Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AltaBrown posted:

Out of everything in this wonderfully deranged game, the one thing I'm getting hung up on is that Not-Adolf claimed genetic matching is why he used her dad's arm, when the same would be true for her mom's arm.

Well, HLA typing doesn't work like that. I'm about a 50% match for my dad but much less for my mum.

But also it's Linda3, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Okay, that makes sense, and is as much of an explanation as I need to be satisfied!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

AltaBrown posted:

Out of everything in this wonderfully deranged game, the one thing I'm getting hung up on is that Not-Adolf claimed genetic matching is why he used her dad's arm, when the same would be true for her mom's arm.

Still, this game is the gift that just keeps on giving.

It could be that her mother's arm was unusable for some reason, but yeah.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, HLA typing doesn't work like that. I'm about a 50% match for my dad but much less for my mum.

But also it's Linda3, so

I'll just add to this, that typically in real life you can usually expect to get the best HLA match between two siblings. Anything else (including the match between a child and their parents) is more or less of a crapshoot.

But, as you say, this is just a game, so it's best to simply go with it. :v:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Also, taking a complete shot in the dark here, but Emory might not completely live up to the appearance he projects, vis a vis being a consummate medical professional.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I don't understand why people are so hung up the Charlie Chaplin mustache.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

TapamN posted:

Same, Mengele only started wearing it when he was already on the run.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm still going through the earlier posts, but just wanted to thank you for doing this. It's a game I've been curious about for ages.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TapamN posted:

chaplin wasn't a very good doctor

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

True, but he was a great dictator

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'd give him a nein.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back to Scenario B. Last time, in this version of events, again "things happened" in Minago, which resulted in everyone being killed, except, by coincidence, Linda. She ended up being patched up by Dr. Emory, a genius surgeon, except he couldn't find her left arm, so he grafted on her father's left arm instead. Obviously, that is singularly unhelpful, since Linda needs her left hand to be able to activate the ark, which in her present condition will not be possible! Therefore, we need to figure out some way of undoing what happened before we'll be able to take off on our journey with the ark. In addition to that, the task in this scenario is also to collect at least 50 animal species. We've already done a few and will be making good progress on that today.

Today, also, we'll venture into the southern parts (which were previously not accessible to us) to see a bit what can be found there!

In any case, we find Ken where we left him last time...

Before we start... let's also check out that news bulletin on the wall, which I forgot to do last time!

N.K. News Bulletin

Ken Challenger has bravely accepted to be the male crew member on the ark! This is in addition to Linda Banning, who has already been accepted as the female member.

Ken is a novice ranger and a childhood friend of Linda.

Let's wish both of these young people a successful endeavour!

Ah, cool, we find out Linda's last name!

But anyway, this is just something I forgot to show last time, so now let's proceed.

Before we do anything, let's level Ken up a bit so that he can deal a bit better with the fauna of the South Area!

In order to do that, we'll take Ken down to Marblepolis again...

...where we can move those stone blocks to fight earthworms.

They provide a decent balance in the sense that they give good experience points, but also will not annihilate us, i.e. Ken stands a chance in the fight. Of course, this also has the side effect of capturing a pair of them which we need for the ark.

So, in the end, here's where Ken arrives at after a few minutes of fighting earthworms:

That's good enough for now, as we already know, over-leveling is not a good idea in this game! Also, you might recall that it's also possible to find chickens here in Marblepolis, but I leave them be, since we aren't strong enough to defeat them right now. We'll come back for that.

So at this point Ken just uses the item which summons a bird pickup and gets out of there.

While we wait to hear from Dr. Emory we're more or less free to do whatever, so I figure let's head down south. Dr. Flora mentioned that place called Rose Garden, which we could go and visit, if nothing else, then simply to buy ourselves one of those talking flowers!

Unfortunately, at the Bird Line counter, we're informed that the line to Rose Garden is not currently in service. Therefore we'll take a flight to another place in the South Area which does have service and then from there we can either walk or use the "Shoot" service to get to Rose Garden coordinates. This is a tiny bit of an issue in South Area since, while there are different places to visit, there is really only one actual town with proper facilities (specifically, it's the only place with Bird Line service!). So getting around the southern parts is a bit more difficult than what we're used to, since you can't just keep hopping back and forth on the Bird Line. You certainly CAN still use the shoot service to be dropped off anywhere on the map, but that one is not actually covered by our "Air Free Pass", unfortunately, so you still have to pay for that. Ah, well, I'm sure we'll manage!

Either way, we get to Rose Garden eventually (even if the weather is not really cooperating!).

Going in, we can see that even though at least some basic facilities do seem to exist, they aren't staffed, and therefore we can't use them.

Anyway, here we are. There is a sign in the middle, leading to a park of sorts, and a building to the right. Let's first check out the building.

There's a couple of people here, and a sign (the one Ken is standing in front of). Also what appear to be some plants exhibited in glass cases. Let's check the sign first.

A dream rose that needs no water or fertiliser and blooms beautifully all year round!

From front to back: Rose Coco, Queen Dominique and Michiko Blood.

In the unlikely case that the glass cover breaks, please run away immediately.

Uh, what do you mean, run away? From roses? Hmm. Ok, we'll let's talk to the guy in blue.

Huh, you managed to get here even though Bird Line is not operational? Anyway, it's best not to go in the garden since we've had a few people end up never coming out.

Uh, what kind of flowers do you have here, anyway?

Well, let's just talk to the scientist lady for now.

This is M.C. Alice, the talking flower! Like a mynah bird, she learns to speak and brightens the atmosphere in the house! Normally they cost 400 G, but since this is the last one, I will give it to you for 100 G.
[ I'll take it! ] / No thanks.

Obviously we're going to buy a talking flower for ourselves, I mean how could we not, right?

We will deliver it to your home in Hardia! Please make sure to take good care of it every day.

Cool we have now a talking flower! As she said, it will be put in Ken's room at his house, so we'll check that out later today. Incidentally, mynah birds are well known for their ability to learn to mimic human speech, so that at least explains that the flower is not in fact able to have a conversation but simply repeats words she's heard/been taught to say. So that makes the fact that Dr. Flora's flower says stuff like "Dr. Flora is my best friend" and so on, pretty sad when you think about it.

Anyway, we have a talking flower, so let's continue.

Ken is getting a better look at the flowers which are exhibited and then we'll proceed through that door on the right!

In this hallway, there's a woman we can speak to...

My son Kevin is there in the back... I've told him that his father is working on a long term assignment over in Flora Jam, but in actuality we're in the middle of a divorce process. But how do you tell such a thing to a young child like him?

Well, to be honest, I'm not even sure why you're telling ME this, but ok. For reference, Flora Jam is a location down here on the southern continent.

Walking through, we find another room with those dancing flowers, but there's nothing else here, so we can go through that last door.

Down in this room is the boy she was talking about.

My name is Kevin! This is my pet, she's a stag beetle! I got her from my dad, who is working in Flora Jam. He never comes to see me... but I'm not so lonely because I have my pet!

Right, well, clearly we'll have to get that stag beetle from him somehow, but I think we can put that off for now since we haven't found even any male ones yet to begin with.

In that chest, incidentally, is a "Grasshopper Mask", a piece of head armour, but it's not actually better than what we already have (the "Rhino Cap" I bought last time), so it stays in our backpack unused. Anyway, now we can head back out and...

...check out that sign.

Be mindful of the plants!

Please do not feed the flowers in this garden without permission!

I'm sorry, did I read that right? Do not FEED the flowers? What in the world. Well, only one way to find out, let's step into the park.

Nice. A bunch of flowers, with some particularly prominent roses there. Maybe if we have a look at one...

Aaa, what! Why does it want to fight me? Why does it have so much HP? You can't see it, but this rose has also incredibly high attack and defence power so Ken can barely scratch it, while it can simply one-shot him!

And if that wasn't enough, it can also...

