Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jestery posted:

Was talking to a family member about how people parking in bike lanes (specifically 70 spots along a projected seperated bike lane) are just a blight

With the whole "allocating public space for the storage of a private asset restricted to the middle class"

Their response

"Ahh but those people use those vehicles to go to their jobs in the city and earn money for the economy"

Just car brain

The oddest thing, is that they have a real double think about bike lanes. They have told me many a time about being on a highway that was adjacent to some good bicycle infrastructure and the bicycle keeping pace of beating them dude to bumper to bumper traffic , and they are capable of putting two and two together with that. And they have a real soft spot for people in mobility scooters/wheelchairs. And is good friends with one person who relies on one

As soon as I told them that this new section of bike lane would allow them to get from their house located in the north, to a friend's place located in the south and never touch unprotected road, my family member instantly agrees and says it's a good idea. As if the sole arbiter of whether good bicycle infrastructure is his one friend in a mobility chair

Really really weird to see double think like that

People who go along bike lanes and slash the tires of any car parked there are also contributing to the economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

fitting that the flag is upside down to indicate distress

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Just Add Trains™

(Wembley Stadium. 90,000 capacity)

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no issues with congestion at all

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember to vote this november

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
hell yeah

https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1479853492080496643

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

hard for me to not be relentlessly cynical, but that looks…comprehensive?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i liked how all the hate mail the author got accussed them of being unmasculine and of driving a prius: balling up all my neuroses and throwing them at a stranger via email over a car review that made me uncomfortable for reasons i could not articulate

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bd_wetz/status/1479476036060520455?s=21

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I grew up in a rural area and did not have to deal with cars at any substantial rate on non snow days. We could and would play in the street or the woods without particularly fearing for our lives.

Snow days were about freedom from being bound to arbitrary and unnecessary authority all day.

Not-the-less, gently caress cars.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Getting in and out of that stadium is about as irritating as you’d expect

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Beijing subway looks good king.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Link for ridiculous size
https://www.chinadiscovery.com/assets/images/chengdu/guide/chengdu-metro-map-full.jpg

The 2nd line had just opened up when I last knew 5 years ago.

'The Plan'

Big https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Chengdu_Metro_Planning.svg

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Jan 9, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

skooma512 posted:

Getting in and out of that stadium is about as irritating as you’d expect

Wait. This is real and not a rendering? That really loving sucks!!!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The Beijing subway looks good king.

ironically that's also the chinese character for subway

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genius. now install wider paths, benches, water fountains, path lighting, bathrooms,

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nostalgia :corsair:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gently caress cars but I'm pretty sure my residual love for snow days comes from hating school

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Dear president Xi

My country, america, yearns for trains

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and a less industrial education system

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

an actual frog posted:

Just Add Trains™

(Wembley Stadium. 90,000 capacity)

our new 60,000 capacity stadium has very limited parking and on major event days, no parking at all (drop off only). there is a handy train station, bus station, ferry and foot bridge over the river to get there though!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i would like one of these, and also a chengdu j20 to liberate my city from tyranny

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

and also a chengdu j20 to liberate my city from tyranny

its like trying to walk through muck while wearing cowboy boots

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Dolphin posted:

no we're not banning private cars. if you like your car, you can keep your car. in your living room.

My father in law secured a van shell like 20 feet up in a tree as a children's tree fort. It was pretty magical for the kids tho I would imagine horribly unsafe. One of the advantages of living in rural Florida is that no one cared. Anyhow all cars should live in trees plz an thx.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Did my grocery shopping by bike today in 30°F weather. Was actually super pleasant :unsmith:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My partner is very aware of my preference to bike everywhere and is bike curious (she has her own that I keep maintained for her)

A few months ago I built a bike trailer that got significant use moving house and hauling cargo

Said bike trailer, has got me out of several sticky situations and a few that a car genuinely couldn't.

The other day she asked me to go pick up some groceries and just casually tells me I might need the trailer because it's a big order,

Got the warm fuzzies with my partner fully accepting my bike centric life

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

saw a dude drying his car with a leaf blower today lmao. madness calling me everyday

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

tbf that’s like biden’s “best year ever for the economy” caused entirely by 2020 being so bad

but now we have proof we can stop using cars so much so thats something

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ok but have you considered that going at 1/3rd the cruising speed of an airplane with zero direct emissions might make people late for business meetings?!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

now imagine that's a mirror solar farm

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, regional flights exist in China, they are just fewer in number than before because so many simply choose trains at this point.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also, regional flights exist in China, they are just fewer in number than before because so many simply choose trains at this point.

