Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

It’s an easy answer in concept and almost certainly extremely hard in practice (and has been said many times before) but if the devs feel that transporting ore in any capacity will take away from the exploration part of the game they may want to add reasons to explore great distances other than ore.

I'd argue it's much harder than even that. It's not even so much a issue of motivation for exploration, it's that so much of the fun of the game is that it's secretly a logistics game.

The entire underlying push to expand, build bases, roads, boats, etc; as well as exactly where to put them and how big to build them are all fundamentally questions of logistics system design. One of the things that's great about this game is it engages your brain with normally dry puzzles like "exactly how far away is the overhead of building a new forge worth it instead of just making a spoke port to transport raw materials" but manages to do so in a way that plays as "check out this cool loving longhouse I built, now I'm going to make a badass fortress in the mountains closer to the silver".

It also goes to things like giving you reasons to explore new areas of biomes you've already completed, to go get that bit of iron or copper local to the new base you're building.

I think the only way it works is if you come up with a system of teleporting ore that only makes sense as a way of linking hubs. They have to have a cost and/or setup limitation that only makes them practical for linking major bases, that way you're essentially adding a new "tier" of a multi-modal network. So transporting iron from the swamp back to your "main" base might look something like this: Crypt > road/cart > outpost/dock > longship > large base > portal > main base.

There are two ways I think you could do this. First, by making it sufficiently expensive and/or reliant on a rare resource such that building the portal connection is a step above building a local forge resource/commitment-wise. This would you could move items freely between your big "established" places

The second would be to gate the portals geographically to some sort of naturally-occurring landmark in the game like standing stones (think fantasy-flavored wormholes). There are a number of ways you could tweak permanent natural portals to try to preserve the good things about the current setup. One idea that comes immediately to mind is to make the spawn area standing stones the "hub" and make "spokes" randomly spawn in one of the higher tier biomes, but there are a whole bunch of different ways to do that.

edit: You could make a defeated boss altar turn into a permanent portal back to the standing stones

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My vote is that you just need to craft teleporters with metal to transport ores/metals of a lower tier.

eg: recipe for portal using iron lets you teleport bronze/tin/copper, portal using silver lets you teleport iron as well as the previous tiers.

As for Black Metal, just have the MacGuffin the final boss drops be the placeholder ingredient.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That does nothing to stop you from simply bringing top tier portals over from a different seed.

I mean yes obviously WOW ERIC THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT but the point is Valheim is (thankfully!) pretty open ended, if you don't want to use portals to trivialize transporting ore back to your safe cozy base then don't. If you do, the mods are there!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Having inventory carry between servers was one of their biggest mistakes imo. Skills Yes, Items No.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

That does nothing to stop you from simply bringing top tier portals over from a different seed.

I mean yes obviously WOW ERIC THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT but the point is Valheim is (thankfully!) pretty open ended, if you don't want to use portals to trivialize transporting ore back to your safe cozy base then don't. If you do, the mods are there!

There's nothing stopping you from cheesing portals using different worlds right now. People can also bring fully leveled padded armor and black metal weapons from a different seed.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I agree that transporting metals is pretty core to the game… but it’s a lot more fun in multiplayer where you have someone to work with and strategize with. Building a road all for yourself is tedious. Building a road you and your friends can all use is fun.

In other news, I finally learned how to melee trolls. It’s a great feeling. However when I tried to show my brother on our shared game, which he hosts, it didn’t work out so well. There was just enough lag that parrying and dodging would fail about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 times, which meant a few corpse runs :(

nelson fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 3, 2022

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I've always been on the fence about transporting metals, but I have to agree it does force the aforementioned logistics considerations to the forefront, without which my maps wouldn't have much personality. On one map I had a fortress on the edge of a swamp that was our iron outpost, and it grew too big to abandon. In fact it quickly became the main base. On the far side of the very large swamp was the mountain biome where we got all the silver. Built a little castle on the mountainside but we really wanted that silver back at the main outpost. The solution was to build an elevated wooden walkway, Yellowstone hotsprings style, running the entire way through the swamp, including guardrails to keep mobs away while we ran the silver back. The entire section was dotted with waystations. If I could have just ported the metal we wouldn't have needed to build that path, which turned out to be one of the most cool features on our map.