...summon a bunch of grasshoppers for help! In fact it does summon both male and female grasshoppers, so we do need to get them, although we have a bit of a conundrum here. As you can see, the grasshoppers are very low level with tiny HP, while the rose is the exact opposite. So if we're strong enough to defeat a rose, then we will not be able to capture the grasshoppers because of over-damage. So we'll need some kind of a strategy here, but it's all moot for now, since we can't even survive long enough before we get one-shot by the rose (one possible strategy would be, for example, to capture the grasshoppers and then run away before being killed by the rose--the captured enemies still count even if you run away--but as I said, we have to be able to survive at least a couple of turns for that to work!). So we'll have to come back later for that.

In addition to that, as you walk around...

...you might get randomly attacked by some baby-roses. They at least have generally much lower HP but are still pretty tough, but also don't summon any other species for help.

Roses in fact belong to a relatively small group of creatures in this game which are NOT possible nor needed to be captured for the ark. We do want grasshoppers, though, so we'll come back for that.

Apart from that, as you walk around the garden you might see...

...these little things flying around!

They are bees! I guess one would expect to find bees in a flower garden, so that's not so unusual.

In any case, they don't have any particularly strong stats, so Ken can handle them easily together with the dogs.

It is also possible to find cockroaches here in the garden, but in the present season (autumn) only males are around. So we'll have to wait a bit and come back during a different season of the year (summer should be the best) to get that sorted out.

Ok, so that's about all we can do here right now, so let's head out and see what else is around these parts. If we head a bit north from Rose Garden...

...we get to another one of these tunnels.

Inside, it even has one of those Rent-A-Animal services for easier travel. I'm sure you can guess what these animals are, but if not, we'll definitely be capturing them soon, so you'll get to see them anyway.

The other side of the tunnel, drops us directly into a town.

So this place is called Dogy Figh and it's famous for, well, the dog fighting arena!

As far as I can tell, the weird spelling is on purpose. The official guide I mentioned I have actually shows all location names in English, and so here is a photo of the relevant page from the guide for this one:

That's not to say that there isn't at least one UNINTENTIONAL misspelling in the guide as far as English names go, but this name is so silly that I'm just going to go with it. In any case, as you can see, the name of the town comes from the fact that its main attraction is an arena for dog fights. We're here kind of at the wrong time, since the arena is only open in summer and winter, but we can explore a little bit. There's some weird stuff here.

But first of all, on that last screenshot, Ken is standing next to a sign, so let's have a look at what it says!

<-- Western Desert

Warning! Dangerous Area!

Yeah, so this southern continent has more of a warmer climate, so there's even a sandy desert in the west which we'll check out a bit later. For now, let's have a look around the town (what we can at this time of year).

Well, let's start our tour!

This lady has an interesting comment...

There's an abandoned luxury hotel by the sea, far to the west. I hear it's still quite popular... except that now all guests are crows who are nesting there!

Well, that certainly sounds interesting. Let's see if we can find where it is, although we won't exactly be exploring it today since crows can easily be found closer to where we are now.

Also, this guy.

You can never be too careful with the animals of the western desert, but in case of emergency, just run to the water. Not sure how it is elsewhere, but here in the desert you always want to be around the water. So if you want to go there, it's probably best to do in spring, when there's a lot of water.

Good advice, but we're going to ignore it for now and head to the desert later today even if it's not spring.

I guess this is the main entrance to where the dog fight arena is? We'll check that out in a moment, but first...

...let's talk to the guy who runs the equipment shop here.

Mr. Orman and the Airport director were both people in a good position in their lives. It seems unlikely that they would both commit suicide by jumping...

Hm, interesting, so the owner of this whole place, Orman, has killed himself? And also the director of the airport over in Ozport? What could it all mean? And then who is the third person who killed themselves? It seems we've got ourselves a mystery here...

Also, while we're here, I will buy from him two dog jackets, because they give us +15 to defence:

So that's pretty nice.

Next is this guy in front of the butcher shop:

This dog fighting ring is only open in summer and winter. If you come here in spring or autumn, you won't find anyone to fight with!

Well, yeah. As I mentioned, since it's currently autumn, we're not going to be able to do anything about the actual fights, but there are some other people here that will be interesting to have a chat with...

Inside the shop, we can talk to the two guys behind the counter...

This "ribbon flower" can make even the corpses dance. Everyone who practises medicine in Neo-Kenya has heard of it: the mysterious herbs that no one has ever actually seen! Anyway, there are many medicines out there that can kill you, so I would not consider it surprising that there's one which can do the opposite!

And mysteries are just piling up. I hope nobody forgot about stuff mentioned previously, such as the phantom animal which appears only during a blizzard, and many other things which have been mentioned over time. Right now we don't have time for that, but later for sure.

The other guy:

The first thing to do with unknown meat is to feed it to the dogs... that way you can find out if it's ok to eat or not!

Next is the animal trader, who operates from this same shack:

Some of the animals on this planet are the stuff of nightmares... the only ones looking somehow normal are the dogs. But that's because they were brought here by the humans and released into the wild.

Well, there you go. Now you know why dogs in particular actually look more or less the same as "earth" dogs. Because they are!

In addition it turns out that this guy sells both male and female dogs, so I buy a pair so I wouldn't have to bother hunting them. Although they can be found easily in close vicinity of the ark, but since he sells both genders, I just take an easy shortcut here.

All right, let's keep moving.

Next, we'll go here in the building which houses the hotel (and other things).

First, let's check out the bank.

You can buy a hunting dog with money, but to get a human friend is a little more difficult...

Since we have more than enough money for the time being, I decide to also repay the loan so that we don't have to think about that any more. Even though, as mentioned, you can get a loan up to the amount of your yearly salary at any point in time, usually it's only really useful at the start of the game since later on you can earn enough money to survive from simply selling extra animals.

Next we'll talk to the hotel guy, who is right next to the bank counter.

This hotel and the dog fighting ring belong to Mr. Orman, who jumped from the church a few days ago... But I don't think it was really a suicide. There are rumours that there was some kind of foul play going on behind the scenes...

Going around to where the rooms are...

...there is this guy too.

I just got 300 G "pocket money" from that lady Pomerania, if you see what I'm saying... I mean, she's not bad looking, you should try it on with her too!

I'm sorry, what even are you talking about? Well, it will become clearer as we explore here a bit more, but for now just remember the name of that person he mentions.

The lady sitting up in the room only talks again about the chemical incident in the West Area, so we can just skip talking to her and move on...

...and take this staircase down.

Down here is a bunch of stuff...

...and even the actual fighting arena, but as mentioned, since it's autumn, there is nobody around and everything is closed. We'll have to come back here another time to see what's going on on the dog fighting front.

There is, however...

...this staircase leading further downstairs which we will take. By the way, the fridge over there contains some "dog meat" if you want to pick that up.

This is the actual residential quarters of the Orman family, the owners of this whole thing. Seems there are actually people here, so let's see.

First this guy here (please try to ignore the naked lady on the bed there, we'll talk to her in a moment).

Who dares to come into the rooms of Mr. Beagley with their dirty shoes like that! I'm going to beat you up!

What is his problem, anyway? Also, why is everyone named after different kinds of dogs? Well, let's just keep exploring for now. Next we will talk to the naked lady, but... what do you say to a naked lady, anyway? All right, here goes.

Beagley is the perfect man for me... rich and from a good family. Also, he... doesn't usually last very long here.

I'm going to not think too much about this. If we check out the, for once unlocked, chest, we find one of those items which increase our stats in battle, the medication called "Binbin A". As explained before, when we received some of this from Panheim, "binbin" is among other things a slang word for "erection" in Japanese, so, uh... I guess that sheds a bit more light on the lady's comment just now.

All right, really, let's go somewhere, anywhere, else!

Over here is another person who seems dressed like a nurse...

The only people who are happy about Mr. Orman's death are his three good-for-nothing children! Next thing you know, there's going to be a bloody inheritance fight between them. Someone's going to end up dead, I'm sure.

Uh, did Ken... well, did Ken actually just stumble into some kind of murder mystery?

There are actually more people here than that, but there is some benefit in leaving talking to them for just a bit later, so that's what we'll do. For now...

...we'll just talk to this woman here.

