Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Man, episode 2: Dances with Banthas didn't sit well with me. I get the idea of going back to old serials but we stopped telling certain stories for a loving reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have bad news for you if you think we ever actually stopped telling those stories.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm going to tell you a secret:

The reason Boba Fett, ruthless bounty hunter, was so cool and worked as a laconic amoral murderer is because he had like four minutes of screen time. When you make a long form TV show centering them, you have to turn them into a character instead of just a cool helmet and one-liners.

Also it's kind of funny that in your kinder, gentler fett thesis you forgot the time he absolutely exploded a fleeing guy into chunky gibs with a missile.

Someone should tell the showrunners

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think it was more respectful of the fake indigenous alien monsters than most stories in that wheelhouse are of real human cultures.

:shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Someone should tell the showrunners

That's actually a pitfall of deciding to protagonize a minor character who's defining live action characterization so far is "dad died, turned badass bounty hunter with a cool hat, fell into a giant sand pussy."

They're trying. I am enjoying the world building going on around everyone and the train sequence was genuinely decent action.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 10, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Man, episode 2: Dances with Banthas didn't sit well with me. I get the idea of going back to old serials but we stopped telling certain stories for a loving reason.

I know a lot of people want to jerk their knees to "Wahhhh! White savior trope!!!!" but this isn't that.

Temuera Morrison is, in fact of Maori-indigenous descent. Second, within the Star Wars universe, Boba Fett is of Mandalorian/Clone descent, so either way he's a person coming from a group that got hosed by the White Male Empire.

So what you have in this story is how one indigenous character is helping another, different, indigenous tribe reclaim control over their ancestral land.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And that Polynesian review had the guys loving it that a Maori beat up organized crime dicks.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm really enjoying Book of Boba so far and kind of appreciate that Fett is actually a character now and demonstrates reasoning behind his decisions. It's nice. I do hope the overall pace of the series does accelerate a little, and Fennec gets a little more to do, but those are my only gripes to date.

Although the jumping back and forth between flashbacks gives me major Arrow Seasons 1 and 2 vibes. That's not a complaint, because those were the only seasons of that show I enjoyed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Everyone posted:

I know a lot of people want to jerk their knees to "Wahhhh! White savior trope!!!!" but this isn't that.

Temuera Morrison is, in fact of Maori-indigenous descent. Second, within the Star Wars universe, Boba Fett is of Mandalorian/Clone descent, so either way he's a person coming from a group that got hosed by the White Male Empire.

So what you have in this story is how one indigenous character is helping another, different, indigenous tribe reclaim control over their ancestral land.

Yeah BUT it's written/created by a bunch of white folk. That's problematic, you see. :goonsay:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I recommend people watch Once Were Warriors if they think Temuera is a white dude

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

And that Polynesian review had the guys loving it that a Maori beat up organized crime dicks.

His haka face was terrorizing, really made that scene something.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Agree with some previous posters which echoes essentially exactly what I said after ep 1 that this characterisation of Boba is boring and doesn't work for me at all. Imo this show is interesting despite Boba Fett, the flashbacks are good because of the Tuskens and learning their culture, and whilst the present stuff is less interesting theres enough there like the world building with the Hutts, the Wookie, the mayor plot etc to be intriguing.

He really feels exactly like a poor man's version of Din where he's a decent man with a good heart despite being a bounty hunter. If you're trying to do what I believe the show runners intend which is to tell a story about a character changing his ways (through his experience with the Tuskens), then having him start out as being shown to be actually a really decent guy who helps out people with no reservations, puts himself in harms way for others etc begs the question where exactly is the growth? He's going to go from a good person to an even better person?

For those saying well nothing in the OT indicated he's a bad person etc, this is a guy who worked for the most evil people in the galaxy for decades with zero reservations. Anyone who happily did jobs for the Empire (was a favorite of Vader) for years is responsible for countless innocent lives lost either at their own hands or by proxy, him being shown as a guy who actually from day one wants to help out this random group of tribesmen fight their oppressors makes zero sense. Why would someone with that sort of moral code take jobs for The Empire for so long? The Empire did the equivilent of shooting innocent Tuskens from a moving train for years. Is Bossk equally actually a really nice guy who'd save a tribe of Tuskens for zero reward? Because I'd much rather watch that show.