Same thing for lots of bridges we built across rivers, with inns on each end and waystations in the middle, so we could just load carts to run ore instead of using boats.

Finding the solution for "now how do we deal with this" is a big part of what makes this game great to me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Carts and roads ended up just irritating me. Huge pain in the rear end to get roads smooth enough for a finnicky-rear end cart to not flop all over the place or just come to a dead stop because it saw a bump in the road. Then you load it down and it gets even heavier and more annoying. I eventually just gave up. If it wasn't on or near a coast to put in a boat I ignored it and sailed on to find something that was.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I've always been on the fence about transporting metals, but I have to agree it does force the aforementioned logistics considerations to the forefront, without which my maps wouldn't have much personality. On one map I had a fortress on the edge of a swamp that was our iron outpost, and it grew too big to abandon. In fact it quickly became the main base. On the far side of the very large swamp was the mountain biome where we got all the silver. Built a little castle on the mountainside but we really wanted that silver back at the main outpost. The solution was to build an elevated wooden walkway, Yellowstone hotsprings style, running the entire way through the swamp, including guardrails to keep mobs away while we ran the silver back. The entire section was dotted with waystations. If I could have just ported the metal we wouldn't have needed to build that path, which turned out to be one of the most cool features on our map.

Same thing for lots of bridges we built across rivers, with inns on each end and waystations in the middle, so we could just load carts to run ore instead of using boats.

Finding the solution for "now how do we deal with this" is a big part of what makes this game great to me.

Yeah stuff like this is exactly what I mean. My friend and I built a canal project through a swamp so we could take a longship between our plains base and black forest base without going a wicked long way around.

It started with digging out shallow channels between the largest deep sections of swamp with poles sticking out of the water to mark the way/dredged areas. We ended up building a cool stone-sided canal with a tree-fort smelting outpost suspended above the central stretch because we found a ton of crypts while scouting out the route and it became our major iron supply line.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Yeah stuff like this is exactly what I mean. My friend and I built a canal project through a swamp so we could take a longship between our plains base and black forest base without going a wicked long way around.

It started with digging out shallow channels between the largest deep sections of swamp with poles sticking out of the water to mark the way/dredged areas. We ended up building a cool stone-sided canal with a tree-fort smelting outpost suspended above the central stretch because we found a ton of crypts while scouting out the route and it became our major iron supply line.
I love stories like this. I also really wish it was easier to dredge just a bit deeper to make canals a bit nicer to make.

Also I generally tried to set up bases in new places anyway, and mostly kept my teleportation to between areas I'd already either made a road between or made ports between. I just found it more fun to avoid treating everything to be part of the same mega base where portals are basically doors between rooms and to instead build a new base at each area. Even setting up little swamp towers to act as ports was fun, even if I had a tree tower further in.

I don't know, the infrastructure-making was fun but eventually sailing loads back stopped being so. I don't know how to square that with stories like yours though.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know, the infrastructure-making was fun but eventually sailing loads back stopped being so. I don't know how to square that with stories like yours though.

Someone mentioned the idea earlier in the thread, but I would absolutely love it if we could somehow set up NPCs to use trade routes. Building infrastructure would still mean something, but you wouldn't necessarily have to participate on every expedition.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Trade routes or some type of automation would be cool. The logistics stuff really falls apart at scale. It’s really engaging and immersive the first few times you load up a boat with iron and haul rear end back to your base. Way less fun when you’re on swamp N because for some reason post-swamp gear requires poo poo tons of iron (even though the crypts and the biome are a snooze fest now that you probably have triple the stats you have the first time you came through)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I can't see needing that many iron trips though? One longboats worth gives you enough for everything at Iron Tier, two fills out the black metal stuff I think. It's different with MP when there's lots of people to equip, but they can drive their own boatload back :colbert:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Carts and roads or paths would be better if carts weren't a nightmare to use while they're loaded up. Making cobblestone roads is also a non-option due to needing a stone carving station, and just using the path function with the hoe kind of does gently caress-all.