Oh! You're quite a handsome fellow! I'm Pomerania, the lady of the house! Please come and pay me a visit some time... alone, of course! 🎔

Ah. I guess both Beagley and Pomerania are two of Orman's children, and apparently he liked dogs so much that he even named his childer after different kinds of dogs. Well, sure. Also, when we remember what that other guy said about Pomerania, I think it's pretty clear what she's implying here.

By the way, that chest over there, which I've already opened, contains another performance enhancing drug, this one called "Night DX".

I think I've had enough of this place for now, so let's find our way out.

To make things interesting, we'll go one floor up and then take this big central staircase...

...which takes us right back here in front of the main entrance. So that whole underground part is actually connected together.

In order to clean the palate a little bit after all of this, let's proceed outside...

...and we'll have a look around to see what kinds of animal species can be found in this part of the world!

The south is definitely nice with lots of palm trees around. I also do spy an as-yet not encountered animal! Let's have a look!

Cool, it's a buch of sea slugs!

Other than slightly higher HP than expected, they aren't too bad actually since they don't hit particularly hard.

A little bit later, though...

...there's a bird flying rapidly towards Ken! Well, we've seen that before, so it can only be...

...the eagles! Well, good to know they can also be found down here, so I can finally craft that eagle sword that I wanted do make since a long time! Not today though, but I WILL take care of it next time! Alongside the swallow cutter, it's the only one other weapon which hits all enemies in front of you at once! For this, we will need to capture ten male eagles, of course.

All right, let's keep looking!

Hey, what's that?

I think they look amazing, honestly, even if not too weird (well other than the... eye). Of course, this is a pair of leopards, which I'm sure you've already guessed.

As the information says, anything else they may have is kind of diminished because of their extremely low HP.

Incidentally, leopards used to look a bit different in the PC Engine version:

I think I kind of prefer the redesigned version because it made them look a bit more obviously leopards, while still retaining some weirdness.

But, anyway, as we keep exploring around here, I run also into some boars, but they're only males, so I guess it's probably not the right season for female. We'll check that out again later, but in the meantime...

...here in the more wet area, we find...

...some hippos, which we already know from the last time.

At this point, I decide to go to the other side of that tunnel, to check out the western side, and in particular that desert that everybody's been mentioning!

Hm, yeah, that definitely looks like a desert! That bird is definitely not an eagle, though!

Some pretty darn awesome looking crows! Obviously, in real life, an eagle would definitely be easily bigger in size than a typical crow, but not here!

Very slightly different, but not any less cool look from the PC Engine version:

Another animal that you can find in the desert...

...is definitely something you would exactly expect to find here!

Camels, obviously. Even if only two-legged ones!

A surprising number of different abilities, even some potentially dangerous status effects! But, the HP is still not too high, so we manage. In any case, Ken can always transform into an eagle to boost his attack power, if needed. Dolphin would be nicer, but we don't have that at the moment!

Also, check out what they used to look like in the PC Engine version:

This picture cannot be explained.

I must say, I find it interesting how a lot of the more "out there" designs where "normalised" when the remake was done. It seems remake more often leans into making the animals designs looking a bit towards the funny side, rather than the more grotesque side, as it was in the original, and some of the more weird designs were definitely toned down.

But, ok, there is actually more species that we can find around here, and we will, but for now...

...I just capture some horses.

On our travels around the southwestern parts, we also come across this...

I suppose this must be the abandoned hotel that is now overrun by crows which everybody was talking about! Let's add it to the list of things to check out at a later date.

I figure now might be a good time to go and hand in all these animals we've been carrying around for a while!

And then, just as we exit Hardia to go into the ark...

...it's suddenly winter 1991!

In addition to that, I remember that we can just make a short walk over to the Nebul Road cave and get a couple more species there!

So, I do just that!

Inside...

...first we find some more of those entrails.

And then, after some more exploring around...

...Ken gets attacked!

It's a pair of crocodiles! I ran into them before, but this time we're lucky to also encounter a female because they are quite rare. I mean, it wouldn't have been a huge issue since I already bought one just in case, but it's nicer to actually find them like this!

Oddly, except for a slightly stronger attack, they don't even have any real special abilities!

And now, for real...

...let's hand in what we haven't so far and see where we stand!

Checking in with the robot...

...show us that we're currently at 23 species out of 50. So we're making progress, but there's definitely still some work to do!

In any case, as we're finishing here...

...Ken gets a message notification. Hopefully it's from Emory, telling us that Linda has recovered (well, according to him, obviously, as for us, we'll still need to figure out what happened to her arm!).

We'll go there soon, but first...

...let's head over to Minago. It was mentioned that rangers are there dealing with the aftermath of the incident, so we'll check that out quickly!

Here we go. There is already a ranger standing here that we can talk to!

Somehow we managed to take care of all the dead bodies here, but oh it was awful. Apart from you and Linda, all 26 people who were here that night were killed. Not a single body... was left unmutilated. If you had put them into a cage with a hungry lion, it wouldn't have looked this bad at the end.

Yeah, I mean, a lion doesn't have laser beams. Well, maybe those here on Neo-Keyna do? Actually, when I think about it, all "special abilities" of animals that we've encountered so far were more "organic" in nature, so on second though I don't think they do have lasers.

Then we have this guy here...

When we examined the situation here, we found that it took them less than 10 minutes to kill everybody in town. I only know of a few people on this planed who could accomplish such a thing. The mayor who is kept in the special observation cell in Hospico... Gomez and his crew over in Paraside... The Orman brothers from Dogy Figh... Linda's old man Hume, himself... but of course he's also dead, and couldn't have done this.

There are way too many mysteries on this planet!

Inside the church...

Orman from Dogy Figh and Pizar, the airport commander in Ozport... apart from the fact that they both jumped from the church, their standing in society is the only other thing they had in common.

Hm, we're finding out more about the three suicide cases...

Then we have another ranger up on the belltower balcony...

The mass murders are now the centre of attention... but it shouldn't distract from thinking about the church suicides. When I think about it, those are very suspicious too. I was a bit curious and found out that the first woman who killed herself here, was taken to Hospico, but nobody knows what happened after that. It seems pretty common that dead bodies would disappear from Hospico...

Next...

...we'll proceed over into Linda's house.

Yes... that looks pretty grim.

But if we head up to Linda's room....

...there is also a ranger here that we can talk to.

Ken... this is horrible. How are you doing? How is Linda? I have no idea how she managed to survive this. It looked like she was drowning in a sea of blood...

Uhh... Ok, let's get out of here. I mentioned that I wanted to check if we'll be able to hear more of the story from the animal expert...

... but the answer is no. He's also perished in the massacre and his house is now empty. Oh well, maybe in the next scenario! Obviously same thing with Dr. Oid, the ethnologist who was sure to uncover the secrets of Minago.

Ok, now let's head back to Hardia quickly, because we haven't really had a chat with Ben or with Ken's mother recently.

First, Ken goes to talk to his mum...

I know it's difficult for you, but you must not forget that Linda has it much worse!

The talking flower, as promised, has been delivered to Ken's room. As mentioned, it's kind of like a mynah bird in the sense that it repeats the things it hears. So let's talk to it and find out what it's heard recently, shall we?

"Ah, no, not now... N-no... Ken is about to return soon!"
"Don't worry, I've already checked his location based on his transmitter before coming over!"
"Ahahaha, as always, you have a trick up your sleeve!"

Ahahaha, looks like Ken's mum and the commander are definitely getting it on!

But, speaking of Ben, let's pay him a quick visit!

You need Linda's left hand and your right hand in order to be able to start the ark... So even if you collect the animals, you won't be able to do anything with the ark. It makes me sick...
And then... why is it that she ended up exactly with her left arm missing? I may be off base here... but I have a feeling that Linda's left arm is still to be found somewhere... and in good condition, too.

Yeah, I mean, clearly, it's not just randomly missing. But we'll see.

In any case, it's time to finally go and check out that message which is waiting for us.

The message is from Emory.

