Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

goatface posted:

I hope he gets eaten by sharks and we get a short derail where Mark Trail shows up to tell us how uncommon shark attacks on humans are and insists this one was only due to the multiple broken bones sticking through his skin putting a lot of blood in the water.

goatface posted:

Also the shark is the one from Overboard and it gets called sweetie in a disapproving manner by the other shark for being drunk because of the blood alcohol content.

Oh, if I had the editing skills to make this real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Huxley posted:

I also do not buy for a second that this sticks.

extended "wilbur dying" dream sequence, but then is saved by a mermaid, but the mermaid is like i dunno a diver or rescuer or something

wilbur & estelle make up again at the hospital oh stell i was a fool oh wilbur i should have never said no (very bad no good red sirens)

but oh no!!! wilbur totally has the hots for the diver! Sure hope that wont be a storyline for the next year that results in their break up (and then get back together)!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Some of Wilbur's greatest hits from the last couple of years, I may be omitting details because this is all from recollection:
He has a nice age appropriate girlfriend who he dumps when a spicy Latina dancer cons him into thinking he would actually want to touch his nebbish rear end
He develops depression and to cope he begins loudly singing in the shower and drinking. He has a breakdown when his little shower radio breaks
When he sees his ex girlfriend moving on he begins dating Estelle just to make her jealous. He gets drunk and makes a fool of himself on a double date with what's her face and her new beau and Estelle in such a way that the only reason Estelle would stay with him is because she is a deeply dumb, deeply broken person
I'm sure I'm missing many wonderful details but I feel like these are the highlights

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

This whole arc started with him screaming at a cat and locking her in a room for daring to meow while he was singing instead of sitting in enraptured silence

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Wasp's nest, eh. I'll allow it.

Now, about every 4 months Mary Worth does something that gets this thread going like nothing else, which is really strange because Mary Worth is the paragon of comic strip blandness. The last ones I remember are the extended "Aren't dogs great?" conversation and the karaoke one. There was one that was a bit spicier before that but I can't remember now what it was.

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

Wasn’t there a kid who could see ghosts or angels or something? I think she was involved in a baking competition.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wasn’t there a kid who could see ghosts or angels or something? I think she was involved in a baking competition.

Oh yeah, the child was terrified of a doctor with evil aura or something.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kennel posted:

Wasn’t he named something hilarious like Dr Kaput?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

JethroMcB posted:

It's been sitting in front of us this whole time, brilliant.

Still don't trust this story. They already gave Mary her victory lap of "solving" a problem by gaslighting a woman into remaining in a toxic relationship. Something's gotta give.

The only memorable moment I remember from recent Mary Worth history was last year when the woman revealed that her late husband had been abusive and, out of nowhere, we got a strip about how her dog had taken a bullet for her when her husband tried to shoot her. Then she and the old guy from Up just pivoted back to "Wow! Dogs are truly special." for another six weeks while the revelation of "Oh, my husband was cruel, he'd laugh at me, he would trip me, and one time he tried to MURDER ME WITH A GUN AT POINT-BLANK RANGE" went unaddressed.

Dog good, so what?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Calaveron posted:

Some of Wilbur's greatest hits from the last couple of years, I may be omitting details because this is all from recollection:
He has a nice age appropriate girlfriend who he dumps when a spicy Latina dancer cons him into thinking he would actually want to touch his nebbish rear end
He develops depression and to cope he begins loudly singing in the shower and drinking. He has a breakdown when his little shower radio breaks
When he sees his ex girlfriend moving on he begins dating Estelle just to make her jealous. He gets drunk and makes a fool of himself on a double date with what's her face and her new beau and Estelle in such a way that the only reason Estelle would stay with him is because she is a deeply dumb, deeply broken person
I'm sure I'm missing many wonderful details but I feel like these are the highlights

Estelle started dating Wilbur because she tried online dating and ended up getting scammed by a guy who looked like Danny Devito so Mary suggested she date Wilbur instead.

Also, I hope Wilbur stays dead.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CommonShore posted:

So what have been the actually exciting Mary Worth moments in the last few years? Please refresh my memory.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
The people who were guessing the cobwebs were the core of the lie were only half right!

Elsewhere: drat that's a weird car drawing.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Careful, Narda...it's windy.

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics
The people who were guessing the cobwebs were the core of the lie were only half right!

But if they dropped something in there, they must have been there at least once before, when he might easily have seen that the curtains were AAAGH why am I arguing with a poorly-adapted children's story from 43 years ago

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman
Oh no, the guy with the iron fists slowly walked up and punched their guns to pieces! Whatever could they have done to prevent that?!
(his beard looks like two silly fangs in the third panel)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:
Ha ha...ha?