I'm not saying that teleporting all metal all the time is the way to go, but I think there should be a way to craft or unlock something to take lower tier metals through. Like killing Bonemass unlocks teleporting copper/tin/bronze or crafting something involving a ton of iron to let you teleport lower tiers.

PittTheElder posted:

I can't see needing that many iron trips though? One longboats worth gives you enough for everything at Iron Tier, two fills out the black metal stuff I think. It's different with MP when there's lots of people to equip, but they can drive their own boatload back :colbert:

If you start doing more advanced building like using ironwood you end up needing a ton. You'll also need a bunch of iron for crafting padded armor.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I agree that carts could use some serious work, perhaps make them upgradeable with better suspension. Fully upgraded just short of hovercraft.

Also, the belt should allow a bit more uphill speed

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Going to repeat my idea that you should be able to swap out the cart's cargo space for a crafting station.

Paving roads would just be a matter of pulling the cart along behind you with the hoe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah cobbled roads in particular are a nightmare to make given the crafting requirement, that could definitely use improvement.

Floppychop posted:

Carts and roads or paths would be better if carts weren't a nightmare to use while they're loaded up. Making cobblestone roads is also a non-option due to needing a stone carving station, and just using the path function with the hoe kind of does gently caress-all.

Oh yea if you're going to haul a cart down a path you must must must use the level ground option to make it smooth as glass. My main base is actually up a hill from my dock but the cart is not an issue on a properly built path.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

PittTheElder posted:

After sitting around smelting my first, literal, boat load of iron I resolved to move smaller amounts instead of waiting for a full boat.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They should let us have our tamed boar or lox pull our carts :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Draft animals for heavier carts would be neat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Saddlebags on the lox

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

There's a mod that lets you do that but the carts kept shooting off into space so I had to uninstall it. I'd love an official implementation that kept them a bit more grounded tho. That and saddlebags for the Lox so you can load it up like you do a boat. Right now you can ride it while over-encumbered which is handy but as soon as you get off you're back to snail pace.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a mod that makes built light sources last forever, as opposed to needing to be refueled using resin constantly?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Valheim+ let's you adjust how long each resin lasts and I think let's you set a timer for automatic placement of resin.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I got my gf Valheim since she likes making houses in The Sims. We played for a bit today with my friend and we showed her the ropes. A few hours after, she texts me asking if I want to keep playing so she can learn how to build cool houses and we ended up playing until midnight lol

Game owns so hard

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Is there a mod that makes built light sources last forever, as opposed to needing to be refueled using resin constantly?

As above, Valheim Plus has an option to disable fuel consumption in torches and fireplaces (I think you have to do both or neither and it doesn't affect ovens). The mod can be a bit overkill, though it's very customizable. If you just want to do the burning torches thing, Torches Eternal does that. I got it through Thunderstore but it's probably also on Nexus.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Knot My President! posted:

I got my gf Valheim since she likes making houses in The Sims. We played for a bit today with my friend and we showed her the ropes. A few hours after, she texts me asking if I want to keep playing so she can learn how to build cool houses and we ended up playing until midnight lol

Game owns so hard

It does. A lot of the magic for me in this game are how many things there are that just come together in the background. Like how a sandbar becomes hard or impossible to walk across during a storm due to rising waves, or the way the light cuts through the fog in the forest, or how chopping down a tree allows sunlight to come into a window that it previously blocked. There's a feel to this game that I don't find in games that might look "better" pixel for pixel. Things just feel right.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Does anyone know if raids persist after using a teleporter? My scenario is that my friend logged off for the night and I was building a small forward base when a troll raid happened. They started attacking my gate and I said yo gently caress this imma yeet and took the teleporter back to the main base on another land mass then logged off

If I log back in, will they continue to attack my base despite me not being there and pretty far away?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Does anyone know if raids persist after using a teleporter? My scenario is that my friend logged off for the night and I was building a small forward base when a troll raid happened. They started attacking my gate and I said yo gently caress this imma yeet and took the teleporter back to the main base on another land mass then logged off

If I log back in, will they continue to attack my base despite me not being there and pretty far away?