It's Emory, Linda's doctor! As far as her physical condition is concerned, Linda is doing well! I can definitely assure you of that! She is free to leave the hospital at any time, so please come and pick her up as soon as possible! Maybe bring her some flowers, they will probably more effective than my medication! Anyway, see you soon.

Well, all right! In that case, I think it's time to make a trip to Hospico and say hei... uh, I mean, hi to Dr. Emory!

Over in Hospico, in front of Dr. Emory's house, there is somebody tending to the flowers... I guess it must be his daugther Sachiko whom we've heard about.

[ Yeah, they are... ] / Not as pretty as you!
If you use the growth stimulant developed by my father, they will bloom within three days of planting!

Er, we should head inside. We need to get Linda.

Oh, what now.

As soon as I told her you're coming over to pick her up... Linda ran away! I thought it would make her happy! I was careless! I'm really sorry!
Please believe me, I only tried to do the best I can! But it always seems to backfire... I don't know what to do.
Isn't there something I can do for you?
You're going to go and look for her straight away, right? Then let me help you! Sachiko, come in here!

And we're treated to one of those full length pictures of a character that the game sometimes throws at us.

This is my daughter Sachiko! Please take her with you as help!
[ I will accept your help! ] / Thank you for the offer, but...

It's definitely a "but thou must" situation here.

I have given her all the necessary training. She will definitely not be a burden to you. Sachiko! Please listen always to anything Ken says and make sure he is happy with you! Do you understand?
Yes, father.
I'm sure she must have been quite shocked... and didn't want you to see her with her left arm like that. Poor thing... it's all my fault... I'm really sorry!

And, just like that... Sachiko is now in our party! Bet nobody expected that to happen! Here is the picture from the party menu:

Like with Hume, she doesn't level up and you can't change her equipment.

Before we leave, we can talk to Emory a bit more...

Yes, father.

Well, that was creepy. But don't worry, because it's going to get much worse.

Outside...

...so I'll probably ask you some strange questions here and there. Please don't mind me, and I would be very happy if you could just answer me some questions. About this planet... and about you... 🎔

Ok, well, there's just one problem. We have no idea where to even start looking for Linda. So maybe it's not a bad course of action to go and report to Ben and see what he says. He seems to be a resourceful fellow so far, doesn't he?

Interestingly, if we go to Ken's house in Hardia, we find it locked this time! Huh.

But we can definitely sit on the swing with Sachiko!

But... But...

Ugh, just say it.

But she doesn't. So normally, you would just get up and leave. However, if you sit down again.

But... But... Would you like me to show you my underwear?
Yes. / [ No. ]
An interesting answer. Let me make a note of it.

Ken Challenger, Ranger Lv. 15
Hardia, Winter, 1st Year.
--End Of Record.

Luckily, before we can think too much about what just happened (don't worry, it's going to get worse)...

...we get a message notification!

Ok, next let's go and talk to Ben and then we'll check out the message.

I mean, of course we'll be looking for the killer, but we don't have resources to look for runaways. That's why this case is handled by aide Kammer's subordinates. They are all professionals in their field and I'm sure they'll be able to locate Linda soon. I will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Ah, so in other words, I should go and collect some animals until you page me? Sure thing boss.

Ok, let's go and listen to that message.

The message is from Linda.

Ken...
Ken...
Please don't worry about me...
I'll be fine on my own...
So please don't look for me...
Farewell, Ken.
I love you...

Yeah, no. We're going looking for Linda. But next time!

So, I hope everybody's happy! Sachiko is getting a lot more "screen time" in this scenario! I mean, everything around her is creepy to the max, but maybe we'll finally find out what's her deal?

By the way, on an unrelated note, the voice acting in this game is really fantastic (all dialogue lines for characters which have portraits are fully voiced!) and in particular, Linda's voice actress Minami Takayama is quite a delight.-that last message from Linda, truly breaks your heart when you hear it voiced. But the quality of the performance really shouldn't be a big surprise, because she's had quite a number of very high profile roles in anime over the years, for example the voice of Conan in Detective Conan (even still in 2021) and also, of all things, the voice of the player character in Danganronpa 2! Among many many others.

All right, well, until next time then!

So, first of all, here is a picture of those weird things that killed Linda's parents last time:

And then... Did you know that Dr. Emory in the original PC Engine version did NOT in fact look like a certain historical figure. He simply looked like your garden variety mad scientist:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Adding the Hitler stache was an... "interesting" stylistic choice.

(also I can't stop laughing at the dogfight town being named Dogy Figh)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sachiko just came to this planet? Weird.

Oh, Ken's biological father got a mention. Given his rather inglorious appearance in scenario 1 I'm a bit surprised he's such a dangerous person. Well, go figure.

Those PC Engine camels...are something.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game, I swear.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

1) Every single image of Sachiko seems to convey an entirely different personality: Her dialogue portrait looks dead inside, the full screen art of her makes her look like a normal person who is uncomfortable in the costume they're wearing, and her status menu portrait makes her look smug and haughty. ("Dead inside" seems to be her actual personality)

2) This is gonna be the weirdest episode of Murder, She Wrote ever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... does answering "Yes" to Sachiko's question actually change anything, or is it just a "joke" moment where she acted shy about asking the question, just to reveal she was just doing it to analyze Ken?

TurnipFritter posted:

1) Every single image of Sachiko seems to convey an entirely different personality: Her dialogue portrait looks dead inside, the full screen art of her makes her look like a normal person who is uncomfortable in the costume they're wearing, and her status menu portrait makes her look smug and haughty. ("Dead inside" seems to be her actual personality)

2) This is gonna be the weirdest episode of Murder, She Wrote ever.

Her dialogue portrait looks less "dead inside" and more One Punch Man "OK face" to me. Not necessarily emotionally dead, just extremely bored.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Why bug assassin got a tiddy?

This game is the head trip that just keeps on giving.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Mutated/armoured from humans/Beastians, or some such, I presume.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Ah, another very usual and normal update of the very ordinary Linda ^ 3. I was wondering what they were planning on doing with Sachiko, so I guess now I'll get my answer!

One can only wonder how this completely mundane JRPG didn't get localized.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

AltaBrown posted:

Why do the camels have tiddies and ballsacks for humps, life finds a way/Neo Kenya is a land of contrasts/etc

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I want to echo some earlier comments about how the way you're presenting this game sometimes makes me forget it's not actually localized. You're really doing an amazing job. And I can't get enough of all the weird twists this game's story and themes take.

I'm guessing this is supposed to say South Area?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

So... does answering "Yes" to Sachiko's question actually change anything, or is it just a "joke" moment where she acted shy about asking the question, just to reveal she was just doing it to analyze Ken?

Her dialogue portrait looks less "dead inside" and more One Punch Man "OK face" to me. Not necessarily emotionally dead, just extremely bored.

Answering yes or no here makes absolutely no difference in the game. She just does the same thing no matter what you say.

About the dialogue portraits, what we saw here was just one possible expression (admittedly the one she's in most of the time), but there are actually others, such as this:

Geemer posted:

I'm guessing this is supposed to say South Area?

Yes it is, looks like I somehow fatfingered that one. I will fix it, thanks. I do try to proofread, but with the amount of text here, some typos will inevitably sneak through--feel free to point out the more egregious ones, so I can fix them though. :v:

Once again, thanks everybody and I'm glad people are enjoying this crazy and fun game. But as for why there never was a localised version, apart from everything else, as was already pointed out, I think also that this game contains too much stuff in it that Sony EU/USA of the 1990s would not have been able to swallow.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

quote:

All right, really, let's go somewhere, anywhere, else!

here's the problem, it seems that no matter where you go things are still insane :v:

this game continues to impress, though maybe not always in the way they intended

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe when Ken's Bloody Roar powers improve he too can become a laser-shooting ant lady

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
A dream I think we all share.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Here we go! Last time, Ken visited the Rose Garden and bought himself a talking flower. Also, he got a message from Emory that Linda is ready to be discharged. Upon getting there, it turned out that Linda had run away, presumably not wanting Ken to see her with her "new arm". This was confirmed later, in a message from her. Oh, and also we paid a visit to a place called Dogy Figh, which seems to contain many weird people, and it seems also that we may have stumbled ourselves into a murder mystery of sorts?