When the Rome - Milan rail link got improved service it rapidly took marketshare from the air route (I think all the companies involved were at least partially state owned but in a really hosed up manner), same for a bunch of connections in Japan. I presume the same happened when the Paris Bordeaux line got upgraded but haven't read anything about it. point is it's been repeatedly proven that people will take medium distance trains over other forms of transport as long as there is appropriate, vaguely well executed investment

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

When the Rome - Milan rail link got improved service it rapidly took marketshare from the air route (I think all the companies involved were at least partially state owned but in a really hosed up manner), same for a bunch of connections in Japan. I presume the same happened when the Paris Bordeaux line got upgraded but haven't read anything about it. point is it's been repeatedly proven that people will take medium distance trains over other forms of transport as long as there is appropriate, vaguely well executed investment

weren't the trains part of why Alitalia went out of business?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i'm not actually sure that the problem in the us is lack of appetite to invest in this sort of infrastructure, you read about projects with big price tags getting greenlit sometimes. but the ROI is so so bad that it doesn't snowball into people seeing meaningful change and demand more.

it's really important (imo) that on the left we shouldn't treat building and operating public services like these as jobs programs that happen to produce useful infrastructure. the aim should be to run efficient projects which make ordinary people's lives materially better, cutting costs should be seen as an opportunity to build even more, better things. e.g. the answer to "this job can be done with 2 instead of 4 people if we adopt practices from France" should be "great, let's start a second project at same cost" not resistance. I realise that the reality of how projects are organised and funded makes that approach almost impossible though. What would be required to change this? :ussr: sure but perhaps there's an answer that could happen in NYC or CA.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

actionjackson posted:

perhaps, but both it and it's successor were/are owned by the italian government so it's hard to think about in the same terms as a purely private company. Idk much though, perhaps the state management was very hands off!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

actionjackson posted:

alitalia was long an entirely uncompetitive firm, propped up exclusively by government grants for 'prestige' reasons, ie as a vehicle for politicians to do horse trading with good employment positions for their cronies, and other assorted graft. in a less neoliberalized world it would also have been acknowledged as a necessary guarantor of certain airline routes, esp. internal ones to italy, which are not very profitable except at certain times of the year, or completely unprofitable, but nevertheless necessary to guarantee all italian residents the right to move freely around our territory.
alitalia was a loss-making enterprise even before low-cost airlines were a thing, and it being repeatedly split off from its debts, restructured and then handed off to some well connected cronies of grafting politicians merely coincided with the development of a good high speed rail in italy, but i would dare say that the company crashing and burning was in the works for over 30 years, long before we had the first viable milan-rome 3h connection.

a large reason the company failed was due to atrocious management (nepotism) and absolutely dismal business planning, though it is also much maligned for its strong unions, their favorable employment conditions used as a cudgel to turn other workers against common solidarity for basically as long as the company was failing.

e: also high speed rail singlehandedly turned around the fortunes of our state owned rail company, completely laundering its reputation and turning it into a profit-earner. also in true neoliberal spirit ever since we got high speed rail developed and turning a profit the rest of the railway network has got gently caress all investment in it and we are slowly cutting off the rail connections for a lot of the country

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Jan 10, 2022

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

pointsofdata posted:

Traveling by train is so much more comfortable. I’d even pay a slight premium probably. Sadly Amtrak is $$$ :sad:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mortons stork posted:

alitalia was long an entirely uncompetitive firm, propped up exclusively by government grants for 'prestige' reasons, ie as a vehicle for politicians to do horse trading with good employment positions for their cronies, and other assorted graft. in a less neoliberalized world it would also have been acknowledged as a necessary guarantor of certain airline routes, esp. internal ones to italy, which are not very profitable except at certain times of the year, or completely unprofitable, but nevertheless necessary to guarantee all italian residents the right to move freely around our territory.
alitalia was a loss-making enterprise even before low-cost airlines were a thing, and it being repeatedly split off from its debts, restructured and then handed off to some well connected cronies of grafting politicians merely coincided with the development of a good high speed rail in italy, but i would dare say that the company crashing and burning was in the works for over 30 years, long before we had the first viable milan-rome 3h connection.

a large reason the company failed was due to atrocious management (nepotism) and absolutely dismal business planning, though it is also much maligned for its strong unions, their favorable employment conditions used as a cudgel to turn other workers against common solidarity for basically as long as the company was failing.

e: also high speed rail singlehandedly turned around the fortunes of our state owned rail company, completely laundering its reputation and turning it into a profit-earner. also in true neoliberal spirit ever since we got high speed rail developed and turning a profit the rest of the railway network has got gently caress all investment in it and we are slowly cutting off the rail connections for a lot of the country

I think that is both true and also, the idea you can take regular regional trains to even small country towns is pretty mind blowing to an American, who would have to probably take 6 different buses to get there is they didn’t have a car.

But yeah Alitalia died more from graft and mismanagement than anything else but high speed rail didn’t do them any favors. The real issue in Italy there is a zero percent chance of having an competent government that would actually work to address the country’s issues, not a unique issue by any means, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it is absolutely absurd that the Amtrak train from Buffalo to Rochester, NY takes longer than driving on the highway would. I should be able to get on a train and be there in 10 minutes MAX.

i know comparatively this doesn't seem like much of a complaint but for two cities this close to each other, in the same (BLUE) state, there's no reason why this doesn't exist beyond Car/Oil Companies Say No