F Minus

Now that's funny.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth
Just wanted to add my two cents to the Wilbur's dead discussion. I don't think they're going to actually kill Wilbur. If he doesn't get rescued immediately and is presumed dead, he will be back, probably within the year.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Didn't even say hello.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kennel posted:

Did the child end up being correct?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did the child end up being correct?

OH YES!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

...Why did they try to burn down the building from the inside? Is this a weird insurance scam, where they decided to turn on each other midway through the arson?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"To dark to tell that it was velvet" also doesn't work when there's light from a y'know... fire.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If Wilbur has to come back, I'm hoping first a big funeral with the works, then desert island arc where a Wilbur with hobo beard and maybe memory loss survives for months (without losing weight, somehow) before a glorious return to Worthopolis.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

maltesh posted:

...Why did they try to burn down the building from the inside? Is this a weird insurance scam, where they decided to turn on each other midway through the arson?

If I remember the story right, they found the will and everything was left to a third, previously unknown sibling, so they faked fighting and burnt the house down so they could destroy it and split what was left instead of not getting anything at all.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

davidspackage posted:

If Wilbur has to come back, I'm hoping first a big funeral with the works, then desert island arc where a Wilbur with hobo beard and maybe memory loss survives for months (without losing weight, somehow) before a glorious return to Worthopolis.

He will come back convinced that he is Tom Hanks' character in Castaway. Or maybe that he is Tom Hanks himself.

Winstons 1 through 8 will have been violently deflated for not being affectionate enough.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr. Jeff is very blasé about criminal negligence killing somebody, but jeez, Mary, like you’ve never needed a little horse to get through the day?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Wilbur washes ashore on Sandwich Island and is unsure if he wants to return...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Kivas are an incredibly old Native American construction, as in pre-European-contact old. What their original purpose is... well, it's hard to say - but it does seem to be true that they were considered holy sites from the people who re-discovered them later, or Luckner has the ghost cornered..., or... DOES HE?!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

I think these poor weak young men have every reason to fear Amy’s big teen energy.

Bobbins today because I accidentally got ahead of Bad Machinery by a strip.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Dr. Jeff is very blasé about criminal negligence killing somebody, but jeez, Mary, like you’ve never needed a little horse to get through the day?

Mary's right, why go to the trouble and lack of quality control of street drugs when he could just steal a patient's meds?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My god…. It’s beautiful.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

JethroMcB posted:

It's been sitting in front of us this whole time, brilliant.

Still don't trust this story. They already gave Mary her victory lap of "solving" a problem by gaslighting a woman into remaining in a toxic relationship. Something's gotta give.

That's exactly why this story, if played honestly, would give a lot of opportunity for good drama. All the major characters involved have significant conflicts to deal with from Wilbur's death. Estelle and Iris, though both fully justified in their rejections of Wilbur, are still going to have survivor's grief and the question of whether they could have done things differently. And I think Moy has been hinting for some time that Mary's meddling is not as awesome as Mary thinks it is and this would be a good opportunity for Mary to confront her overconfidence. There could be an additional layer of drama from the fact that Wilbur's situation would probably not be absolutely clear to the other characters so they'd have uncertainty to deal with as well. Plus the underlying situation - an unnecessary death of somebody with character flaws but not deserving of capital punishment - is a real and meaningful issue most of us have to deal with at some point in our lives.

There's a lot of opportunity for good stories here. On the flip side, if this is a dream sequence or Wilbur gets some miraculous rescue, Mary Worth becomes a joke strip (much as the "it was all a dream" destroyed Dallas) and I think Moy knows that too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He’s gonna wake up soaked in piss on his bed.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Crab Dad posted:

Panel 2: The cat laughs victoriously.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: New chapter!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

goatface posted:

I hope he gets eaten by sharks and we get a short derail where Mark Trail shows up to tell us how uncommon shark attacks on humans are and insists this one was only due to the multiple broken bones sticking through his skin putting a lot of blood in the water.

Mary Worth did have a Phantom crossover, so hey, there's hope!

Axa in: Moonraker!

Alternate title: "This is my hole! It was made for me!"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pour one out for a true homie

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaDunnBCN/status/1480688078171770881?t=L7rfhJ9lv_OZP11lkAYENA&s=19

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Crab Dad posted:

gently caress that, he's going to reappear in Santa Royal riding astride a dolphin, carrying a trident, and looking amazingly muscular and cut.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh, Lupin :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RIP Lupin, you were a good catte.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lupin -.-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Lupin was a good cat and BCN is good, it's consistently a homey and warm strip I enjoy.