Personally I think they just got very lazy with this characterisation of Boba. Having him emerge from the Sarlaac as a pretty lovely person, someone with few morals who only cares about getting paid (again he's worked for the Empire for years), who is a loner who puts himself first etc etc and then having his experiences in the desert somehow change him into what we see come The Mandalorian and TBOBF would have been so much more interesting than this version where if you were to put Din Djarin in his place in these flashbacks you wouldn't know the difference.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 10, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

poo poo, I just now realized they decided to turn the Hutts into twins because that way they don't need to build two completely different CGI models, they can just build one and tweak the other.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dave Syndrome posted:

poo poo, I just now realized they decided to turn the Hutts into twins because that way they don't need to build two completely different CGI models, they can just build one and tweak the other.

I was actually pretty impressed by how different they made them look in the episode. But you’re right, I’m sure they started from the same base model and then changed some things here and there. “Give this one some extra fat rolls. Good, good. Now make one nostril on that one a little bigger. Excellent.”

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

I'll add to my previous post that his growth shouldn't be drastic, he shouldn't turn into Han Solo between the flashbacks and the present, he still becomes a crime lord, but clearly the showrunners want to portray him as a "good" guy and want us to root for him. They show him being merciful, that he for some reason differs from Jabba and every criminal on Tatooine? in that he wants to rule out of respect and not brute force and fear, that he cares about those who are oppressed and will go out of his way to help them etc. Having the flashbacks ultimately mean nothing if they're essentially saying that the Boba Fett we saw working for Vader and fall into the Sarlacc was the same person we see sitting in Jabba's throne, who helped the Mandalorian, and that he's had zero growth, because where's the sense in that? If you whitewash his canonically awful deeds sure, but otherwise if you're the writers you shouldn't just get to say "well actually Boba Fett was always a decent guy he just happened to work for the Empire for years and years with no reservations".

edit: I think the Tusken stuff would actually make more sense if that was set in the present, Boba relegated to the desert after he's perhaps learnt some morality from his time in Mos Espa, maybe he abandoned his criminal empire after he witnessed the harm that it had caused. So essentially flip the timelines. Boba Fett post ROTJ becoming a crime lord makes sense, Boba Fett post ROTJ helping out the oppressed Tuskens does not.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 10, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or he's just endlessly pragmatic.

He can't escape. He's got no supplies in a hostile environment.

He has to offer the Rodian a chance to escape, or he'll squeal (which happens anyhow) when he leaves on his own. He also has to be friendly to gain the trust of the Rodian to prevent his own betrayal should they leave together.

He has to help the kid fight the monster or he's dead too.

But, in doing all of this, he's gained the trust of a community, one that seems to not be interested in his past and does seem to be interested in his pragmatism. Now that his survival is coupled with theirs, he has an interest in seeing the spice train stopped. But, he's also latching on to the next logical step: take control of the criminal empire on Tatooine.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Why cool helmet man not just shoot everyone? :confused:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sash! posted:

He has to offer the Rodian a chance to escape, or he'll squeal (which happens anyhow) when he leaves on his own. He also has to be friendly to gain the trust of the Rodian to prevent his own betrayal should they leave together.

But, in doing all of this, he's gained the trust of a community, one that seems to not be interested in his past and does seem to be interested in his pragmatism. Now that his survival is coupled with theirs, he has an interest in seeing the spice train stopped. But, he's also latching on to the next logical step: take control of the criminal empire on Tatooine.

Right. Except he can leave now and should have been able to at any point after saving the chief's kid. Why doesn't he? gently caress if anyone knows. Certainly isn't getting bacta treatments with the Tuskens. At the very least they could've had a throwaway line about how he's wanted or being hunted to give him a reason to continue to hide with them.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Sash! posted:

I like this interpretation but if that's what they're going for I think they missed the mark. To me the way the show has portrayed him, it genuinely feels like they're trying to have the audience forget this was the guy to call for the Empire, and instead show him as an ex bounty hunter with a good heart, maybe it's the script, or Temuera Morrison but I dont see this pragmatism, or a man who is perhaps haunted by his past deeds and seeks acceptance and finds it in the tribe, I see a guy in a bad situation who's doing good things and helping others whilst making little jokes here and there and flashing his bleached white smile. I just feel he's going from A to B to C way too fast.