Last time also, the commander mentioned that aide Kammer's people will be helping to look for Linda, and Kammer himself suggested that we should go and see him at Ozport hotel, so why don't we start by doing just that!

Over in Ozport, we'll head straight to the hotel!

Here we are, in his room!

If we don't figure this out, both of our futures are looking pretty gloomy...
But, not to worry! I'm already on it! I'm gathering information here, and I'm sure we'll be hearing from the Federation HQ soon, too. As soon as that happens, I will get in touch!
Until then, be patient, Ken! 🎔

All righty then, I guess we really just have to wait for now.

Things being what they are, let's then head back south for some more hunting!

First of all, last time I was complaining that I couldn't find any female boars and I figured it might be worth to try later in a different season. And indeed...

...I do find a whole bunch of boars!

Despite appearances, they are actually pretty weak, so Ken encounters no problems here at all.

I also decide to explore a bit more to the west where the desert is...

...and I run into some new critters, but honestly I don't think there's any doubt what they are!

It's definitely armadillos, but I don't think anybody will be surprised by that!

They, too, pose no real threat, due to their very low speed--so we get a lot more turns than they do.

After this, Ken and Sachiko make camp, in order to replenish HP/BP. It turns out to be one of those situation where you actually get a conversation during a camp!

Ken... I have a question for you, if that's ok?
[ You can ask me anything. ] / Let me sleep!
If the person you loved asked you do die with them, would you do int?
Yes. / No.
Then, if the person you loved asked you to kill someone, would you do it?
Yes. / No.
Would you also do it if the person you loved asked you to kill themselves?
Yes. / No.
Would any ordinary person normally give these same answers?
Yes. / No.
I see... That brings me the peace of mind, then.

I'm starting to worry about getting killed in my sleep. Also, I didn't highlight the answers above because they don't cause any difference in the conversation.

And so, since we have some time now, I head down south again to this lake thing:

We can find here a lot of eagles. It's finally time to upgrade our weapon!

After a short time, I manage to capture 10 male eagles, which is enough to craft the weapon. So we make camp again where I set Ken to do it:

The weapon is called "eagle sabre" and brings up our attack power by 18. It also, as I keep repeating, attacks all enemies in front of us, so it will serve us for a long time.

Ken equips it, bringing his attack power to 223. I might make another of these once we get Linda back into our party, but she'll have the swallow cutter to use until then.

In all that going back and forth, it suddenly becomes Spring 1992. Soon enough...

...we also finally receive a notification that there is a new message! So we head directly to Dogy Figh to see what it is.

The message is from Ben!

It's me! I've just been informed that a woman looking just like Linda has been spotted in the hotel in Dogy Figh! It's not been confirmed at this point, but I thought you'd want to hurry over there and check it out! Dogy Figh is in the south, you can catch a flight from Ozport. What the hell is she even doing there, aynway? Well, I'm sure we'll find out... hopefully you will locate her there. That is all!

So there's good news and bad news. We are already at Dogy Figh, that's the good news. But the bad news is it's spring, so it's going to be all empty again. So I decide to just wait it out until it becomes summer, so we can also make a bit of a tour of the whole arena part. I guess I could have gone hunting instead, but it's only been one year so we really aren't pressed for time at all. And we'll do some more hunting after this tour anyway.

So, bottom line...

...it's now Summer 1992. And this illustrates again the disparity where the despite the passage of time, the actual plot is not at all affected by it--nothing will have advanced, despite the whole season passing. This is mostly not a game of "you have to be in the right place at the right time", although as plot advances you might miss some optional dialogue if you don't seek it out before the next plot motion.

I'm feeling a bit generous today. It's been a long time since we talked to any of the left luggage people. So let's have a chat today!

There are leopards to the east of the town, and crocodiles and wild boars around the lake. Crows, centipedes, armadillos and camels in the western desert... They are all not to be trifled with, so please bring at least two hunters and two hounds of level 17 or above. You should definitely stay away from the desert if you're bringing anybody whom you'd be sad to lose!

Well, we mostly did all this, except I guess we didn't run into any centipedes. We'll have to see about that later.

So let's head straight to the hotel.

Inside, we can talk to this ranger...

Linda seems to have gone on a rampage, like a mad dog... Would you really still marry her after seeing her like this?
[ Of course. ] / I guess I'll probably reconsider.
I see... Then I'd advise you to first make sure you're in good shape physically...

Here in this room, there are two people. First, the person (ranger) on the sofa...

It seems Linda was talking to the members of Mr. Orman's family. Apparently she thinks that Mr. Orman who committed suicide in Minago church is somehow connected to the massacre. Maybe you can find out where she is if you also talk to them.

Yeah, we've definitely stumbled into some kind of murder mystery here. Now we even have to talk to suspects! But first, the person on the bed, with a broken arm!

I can't believe that Linda! She breaks my arm and then just says "sorry"! She once broke my arm when we were kids and now again! I can't believe I've had my arm broken by the same woman twice!

We can also talk to the guy in the white shirt standing outside in the hallway:

Miss Linda is truly some kind of a force. She sent two huge guys flying 3 metres into the air with just one arm! They were squealing in panic!

She's nothing if not determined! But then, she's always been, so...

We'll now head downstairs, to where the arena is.

Except now, it's not actually empty here! So let's start with the lady sitting here by the dog pictures.

If you go one floor down, it's th residence of Mr. Orman, the owner of the dog fighting ring. Mr. Orman himself is dead, but he has three children and a beautiful lawyer. There is also a nurse and some dogs living there.

Let's actually do that first, and then we'll come back and check out the arena. We've already been downstairs, but we'll se what's changed since then.

First this guy, Beagley, one of Orman's children. I remember him being not very nice last time!

What the hell! Why is that Linda woman asking me over and over again about my dad. I am Beagley and and I have no time to keep telling the same story... unless this young lady here wants to be nice to me and ask...
[ Sure. ] / You've got to be kidding me!

If you don't like this guy, then let Sachiko ask him. Because, this is what happens:

She punches him! And this joker has a bit more to say...

Ouch, it hurts. That's some kind of a punch... she's just the same as that Linda woman. Why are all women so quick to start hitting people nowadays? You know, let's be cool, you and I. I don't know the details, but I think my father has been doing some kind of secret work for the Federation... That's all I know, so... please don't hit me any more, ok?

Well, good. At least we found something out.

Then, as we leave his room...

Good. / [ Bad. ]
Oh, I see! I learn so much when you explain me things! Thank you!

Then, let's continue by talking to this guy here in the room on the other side...

I am Orman's second child, Shepherd. DId you want to talk to me about my father?
[ Yeah. ] / Not really...
In the end, it was murder, right? My father was a person with many enemies... So, do you have any idea who could have been the murderer?
Sort of... / [ Not at all. ] / I can't say.
Did you check out the alibis of my brother Beagley and sister Pomerania? It might lead you to the killer pretty quickly... Also, when you do catch the killer, can you please say "thanks" to them for me?

Seems like one big happy family...

As we leave the room...

[ Good. ] / Bad.
I admire you for being able to distinguish between good people and bad people so quickly! 🎔

Next, we stop to talk to the nurse here...

The people who are the happiest about Mr. Orman's death are his three good for nothing children. Next thing you know, there's going to be a bloody inheritance war. Someone's going to die, I'm sure of it.

Unless Ken and/or Linda manage to solve the case first! Ken and Linda, amateur detectives, to the rescue!

Next, we'll stop by to talk with Pomerania, Orman's third child.

You wanted to talk about my father? He committed suicide, right? Do you think that will be enough, or would it be possible to get more insurance money if it's a different cause of death?
[ He did. ] / I don't know...
It seems he got a phone call from a woman the night before he died. He seemed quite flustered. But then again, it wasn't unusual for him to get tired of one woman and switch to another, so...

As we leave the room...

