in their relationship

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Achewood creeped out Kate Beaton and drove her off

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #377: A prize and a promise

=========================

Hitmen for Destiny #377: Begging and arguing

Hitmen for Destiny #377: Sleepers and intruders

Hitmen for Destiny #377: Machete and Tommy Gun

Bodycount: 157 158
+Gerhardsen goon

And we're off!

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Jan 10, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
BTW thanks for posting gone with the blastwave. We're now past the point where I first discovered it and stopped reading so I'm looking forward to the rest

CPColin posted:

Achewood creeped out Kate Beaton and drove her off

It is known

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
That a lie. Kate grew bored of achewoods storylines and left on her own. It's just Ray keeps saying its that she was run off, probably to inflate his self worth

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It started out really good, then trailed off in quality pretty rapidly but hung around for decades based on nostalgic inertia??

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Roast Beef and Teodore keep sending her apology messages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

Roast Beef and Teodore keep sending her apology messages.

Also Ronnie.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Kate Beaton was permabanned for threatening violence against then-president Ronald Reagan.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chris Onstad is Kate Beaton.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Paladinus posted:

Kate Beaton was permabanned for threatening violence against then-president Ronald Reagan.

That's the best one yet, I'm choosing to believe this for the rest of my life.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, she had this really weird fixation with Barry Foster, of all people

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What ever happened to that post apocalyptic charlie brown webcomic? That must have been years ago.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

What ever happened to that post apocalyptic charlie brown webcomic? That must have been years ago.

Weapon Brown, apparently it's still updating. Good to know permabanning the creator for being a terrible person wasn't enough to stop their creative output!

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

The creator got banned for being weird in the newspaper comics thread and QCS

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Achewood speaks to you or it don't.

This is entirely correct, but also I used to not get Achewood. Then I read the Great Outdoor Fight Storyline and suddenly everything made sense and even going back it was hilarious. So if you don't get it, that's cool but you might later?

Hattie Masters has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Also ground zero for the Dec 2019 blowout over FYAD if I remember right