Jehde posted:

Why cool helmet man not just shoot everyone? :confused:

No, but the man who worked for years for fascists with zero qualms should perhaps have more grit to him. Again you shouldn't be able to put Din in his place in the episode 1/2 flashbacks and there be zero difference in how you'd write the script.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 10, 2022

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Maybe he likes them and wants to help out.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also he ain't got but a onesie to wear at the moment

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“Boba Fett isn’t gritty enough!”, I shout as I throw my funko pops at the tv

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I want to see Dr Evazan again, somehow/somewhere. I don’t think he popped up in anything since ANH, but he has his brief appearance in Rogue One and the poor decraniated servants in Solo were his handiwork too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Yeah BUT it's written/created by a bunch of white folk. That's problematic, you see. :goonsay:

Well, I'm just gonna have to be okay with that. As a white male, I'm intrinsically problematic myself.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“Boba Fett isn’t gritty enough!”, I shout as I throw my funko pops at the tv

Any sort of characterisation befitting a guy who happily worked for fascists would be nice yeah. But the lasers went pew pew so I'm sure you were happy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Just Chamber posted:

Any sort of characterisation befitting a guy who happily worked for fascists would be nice yeah. But the lasers went pew pew so I'm sure you were happy.

Lmao gently caress off, I’m not the one writing essays purity testing Boba Fett for not being amoral enough in a Disney+ series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

I want to see Dr Evazan again, somehow/somewhere. I don’t think he popped up in anything since ANH, but he has his brief appearance in Rogue One and the poor decraniated servants in Solo were his handiwork too.

The only Dr I want to see in Star Wars is Dr Mandible! (but also Aphra, please cast Chloe Bennett, disney)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Icon Of Sin posted:

He has a bit in the Aphra comics.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

teagone posted:

He has a bit in the Aphra comics.

Ohhh I had forgotten about that. Where he effectively Sawed Aphra and Triple Zero, then put bounties on them for funsies. That brings his last appearance to somewhere between ANH and ESB though.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lmao gently caress off, I’m not the one writing essays purity testing Boba Fett for not being amoral enough in a Disney+ series.

That's cute you consider a few paragraphs to be essays. But ah yes there's never any Disney+ SW characters that show shades of amoral behavior that makes them more interesting and memorable as characters. No Din, Mayfeld, Greef etc.

Clearly struck a nerve criticising the show you like.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Right. Except he can leave now and should have been able to at any point after saving the chief's kid. Why doesn't he? gently caress if anyone knows. Certainly isn't getting bacta treatments with the Tuskens. At the very least they could've had a throwaway line about how he's wanted or being hunted to give him a reason to continue to hide with them.

Just Chamber posted:

I like this interpretation but if that's what they're going for I think they missed the mark. To me the way the show has portrayed him, it genuinely feels like they're trying to have the audience forget this was the guy to call for the Empire, and instead show him as an ex bounty hunter with a good heart, maybe it's the script, or Temuera Morrison but I dont see this pragmatism, or a man who is perhaps haunted by his past deeds and seeks acceptance and finds it in the tribe, I see a guy in a bad situation who's doing good things and helping others whilst making little jokes here and there and flashing his bleached white smile. I just feel he's going from A to B to C way too fast.

No, but the man who worked for years for fascists with zero qualms should perhaps have more grit to him. Again you shouldn't be able to put Din in his place in the episode 1/2 flashbacks and there be zero difference in how you'd write the script.

On the flashbacks, Boba was stuck in the sarlacc and by the time he got out and earned enough respect among the Tuskens to have the option to leave, presumably, his entire safety net of his previous life was wiped out. Jabba is dead. The Empire is gone, for now. So who is he in this new order? Does he exist to serve, or be served? He's captive and cannot get to his ship, which I guess is stuck in Anchorhead, however far away that is. He also doesn't have his armor, which may or may not be necessary to flying Slave One (I legit don't know the answer to this). So he has poo poo to take care of in the short term, and the Tuskens have given him the means to survive until he gets his affairs in order. And if he can prop up a new ally in the process while learning some cool new poo poo, why not?

I was actually coming back here to post something similar to the "endlessly pragmatic" sentiment because that's what I picked up on in the Mandalorian Season 2. That's only been reinforced in the new series. He is still operating purely out of self-interest, and has a keen interest on developing alliances that we have seen in two series now. I would think this is because he has bigger plans and knows he can't just disintegrate everyone he doesn't like.

As to being trigger happy and having few qualms with killing, we still have five episodes to figure that out. I would argue we're still too early in the story being told to say if that's true or not. I personally think he is biding his time until he knows everyone else's role and worth, and making sure he knows the right ones to take out. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of this series is something like the scene from Godfather where Michael takes power.

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty strongly that all we've established is that Boba doesn't kill without a reason. Nobody is paying him to kill anyone right now, and he really hasn't figured out who he needs to take out to secure his position. He barely even knows how Mos Espa works at this point.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Are we all forgetting the people he murked with absolute killer fury on his face? Shooting the fleeing guy in the back with a fuckin rocket launcher before telling fennec to take them alive?