Good. / [ Bad. ]
I knew it! That's what I thought! People with thick lips are good people and thos with thin lips are bad, right?
Probably... / [ I'm not sure that's right... ]
It seems being good or bad is hereditary... But then, I'm not sure what happens if somebody has a thick upper lip and thin lower lip. This is hard...

Next, we'll talk to this lady here...

Hello! I'm Natasha, the lawyer of Mr. Orman, the owner of this club! Nice to meet you.
Actually, I've been thinking... his three children are all good for nothings who just know how to spend the money. So I wonder if perhaps he hadn't killed himself simply out of heartache. It's quite troubling...

As we leave the room...

[ Good. ] / Bad.
Is there no middle ground?

Talking to Sachiko is fun, right?

But anyway, that's all we can do down here for now....

...so let's head back upstairs and explore the whole dog fighting situation now that there are actually people here!

On the upper floor, we can start talking to this gentleman here...

Mr. Orman had three wives during his life... all three of whom gave birth to useless children and then foisted them on him and left him. The three wives, Louise, Carole and Kate... he loved them dearly--they were only second to his dogs, and to nobody else!

Next, we head towards the bar, where we can talk to the waitress in the usual bunny attire.

Mr. Shepherd, Mr. Orman's second son, is quite a passionate gambler... I once got myself completely "ripped off" by playing a game of poker with him! And what happened after was... he he...

And then the other waitress (the one standing all the way on the left)...

Sometimes weird people come here. They bring their dolphins and want them to compete in a dog fight! They say, well they are my hounds so they should be able to compete! I've learned to recognise them easily!

This alludes to the fact that you can have other animals in your party in the place of dogs, such as dolphins, eagles, and a couple of others. Let's also talk to the guy in white sitting there on a chair.

There must be something with this guy Shepherd's cards... or he wouldn't be able to win like that. There's only one man who's ever won a game against him. I think his name was Van... or Ben... something like that.

Hmm... Ben, you say? I think I know somebody with that name.

Next, there's a bunch of people here by the arena, so let's go in order. We start with the guy in blue, on the left.

If the dog is ranked in the top three, the owner will start to receive a seasonal salary. In addition, you get to use the kanji to name your dog and can say goodbye to the your old and uncool katakana-only name!

Haha, this is funny. So we can rank in the first three and that unlocks the ability to use kanji in dog's names.

Incidentally, in the original Japanese, the conversations here which are related to dog fighting mostly tend to use sumo-wrestling terminology, e.g. when talking about ranks and stuff. So this talk about names also frames this in the concept of "name succession" where a sumo wrestler might inherit the "ring name" ("shikona") of a previous famous wrestlers and such.

Let's talk to the next guy.

Even if your dog gets knocked out, it will still help you to learn to be a better hunter. It's all part of the practice.

Next.

When your dog is in a fight here, all you can do is cheer them on! If you see that your hound is about to lose, push the X button to throw in the towel and save the day!

(Note: an actual thing you can do during a dog fight!)

Finally the guy in white, on the right side:

Be careful with Natasha, Mr. Orman's lawyer. I've heard she's even more of a maneater than Pomerania. Pomerania is apparently like a little girl compared to her! She's cute, though.

Next, we can talk to this guy at the counter. Here's where we can register to participate in a tournament. He also explains us the rules:

In short, it's a fight between dogs! Each time you win the monetary award will keep rising. If your dog is knocked out, or you throw in the towel, you lose. If the dog loses, all the winnings are forfeit, so it's up to you to decide when to stop. The participation fee is 50 G and you're not going to win anything by just standing around and watching!

So basically, you can keep going with stronger and stronger opponents until you either defeat everybody, lose, or choose to cash in in between two fights. We'll check that out in a moment.

Meanwhile...

...there's this gentleman here whom we can talk to.

The main thing is to enter the dog fighting ring being aware of what is your dog's strength. The problem is, the more you keep winning, the more you lose sight of that and the more you are likely to make a mistake. Poor dogs.

We can also talk to the woman in a blue dress...

Before he opened the dog fight arena, Mr. Orman was a commander at the Federation HQ. He was a disagreeable and quite singleminded fellow. Well, at least that's my opinion.

And then, there's this weirdly dressed guy here. Let's see.

Sit down, shut up and listen and you'll win! For 11G I will tell you your hound's fortune. If you know your dog's strengths and weaknesses, you'll be able to use daring tactics and avoid disaster before it even happens!

Well sure, I'll pay 11 G, let's see.

You can choose which dog you want to have the fortune told. We have two dogs, one named Tsuki (=moon) which we got from the little girl, and the other, Aki (=autumn) which I bought myself. So let's see what he has to say about Tsuki.

Tsuki... that's not a bad name. Now, let's see it's fortune. Sirius the dog god star! Show me the fortunes of Tsuki! Guide me to the path of light!
I see it now! The more Tsuki grows, the more her strength and her attack power increase! And, the word "daring and resolute" is the right one for this dog. She is a strong ally who will take any opponent without fear!

Uh... even at only 11G that doesn't seem worth the money. Although it gives us an idea about what stats a particular dog might be good at--not that you can't actualy see that yourself simply by comparing their stats!

We are definitely not strong enough to win the whole tournament here, but we can give it a try anyway. It looks like this:

So it's literally your dog against another. As always, you don't really have control over what the dog does, so all you can do is watch (or press X to stop the fight if you're losing). We can definitely win the first few rounds, but then it starts to get difficult and we pretty much hit a brick wall. So we'll have to try this later when our dog(s) are stronger. One warning though: if your dog gets its HP reduced to zero here, it counts for real and you will have to take it to a doctor to get it revived. Luckily there is a doctor here just a few steps away, so it's only a monetary issue.

And that concludes our business in Dogy Figh for now. Clearly if Linda was here at some point, she no longer is, so we'll have to go find another clue as to her current location.

Just as we're about to leave, we get our next message notification!

Let's check it out. It's from Ben, again.

Ken! She's in Ozport now! Linda has apparently been talking to the staff members at the airport! Just get over there and find her! We don't want any more people to get hurt! Well anyway, I wish you luck. That is all.

I guess we could head to Ozport. Or... we can go and so some more hunting first! A hunter must hunt, after all.

Well, anyway, being that it is now summer, the first thing to do is go back to Rose Garden and check out if we can now find cockroaches of both sexes there now.

Ah-ha! There they are! Let's see...

Oh, yeah. As expected, we definitely can!

Don't they look ridiculous by the way? Their design was much weirder in the PC Engine version, though:

But as for the abilities, the only real problem is their chance to reduce your attack power. Other than that, they are a little tougher on attack/defence than what you might expect, but overall it should be possible with no huge problems. Just try not to run into any roses, because... they are quite deadly, as we already know!

To continue, I head to this cave here which can be entered from a shallow lake (ignore the eagle).

This place is called "Dark River" and is mostly a large underground river, but there are some drier parts. There are a couple of species which cannot be found anywhere else but here (and also a few items), so let's get started. As always, we're not at present going to explore every part of the cave.

First of all...

...you can find dolphins here, so I guess I didn't need to buy one that time.

And then...

...here we have a large group of animals from a new species!

You can probably tell anyway, but these are definitely some shrimp!

Lots of different abilities, but so weak that they are unlikely to be able to use. Especially that one which destroys your equipment potentially! They also have an annoying tendency to run away.

Oh, hey...

...it's turtles! But we are already familiar with them.

We proceed to wander around the cave...

...which does also contain a few chests with items! This one contains koala gloves, which is in fact a weapon you can equip if you want to punch enemies. It is however definitely weaker than our eagle sabre, so we won't.

You can also find earthworms here, but we already did those so we don't need to fight them. This is what they look like on the map--in Marblepolis they were hiding under stones, so we couldn't see them properly.

Moving on, we find another chest. This one contains the snail hat.

Unlike last one, this item IS worth equipping, for a slight increase in defence.

Going a bit further into the cave...

...we find something that does not look at all familiar!

Well, these are clams, and I'm not sure what to think of the design!

We're probably a bit underleveled for this area, but it's ok, the battles sometimes just take a bit longer (like in case of these guys).

