Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

The curse of being granted (functional) eyes

only eyes inside matter, otherwise one walks blind through this mortal coil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Irithyll looks good though. If irithyll looks bad there's like 2 things in ds1 that don't look like poo poo. Ds3 is better than 1 gameplay wise but 1 has the highest highs of 1-3.

Ash Lake is insane even if I don't love the great hollow. It's more visually interesting than it plays well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm hamming it up a bit. The game just looks a little dated and that's all that's wrong with it.

People I see saying Elden Ring looks like poo poo are funny.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

but they reused assets! :byodood:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:darksouls:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Reusing assets is cool and good, all the best series recycle

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i was def joking btw, i literally don't give a single gently caress about reused assets or whatever

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I demand not only brand new assets from scratch but brand new engines and libraries

Also Majula is the prettiest area in any souls game second is heides

E: third is dragon aerie and shrine of amana

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 10, 2022

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Majula is special. I'm sure the music has something to do with it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

:wrong:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ds 2 is transcendental because it was a developmental disaster and was thrown together like a fever dream. Which is exactly what it feels like. It should ge a mess but it just feels so cool because of it. For some of us anyway. It’s very love/hate because it has a very different feel to the first game. But i liked that. Ds3 is great but i really didn’t like how Miyazaki got self indulgent about Gwyn’s extended family and remember onion dude?! Like it seems they are contemptuous of 2 but without it the story is ridiculously narrow and recursive.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Ds2 as an allegory for dementia is powerful to me and I love it for that

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

ER is basically using DS3 engine 1.5. Same input buffering and all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
DS2 is good. I really like its multiplayer loop, where you can use small soapstones to get smooth & silky stones, and trade them for actually useful rewards at the birds so you can make all sorts of weapons and builds for different situations even early on in the game. That's sorely missing from 3. I missed the anticipation of successfully helping another player and then beelining to the birds to see what juicy gem they will give me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hatty posted:

DeS remake has a weird look to it I’m not sure what it is but I don’t like the art style.

I feel the same way (the UI is especially bad to me) I like the way the original game looks but I'm also a guy who's super into the retro FPS renaissance. Some of the choices for how they redid certain enemies were baffling when it would've been better to just use the same design but better looking.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Demon's Souls is god tier. Like, it doesn't mean DS1 or any others are bad - but like, it's just perfection.

Here's a great vid on DS2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td1HJEB3aKQ

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had a friend once say Demon's Souls (the only bad part is the name - my brain always wants to say "Demon Souls") looked like a game you'd see on Law & Order and I said yeah it rules.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Demon's Souls Remake makes some weird, weird choices visually, but the thing that really bugs me is that enemies all make the same metallic sound when you hit them- soldiers, dreglings, slugs, they're all apparently made out of metal, at least based on the sound it makes you attack them.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 10, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

calling ds3 ugly for being ashy is like calling bloodborne ugly for being bloody

The one thing DS3 does that is inexplicably weird and kind of bad is how your character gradually gets covered in an ash black soot as you run through a level. Not like how in Bloodborne your outfit gets caked in blood (good.) Instead somehow it only effects your character’s skin, so if you take your helmet off after running around killing poo poo for a while you get really confused.

E- example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFNN2yK_Pw&t=674s

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 10, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've only seen a few short videos of the DeS remake but yeah the font and UI is absolute trash, it feels so wrong. Why change it? Ps5 can probably only render 2 or 3 different fonts I guess

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You get used to it - the main thing is how loving beautiful and smooth the game is.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The one thing DS3 does that is inexplicably weird and kind of bad is how your character gradually gets covered in an ash black soot as you run through a level. Not like how in Bloodborne your outfit gets caked in blood (good.) Instead somehow it only effects your character’s skin, so if you take your helmet off after running around killing poo poo for a while you get really confused.

E- example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFNN2yK_Pw&t=674s

Theoretically I think the idea is that everything's so old and dried up that their blood's basically turned into oil? Maybe? I mean, depending on the lighting it does still look more like you'd expect blood to look (i.e. red) and it might be a side effect of the game being so insanely desaturated.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The Emerald Herald is the best level up woman. Ruth Negga did the VA very well.

I only know her from DS2 and Preacher so now I want her to redo the lines as Tulip instead.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DeS has the best VA, easily. No interest eh? I can tell you're not going to last long here

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

ITS THE END OF BOLETARIA AS WE KNOW IT.

and I feel fiiiine

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

codo27 posted:

I've only seen a few short videos of the DeS remake but yeah the font and UI is absolute trash, it feels so wrong. Why change it? Ps5 can probably only render 2 or 3 different fonts I guess

I bought a PS3 just to play Demon's Souls (just before they announced the remake lol) and it's incredible how much better the remake is in basically every way.

The remake also has the best character generator (from the point of view of making a character that looks good rather than one that looks comically awful which is what I go for in all other souls games) in souls games. I went in intending to make a monster and made a badass instead

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

codo27 posted:

DeS has the best VA, easily. No interest eh? I can tell you're not going to last long here

MEDDLING SOULS. NEVER LAST FOR LONG.

https://youtu.be/xDX17IfN1fw

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I think you'll soon be able to use sony's cloud streaming thing to play on PC? Cause I ain't buying a ps5. And besides my house is too small to borrow my brother's

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Do you live in a shoebox?

I played a bit of BB via streaming and it works fine but there is a tiny delay that will gently caress with you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My house is only about 950 square feet and the PS5 requires several acres of space and 15' doorways

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

codo27 posted:

My house is only about 950 square feet and the PS5 requires several acres of space and 15' doorways

My condo is 530 square feet and I sleep inside my PS5

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its just so ridiculous how utterly massive and ugly it is compared to the similarly endowed XSX that sits neatly atop a shelf by my TV

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In person I love the design - it's a beast but still - it's loving cool and it stands out. Can't wait to see what devs can do with this in the future.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
PS5 is hueg lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

They should make a The Duke Commemorative Edition Controller

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A big bitch:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m not sure why people complain about fitting the PS5 in their entertainment center just replace your coffee table with the PS5 bing bong so simple

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I like DS2 but it’s condition is terminal due to SOUL MEMORY and then the AGAPE RING fix being things.

Otherwise it has the best fashionsouls and is, arguably, mechanically the best souls.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat this is gonna be so great!!

https://twitter.com/SkeleMann/status/1480139016712380419

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh_G4ARUSDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019