This is a guy with murderous anger issues at best. Yall gotta stop taking fictional characters at their word. We don't know the full story yet but when he acts like he's above all this, he is not.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Doronin posted:

He also doesn't have his armor, which may or may not be necessary to flying Slave One (I legit don't know the answer to this).

It’s not. He flys the ship from wherever it was before (Presumably still on Tatooine) to Tython in The Tragedy without it to get his armor back from Din.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The whole reason he was in mando was because he didn’t finish the job and was honor bound to help rescue Grogu. Why people think this show wouldn’t explore how he got there is beyond me. there has to be a root cause of that kind of shift from remorseless mercenary to principled crime lord.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

fartknocker posted:

It’s not. He flys the ship from wherever it was before (Presumably still on Tatooine) to Tython in The Tragedy without it to get his armor back from Din.

Oh! I admit, I completely forgot about that. Thank you for mentioning that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Doronin posted:

On the flashbacks, Boba was stuck in the sarlacc and by the time he got out and earned enough respect among the Tuskens to have the option to leave, presumably, his entire safety net of his previous life was wiped out. Jabba is dead. The Empire is gone, for now. So who is he in this new order? Does he exist to serve, or be served? He's captive and cannot get to his ship, which I guess is stuck in Anchorhead, however far away that is. He also doesn't have his armor, which may or may not be necessary to flying Slave One (I legit don't know the answer to this). So he has poo poo to take care of in the short term, and the Tuskens have given him the means to survive until he gets his affairs in order. And if he can prop up a new ally in the process while learning some cool new poo poo, why not?

I was actually coming back here to post something similar to the "endlessly pragmatic" sentiment because that's what I picked up on in the Mandalorian Season 2. That's only been reinforced in the new series. He is still operating purely out of self-interest, and has a keen interest on developing alliances that we have seen in two series now. I would think this is because he has bigger plans and knows he can't just disintegrate everyone he doesn't like.

As to being trigger happy and having few qualms with killing, we still have five episodes to figure that out. I would argue we're still too early in the story being told to say if that's true or not. I personally think he is biding his time until he knows everyone else's role and worth, and making sure he knows the right ones to take out. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of this series is something like the scene from Godfather where Michael takes power.

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty strongly that all we've established is that Boba doesn't kill without a reason. Nobody is paying him to kill anyone right now, and he really hasn't figured out who he needs to take out to secure his position. He barely even knows how Mos Espa works at this point.

This is all valid really. I just don't personally like this sort of pretty safe and probably less interesting way of portraying the character with the history he has. I do think they could have taken it in a different direction in terms of his character but ah well. To your point about him staying with the Tuskens because what else does he have going? Maybe a scene where Boba stole a bike and got out of there early and leaves the tribe behind, but discovers through someone that the Empire has collapsed, Jabba is dead and he has no connections BUT the Tuskens would have been nice.

I too am hoping for a big pay off with this crime lord thing. I'm thinking the tribe is wiped out by one of these crime lords, probably as revenge for the train, and as this is his only family its all one big long con to take them out.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 10, 2022

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like to image that Fett went about his heartless lackeism for Vader in full 80's action tv mode. So many wrecked vehicles where the occupants conveniently crawl out to let us know they're alright, and every explosion only causes a concussion or launches dudes into lakes.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

The whole reason he was in mando was because he didn’t finish the job and was honor bound to help rescue Grogu. Why people think this show wouldn’t explore how he got there is beyond me. there has to be a root cause of that kind of shift from remorseless mercenary to principled crime lord.

Yea that remorseless mercenary to principled honor bound crime lord journey would I think have been much more interesting if post Sarlacc he really was more or less the former but they seem to want him to really just be a principled decent guy from the jump which while not making sense to me I guess makes him a more likeable protagonist.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I too hate white savior narratives. At least they're using Maori culture as the template for the Sand People and their dances, and Temuera is a Maori trained in the haka, unlike Kevin Costner and the Lakota...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Boba’s entire personality before this show added up to maybe 6 lines total in the OT, AOTC, and a handful of clone wars episodes where he’s a literal child, so I don’t think you can really say anything we’ve seen so far in this show is out of character for him because that character barely exists.

They could come out tomorrow and say “it’s official canon that Boba only tolerated working for the Empire for the money and he’s actually always been a guy who believes in honor” and there’s nothing that would really contradict that, short of Legends bullshit.