Several different species on this screen, but we're interested in the one directly in front of Ken!

Leeches!

They're pretty weak, so nothing much to say here, really.

Going a bit further, we find a further two chests here in a little nook. Usually there might be here some turtles and such you'll have to fight first in order to access the chests.

The first one contains the hippo shoes.

This is a bit of an upgrade for our footwear (surprisingly, Ken was still wearing his starting footwear, the squirrel slippers!).

The other chest contains the hippo tomahawk, which is a weapon with +4 attack compared to our eagle sword, but it also hits only one enemy, so very definitely NOT worth it.

In the end, we got a bit damaged in all these fights, so I figure we might make a camp here before heading out. But there is one thing I haven't yet told you about camping. You might recall that there is a screen where you can select what everyone will do during camping--the default option is to sleep. But as it turns out, it's possible to get ambushed at night by a surprise attack from an animal. In that case, it's a bit of a problem since your entire party will start the fight in a "sleep" status, which is not good. You can avoid this by selecting at least one person to be keeping watch--then at least you have somebody who is not asleep. There are also some animals that you can only catch by being ambushed by them.

So when I make camp here, I set everybody to sleep, but what ends up happening...

...is that we get attacked by a quartet of cats!

I get a bit lucky here, because even though everybody is asleep, Ken manages to randomly wake up after one turn, so he can finish the battle. They may be ferocious and have strong abilities, but when their defence and HP is so low, chances are they will anyway never get to use any of that. And so it happens here too.

But can I just say, what a disappointment? They just look like ordinary cats! Especially when THIS is what they used to look like in the PC Engine version:

I mean, c'mon. Why would you get rid of this insanity in favour of just ordinary looking cats? I truly don't understand.

In any case, we have things to do, so let's finish hunting here. We need to head up north anyway, so let's first go to the ark to hand everything in, and then we'll be on our way to Ozport.

Back at the ark, after handing everything in...

...the robot informs us that we're now at 32 species out of 50 required. Not bad.

And now, straight to Ozport!

Here we are!

First, there is a ranger here who we can talk to.

I saw Linda upstairs in the airport building. She was asking the staff about the dead airport commander. I'm sorry... I went to call the captain to tell him about this, but in the meantime she'd disappeared. I think you should go and interview the people who she talked to and see what you can find out.

Other than beating up people over in Dogy Figh, she truly does seem to be trying to figure out the whole mystery between the suicides and the massacre and everything. So I guess, let's head inside and see what we can find!

To start with, let's quickly check with the lady at the information desk.

If you are here to board an escape shuttle, please proceed to the transfer centre on the third floor, in order to reach the orbital satellite Ozsat.

Well, ok, we already know that. But the guy in white sitting there has something interesting to say.

Did you know that the girl at the information desk is actually a robot? She's quite well made, no? These days the only real difference between a human woman and a robot woman is the amount of idle chat that they engage in. But I suppose that is also a matter of personal preference.

We'll take this staircase up.

We have three people here. Let's see if any of them know anything about Linda. We'll start with the person directly in front of us.

Miss Linda was asking everybody about the details of our recently deceased airport commander...

And then the other person in white.

I don't think there was anything too out of the ordinary regarding the commander's behaviour. The only thing I can think of is that he often went to the room of aide Kammer who was staying here in the hotel next door. Do you think it might have been a suicide because of a tragic love affair between them? I'm not sure, really...

Suddenly a ranger comes in and approaches Ken and Sachiko...

You're Ken, right? I was hoping to find you here. Aide Kammer has requested that you come to the Ozsat shuttle launch gate immediately. He wants to talk to you urgently. Please get to Ozsat as quickly as you can!

Sure thing... eventually. First we have here one last person to talk, the guy in a suit.

As I've already told Miss Linda, the commander received a strange phone call the day before he died. The normally calm commander turned pale and started shaking. It was as if he'd seen a ghost.

Huh, this is the same as what happened to that Orman dude. Also, I would here say, "did we just stumble into an Ace Attorney game?", but of course this game predates that series, so...

Well, the teleporter is one floor up, so let's head there!

Here we have a few people also, for example this woman here.

As the exodus is progressing, the number of people on the planet is decreasing. But you don't have to rush around to hear what everybody has to say... Because most people on this planet don't really have anything important to say anyway!

This is so subtle that you're likely to miss the true meaning of this comment on your first playthrough! In reality, this is a direct information about a somewhat important game mechanic! It's really simple, and exactly as she said: as time progresses, more and more people actually do leave the planet. That includes people who work in shops and other facilities, meaning, especially in later years you will find more and more shops getting closed and various facilities slowly becoming unavailable over time! This is an actual thing that happens in the game, although not yet at this point in time since it's still only 1992.

For now, let's check the poster on the wall...

The galactic paradise to end all paradises!

The wilderness of Neo-Kenya awaits you!

The guy in the white shirt has a comment about this:

The one thing this poster doesn't lie about is that it's the "end".

On the other side of this room is, of course, the teleporter which takes us up to Ozsat. Let's take it.

And a second later, we're up in the sky!

Taking the staircase up to the departure area for the shuttle.

First we talk to the old lady here.

When the escape shuttle takes them to a new planet, most people will end up again in temporary housing, same as our parents did when they first came here. Their chidren will have to make their future in supporting them and postpone any fun until after their parents die.

Man, some of the comments that characters say in this game are absolutely brutal!

Next we head through this door/hallway...

The boarding gate is downstairs, but first, we'll go though another door and talk to people!

First we'll talk to the pregnant lady.

I am due to give birth soon, so I can't travel on the shuttle in case it happens en route. Therefore I'm here to see off my husband who has to leave ahead of me because of work. I'm a bit nervous, but there was nothing else we could do...

And then the guy standing there in the corner...

I came to see my childhood sweetheard off... I'm sure there were many other things I could have said, but I just said to her, "see ya later".
I guess I'm ok with that.

It's a bit depressing here, unfortunately... so let's head down the stairs.

The boarding gate is over to the right...

Ah, here is Kammer (and also what looks like a flight attendant in the back, dressed in blue).

We've almost identified the perpetrator of Minago murders! Based on the pattern of the crimes, the computer at the Federation HQ has determined that there is a 92.3% probability that it's "The Puppet Master"! He's a professional assassin, whose identity is unknown and he's one of the biggest names on the Federation's most wanted list!

At this point, the flight attendant approaches, interrupting our conversation.

I know, I know, let me finish!
In addition, the computer has predicted that The Puppet Master's next target with the probability of 38.8% is going to be... me, the aide Kammer! But don't worry, I have already taken measures. The Puppet Master won't be able to follow me in my near-light speed spaceship. And also, shortly a top class bounty hunter will be arriving on the planet, carrying all the known data on The Puppet Master.

Don't tell me what to do. So impertinent...
Anyway, I also found out where Linda is hiding. It was... uh... "Para"-something.
Paraside?
Yes, that's it, Paraside. Please remember it, Ken. Linda is in Para... Para...
Paraside.
I know it! Stop correcting me you annoying girl!

I know! I know! These young people are so annoying these days! You keep repeating the same thing over and over!
Well, anyway, Ken, I won't say farewell, since I will be coming back here again soon! 🎔

Finally, they all go in and we can leave. As we exit...

Finally, the shuttle departs...

Ken and Sachiko return back to the main waiting area.

As we approach the stairs to leave...

...a woman comes running up the staircase!

Has the shuttle left already? I'm late again... Ugh, why does this always happen to me?

I don't know, why does it?

Well, anyway, we head down to the teleporter.

But, just as we are about to head back down to the planet surface...

...a large explosion shakes the satellite.

The flashing emergency lights and the siren come on! What exactly has happened? What was that explosion? Let's try and find out!

Let's talk to this person at the desk.

What the heck was that just now...? Did the shuttle explode?

Oh, no! That pregnant lady's husband was on it! And also that guy's childhood sweetheart! I guess also Kammer and the flight attendant. But at least that one lady who was late didn't get killed!

Two more people here in the corner... First the guy in blue.