How it worked last time I played was that if you left the circle area on the map that denotes the raid area, the countdown timer for the raid ending would just stop, so it would go on indefinitely. On the brighter side, if you're far enough away, that section of the map goes into stasis anyway so they won't be destroying your base in your absence. But at some point you have to wait out the timer from inside the circle or it'll just stay that way.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Phew, good to know, thanks! I'll wait for my friend to log back in tomorrow so we can figure out how to fix this mess haha

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure about the portal interaction specifically (other than that the world doesn't exist unless there are players around, so can confirm they won't smash the base while you're away) but I think logging in and out clears it; I recently dodged a raid that way.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Just had a crypt with an iron gate inside. I broke it hoping to get an iron ingot, no such luck :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was kiting three greydwarves to get my shield skill up for the swamp since it's as far as I've gotten the last time I played and they pushed my poo poo in and thought, "if I had more greydwarves this would level faster," so I had the idea to make a greydwarf pit. I put a sign up that said "free soup" and every time they fell in when chasing me up the platform I'd yell, "they fell for the soup!" I got my gf and my block skills from 1 to 30 in like a half hour, owns bones

We found an absolutely massive walkable swamp south of us on our continent bordering a black forest. Right on the border was a castle so I refurbished it and put a portal for a forward base. We ended up exploring the whole swamp and marking a bunch of crypts.

Then the screen started shaking as we're walking back and this insanely huge spider tree thing came out of the water and it's chasing her and she starts screaming and I'm like gently caress okay I'll take one for the team and put up my tower shield and get aggro and let me tell you thank gently caress for soup prank block skill farming because somehow the thing only hits for like 0.1 damage with a generic iron tower shield and we ended up actually killing it :madmax:

Valheim loving owns so hard. Plot armor makes you content; it's nice feeling like you're actually on an adventure :buddy:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way (or a mod) that lets you mark certain items as "don't pick up"? I spend a lot of time clearing my inventory just to make room for whatever it is I'm farming at the time, and it's one of the more tedious aspects of the game.

For example, if I'm farming copper, I want an option to say "don't pick up stone"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There is not. You can hit 'v' to disable auto pickup, and then you can just manually pick up the copper (very annoying) or take random items from your inventory and spread them over all available slot, so you have two or three with copper stacks and the rest are full, which will prevent you from picking up stone (or anything else).

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks. That's what I currently do, I guess I'll deal with it. :)

Another question: is there a mod that makes the wishbone take effect merely by having it in your inventory? I'm so used to the belt that gives you +150 carry weight that taking it off just to equip the wishbone (and doing it over and over to find silver) makes the mountain biome even more annoying than it normally is. Maybe it's not a huge issue in multiplayer since just one person can have it equipped, but in solo play it effectively cuts down on exploration/mining efficiency by a ton.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm pretty sure I saw a mod somewhere that let you equip both the belt and the wishbone, and there may be another mod that just makes the wishbone work passively.

Barring mods, in practice you mostly only need to equip the wishbone when you're done with vein X, have loaded up your local base / chest / cart, and are looking for vein X+1 with a fresh inventory ready to hold a bunch more silver (read: taking off the belt shouldn't put you into Sad Viking Mode if you're at a point where you're looking for a new silver vein). Once you find part of the vein, you swap back to the belt and get to mining.

Personally I find the loss of the inventory slot more of a nuisance than having to toggle my equipment back and forth.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Valheim Plus lets you just straight up edit your carry weight to whatever you want it to be, and you can edit how much the belt adds too if you want.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Thanks. That's what I currently do, I guess I'll deal with it. :)

Another question: is there a mod that makes the wishbone take effect merely by having it in your inventory? I'm so used to the belt that gives you +150 carry weight that taking it off just to equip the wishbone (and doing it over and over to find silver) makes the mountain biome even more annoying than it normally is. Maybe it's not a huge issue in multiplayer since just one person can have it equipped, but in solo play it effectively cuts down on exploration/mining efficiency by a ton.

Personally I do survey runs ahead of time, locate the silver deposits in a range all at once, then return to mine them out as required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

With valheim plus I added slots and kept carry weight the same. Other than when I'm mining I find I run out of space before hitting the weight cap. Dumb stuff like 1 dandelion taking up a whole slot.