Oh no! Aide Kammer was on that shuttle! It exploded! I'm sorry, but can you go around and talk to the civilians here and try to calm them down so that they don't panic?

Sure thing buddy, but first we'll talk to the lady sitting at the computer there.

N-No way! The shuttle that just left has stopped responding! And judging by the unusal disturbance in the electromagnetic field, it seems like the shuttle has exploded! Anyway, contact with the ground is temporarily suspended... it will take a few minutes to repair the damage to the satellite.

Ok, so I guess we have to stay here for a bit. That was definitely an unexpected turn of events... but it seems like the Federation computer is pretty good at predicting stuff, though.

But for now, let's go back and see what the lady who was late for her flight things now!

Oh god! T-Thank you for giving me a life-long habit of being perpetually late for everything ever!

Then we can also talk to the scientist dude on the room on the right side...

W-What the... Isn't it a bit too early for the arrival of The Grim Reaper?

I... don't think this was The Grim Reaper.

Now, the lady scientist in the room on the left:

Uh... I hope I'm wrong, but... it seems to me like we are getting closer to the planet. Could it be that we're falling?

Nah, probably not.

We should also check with the old lady again!

Forget about old people like me! Talk to that pregnant lady in the observation lounge! You've got to look after her! Bringing a new life into the world is the most precious thing!

Sure, let's go back through that corridor.

Stop by here quickly on the way...

N-No... I d-don't want to die yet...

Ah, here she is.

N-No... I-It's not true... My husband can't be dead... Just a few minutes ago we were talking about whether the baby is going to be a boy or a girl... He's not dead! He can't be!

The other person in the room...

Aaah... why? Why did it explode like that?

And then back again once more to the pregnant lady...

I-It's ok. I will be ok. I have to be strong for my baby!

Finally, the alert stops and things go back to normal. Let's just check if the guy at the desk there has calmed down?

I'm not sure I can keep doing this job... Maybe I'll trade for a position down on the surface.

Sounds like a plan.

But for us, let's really make our way back down to the planet now.

As always, we'll check with the old lady...

Eh. Good grief. It seems I have again failed to die today... I guess I'll still have to live tomorrow.

As we are heading down to the teleporter...

I wonder if Linda too cried when her parents died...
[ Probably... ] / I have no idea...
In any case, I will have to tell father about this immediately. But first, Paraside! If we use the Bird Line, we should be able to get there quickly!

Before we use the teleporter, let's just check with the technicians here if it's safe! First the guy in blue:

Somehow we've managed to get Ozsat back into its orbit! It's all back to normal now! The coordinates are locked and the teleporter is operational! Why don't you give it a try?

Somehow, I'm not confident. Let's talk to the other person...

All right! There seems to be a bit of background noise, but whatever human bodies are noisy anyway. But it should be safe enough to try it out!

Uhh... Oh well, it's not like we have a choice, do we?

Ah, I guess it worked.

Let's see what the tehnicians here have to say... the blue guy first.

That was quite a mess up there... By the way, are you sure you have... all your body parts back where they're supposed to be? You might want to ask her to check you out tonight before you go to bed!

Well, that's reassuring. Let's check the other two people on the right.

It's best not to talk in public that the shuttle had exploded. It might cause panic...
You look a bit pale... Did something happen up there?

No, nothing... don't worry about it.

But anyway, we're done here. We know our next destination, Paraside.

Before that, though, let's make just a quick stop at Hardia and see if Ben has anything new to say.

As we leave, it turns out that this news bulletin they have posted on walls has changed.

N.K. NEWS BULLETIN

All the inhabitants in the Beastian town of Minage have been attaked by unknown persons.

The only survivors are Ken and Linda, the two crew members of the ark. The authorities are investigating the connection with the previous suicides in the same town and also with the massacre in Koshikata a few years ago.

As I've mentioned, even though the events in the scenarios differ, they do share the same history/lore, so one scenario may provide answers to mysteries in another!

Let's head to the Ranger HQ and see what Ben has to say.

But you know that there's only one rule in that town: violence! So please be careful, ok?

Hmm, so nothing about the shuttle, huh? Oh well.

So, let's head to Paraside then next time, and see if we can finally catch up with Linda! Maybe she'll tell us more about what she's been investigating so far!

For today, another funny one from the PC Engine times:

And then one more of those which are concepts for a poster or advertisement art or something like that:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The PC Engine cats are way cooler, I agree, but what really amused me was the random alphabet burn where you have to unlock another type by doing well in dog fight. Is this a cultural thing I have no context for or is it out of left field for Japanese players too?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It was the update of weird mouths. It started out with the boars' groin mouths and went from there

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sachiko's a robot, isn't she.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Probably.

I would have preferred umbrella cat too.

I'm not really piecing this plot together aside from the very general outline of it but I'm for learning more about the Federation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quackles posted:

It'd explain her complete lack of knowledge about good and evil, weird lack of emotions and the fact that we just saw her twin sister (which no one commented on).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

It'd explain her complete lack of knowledge about good and evil, weird lack of emotions and the fact that we just saw her twin sister (which no one commented on).

What ever are you talking about? That other woman was wearing sunglasses. Also, has anyone else noticed you never see Clark Kent and Superman in the same room together?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Still laughing that so far roses are far and away the toughest enemy we've encountered.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Quackles posted:

Either an actual one or a triumph of bio-engineering or some such. The Puppet Master. Well, we see what the puppets are, don't we? Of course, with this game it'll turn out to be something even more weird. Unless that's overthinking it? But that just leads you in circles.

Regardless, Sachiko doesn't seem foul in herself in either route. I hope there's something resembling a happy ending for her. One that doesn't come at the expense of anyone else.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Psion posted:

The PC Engine cats are way cooler, I agree, but what really amused me was the random alphabet burn where you have to unlock another type by doing well in dog fight. Is this a cultural thing I have no context for or is it out of left field for Japanese players too?

To be honest, I don't think there's too much more here other than the game being a smartass for a bit. As far as I know (but if somebody knows more, please correct me), I don't think there are any special rules around dog names. I do think that most often you'll see them written in katakana, but I believe kanji names are not unheard of either. So I guess it's just this game being its whimsical self, nothing more.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

To be honest, I don't think there's too much more here other than the game being a smartass for a bit. As far as I know (but if somebody knows more, please correct me), I don't think there are any special rules around dog names. I do think that most often you'll see them written in katakana, but I believe kanji names are not unheard of either. So I guess it's just this game being its whimsical self, nothing more.
I think it's less dog names and more to do with sumo, as you mentioned. Wrestlers often start out using their regular family names, but can choose or be given pretty fancy names as they move up the ranks, which I suppose would translate in-game to being able to use kanji in your fighters' names once they're near/at the top.

I continue to love this completely normal and totally ordinary game. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Bloodly posted:

Either an actual one or a triumph of bio-engineering or some such. The Puppet Master. Well, we see what the puppets are, don't we? Of course, with this game it'll turn out to be something even more weird. Unless that's overthinking it? But that just leads you in circles.

Regardless, Sachiko doesn't seem foul in herself in either route. I hope there's something resembling a happy ending for her. One that doesn't come at the expense of anyone else.

Leaning towards an actual robot just because of the random line about "this secretary is actually a robot" in the same area where her look-alike turns up.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hirayuki posted:

I think it's less dog names and more to do with sumo, as you mentioned. Wrestlers often start out using their regular family names, but can choose or be given pretty fancy names as they move up the ranks, which I suppose would translate in-game to being able to use kanji in your fighters' names once they're near/at the top.

Yeah I think you're spot on here. Everything in this game about dog fighting is talked about in sumo terms, such as 横綱, 大関, 襲名 and so on, so it makes sense that this would be exactly how you suggest--in particular, being able to use kanji instead of katakana in dog names is referred to specifically as 襲名.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Leaning towards an actual robot just because of the random line about "this secretary is actually a robot" in the same area where her look-alike turns up.

That's what I'm thinking too. You have robots that are virtually identical to humans, then suddenly Sachiko's doppelganger is blowing up shuttles for fun and pro... actually, going by how Sachiko acts, maybe just for fun.